• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A different sort of pilgrimage

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Cycled from Clonmacnoise in Ireland, France, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre.
Since my camino last year I've spent some time working in the refugee camps in northern France.

While building refugee shelters in Dunkirk last month I had the great pleasure of working with two young German journeymen carpenters.

They were 'on the waltz', travelling for three years and a day to work for different employers and learn how things were done elsewhere. They wear traditional dress, a hat signifying their status as a free person, and a single gold earring.

There are lots of rules associated with being a journeyman, like not having more than five euro when you start and never coming closer than 50 km to home. It's definitely a different form of pilgrimage.

For a very interesting look at this 1000-year-old tradition see

A Fascinating Tradition: Traveling Journeymen - Understanding Germany

German journeymen at work. Image by Krabatmühle-Schwarzkollm e.V., licensed…

UNDERSTANDINGGERMANY.DE|BY JUDITH MEYER

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Since my camino last year I've spent some time working in the refugee camps in northern France.

While building refugee shelters in Dunkirk last month I had the great pleasure of working with two young German journeymen carpenters.

They were 'on the waltz', travelling for three years and a day to work for different employers and learn how things were done elsewhere. They wear traditional dress, a hat signifying their status as a free person, and a single gold earring.

There are lots of rules associated with being a journeyman, like not having more than five euro when you start and never coming closer than 50 km to home. It's definitely a different form of pilgrimage.

For a very interesting look at this 1000-year-old tradition see

A Fascinating Tradition: Traveling Journeymen - Understanding Germany

German journeymen at work. Image by Krabatmühle-Schwarzkollm e.V., licensed…

UNDERSTANDINGGERMANY.DE|BY JUDITH MEYER

thank you for this. will also read up on the link.
yes - it's quite a tradition. college is not not ever the only option. in those professional channels - one is first an apprentice , then journeyman, then can study with another master perhaps to become a master of the trade him/herself....after being tested / reviewed by other 'masters'.
when you read books by Hermann Hesse or others, encounters with journey men is often described - i love that they still wear the traditional outfits.
(after i completed my apprenticeship w/ diploma, i sort of ... became a "journey woman" ... but not for long.
it's a most interesting lifestyle - thanks again for sharing - happy for your that you had those encounters...

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've seen them around a few times - thank you for telling me what it's all about. I just thought they were going to some kind of folk-dancing festival...

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back