• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A documentary

andywild

Time of past OR future Camino
CF april 18.. CP sep 18.. CF april 2020
Being the Camino addict that I am I tend to watch everything I can that is Camino related.. I found a new (well new to me) 7 part series on Amazon prime (UK but I don't know if other countries have the same content?)
Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed watching (and even considered swapping my CF repeat this april to to the Norte) I noticed that his camino was completely opposite to mine. He hardly mentioned other pilgrims, seemed to stay alone in hotels rather than albergues and walked into the night or at least evening even on 15km days... Not quite sure where I'm going with this but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone fancied something to watch..
As a footnote if you are considering a camino and this documentary puts you off then don't worry, not all experiences are even close to this one
Again, thought I'd say that I'm not putting it down, I enjoyed watching. I was just surprised at how different his experience was
Hugs
Andy

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I haven't watched it yet, but I think its listed as "Hiking the Camino de Santiago - The Northern Way" on Amazon in the US. It looks like you can also watch it on Facebook, where its titled "Camino Del Norte Guide" by "The Travel Vlogger".

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Being the Camino addict that I am I tend to watch everything I can that is Camino related.. I found a new (well new to me) 7 part series on Amazon prime (UK but I don't know if other countries have the same content?)
Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed watching (and even considered swapping my CF repeat this april to to the Norte) I noticed that his camino was completely opposite to mine. He hardly mentioned other pilgrims, seemed to stay alone in hotels rather than albergues and walked into the night or at least evening even on 15km days... Not quite sure where I'm going with this but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone fancied something to watch..
As a footnote if you are considering a camino and this documentary puts you off then don't worry, not all experiences are even close to this one
Again, thought I'd say that I'm not putting it down, I enjoyed watching. I was just surprised at how different his experience was
Hugs
Andy
Hi Andy,

I finished the CF this last October and had some time to spend before heading home. I decided to walk part of the CN. I walked 5 days between Bilbao and Santander. My experience totally confirmed your perception of the differences between the two. A few observations:

1. The scenery was outstanding.
2. The “feel” was totally different than CF. It was more of a very poorly marked collection of hiking trails than a pilgrimage.
3. On 3 of the 5 days while walking I did not see another pilgrim. Be ready for plenty of solitude.
4. There isn’t a sense of a coherent route. This is complicated by so many “alternative” routes every day. There lacks a common narrative.
5. Hotels are the only alternative on many days.
6. A lot of the route puts you on very busy two-lane roads often without a shoulder. It’s you and the cars and trucks.
7. I stayed in two albergues and there was none of the “feel” that you have in most of the albergues I experienced on CF.
8. I’m mentioning it again: poorly marked routes.

I would grant that my time in late October was “out of season”. It might be different during Summer. Buen Caminos, Tom

Hugs
Andy
I will definitely check it out. I would definitely recommend doing the Norte. The only negative is that at my advanced age of 64 (when I walked it) It was definitely more difficult along the coast than the CF or the CP by far, in my mind and body at least. There is also alot of road walking. There are variants but figuring out and reading the GPS was above my technological capabilities. But there are lots of choices to avoid the roads if you want. But you seem to be a hearty and strapping young man so I doubt you will have the same pain of all those early morning ups, and afternoon downs.
The plusses are numerous. The food is better, by far, than the CF. Especially for someone like me who is a budget traveler. The crowds are less crowded. I walked in late September until about the first of November and never felt like there was a bed race early on. One big difference I found in regards to people. This may be an anomaly as I only walked once. When you walk the CF and you get to big cities; Logrono, Burgos, Leon. People leave the Camino, especially Europeans, usually due to time restraints but new people start to walk and replace them. Of course Sarria is a wholeeeeeee other ball of wax. On the Norte, when you arrive in Bilbao, Santander and Gijon people leave to go home but you really do not get "replacement" Perigrinos. I also noticed that a large proportion of the Perigrinos I walked with chose to go south on the Primitivo. The last third or so of my Camino I never saw more than a few pilgrims in a day and was alone on some nights in albergues and others with just a few people. Maximum about 4 or 5. I personally loved it. I found that there were a much higher percentage of young people on the Norte. I was really blessed meeting them. They, as well as other pilgrims that were older, seemed different than the pilgrims I have met on the CF or CP. The young ones did not, for the most part seem lost or thought it was a cool idea to walk. They all seemed to have a purpose. Yes they partied a little but no where near as much as what I have seen on the CF. Almost every one of them were well educated, thoughtful, funny and warm. They all seemed to have jobs that "gave back" to their communities or country. Of course not all fit this but many did. The other thing I noticed was that the importance of a "Camino Family" was not very important at all to most on the Norte. Yes people would often agree to meet at a certain albergue at night. But there was a much greater show of independence and walking your own camino and many more pilgrims walking alone.
Now the best for last. The scenery, the feelings you get when you walk, the memories that are implanted in your mind. The scenery, the oceans, mountains, some of the paths along the cliffs above the ocean were beyond spectacular.
I think you would not regret it if you walk from Irun.
PS The ice cream at Gelateria Boulevard on Alameda del Blvd., 10 in San Sebastian, on its own is worth the trip!!!!

Hi Andy,

I finished the CF this last October and had some time to spend before heading home. I decided to walk part of the CN. I walked 5 days between Bilbao and Santander. My experience totally confirmed your perception of the differences between the two. A few observations:

1. The scenery was outstanding.
2. The “feel” was totally different than CF. It was more of a very poorly marked collection of hiking trails than a pilgrimage.
3. On 3 of the 5 days while walking I did not see another pilgrim. Be ready for plenty of solitude.
4. There isn’t a sense of a coherent route. This is complicated by so many “alternative” routes every day. There lacks a common narrative.
5. Hotels are the only alternative on many days.
6. A lot of the route puts you on very busy two-lane roads often without a shoulder. It’s you and the cars and trucks.
7. I stayed in two albergues and there was none of the “feel” that you have in most of the albergues I experienced on CF.
8. I’m mentioning it again: poorly marked routes.

I would grant that my time in late October was “out of season”. It might be different during Summer. Buen Caminos, Tom
It is weird I had a completely different experience Zordmat. I had no problems with the markings, I thought it was pretty well marked. (But it was my 4th camino). There are alot of variants but you do not need to take them. Did you have a guide book or an app? I walked in late September and by the final third it was late October and although there are not alot of albergues open I never really had a problem finding one. Yes later in the year there are just a few of us walking but that was fine for me. Early on I thought there were plenty of albergues open and it might be a different feel for you because I think (as I mentioned in my post here) that people, when I walked seemed more independent and don't feel a need to join a "family". Having said this I found the people I walked with just as generous, kind, caring, funny and memorable as on any of my other Caminos.
I think you should walk again because 5 days is a pretty small sample size and you may find that you will have a whole new take on the Norte. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hugs
Andy
Watched it too and got the same impression that you did. It was one of those videos that the narrator is the complete focus and everything else is secondary. I didn't ever feel like he was a pilgrim at all. There are lots of great shots of scenery but it is, as you said, totally void of any kind of pilgrimage experience or mindset.

Are there alternatives to walking on busy roads on the norte? I am interested in walking this Camino but this is a major issue.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is road walking on the Norte, but I wouldn't say that the roads are busy.
No route alternatives to avoid the road walking? I did a fair bit of it on the Invierno last summer and was not a fan. I prefer to be away from cars and roads as much as possible.

I'm disappointed. I thought that @andywild was going to announce that he's making a documentary about his Camino. That's one that I'd surely watch!

An Andy WIld documentary? That and a six pack of beer would be a great night in front of the tube ! :) LOL!

Hugs
Andy
Hi Andy
So you are repeating the CF this April which is a fab time to go. I was thinking of doing the same having walked the CF in April/May 2018.
Have you thought about the Norte? It is different obvs than the CF but it is an incredible journey (with variants too). You would meet lots of pilgrims and there are great hostels. Just saying!
Lucy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The last four years my wife and I have done the the CF, (twice) CP and last year, in the fall, we did the full Norte. This Camino was tougher. We are not spring chickens, she was pushing 63 and I turned 67 on the Norte. Get past the first 7 days and you can get through the Norte. It is so different then the CF and CP but so worth it if your up to the task. You can catch a glimpse of out daily journey on Instagram @t_vela_aka_lb_pilgrim.
Like others have stated, the highway walking is tough at times with cars and trucks but that is small part. That being said there is a lot of pavement underfoot. As said before there isn’t the Camino family building like the CF. The positive to that is there aren’t lines when getting that morning cafè! We started in Irùn and we did become part of a small group of younger pilgrims that motivated and inspire us. There are many days you see only a few pilgrims but that was not a bad thing for us. The large cities like Bilbao, Santander, and Gijón were beautiful. We took an extra day in Bilbao and Gijón. Some days we cut short the long 30k stages. However there were days where we sucked it up and got through the 30k days. We did 41 walking days and 4 days off. We took our time and never did we walk in after 4:00, except day one😜(Irùn to San Sebastián). We live in California and we have beautiful beaches but the coastal beaches of the Norte were incredible! One thing you can’t get on the CF is morning cafè on the beach! I can’t think of one town that didn’t have albergues. We did both albergues and hostels. Now the CF will always be special to us because you can’t ever repeat or replace your first Camino! The Norte however is also very special because it is different, it is beautiful, it is tougher and the feel is very different than the CF. When you get to Sarria it is apparent how special the Norte really is.

Last edited:
Hugs
Andy
Just watched some of those u tube vids. And there is nothing of the interesting albergues, places to see and people you meet. There are places such as sobado de monxes which barely get a mention. So dont be put off by those vids.
Lucy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I might have to get my camera out and do a CF vlog!!!
The problem is you are then worrying about the bloody vlog and not actually seeing/ taking it all in, if you get me?

The problem is you are then worrying about the bloody vlog and not actually seeing/ taking it all in, if you get me?
Hmm yeah maybe... I guess I kind of do that with my blog. Although I just Camino all day and then try and remember at night when I write.. I guess the vlog would be more intrusive to the day... Stuff it, I'll stick to blogging. If I carry on then one day I might even get good at it 😀😀

Hmm yeah maybe... I guess I kind of do that with my blog. Although I just Camino all day and then try and remember at night when I write.. I guess the vlog would be more intrusive to the day... Stuff it, I'll stick to blogging. If I carry on then one day I might even get good at it 😀😀
Keep doing your blogs Andy I loved the first CF one. I was a few weeks behind you I seem to remember.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hugs
Andy
Thx Andy - i will try and find it. I'm doing another Camino in April - walking from Cluny France to Le Puys to SJPP - 1100-1200km (no one ever knows the real distance). After that, thinking the Norte before i get too old and stiff !

I watched the first episode and want to put in a good word for it! I though the video was well done although not very compelling from an emotional point of view. It gave a good idea of the variety of scenery, decisions, daily routine, weather, terrain, puddle-jumping, etc. that people wonder about before they have ever done a camino.

It is true that didn't show the albergue experience, or get into stories of motivations, human condition, etc. That would be a much more difficult project.

As we have discussed on other threads, not everyone is attracted to the intense "family" immersion experience for their Camino. Many people are repelled by the expectation that they will participate in that type of bonding. This video showed that they can be alone and thoroughly enjoy the experience.

I cycled it with my husband from Santander in 2017. It was hard work. Lots of pushing bikes on little trails, but beautiful scenery. Very quiet, we camped a lot of the way and used albergues towards the end. There were only a few perigrinos about. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Personally the idea of the CF horrified me, couldn't stand all those people and the stress.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I watched the first episode and want to put in a good word for it! I though the video was well done although not very compelling from an emotional point of view. It gave a good idea of the variety of scenery, decisions, daily routine, weather, terrain, puddle-jumping, etc. that people wonder about before they have ever done a camino.

It is true that didn't show the albergue experience, or get into stories of motivations, human condition, etc. That would be a much more difficult project.

As we have discussed on other threads, not everyone is attracted to the intense "family" immersion experience for their Camino. Many people are repelled by the expectation that they will participate in that type of bonding. This video showed that they can be alone and thoroughly enjoy the experience.
I totally agree. I enjoyed the documentary and would happily recommend it to others but still think it lacked the aspects that would draw me to do it.. I love the family side of it.. each to their own I guess.

I didn't watch much of it sorry. I found it quite boring. More like a travel program than anything Camino related....

The last four years my wife and I have done the the CF, (twice) CP and last year, in the fall, we did the full Norte. This Camino was tougher. We are not spring chickens, she was pushing 63 and I turned 67 on the Norte. Get past the first 7 days and you can get through the Norte. It is so different then the CF and CP but so worth it if your up to the task. You can catch a glimpse of out daily journey on Instagram @t_vela_aka_lb_pilgrim.
Like others have stated, the highway walking is tough at times with cars and trucks but that is small part. That being said there is a lot of pavement underfoot. As said before there isn’t the Camino family building like the CF. The positive to that is there aren’t lines when getting that morning cafè! We started in Irùn and we did become part of a small group of younger pilgrims that motivated and inspire us. There are many days you see only a few pilgrims but that was not a bad thing for us. The large cities like Bilbao, Santander, and Gijón were beautiful. We took an extra day in Bilbao and Gijón. Some days we cut short the long 30k stages. However there were days where we sucked it up and got through the 30k days. We did 41 walking days and 4 days off. We took our time and never did we walk in after 4:00, except day one😜(Irùn to San Sebastián). We live in California and we have beautiful beaches but the coastal beaches of the Norte were incredible! One thing you can’t get on the CF is morning cafè on the beach! I can’t think of one town that didn’t have albergues. We did both albergues and hostels. Now the CF will always be special to us because you can’t ever repeat or replace your first Camino! The Norte however is also very special because it is different, it is beautiful, it is tougher and the feel is very different than the CF. When you get to Sarria it is apparent how special the Norte really is.
Hi...I will be walking this May from Luarca to Santiago, can you give me any tips of that part ? Thanks in advance

Hi...I will be walking this May from Luarca to Santiago, can you give me any tips of that part ? Thanks in advance
Greetings Mdelag! Luarca is a beautiful little harbor town. The villages that follow all the way to Ribadeo are are very nice! We enjoyed a day off in Ribadeo. The two days after Ribadeo are long but getting to Tapia de Casariego makes it worth it. Also there is a Parador in Vilalba that is very cool and inexpensive if you want to treat yourself. After Vilalba there are some small towns with not much logging but there are albergues. Have a look at my Instagram at this link for some very good accounts of our Norte Camino. I have a daily account and photos. You can see in detail everyday. Buen Camino!

Thanks a lot, I’ll follow you on IG, as aires del camino. Buen Camino siempre

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.