• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A death in Lorca

bopper NYC

Time of past OR future Camino
asd asdsadsa asdsa
Im very sad to report that walking into Lorca today a 60 year old serbian man had a heart attack. Myself and 2 women were walking up the hill together and witnessed pólice and the covered body. We are doing an ad hoc prayer service in front of the church at 6 local time. For some reason the church could not be opened.
... A women who knew the man from the camino was able to give pólice some detail

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh, so sorry you had to see that. Life is precious. Buen camino.

How very sad.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much for being there. Death is a natural part of all of our lives, but it is tragic to lose a fellow pilgrim--or anyone. It means a lot that you were there to bear witness and to let us know.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I was once in an emergency situation that involved a young man dying in my arms . I felt bad that his passing was with a stranger. Then realized my medical background enabled me to step forward when others there couldn't . That I could not replace his family but his family may have been saved from the agony and fear of dealing with the unavoidable at the moment of loss .
I am GLAD you were able to do a pray at that moment to send him on his way. You had a place and purpose at that moment

So sad for his family, but amazing for him. I would rather be taken suddenly, while doing something amazing, than to slowly lose my grip on mortality while sitting in a chair. Prayers for his family and a big cheer for this Pilgrim, to send him on his way!!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Such sad news. :(

Last year while on the steep descent from Cruz de Ferro to Molinaseca, a Polish pilgrim in his 60's cycling the Camino went off the road on his bike near El Acebo and was killed. A small group of us stopped in El Acebo and held a prayer meeting for the poor guy.

Peace, and may your love ones pain pass quickly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
[QUOTE="........ We are doing an ad hoc prayer service in front of the church at 6 local time. For some reason the church could not be opened.
[/QUOTE]

First off, prayers for the pilgrim who passed on. So sad indeed.

I see things have not changed much as far as CLOSED churches along the Camino.....seems like such a contradiction as the Camino's origins are so linked to prayer and penitence. I still remembered looking unsuccessfully for an open church to say a prayer before starting my walking day in PAMPLONA. Imagine that :(

It's a very sad news to heard a pilgrim died , but again this is like in the real life , anything could happen .
Or the other hand he was blesed somehow because he was doing what he wanted to do , he was full filing his longing .
May this person rest in peace !

A pray for his soul !

[QUOTE="........ We are doing an ad hoc prayer service in front of the church at 6 local time. For some reason the church could not be opened.

First off, prayers for the pilgrim who passed on. So sad indeed.

I see things have not changed much as far as CLOSED churches along the Camino.....seems like such a contradiction as the Camino's origins are so linked to prayer and penitence. I still remembered looking unsuccessfully for an open church to say a prayer before starting my walking day in PAMPLONA. Imagine that :([/QUOTE]
The thing is that many church has been robbed on the last years , and the little village don't have the anybody to be there keeping the valuable .
Even many village do have a church but don't have a priest , ( a priest some time have to go to do the mass to 4 or 5 churches ).
So they only open for religious services .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Im very sad to report that walking into Lorca today a 60 year old serbian man had a heart attack. Myself and 2 women were walking up the hill together and witnessed pólice and the covered body. We are doing an ad hoc prayer service in front of the church at 6 local time. For some reason the church could not be opened.
... A women who knew the man from the camino was able to give pólice some detail
That is very sad and a hard thing to witness take care

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Such sad news. :(

Last year while on the steep descent from Cruz de Ferro to Molinaseca, a Polish pilgrim in his 60's cycling the Camino went off the road on his bike near El Acebo and was killed. A small group of us stopped in El Acebo and held a prayer meeting for the poor guy.
Thank you for the information.

No one knows the hour.

May the angles welcome him into paradise and the martyrs rejoice at his coming.

A small memorial is already in place, which I passed today. It was a sobering reminder of life's temporal nature. As I said a prayer, I was reminded of a benediction given by my Episcopalian priest:

"Life is short, and we have too little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us. So be swift to love, make haste to be kind, and may the grace of God be with us all."
OI000061.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As I see from the photo the deceased wasn't from Serbia but from Slovenia (there's mistake in using W in the name, maybe it was written by German speaking Pilgrim, Slovenia in German is Slowenien) by the name of Drago Žnidar (more possibly Žnider).

Ahhh......., doesn't change this sad fact a bit...

Sad. And hope those walkers who saw it all are not too traumatized.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sad for his family and maybe he wouldn't have wanted to go yet or that way. For myself I can't think of a better way to go.

The original pilgrims on the camino were, perhaps, going to Santiago to find their way to God. Everyone on the camino is looking for something I think. And just reading of every perigrinos experience it seems as if the camino continues to give answers to all of us. I wish this perigrino who died peace and consolation to his loved ones and friends.

RIP

If we can learn the names of the pilgrims who die along the Way, we can plant a tree in their memory in the little park in Astorga.
Hi, Rebekah,

As I posted in post no.25 his name was Drago Žnidar (or Žnider). He came from Slovenia which can be seen from the photo attached in post no.24. I'm also from Slovenia and will try to do a bit of research today and will let you know.
But maybe we should contact his family for allowing mention of him in memorial park?

That is the plan, Kinky One. It won't always work out that way, but tracking down grieving families all over the world is outside my abililty.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back