• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few days on the Via Francigena in Tuscany

Jomas

Time of past OR future Camino
VF many times. Monaco-Lindau '15. Ass '17. CF '18.
With the prospect of "hooking up" a couple of friends who were "coming down" from the Gran San Bernardo pass, I prepared, with two other friends, to meet them near Lucca in Tuscany. And so it went ... and between days of heat, rain and wind ... we arrived in San Quirico d'Orcia. They continued .... Rome awaits them ... we have returned home. Days off
and calm, once again there is something to put in the drawer of memories ...
f1.jpgIMG_20200920_110119.jpgIMG_20200920_122320.jpgIMG_20200920_152213.jpgIMG_20200920_155426.jpgIMG_20200921_075010.jpgIMG_20200921_083645.jpgIMG_20200921_100804.jpgIMG_20200921_104132.jpgIMG_20200921_121900.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jomas, thank you for sharing your many beautiful photos. I have been to Italy twice and visited quite a few areas, but would love to walk some of it. I have had the Way of St. Francis on my mind for a few years...hope I get the opportunity in the next few.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Elle, Efren Gonzales has a wonderful youtube vlog of his Via Francigena walk. If you've not seen it, take a look.
Yes, I have seen it - up to when I had to pay to watch the rest from Switzerland! I may have to fork out the $$ to watch the rest this winter, when the blues set in - normally.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, I have seen it - up to when I had to pay to watch the rest from Switzerland! I may have to fork out the $$ to watch the rest this winter, when the blues set in - normally.
I'm actually in the middle of it and watch a few episodes each evening. A friend just told me about this and said it is $9.99/ month, but can cancel at any time, which she just did after finishing it. I've watched his Norte, Portuguese and Ingles...not yet the Frances. I wonder if those are all still free to watch. Maybe a loss of income due to covid, perhaps?

I'm actually in the middle of it and watch a few episodes each evening. A friend just told me about this and said it is $9.99/ month, but can cancel at any time, which she just did after finishing it. I've watched his Norte, Portuguese and Ingles...not yet the Frances. I wonder if those are all still free to watch. Maybe a loss of income due to covid, perhaps?
Yes, that amount is what I saw as well. I would be hard-pressed to get all of the videos done in a month. And from what I understand, this is the subscription price, regardless of any Covid impact.

I have had the Way of St. Francis on my mind for a few years...hope I get the opportunity in the next few.
Thanks @Camino Chrissy . The way of San Francesco is a challenging journey but full of magic and unique places. I did it starting from the Sanctuary of La Verna and then I continued some stages (destination Spoleto). I wish you to make this dream come true 🙂

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks @Camino Chrissy . The way of San Francesco is a challenging journey but full of magic and unique places. I did it starting from the Sanctuary of La Verna and then I continued some stages (destination Spoleto). I wish you to make this dream come true 🙂
I have been to Assisi and loved that area, hence my choice, but I'm sure the Via F is equally nice. Do you prefer one over the other?

Are the [short form] videos not on Youtube?

I had seen them before I travelled last year. I stopped off at the Hostel in Montreux which is featured in the videos and showed the staff there the one that featured them. They hadn't seen it.

However no matter how good those videos were, and they were good, the reality is something much, much better.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Do you prefer one over the other?

for several particular and unique reasons, not least the fact that I have traveled it several times (at times), I prefer the VF. Of course, I speak of the Italian stretch, from the Gran San Bernardo pass to Rome.
Tuscany in particular is a land that always gives me emotions.
If I had to give advice to those who want to tackle a journey in Italy (covid times permitting) I would say, without thinking about it, the VF.
However, consider that you can also start from Rome to take the way of San Francesco.

Are the [short form] videos not on Youtube?

I had seen them before I travelled last year. I stopped off at the Hostel in Montreux which is featured in the videos and showed the staff there the one that featured them. They hadn't seen it.

However no matter how good those videos were, and they were good, the reality is something much, much better.

Hi @Galloglaigh ,
I don't think I understand what you wrote :rolleyes:....
there isn't a summary video yet, but a travel companion is preparing something.
We don't usually publish on youtube or other platforms .... it's just for a personal use .... for a souvenir of the event.:)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This Camino is SO calling my name!! Just don't know when I will have the time to spare to do it. I am still dreaming.
I didnt do it until i was 60 after hearing about it just the year before ( i think, i cant remember exactly how it crept into my consciousness). We walked from canterbury, did it in 3 stages so i could cross over the st bernard pass in june but avoid the worst italian summer heat in july/aug. So did march /april to langres in france, may/june langres to vercelli, then oct/ nov vercelli to rome. Even so i still nearly expired in 38C on our final day into vercelli on 28 june. I was prostrate in the first bit of shade i reached on a vercelli pavement for 45 mins - Despite setting off early and stopping several times and consuming litres of water and salty stuff to prevent losing too much salt. There is no shade in the rice fields of the Po valley and millions of mosquitoes. It is not to be underestimated. If you didnt mind missing walking over the pass you could do it straight from march probably. Its strange but the french parts have lingered longer in my mind than the italian part ( could be the po valley has something to do with that!).the fraternity of pilgrims to rome has good accom info. Keep dreaming, you will do it.

Where do you stay? Hostels? Alberques?
Despite the not exactly ideal moment, due to covid 19, we managed to find a place in the hostels (= albergue) for the reception of pilgrims. Booking is a must and recommended. I booked several days before. The average is 15 euros with breakfast. At worst there are always tourist facilities, listed as facilities for those traveling the Via Francigena. Of course I change the cost (from 30 to 60 euros for a double).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Despite setting off early and stopping several times and consuming litres of water and salty stuff to prevent losing too much salt. There is no shade in the rice fields of the Po valley and millions of mosquitoes. It is not to be underestimated.

I'm sorry, you must have traveled it in a year / season with above average values in terms of temperatures. Then July August and sometimes even June have always been the hottest months in Italy. For mosquitoes I agree with you ..... they are always too many! A situation to which they have not yet found a remedy .... at least lower the number. For those who "suffer" from mosquito bites it is not a situation to be underestimated. I always have a spray with me. In hostels, at least most of them have mosquito nets on the windows.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked along the VF last spring, May 16-June 9. It's a beautiful route, and a completely different experience from France or Spain. I haven't been able to put my thoughts in coherent order...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back