• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few days from Lisbon

DuaneS

Time of past OR future Camino
April 4th from SJPDP - May 5, 2017 - Complete!
Hey everyone,

Next year I plan to walk the Camino Portugues from Porto, but it just so happens I'm heading to Lisbon in November for a 4 day weekend. I was just wondering what people think of the first few days of walking out of Lisbon? I was debating walking for a few days, but I know at least on the Camino Frances that sometimes the walks in and out of the big cities can be a bit drab.

Anyone have any suggestions about walking for 2-3 days out of Lisbon, and how enjoyable/pretty it is?

Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked out of Lisbon in 2019 Duane. It’s interesting and very different to the CF. Not what I would call a beautiful or scenic walk but I found it interesting nonetheless. I’ve come to understand from many comments in this Forum that the Coastal route would have been a better choice. Your not as much in nature with the CP. That was my experience anyway. Still, if I had the time and could get there, I’d do it again, coastal or inland.

Anyone have any suggestions about walking for 2-3 days out of Lisbon, and how enjoyable/pretty it is?
When I first walked from Lisbon in 2008, I did the first days out and back using the excellent commuter rail lines. I very much liked the walk through Old Lisbon to the Parque Naçoes, so you don’t even need to leave town to enjoy the first 8 kms or so!

The schedule can be found here. https://www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/horarios/urbanos-lisboa/completo-comboios-urbanos-lisboa.pdf

Alost all the stops between Oriente and Azambuja are on the caminho.

i wouldn’t say it’s spectacular scenery in any way, but it’s a fun way to see some of rural Portugal even when you’re very close to Lisbon.

Others have walked recently from Lisbon so if you preferred to sleep on the caminho I think you’d find options. But the albergue in Alpriate, 21 km from the cathedral, is closed.

And not to throw this thread off track, but I assume you haven’t taken any more walks on the Levante? Those were fun to read! Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And not to throw this thread off track, but I assume you haven’t taken any more walks on the Levante? Those were fun to read! Buen camino, Laurie

I actually took advantage of a travel and vaccination window to see my family in Canada in July and August! But yes, I'm hoping to do another stage or two soon! I'll update my thread when I do!

Hey everyone,

Next year I plan to walk the Camino Portugues from Porto, but it just so happens I'm heading to Lisbon in November for a 4 day weekend. I was just wondering what people think of the first few days of walking out of Lisbon? I was debating walking for a few days, but I know at least on the Camino Frances that sometimes the walks in and out of the big cities can be a bit drab.

Thanks!
An interesting proposition...

My wife and I walked CP 2019, starting from Lisbon Cathedral, and we found the first three or four days relatively tedious.... walking through some quite run-down, even abandoned, streetscapes, tomato fields and gravel roads....

I was conscious that CF had essentially set the bar of my expectations of what a Camino should be, and these few days certainly fell below this.

If I were to walk CP again, I would probably start from Lisbon and do the same again, but at the moment, I coudl not envisage walkign just the first few days out of Lisbon , whatever the circumstances.

I bow to Lauries superior knowlegde and understand that others have found the stretch out of Lisbon to be a bit grimey but we really liked the walk along the river and the ups and downs of finding a way around the old town to the cathedral... but then as we walked a reverse camino which ended in Lisbon it may have just been the relief of getting there. And while the board walk and parks along the river are a pleasant city walk, once you get past this the transition to the country side is pretty grim and for us invoved sliding in the mud past trash heaps... so you may want to follow Lauries advice and skip ahead to the country side.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Duane, have you considered walking to Fatima? From Santarem or Nazarre this is a 2 day walk or a single day from Tomar. All these towns are not too far from Lisbon.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back