• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few days on Via Bayona

roving_rufus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2013-2015) Portugues (2017-2019) Via Francigena (2018-??) Camino from Ireland (2020-??)
An unexpected week available for a camino, but still recovering from illness, it was going to have to be short days and nothing too difficult. So Via Bayona it was starting from Biarritz gare/Station which is on the marked camino route. And I finished up in Beasain.
So a few notes
(1)GEO Gite in Guethery is incredible to stay as pilgrim, Jean Luc is passionate about the camino and spent time explaining, and was happy to see someone on Via Bayona.

(2)Was amazed at number of water taps on part of Via I did. The longest sections without were between Irun and Gurutze, and then Elizalde to Santiagomundi, both about 8-9km. While Hernani to Beasain, I got away carrying 1/2 litre as every few km there was anough tap!

(3) Coming out of Andoian, after crossing footbridge by small Chapel, it is worth veering right to a river path rather than the camino on a main street. It reconnects with the camino at the bridge over river heading out of town.

(4)Finally, I can't wait for the next bit! But this camino definitely needs some more people to walk it! It's well marked, some decent scenery, good food including cider.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for this @roving_rufus. Agree completely: it's a wonderful camino!
I loved every bit of the Vasco Interior ! Did not notice the watertaps on that section but that might be because it was raining cats and dogs and I was concentrating on not falling on my face!
Same! I hope someday to walk in this part of Spain and France without being drenched.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks Rufus for sharing your experience. I spent last weekend in Vitoria Gasteiz and Saint Jean de Luz - it reminded me how much I love the Basque region. Each time I saw a pilgrim, I had a little sense of longing 🙂

Forum member @NadineK is walking the Vasco at the moment and posting photos etc. on Instagram @nadine_walks. Her notes are a great resource for anyone thinking of walking this route.

Your post reminded me that I bought the old CSJ guide a couple of years ago. I think it's time to take it from the shelf and hatch a 2023 Camino plan!

Last edited:
An unexpected week available for a camino, but still recovering from illness, it was going to have to be short days and nothing too difficult. So Via Bayona it was starting from Biarritz gare/Station which is on the marked camino route. And I finished up in Beasain.
So a few notes
(1)GEO Gite in Guethery is incredible to stay as pilgrim, Jean Luc is passionate about the camino and spent time explaining, and was happy to see someone on Via Bayona.
Thanks again @roving_rufus for sharing this, I've found myself going down a rabbit hole of Camino planning!

Re. the French piece - did you follow the coastal or internal route to Hendaye/Irun? I've a natural preference for coastal alternatives (especially when they include a little boat ride) but I'm curious to know what the shorter interior route is like.

And, in case it's of interest to others: Gronze includes information on Bayonne to Irun on its Camino del Norte section.

Nuala

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Unfortunately part of the coastal walk after Socoa is closed, there is an alternative which I used as I had booked accomodation at a surfcamp. I would take the sentier littoral as far as Saint Jean de Luz/Ciboure very definitely over the marked camino. After that it's probably a toss up now with the path closure...
I went to Socoa, turned up a riverside path and then quiet roads coming out close to Château Abbadia, then walked down to beach and along the bay/River to the bridge over to Irun. ( I will see if i can find the link to the official alternative to the closed path section).
The marked camino from Ciboure to Hendaye/irun seems okay and is shorter, and I would probably take it if the cliff path was closed after Socoa.

Details on alternative route for closure of Corniche Basque section after Socoa
What a pity.
This was glorious walking, by the sea with a number of very interesting flysch exposures to admire. The inland route will have none of that.
(And...because of risk of collapse they are allowing cars but not people on foot? Whatever, but it seems like backwards thinking when considering overall risk.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What a pity.
This was glorious walking, by the sea with a number of very interesting flysch exposures to admire. The inland route will have none of that.
(And...because of risk of collapse they are allowing cars but not people on foot? Whatever, but it seems like backwards thinking when considering overall
It seems unfair, though people tend to get too close to edge of cliffs, and businesses hold alot of sway for access.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back