• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino A December Camino

traveler

Walking is the answer
Time of past OR future Camino
s2015 & 2016, w 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
Having walked SJPD to Santiago and the on to Muxia last summer, we returned for a short O Cebreiro to Santiago continuing to Muxia walk this December. The weather has been amazing, shirt sleeve warm and no rain. There was no snow at O Cebreiro. More amazing to us is the lack of fellow pilgrims. We saw 1 person the first day, 4 the second, and 8 the third. And of course very few albergues or bars are open compared to summer, which has required a bit of planning ahead. And so it is very different Camino. Summer was great and winter is different but also great.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh I would absolutely love it on the way right now, even though it would be a rather different Camino. Do you like the solitude?

Yes, we love the solitude! And it was completely unexpected. We expected fewer people but not this few. Even the road traffic seems very light. The first day we counted 6 cars.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am not expecting many, if any, other walkers from SJPdP when I start in a couple of weeks.

I am actually surprised to hear from folks who are now on the Camino..
I guess they are spread out over 800 miles of the CF and other routes.

That would make for a pretty thin crowd. :cool:

That would make for a pretty thin crowd. :cool:
Last January 186 pilgrims arrived in Santiago stating that they had started in SJPP. Down from December 2014 when they were 260 (and who must have started in November ?) In February this year they were even fewer (176).:rolleyes:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow! what an experience :) enjoy it

zzotte

Can you talk a little about your gear selection for this time of year? What gear is different from your May CDS.
I'll be there in May 2016, but, I'm also kicking around a winter walk.

Can you talk a little about your gear selection for this time of year? What gear is different from your May CDS.
I'm quite interested in that, too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am not sure what traveler took in December, but I am packing pretty simply for my trip in a couple of weeks.
Base layer underwear, light down jacket, 5 oz rain jacket, rain pants.
Two long sleeve tee shirts, l pair (wearing) pants, socks, underwear.
Wool beanie and buff. Down Quilt plus silk sleep sack.
Not a lot of extra.

BE PREPARED for varied weather. Nights can be chilly or cold and freezing rain or snow might occur. Most who have walked in late autumn/winter wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Scan the Forum's Equipment topic to see a multitude of varied approaches. Here's mine >> http://mermore.blogspot.fr/p/kit-and-tips.html

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

I did the Aubrac Plateau in early spring and the Spanish VF from Pamplona in winter. I can only agree with Margaret Meredith's suggestions. One rule I follow for the cool/cold is never to carry on your back what you can wear on your body. If it's not a layer, it's an at-home stayer. (I'm the only one who thinks that slogan is cool, but I'm persisting with it.) Even a rain jacket is a layer, and that spare T shirt won't get dirty just being worn as a second layer...So why carry it and keep it pristine?

Happy trails and Merry Christmas (a day late) to all the pilgs

Rob

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Like everyone else we focused on layers. We also thought we might have to spend a day or two walking in freezing rain but the coldest we walked in was 40 F with a light mist/rain and so we were over prepared. But we're still on the Camino and a cold rain is predicted for Monday and Tuesday - so our thoughts might change. In any any event, since the weather is changeable I'd probably bring the same things next time.

Our list was the same as our summer list which was derived from everyone's list here and so it was pretty sparing. Our summer gear included light sleeping bag (1.5 lb), 1 pair pants (worn), 1 pair shorts, 1 extra shirt, change of underclothes, tevas, 2 extra pair of socks and liners, sweater, rain coat and rain pants, warm hat, ball cap for sun, toiletries, computer gear, and not much else.

For winter we replaced the light rain coat (0.5 lb) with a heavier (1.4 lb) and warmer wind proof, water proof shell. For the upper body we added a light long sleeve T-shirt, fleece vest, and down sweater. The upper body body layers were long sleeve T-shirt; button up long sleeve shirt; tight woven, heavy cotton sweater; fleece vest; down sweater; and shell. We never wore all of this together. The inner T-shirt will left at home next time. The working outfit was shirt, sweater, and shell or vest. And there were a few time I was happy to have the down sweater and it was 0.75 lb so I would bring it again.

For the bottom we added base layer pants (never worn) and gaiters (never used). The gaiters and base layer pants are nearly 1 lb (0.9 lb) and so I have mixed feelings about them. If I were going for 3 weeks again, I might look at the weather forecast and leave them at home but they made me feel prepared.

We also added a neck warmer (or neck gaiter) which we have not used, gloves (used extensively), tightly woven fleece mittens, and waterproof mitten shells. On the cold rainy day the mittens and mitten shells were a enormous blessing.

Beyond that because we were expecting rain, we put everything (yes - everything!) into light weight dry sacks of various sizes and colors. It helped with organization but added about 0.75 lb, I would probably do it again (maybe).

Overall our packs were about 3 (my wife's) & 5 lbs (mine) heavier than summer, helped by a new and much lighter computer and a small reduction in incidentals that we hadn't used in the summer.

This is what we did - but your mileage might vary (and we'll see how we feel a few weeks after the conclusion of our short Camino).

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back