• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A dollar well spent

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2018)
So I'm six weeks away from my big adventure. It's been a year long education in "all things Camino".
Books purchased, gear tested, flights arranged and training walks logged. Foundational to this important bucket list item has been my countless hours spent on this forum.

So imagine my surprise and concern last week after completing a 22km training walk (yes, I'm from Canada - km/miles) with my Camino buddy. We came out of the woods following a well groomed TransCanada Trail with me noticing (complaining) of red blotchy and itchy legs from the knees down.
Symptoms progressed, resulting in three days of looking like I'd been in a fight with a cat. Fun fact, the temperature was 29 degrees Celsius. (Double and add 32 for F -give or take).

Yes, we stopped for a break at the 2 hr mark and yes, we were well hydrated. We did also go off trail for a couple of pee breaks. Self diagnosis and agreement from others led me to believe I contracted Poison Oak or Poison Ivy.

Fast forward to this week, a 12k training walk in 27C temperatures and the same outcome. The trail was road and open pathways. No venturing into the deep woods.

The mind does nasty things to you when you let it. I'm thinking all kinds of negative thoughts like the training walks are only going to get more rigorous, maybe it's of flare up of my well controlled MS condition, what's the purpose of my regular exercise routine of practicing and teaching yoga if my body can't handle a walk in the park and most concerning, I'll be letting my partner down if i can't do this.

What to do, what to do? With furrowed brow, I typed in rash and hiking/walking into the Ivar Forum and low and behold, up popped a series of posts from others, complete with pictures to validate my experience. The concern (fear) of the unknown quickly melted away as I learned from others that it is likely one of two things - heat rash or exercise induced vasculitis.

Now the good news. I'm not gonna die! I know that heat is a trigger for MS symptoms. Yesterday's temperature was 24C and during my 12K walk, the heavens opened up and the rain came down. I happily finished with wet duds, a smile on my face and in my opinion, good looking legs again for a 56 year old! No welts, discolouration or hives. I will continue to watch how my body responds to the temperatures and increased daily distances as my training continues. I will also see my doctor if things progress.

My point in sharing all of this is that I've known since finding this forum that I would make a contribution in recognition of the value I place in it's many benefits in helping me prepare for my camino.

Yesterday's lesson in typing in those few words to see if others were experiencing similar issues was a great reminder to stop with the monkey mind, be grateful for this community and financially support the good work of Ivar and his team.

Money well spent, for sure!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Your comment came as if heaven sent. I have had a rash on my legs just above my ankles for a couple of days, yesterday after 18km training walk in the heat -- couldn't figure out what it was. So far they are still red, but I am waiting for them to subside. I might meet you on the Camino -- I am starting from SJPP probably 13 September.

:) I’ve just made a contribution to the forum after what I think was a fairly long hiatus, and I’m thrilled with the result. All the ads, and ‘stuff,’ have disappeared, and everything is so streamlined and clean; it’s so much easier to navigate. I should have ‘upgraded’ long ago. Thanks, Ivar. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Krista, thank you for writing about this. As I was reading it I was thinking that this is like my story... except I could not have articulated it as well as you have . I also have 6 weeks left before I leave Canada headed for SJPP and I too have for the first time in my life experienced the red, itchy, "blood vessely", looking rash after hiking 24 and 2 weeks later 28 km in the heat. Not to mention black toe nails before sorting out foot wear. I love this forum, and am so grateful for it. What an incredible resourse!
Maybe we'll meet each other somewhere along the way. "May the road rise up to meet you".
Buen Camino!

At the end your day's walk, but sure to elevate your bare feet above your head for 15 minutes or so (on a wall, bunk bed, tree, whatever). It's also a pose used in yoga at the end of a session.

The two days I didn’t do that on my Caminos were days I arrived in Santiago in the heat, stood in line, got to accommodation later than usual and by then I had the tell-tale signs. On prevous days of warmer temps and longer distances I followed my routine and had no issues.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Krista,
On the Camino last summer I experienced heat rash on my lower legs. It seemed to be caused by the daily use of a zinc oxide based sunblock. I think the thickness of it was blocking my sweat glands and causing the issue. Even many moisturizer creams contain silicone which I would think could do the same thing. I don't know if this has anything to do with your issue, but figured it couldn't hurt to pass on the info.

Best of luck with your training and Buen Camino!

For those with vascular issues, consider taking compression leggings to put on at days end. They make a significant difference in recovery. I put mine on after showering and had no muscle fatigue the next day (slept in them). You should not wear them while walking because your muscles and blood flow are working at peak capacity already. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ru...0630/owners-manual-do-compression-socks-work/
And another. http://www.berkeleywellness.com/sel...cts/article/rough-guide-compression-stockings

What about compression calf sleeves at night like I often see runners wear during their runs?

For those with vascular issues, consider taking compression leggings to put on at days end. They make a significant difference in recovery. I put mine on after showering and had no muscle fatigue the next day (slept in them). You should not wear them while walking because your muscles and blood flow are working at peak capacity already. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ru...0630/owners-manual-do-compression-socks-work/
And another. http://www.berkeleywellness.com/sel...cts/article/rough-guide-compression-stockings

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
What about compression calf sleeves at night like I often see runners wear during their runs?
That’s exactly what I suggested in my first sentence. They work great. Got a few strange looks walking about town.

Your comment came as if heaven sent. I have had a rash on my legs just above my ankles for a couple of days, yesterday after 18km training walk in the heat -- couldn't figure out what it was. So far they are still red, but I am waiting for them to subside. I might meet you on the Camino -- I am starting from SJPP probably 13 September.
As am I! Will look for you along the way.

Hi Krista,
On the Camino last summer I experienced heat rash on my lower legs. It seemed to be caused by the daily use of a zinc oxide based sunblock. I think the thickness of it was blocking my sweat glands and causing the issue. Even many moisturizer creams contain silicone which I would think could do the same thing. I don't know if this has anything to do with your issue, but figured it couldn't hurt to pass on the info.

Best of luck with your training and Buen Camino!
Think I've ruled that out, Ian, but will keep in mind as the training continues. Good point. thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
At the end your day's walk, but sure to elevate your bare feet above your head for 15 minutes or so (on a wall, bunk bed, tree, whatever). It's also a pose used in yoga at the end of a session.

The two days I didn’t do that on my Caminos were days I arrived in Santiago in the heat, stood in line, got to accommodation later than usual and by then I had the tell-tale signs. On prevous days of warmer temps and longer distances I followed my routine and had no issues.

Buen Camino!
Great advice. Viparita Karini! Will start working that into my cool down post walk.

Hello Krista, thank you for writing about this. As I was reading it I was thinking that this is like my story... except I could not have articulated it as well as you have . I also have 6 weeks left before I leave Canada headed for SJPP and I too have for the first time in my life experienced the red, itchy, "blood vessely", looking rash after hiking 24 and 2 weeks later 28 km in the heat. Not to mention black toe nails before sorting out foot wear. I love this forum, and am so grateful for it. What an incredible resourse!
Maybe we'll meet each other somewhere along the way. "May the road rise up to meet you".
Buen Camino!
I certainly hope so, Michele. Like you I'm also down one toenail and am getting some funny looks when wearing my flip flops. Still, so worth it for the upcoming adventure. Keep up the good work! Hope we meet up.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Buen Camino!
This has prompted me to ask a question I've fretted over for weeks now: will it be possible for me to do my regular, necessary, yoga-inspired warm up and postures every day along the Camino? I don't think I can carry even the lightest mat due to weight concerns but I will need to lie down somewhere for asanas/exercises to keep my arthritic body going (including elevating legs). Starting on Sept 1st- any insights please?

Use any flat surface you can find, even the grass. I know softer/non-slip is preferred, but without carrying a mat you improvise.

It really makes a difference doing even the simplest of exercises like feet elevation. I know there are a number of very active yoga practitioners and teachers in the forum, so I'll let them reply with more advice.

Buen Camino!

This has prompted me to ask a question I've fretted over for weeks now: will it be possible for me to do my regular, necessary, yoga-inspired warm up and postures every day along the Camino? I don't think I can carry even the lightest mat due to weight concerns but I will need to lie down somewhere for asanas/exercises to keep my arthritic body going (including elevating legs). Starting on Sept 1st- any insights please?
Albergue La Casa Magica in Villatuerta has a yoga room. That was the only place I stayed that I noticed an area for it.

Some of the cafes have grassy areas that can be used for stretching and yoga.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Albergue La Casa Magica in Villatuerta has a yoga room. That was the only place I stayed that I noticed an area for it.

Thanks and Namaste! (

Use any flat surface you can find, even the grass. I know softer/non-slip is preferred, but without carrying a mat you improvise.

It really makes a difference doing even the simplest of exercises like feet elevation. I know there are a number of very active yoga practitioners and teachers in the forum, so I'll let them reply with more advice.

Buen Camino!
Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. I am getting over my nerves and really feeling excited.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back