• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A disappointing day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hutton24

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances October 2013
Camino Frances April 2017
Today I was walking from Melide to Arzua - I was enjoying the walk and meeting new people and the excited faces of those who had come from Sarria. I was happy to see that the litter problem from what we had seen in 2013 was better now.
About 2km from Ribidiso a cyclist was riding toward us, going in the opposite direction. I was walking on the far left hand side of the track, there was nowhere else to move to and the cyclist got angry that I did not get out of his way. He turned around and rode back and blocked me, hitting my legs with his bike. He started abusing me and telling me I was an f'ing bitch for not observing the universal english law of sharing the road. Really? There was nowhere else for me to move to. He became extremely aggressive and violent, shoving me and screaming abuse. I put my walking poles up in front of me in defense and to keep him away and he got off his bike and grabbed me, yelled at me I was an f'ing bitch again and pushed me so hard I landed on my back on the ground. Sure, lucky I had my pack on to soften the fall but I have a sore neck and hip now.
A very kind spanish man ran up to help me and and came to my defence and he and the cyclist started yelling at each other. It really shook me up as it was such an aggressive and unwarranted attack. At the next town I reported it to some ladies at a cafe and they insisted to call the Guardia Civil. The police were very kind but unfortunately not able to do much.
I was having such a great time until then. Now, I just want to leave and go home.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Today I was walking from Melide to Arzua - I was enjoying the walk and meeting new people and the excited faces of those who had come from Sarria. I was happy to see that the litter problem from what we had seen in 2013 was better now.
About 2km from Ribidiso a cyclist was riding toward us, going in the opposite direction. I was walking on the far left hand side of the track, there was nowhere else to move to and the cyclist got angry that I did not get out of his way. He turned around and rode back and blocked me, hitting my legs with his bike. He started abusing me and telling me I was an f'ing bitch for not observing the universal english law of sharing the road. Really? There was nowhere else for me to move to. He became extremely aggressive and violent, shoving me and screaming abuse. I put my walking poles up in front of me in defense and to keep him away and he got off his bike and grabbed me, yelled at me I was an f'ing bitch again and pushed me so hard I landed on my back on the ground. Sure, lucky I had my pack on to soften the fall but I have a sore neck and hip now.
A very kind spanish man ran up to help me and and came to my defence and he and the cyclist started yelling at each other. It really shook me up as it was such an aggressive and unwarranted attack. At the next town I reported it to some ladies at a cafe and they insisted to call the Guardia Civil. The police were very kind but unfortunately not able to do much.
I was having such a great time until then. Now, I just want to leave and go home.
So sorry to read this.I can understand your wanting to go home after this horrible experience,but you are so close now I hope you get to finish your Camino.I also hope the good memories of your walk wipe the bad from your mind,and you find the joy the Camino brings to most people.

Do the English have a law that peds have to move over for bikes??? I know that in the Grand Canyon they have to move to the outside edge for the mules, so maybe this bicyclist was in the same category. Certainly seemed to be mule-headed.

I am sorry for your incident and I have had similar with mountain bikers where I live. They head down a narrow trail at high speed and yell 'encouragement' as they pass. None have ever threatened me or the like, though.

I am glad you reported it and think that you were subject to a battery at the least. Not sure on Spanish law but to make an arrest in the States you have to make a citizen's arrest if they do not witness the incident. Persevere...do not let one %$**^@# win over you. His time will come. One day he will do it to the wrong person and end up on his back in the roadway.

I'm really saddened to hear this! It has been interesting sharing the trail with cyclists. Tried very hard to stay out of the way, but sometimes they are upon you so quickly! Must also be difficult for them as well, although your experience and the behaviour exhibited by this cyclist is simply inexcusable. Put this behind you on the trail, as that is where it is, in the past. Don't let it dampen the remainder of your journey! Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

What a horrible, scary experience for you. I don't blame you wanting to stop. Maybe have a rest for a while, then try to carry on. As others have said, it would be sad if this loser ended your Camino when you're nearly there. Sending you a virtual hug!

Dear @Hutton24, please on behalf of the pilgrim cyclists allow me to tender an apology. This creep was not one of us. I suspect he was someone about for a morning ride and allowed his feelings toto get the better of him. This in no way explains his very poor behaviour. You were right to complain to the police. Please do not QUIT. Take a day off, maybe try to find some lady that does remedial massage and then complete your Camino.

Reading this story makes me really angry. How rude can people be. But you never know what happened before, I am pretty sure you weren't the reason for his misbehaviour. There must be something else and you were maybe just the trigger of his anger. But this of course doesn't justify it at all.

And to be honest, don't let this dumm head ruin your Camino. He doesn't deserve it at all that you even give him more attention. Put your head high again, back straight and say to yourself that one little guy won't stop you from walking! Flying home wouldn't make any change to the situation, you will just be sad later one, that you didn't finish walking.

So ignore this man and be confident, you've earned that! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hutton, I'm so sorry you had this experience. Nobody cycling a path known for centuries as a path people hike has any business not accommodating hikers, and no one has any business becoming verbally abuse and getting off their bikes to physically assault someone, especially a female just minding her own business. This should probably go in the Crime section. I had a few ugly experiences over two caminos also and am very glad you reported this to the Guardia Civil. I hope the rest of your Camino goes well regardless of how short or long that may be!

I agree with Fritzi - you would only be sad remembering how close you got to the finish if you leave now. I hope you can share your story with other pilgrims on the trail and find the help you need to be able to finish your journey. Reach out to others around you. Maybe you can ask for someone to walk with you if that would help. I am sending you hugs and well wishes!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Virtual hugs dear! We all want you to keep walking. So many things happen on the Camino that put that idea of giving up in our heads, blisters, heat, cold, bad food, no food, loneliness, overcrowding, diarrhea (really) and then the inevitable bad experience with other people.
NONE of this should stop you. When you finally get on the plane going home your only thought should be "Through it all I persevered."
That, and an upgrade to Business Class.:rolleyes:

Now, I just want to leave and go home.
Take heart. This clearly has been disappointing for you, and rightly so from what you have told us. If you can, draw good people around you who can support you over the next day or so. Even if you don't walk with them, they just have to be there with a greeting and a kind word when you are having a break for coffee or a meal, and in the evening. I hope you don't let this stop you finishing your pilgrimage.

A very kind spanish man ran up to help me and and came to my defence and he and the cyclist started yelling at each other. .

Kudos to that Spanish man - bravo and thank you to him

Please do not leave your Camino and give power to that poor excuse of a cyclist. Take back your power and complete your journey - you'll be very pleased that you did. and you are so tantalisingly close to the end.

Also after you return home, if you have the time may I suggest that you join a Wing Chun martial arts group. Apart from the very positive physical benefit of exercising in surprisingly gentle ways, you will in time, acquire very good self defence skills and along with that mental strength, calmness and confidence. Legend has it that Wing Chun was developed by a woman in ancient times.

I for one, along with many will be cheering for you as you walk

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Hutton24 I am sorry that you had this negative encounter, but don't let it deter you from what you want to do! You had a setback, but you might be pleasantly surprised by what the camino will provide tomorrow. However, that will only be revealed to you if you continue on.

I know it sounds easy and cliche, but try to forget about it. Don't ruminate about it or harbor resentment. Ruminating will prevent you from moving on, and resentment will end up being your baggage, and not his. You have an incredible story to tell.

I fully agree with the suggestion to practice a martial art. I trained for several years in cow flung pooh ... too bad there weren't any cow patties around:D. It sounds like you did the best you could to defend yourself under the circumstances and exercised a great deal of self control and refrained from impaling him with your trekking poles.

Buena suerte!

Dear Hutton24,
I'm so sorry you had this confrontation! I'm sure you felt afraid and overwhelmed when faced with such irrational violence. Sounds like you did the best you could in an impossible situation! I'm glad the Spanish gentleman defended you and got involved. And even though the Guardian took a report even if they can't do anything. It is quite normal to "tuck and curl" meaning wanting to end your journey and go home where you feel safe. This is a response to a traumatic event! Try to be safe- keep others around you even if you don't want to talk. Give yourself a day or two before you de ide what to do stay or go. In the end do what you think is best for you. Thoughts and prayers for you!
Micah

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You did have a good experience with people coming to your aid. Others sided with you. These are the good things. Why allow the actions of an idiot push you to leave? That allows him to continue to control you. Is that what you wish?

Pray and I will pray with you. This is your Camino, as much as anyone else's.

You are past Sarria, only a few more days to Santiago de Compostela. Only a few more days to a great celebration. Tell us here of you elation when you arrive.

Let it go as a trough that will allow you to get to a crest. You behaved properly even if he didn't.
Last year within our Camino family we had a delightful 80 yo lady (Sara) from the USA. On her third day out of SJPdP she was near Zuriain and on a narrow, hillside track and her friend stopped to adjust her pack.. Sara noticed a cyclist coming and sought to back as far into the hillside as possible to let him past.
He misjudged the space and hit her with his handlebars throwing her to the ground. He speared over the edge and survived the fall but broke his wrist.
After all was sorted, Sara was bruised and battered but carried on.
A few days later she delighted us as she announced that she had forgiven him as he had a "cute butt in Lycra". She was wonderful and finished her Camino triumphantly where even her family back home were telling her she wouldn't be able to do it.
The harder things may be, the more you will truly own your success.
Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So sorry for your distress. My only advice is that I once heard a wise saying that goes "how someone acts is a reflection on them, how you react to their actions is a reflection of you." Please don't let them win. The journey you are on is too important!!!

Best wishes for a strong finish and Buen Camino!

In my 10 yrs of doing the Camino I have not incurred violence as this; nevertheless the cyclists seem to rule the route at times. most but few few have bells on their bikes to warn you of their coming. I have always joked I was going to open a a shop that sold bicycle bells for these cyclists. It is sad that this has occurred.

Hutton24,

You described a definitely disappointing day! It must have been such a shock to be physically assaulted like that.

I hope you can find a place to gather your strength and continue on to Santiago.

Un abrazo fuerte and buen camino.

You can take the good advice that others have given here. Alternatively, you can take a taxi back a few towns to where the bicyclist will likely soon arrive. Watch for him from a cafe, then follow to his albergue. While he sleeps, slash both his bicycle tires. Then taxi back to where you left off and walk on in peace. Maybe he'll think twice next time.

More than "disappointing," rather it sounds like it was horrible.
Naturally, you're shaky--so it's not the best time to make any decisions one way or another about continuing.
Pause, perhaps, to gather yourself back together, and to receive what kindness the way can offer. And then go on. You won't regret it.

The Camino is like the world. There are good things and terrible things. It's our task as pilgrims to figure out how to surf those waves with whatever grace we can muster. And we come out stronger for having done that.
Please know we are all thinking of you and wishing you well--and let us know how you go.
Ultreia!!

You can take the good advice that others have given here. Alternatively, you can take a taxi back a few towns to where the bicyclist will likely soon arrive. Watch for him from a cafe, then follow to his albergue. While he sleeps, slash both his bicycle tires. Then taxi back to where you left off and walk on in peace. Maybe he'll think twice next time.
I hope this advice was not intended to be taken seriously. Aggression weighs more than a heavy backpack. 'Tread softly because you tread on (your) dreams'!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
a cyclist was riding toward us, going in the opposite direction. I was walking on the far left hand side of the track, there was nowhere else to move to and the cyclist got angry that I did not get out of his way.
There is no excuse for such aggressive and abysmal behaviour. I'm just curious why you were on the left of the track? Remember to walk on the left side if you share a road with cars. On a busy track with traffic of bikes and walkers in both directions, everyone travels on their right side of the track.

Well, first and foremost I am sorry that terrible incident happened to you. It was wrong and inexcusable. The cyclist is a bully and I have no doubt in his life he has been a long time abuser of women. That kind of behavior does not just happen overnight. Honestly, he needs one good arse kicking. An attitude adjustment, so to speak.
Please don't let it stop you from finishing. Give yourself a chance to recover physically and emotionally.
You did nothing wrong. The Camino is a footpath, first and foremost. It is not designed to handle both walkers and bicyclists. The bicyclists, while unfortunately cannot be barred from riding on the footpath, are actually the ones that should yield 100% to walkers. Period. You had no responsibility to yield to a bicyclist. I never did and had them stack up behind me, but oh well. They'll get over it. That abusive idiot you encountered no doubt waited until you were alone before assaulting you. Typical coward.

I'm so sorry to hear this . I hope you recover and decide t continue. We are cyclist from England in the Del Norte at the moment. If this guy was English he u apologise for his disgusting behaviour. In England Cyclists must give way to pedestrians and horse riders. Please don't let this stop your journey..
May you have a buen Camino.

Hutton, hi - still there? Excellent! Shock has its effects and wanting to leave and hide is one of them and let us be fair, you were assaulted! Whether male or female a good cry is a brilliant thing to help let go of the shock (though I do prefer a bottle of Rioja) .... look, you will replay the incident over and over but you have to move on into making it something harmless, even funny if possible - don't let it haunt you - it happened .. every beautiful garden has at least one snake in it .... now move on Hutton .. Santiago awaits!!!

All is well Hutton - you encountered a nutter, possibly even a Karmic event, and survived - your worst fears materialised and you survived - All is Well, All is Well xx

Buen (continuing) Camino xx

p.s. Like most of the men on here who have read your post, I SO wish that I had been there!!

This will be no good advice at all.

That sucks. What a terrible, nasty, and violent experience. I'm so sorry to hear of your encounter and although I'd like to say I know how you feel, the truth is I don't. I can say, however I'd probably end up feeling similarly and want to leave as well. Perhaps you may want to consider giving yourself some time before making any decision. Time will allow the immediate anxiety to settle and you'll have the space to decide what's best for you. . He should not beallowed to steal more days from you and you precious time walking.
Jennifer

Thank you to everyone who has given kind and encouraging support here, it has been really helpful. I don't think retaliating against him is going to help though so those who suggested that, I just say no thanks. I did walk today but was a bit jumpy when I saw a cyclist. I have never been subjected to such abject and unwarrented, vicious violence before sonit has shaken me and I am doing my best to get on top of it.
Thanks again for your support, I really do appreciate it.
Kate

Dear @Hutton24, please on behalf of the pilgrim cyclists allow me to tender an apology. This creep was not one of us. I suspect he was someone about for a morning ride and allowed his feelings toto get the better of him. This in no way explains his very poor behaviour. You were right to complain to the police. Please do not QUIT. Take a day off, maybe try to find some lady that does remedial massage and then complete your Camino.

I agree, @Hutton24, I'm so sorry. What a scary and completely unexpected experience. I understand how traumatized you must feel at this moment as a victim, after this assault by a bully on a trail many of us hope and believe safe to walk alone. But, I do hope you will finish your Camino, after a good rest and some time with other Pilgrims and people who support and encourage you. Kudos to the Spanish man who helped you. Try to walk with or near other Pilgrims and continue to surround yourself with the kindness and compassion of the Camino. I haven't had a negative encounter with pilgrim cyclists, but local, recreational cyclists often rode so fast and without care for walkers, sometimes we literally had to throw ourselves off the path, which was frightening, but never did we worry about violence. Physical assault and abuse are absolutely unacceptable. Please take care of yourself, rest and remember why you walk the Camino. Hope to hear you have reached Santiago.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not in my nature to do something like that Peter. I hope your shoulder is healing well.
It's going better ,the doctor said no backpack for at least one till two weeks.
We have a vacation in a week ,will try to walk with a small daypack.
Will see how thats going.

Wish you well,Peter.

We have had our fair share of close calls with cyclists. They come as fast as the terrain allows from behind and never and I mean they never gave warning. We will be walking the Camino Frances once gain and a lot more wary of these people. Without exception, that wherever we stopped for food or lodging, they separated themselves from the rest of us. I know you cannot paint with a broad brush that this behaviour is the norm, but for the majority of them...it is. The Guardia could have easily stopped cyclists until you identified the culprit.

Dear Hutton24,
This was more than a confrontation with an angry cyclist, it was a physical attack. Being a victim of violence is terrifying and much harder to get over than people who have not experienced being randomly attacked can imagine. Take good care of yourself and, perhaps, consider calling a therapist to talk about what happened and how to deal with any post anxiety you may feel. I agree with everyone above (except of course I don't think you should do any tire slashing - although I laughed out loud when I read it), and I hope you will continue to Santiago, however, please do not be hard on yourself if you are having difficulty putting it out of your mind. It's going to take some time. Sending you strength and peace.
Julie

@Hutton24 , What a horrible encounter. It's shocking to realize another human being could act in such a way. This isn't about a bicyclist, but about a miserable human being who has some major problems. To say the least.

I'm so glad to see that you're still out there walking, even if you are quite understandably a little jumpy. You sound like someone with a lot of inner strength and a solid perspective on life. Bravo to you.

Take good, loving care of yourself. You've had some excellent suggestions and you know best what will help the most. Relax, enjoy, and move forward. Wishing you all the very best.

We have had our fair share of close calls with cyclists. They come as fast as the terrain allows from behind and never and I mean they never gave warning. We will be walking the Camino Frances once gain and a lot more wary of these people. Without exception, that wherever we stopped for food or lodging, they separated themselves from the rest of us. I know you cannot paint with a broad brush that this behaviour is the norm, but for the majority of them...it is. The Guardia could have easily stopped cyclists until you identified the culprit.
What a good point. I would think the Guardia would have taken this attack more seriously and could have stopped cyclists and looked for the culprit. It's common to walk alone, whether for a short time or all the time, and not to be worried, but be aware. My last Camino was mostly solo and I'm hoping for another solo experience. But, this does give me pause. We can be aware, but not in control of someone else's behavior. Sometimes I felt a little scared or uncomfortable, but violence didn't cross my mind. I've seen the Guardia on horseback and I hope they are watching out for us, as we are also walking with an eye to our surroundings and safety and a feeling that this is where we should be.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So disappointing to hear ..... thank you for sharing it though .....
as others have said ... it is quite understandable that you would consider stopping BUT don't let that thought control you .....

Keep going .... take it easy to give your hip and back time to recover .... focus on the beauty you see....so as to avoid the ugliness / bad behaviour consuming you .
Ultreia

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you to everyone who has given kind and encouraging support here, it has been really helpful. I don't think retaliating against him is going to help though so those who suggested that, I just say no thanks. I did walk today but was a bit jumpy when I saw a cyclist. I have never been subjected to such abject and unwarrented, vicious violence before sonit has shaken me and I am doing my best to get on top of it.
Thanks again for your support, I really do appreciate it.
Kate

I agree Kate ... retaliation insights aggression in ourselves and others .... aggression that caused the incident in the first place ....
but it is very good that you have talked about it and kept walking ... don't let the incident consume you otherwise it will have a lasting effect on you ... something to be avoided ...

Ultreia ..... my favourite word now ... onwards and upwards .... in EVERY situation move forward

This will be no good advice at all.
You must never have been assaulted and carried the weight of having been trampled. Feeling like a Victor instead of a victim is hard to achieve, a a few slashed tires might be well worth it!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You must never have been assaulted and carried the weight of having been trampled. Feeling like a Victor instead of a victim is hard to achieve, a a few slashed tires might be well worth it!

It may be true that actually suffering as the victim of violence will serve to change attitudes of some people. After all, anger does not mix well with reason. Unfortunately, very few people will find solace in revenge, or effect the attitude adjustment they seek. Indeed, the most likely outcome of acts of retribution is an escalation in the level of hostilities. The aggressor has, after all, already demonstrated a willingness to escalate. On the other hand, I seem to remember reading a suggestion somewhere about offering the other cheek when struck. Was that the same guy who claimed that eye-for-an-eye vengeance made everyone blind? I get confused sometimes.........

Welcome to the world of rude, abusive, all for me, etc people.
Sad to say this has spread to the Caminos.

Very sad to hear of your experience. Shocked. But not surprised. Having walked three Caminos over the years I have noticed cyclists seem to be getting very rude about walkers. I won't mention what nationally but one seems to have the worse cyclists. Even noticed some of the walkers are also rude and lost the Camino spirt.

Know you are a woman. Had he done this to me, he would have been knocked out. Bike spokes smashed. Teach him a lesson not to do this to people. People like him need a good wake up call. No doubt he will do this again to another woman, walker, or old person. He needs to be put in his place and taught some manners.

Sorry for suggesting this response to him. But for some people that is the only way they get the message.
And, there is the issue of self defense. How did you know where his assault would have stopped had that man not came to your rescue? This could have been far worse.

Recently when walking from Porto to Santiago, I saw some very rude people in the Albergues. Making noise. Messing up the bathroom. At one place a few young ones stayed up drinking until 0130 ! Talking loud in the common area. When asked numerous times to please be quite, they merely laughed.

Finally a guy got up and told them they would shut up or he would throw them out on to the street. He stood there until they all went to bed. No more laughing.

I saw a woman walker cut in front of everyone waiting in line at the Lisboa bus station. She did not care. Laughed.

Many more examples of rude behavior on the Caminos now. But I think you get the message. People are different now. Be careful!

Over all majority of the walkers are nice, polite and respect each other. But sad to say there has been a dramatic increase of rude people now walking the Caminos (or biking in your case).

He should have been arrested.
Thought I heard it all until I read your post.

Over the years the cyclists seem to be more into racing from point-to-point instead of enjoying the Camino. They expect everyone to get out of their way. I have had my share of cyclists yelling and cursing at walkers.

After reading your post makes me to consider walking with a good hard wood stick instead of the light weight hiking staffs. mmmm

Bless you.

Last edited by a moderator:

€83,-
I don't think it would do any good, but the "rules of the road (Camino)" should be printed in the passport.
While not binding, at least would give some knowledge of what to do/not do on the Caminos.

Print like ten basic rules for people to know.

i.e.
-Do not liter
-Bikers yield to walkers.
-bury your poop and paper
etc etc

But do we need a written set of rules/guidelines for what should be basic human respect for the Camino and each other?

I think we do these days.

Would written rules of the road stopped this jerk? No.

Do the English have a law that peds have to move over for bikes??? I know that in the Grand Canyon they have to move to the outside edge for the mules, so maybe this bicyclist was in the same category. Certainly seemed to be mule-headed.

I am sorry for your incident and I have had similar with mountain bikers where I live. They head down a narrow trail at high speed and yell 'encouragement' as they pass. None have ever threatened me or the like, though.

I am glad you reported it and think that you were subject to a battery at the least. Not sure on Spanish law but to make an arrest in the States you have to make a citizen's arrest if they do not witness the incident. Persevere...do not let one %$**^@# win over you. His time will come. One day he will do it to the wrong person and end up on his back in the roadway.
No and in the UK cyclists are not allowed on FOOTPATHS (or sidewalks either) not that they pay much attention!
Besides why would ENGLISH rules apply to a route in Spain?
Just an ill mannered lout.
Sorry you were abused (OP) hope you can rise above it,
Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

"If we do an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth we will be a blind and toothless nation."
Martin Luther KIng Jr.

Why sink down to the bully's level?

Is there someone reading this who is in the vicinity and could volunteer to walk with the OP?

There is no need to ask for a volunteer on someone's behalf .... people can be found to walk with if wanted.

I would feel dis-empowered if I walked in fear .... but that's me .... I would certainly keep people in sight in front and behind me ..... that is the intention of bullies .... to take someone else's power from them .

Ultreia

There is no need to ask for a volunteer on someone's behalf .... people can be found to walk with if wanted.

I would feel dis-empowered if I walked in fear .... but that's me .... I would certainly keep people in sight in front and behind me ..... that is the intention of bullies .... to take someone else's power from them .

Ultreia

Good post.

As I stated above, each time I walk I see more and more rude people. But a counter balance to that is the wonderful people I do meet and inter act with.

Would be a shame if walking the Camino becomes burdened with fear.

We will never know, but had that man not helped her where was this guy going to stop assaulting her?
Would, could, this have been another Denise? Bless her.

I believe he has far more issues than a woman on the path in his way.
In fact, this guy has some very serious issues.

Again, I want to say thank you to everyone who has a kind and caring word or a positive one to share. Thank you. It is only 2 days on and I am doing my best to get on. I am ok..still a bit shaken but ok.
Let my experience be a warning to take care. I have seen in 3 and a half years things have changed on the Camino. It is not as it used to be. So, it is up to all of us to change it. Spread love, show the kindess God would have give, be the better people. After all, it is a walk for God, to become closer to him, right? To know the things he wants us to know?
That is how I want to think about the Camino. Then again, let us be real. It is a walk on lonely roads at times, for very long distances and we must take care. This is not a fairytale walk. It is one in a real world where there is good and evil. So, be careful, enjoy, look after one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back