• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few gear questions (sticks, bag, weights)

joecamino

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 CF
So, I’ve got my two biggest pieces of gear nailed down-- an Osprey pack and Merrell shoes (a size larger than normal!) I've been working on other key items-- wonder if I can get some thoughts from folks here before spending more $$$.

1. Trekking poles. Who knew there’d be so many options? Carbon or Aluminum, Anti shock or not. Expensive or not. Do these[/U] look like a good choice?

2. Poncho vs. rainsuit? I put out A LOT of heat moving this body-- Gore Tex throws its hands up in submission around me-- so venting will be critical. Since I usually find it more important to keep my upper body warm than my legs, I'm leaning toward a poncho, like this one[/U]- but open to other opinions. (Also, will I need my garment to cover backpack, if backpack comes with integrated raincover?)

3. Sleep setup. Ultra light bag? Just a liner and/or a down throw? I tend to sleep warm as well, but understand a cold night’s sleep could be a real downer. this[/U] are the main items I’ve been looking at.

4. Wool or synthetic? Merino sounds great-- but it’s expensive, not easy to find in my size, and I’m concerned it may be too warm in hot weather. I’ve found synthetics can get stinky, but sounds like I’ll be washing every day.

5. Weights. Because I am on the heavy side now (see here) it's a bit of a challenge hitting my "10% of bodyweight" target. I really like the versatility, and wide color choice, of fillable ones[/U] seem like they'd be much easier to transport over to Europe. (They'd also double as wineskins. Two uses for everything-- I'm learning!)

Thanks much!

Joe

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
5. Weights. Because I am on the heavy side now (see here) it's a bit of a challenge hitting my "10% of bodyweight" target. I really like the versatility, and wide color choice, of fillable ones seem like they'd be much easier to transport over to Europe. (They'd also double as wineskins. Two uses for everything-- I'm learning!)
Those fillable weights that can double as wine skins are a great idea! Plus you can get an upper body workout at the same time! Excellent thinking ;)

I'm sure those trekking poles will work fine. I walked it with a 24 euro set I bought in Puenta la Reina, and left them in Santiago before I flew home.
Poncho, especially one that covers your pack. I just can't see walking in a rain suit, especially as the weather warms up into late spring and summer.
Any of those sleep setups should work fine. I'm more partial to the bag liner myself. If I get cold, I just put on my fleece pullover. Besides, most of the albergues I stayed in had blankets available. My liner with a blanket over it was pretty warm.
Wool or synthetic? Both good. Up to you and your budget. I like synthetic because it's cheap and if I lose it on the Camino, no big deal.
I have no idea why anyone would bring weights on the Camino. That's a joke, right? I'm puzzled....o_O

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have no idea why anyone would bring weights on the Camino.
The OP indicated that he is trying to get his pack to 10% of his body weight (the recommended pack/body weight ratio) and is finding it a bit of a challenge. He is casting about for ideas.

The OP indicated that he is trying to get his pack to 10% of his body weight (the recommended pack/body weight ratio) and is finding it a bit of a challenge. He is casting about for ideas.
ummm....okay :rolleyes:

I am sure expensive poles are lovely, but my 10 year old Ohikis (current model retails at the princely sum of EUR 11.99) have done over 1300 miles and gone through checked in baggage strapped to the outside of my pack several times, so I am not complaining.

I really like that they are sprung - not because I care if it's 'shock absorbing' but because it lets me I know I am putting enough effort in to my arms when the spring does its thing. They aren't even aluminium or carbon - they have rust!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I loved my Black Diamond poles ..... very light and collapsible so when I arrived anywhere I could fold them into their bag so I didn't have to leave them outside .

I wore merrell hiking shoes and took the very smart advice of others to take out the inner sole and replace with better ones .... I think the ones I got were called green superfeet .... really great ...

Loved my osprey pack carried it the whole way .... was small 35 litre I think .... but managed to get what I needed into it .... threw out some things on the way

Although I only saw one day of rain last year ... I was prepared :rolleyes:..... had the rain jacket and gortex rain pants which were quite heavy in pack .... I wouldn't take pants again .... atlus poncho I have now .... I did get a cheap poncho but that is useless ....

5. Weights. Because I am on the heavy side now (see here) it's a bit of a challenge hitting my "10% of bodyweight" target. I really like the versatility, and wide color choice, of fillable ones seem like they'd be much easier to transport over to Europe. (They'd also double as wineskins. Two uses for everything-- I'm learning!)

Thanks much!

Joe

Hi Joe,
In case you are not joking about the weights the 10% of your body weight recommendation is the maximum you try and aim for on a lightweight trek on your back.

As you can see by many threads on this board about what to carry this is a challenge for a lot of people.
If you can get under this you are winning.

The idea is to carry the absolute minimum you can get away with for your trip.

Merino: I find merino even the most expensive stuff itchy.

I use breathable speciality gear. You still sweat but it isn't prickly. The new quality ones aren't supposed to stink. You will probably have to try one out to see if it works for you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1. Trekking poles.
If you are going to use them all the way then the weight is OK and will do well.
Shockabsorbers don't tend to give more feedback when hitting the ground (hitting back)
You should try them out what you like.

2. Poncho vs. rainsuit?
When I was looking for a poncho I found that they were ok for a watercolumn of (only) 2000mm and that goretex and co were minimal 15000 and more.
But also very importent is the breathability = price.
I bought a Dermizax NX Membrain- Bergans jacket with armpits because when there is wind your poncho acts as a sail. (Event is another membrain)
When you go visiting a church or something I can keep my vest on.
Vest can be used as a windbreaker in the morning.
You can use an umbrella like Euroschirm Swing handsfree (rain and sun) http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/Swing_handsfree/index.cgi?session=Cyfwj30LTq8F7&sprache_land=usa

4. Wool or synthetic?

Definitely Merino, I have 2 tshirt (lightweight) and 1 longsleeve Tshirt in Merino and they are great.
More expensive, but wouldn't walk without. They keep you dry.
I have Merino socks too and they kept my feet warm even when they were wet.
My tshirt kept dry with a light fleece and rainjacket (armpitz open).
The tshirts are very light (Icebreaker) and I used them in the summer 2016 and they were not hot at all, cooler than cotton :)
Off course the price is something else and that has to fit in ones budget.
I bought mine in 2015 and 2016 in preparation for my Camino this year (can't walk now due to medical reasons).
Sizing can be another...

I hope it will help to make your decision a bit easier :)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hey Joe, I looked at your sleeping links, I could not see the weight listed on any of them. I would not buy anything I didn't know the weight of, but that's just me. I personally wouldn't buy a sleeping bag or quilt over 1kg, preferably lower (mine is 500g), but the price increases in inverse proportion to the weight. You want your pack to be no more than 10kg (give or take a few dumbbells and anvils;)), so a sleeping bag over 1kg is taking up too high a percentage of that.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks all. Legit questions, but I was joking about the weights. I've never seen anyone here looking to add more.

Sorry, you had me worried for a sec. I am a dummy! :rolleyes:

For poles it would be ideal to get a pair that fits inside your bag so they don't get damaged or cause problems at the airport when checking them in. You can't carry them on board. DH is buying some over there.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
for sleeping setups, I like the liner bag however did you consider the types that warms instead of cools? This one (link) would likely be enough to keep any chill off on the colder nights and be easy to keep off yourself on the warmer nights.

I'm not a huge fan of washing things every single day (cuts into my post-walk beer time) so use Icebreaker Merino wools shirts, shorts, socks, etc. They come in pretty big sizes and real handy when it comes to being able to wear multiple days without odour.

Ponchos are pretty handy, that is until you try and put it on during a windy, rainy day. The nice thing is that it gives your fellow Peregrinos something to laugh at during the day and again over tinto later that night...! That said, for warmer weather a poncho and gaitors pretty much do the trick on the wet days.

With the ever increasing restrictions about what you can and cannot take in the plane cabin it's time for anyone traveling to/from north america to consider buying poles once you arrive and be willing to leave them behind. If you're checking your bag then the set you linked will be fine. It's not technical climbing so pretty much anything with straps will work well. Cash to burn then check these out! Big price but only 6.5 oz each. Sweet.

Hi Joe, I hope we meet along the way! I did not see anyone answer this question (I may have missed it).
(Also, will I need my garment to cover backpack, if backpack comes with integrated raincover?)
The answer is yes. I learned from experience by having a regular poncho not intended to have a pack under it. The poncho covered my pack, but not the back of my legs and was always twisted and never really fit right. I was very envious of my husband's poncho which covered his body and pack. To illustrate:Poncho Fail.JPG

So, I’ve got my two biggest pieces of gear nailed down-- an Osprey pack and Merrell shoes (a size larger than normal!) I've been working on other key items-- wonder if I can get some thoughts from folks here before spending more $$$.

1. Trekking poles. Who knew there’d be so many options? Carbon or Aluminum, Anti shock or not. Expensive or not. Do these look like a good choice?

2. Poncho vs. rainsuit? I put out A LOT of heat moving this body-- Gore Tex throws its hands up in submission around me-- so venting will be critical. Since I usually find it more important to keep my upper body warm than my legs, I'm leaning toward a poncho, like this one- but open to other opinions. (Also, will I need my garment to cover backpack, if backpack comes with integrated raincover?)

3. Sleep setup. Ultra light bag? Just a liner and/or a down throw? I tend to sleep warm as well, but understand a cold night’s sleep could be a real downer. this are the main items I’ve been looking at.

4. Wool or synthetic? Merino sounds great-- but it’s expensive, not easy to find in my size, and I’m concerned it may be too warm in hot weather. I’ve found synthetics can get stinky, but sounds like I’ll be washing every day.

Thanks much!

Joe

Those trekking poles you have there look fine. Make sure you're okay with having to hold cork all day though. I personally found them a little uncomfortable, so the cheap ones I bought in Pamplona had a softer handle.

I bought a poncho but never really used it, lol. I just stuck to my rain jacket. Although, it had Goretex, and I found myself just as wet as the outside of my rainjacket from the sweat I accumulated lmao.

I made the mistake of not bringing a sleeping bag.. or even a light blanket. Safe to say, the first few nights I didn't sleep.
I'm looking for sleeping bags for my next Camino as well, and I'm really trying to look for ones that don't take up a lot of room when packed away, and don't weigh a lot. I think a light bag will suffice. Plus if you find yourself cold at night, just put some extra layers on.

I had mainly synthetic. Stinky as hell. But hey they felt great.

I read your last post on the forum, and am glad to see you have made a decision! I myself am not the smallest girl around, but hey, I made it work. You will too. Buen Camino! :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is another excellent thread with LOTS of good and valuable information to heed. I would like to add my perspective for you to consider.

I stand 5'11" high and weigh 240 pounds...naked (ooh don't go THERE :eek:). While I am technically obese, I am still 45 kilos (@ 100 lbs) LIGHTER than I was 12-years ago (bariatric lap band).

So, 10% of my body weight is 24 pounds. I CAN hit that target. But, try as I might, I cannot hit the magic 10 Kg (22 pound) mark. The difference is my personal medical situation that requires about 2 kilos extra gear per week. I mail replacement consumables ahead to a reserved hotel every two weeks or so. I mail these caches from the post office at my starting point, this year form Lisbon on 26 April.

I do so only by "murder-boarding" every item I consider placing in my rucksack by asking..."realistically Thomas, how can this items be used, based on your four previous Camino?" If the answer is less than two reasonable based on experience uses, it does NOT go. The sole exceptions are medications and nutritional supplements I am required to take daily.

As regards the specific questions and dialog about named items of gear, once you have properly sorted your footwear and rucksack, the rest is add ons. The preference is entirely yours.

Quality, brand name gear does cost more, but is usually engineered to be lighter and stronger. That does not means it is always better. "Better" is a subjective assessment that only you can make.

As a large fellow, slight variances in grams for a pair of hiking poles will not likely make or break your Camino experience. However, I strongly recommend you have a pair. "Stocky" fellows like us tend to be "top heavy" when walking under load. The hiking sticks properly used (c heck You Tube for videos on correct use) transfer about 25% of the backpack weight through your torso and arms to the poles. The result is akin to having four feet.

The decision to take a sleeping bag depends on a number of things. For example, will you stay strictly in albergues? Most are not heated (or heated well) and even in summer can be cool. Do you like to sleep warm or cool?

My personal solution for May-June Caminos is an Alps Engineering rectangular sleeping bag liner. It is large enough for me, has a full separating zipper, can be used with another such liner for two people, is machine washable, and is made of microfiber. It is amazingly comfortable, down to the upper 50s (f). It is also so small that I fold it, put it in a ziplock at the very bottom of my rucksack and only take it out if I must stay in an albergue, or need a throw over blanket in a cold hostal or hotel.

In the final analysis, weigh everything. Grams add to kilos, and ounces to pounds. I use a dietary scale I bought in my local Target store.

My final point, as regards the weights that COULD be used as a wine bottle. Are you really going to add weight to your daily walking experience? Just think about that. Also, how many grams do the empty bladders weigh? Consider that the ubiquitous and free .5 liter water bottle (it comes with water) weighs nothing when empty, like a couple of grams. When sketchy or worn, simply recycle the old one in the next village and buy new.

Several years, and several Caminos ago, I tried a 2-liter water bladder with my Osprey Kestrel 48-Liter rucksack. When empty, it weighed 11 ounces (312 grams). That tore it. It was inconvenient for me to use, keep clean and vary the contents as much as I could using the free .5 liter water bottles. So, I sold it off. Just sayin...

I hope this is all cogent and makes SOME sense.

1. Trekking poles. Who knew there’d be so many options? Carbon or Aluminum, Anti shock or not. Expensive or not. Do these[/U] look like a good choice?

2. Poncho vs. rainsuit? I put out A LOT of heat moving this body-- Gore Tex throws its hands up in submission around me-- so venting will be critical. Since I usually find it more important to keep my upper body warm than my legs, I'm leaning toward a poncho, like this one[/U]- but open to other opinions. (Also, will I need my garment to cover backpack, if backpack comes with integrated raincover?)

3. Sleep setup. Ultra light bag? Just a liner and/or a down throw? I tend to sleep warm as well, but understand a cold night’s sleep could be a real downer. this[/U] are the main items I’ve been looking at.

5. Weights. Because I am on the heavy side now (see here) it's a bit of a challenge hitting my "10% of bodyweight" target. I really like the versatility, and wide color choice, of fillable ones[/U] seem like they'd be much easier to transport over to Europe. (They'd also double as wineskins. Two uses for everything-- I'm learning!)

Thanks much!

Joe
1. Poles: Black Diamond carbon cork are what I use. Definitely carbon, because lighter and stronger, and the cork handles feel great. Since you'll probably use these every single day I wouldn't go cheap. Also, get the rubber tips for street walking as there's lots of pavement on the Camino.

2. I use a poncho for my hikes for serval reasons. They're easy to pull on and off, leave no gap between back and pack, and can double as an emergency shelter or ground cover for a tent when camping. I prefer a slightly thicker poncho instead of the cheaper, super flimsy light ones that look like they could rip apart.

3. Sleeping bag vs liner: See my post on this topic here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sleeping-bag-liners.25693/.

4. I love wool, but then again, the merino and synthetics are all excellent too. All up to your budget and preferences, but either way, you can't go wrong. Just stay away from cotton shirts and socks.

5. You'll work it all out! Sounds like you're well on your way -- have an awesome Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
2. I use a poncho for my hikes for serval reasons. They're easy to pull on and off, leave no gap between back and pack, and can double as an emergency shelter or ground cover for a tent when camping. I prefer a slightly thicker poncho instead of the cheaper, super flimsy light ones that look like they could rip apart.

Agreed on the "thicker poncho", even if it does not cover the backs of my legs. They are SO VERY useful in outdoor situations, particularly when paired with hiking poles and a bit of cord -- shade, tent, ground cover, bivvy, you-name-it.

4. I love wool, but then again, the merino and synthetics are all excellent too. All up to your budget and preferences, but either way, you can't go wrong. Just stay away from cotton shirts and socks.

I always go for the synthetics, but that's my personal choice. Make your choice based on personal experience.

Now, as to the cotton: "Never say NEVER, and always avoid saying ALWAYS!" Cotton is a hydrophillic (water-loving) fabric, so it isn't the best choice for warmth, underwear or footwear. It is also slow-drying.

On the other hand, it is hypoallergenic, "non-itchy", and won't retain body odors. With all that said, and unless it's very cold, I generally carry one or more cotton tee shirts. But again, that's my personal choice. Make yours based on personal experience.

5. You'll work it all out! Sounds like you're well on your way -- have an awesome Camino!

Agreed! You're gonna do GREAT!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.