• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few more tips

Willie

I took the bus from Gijon to Cudillero as I had met some people who had were walking the camino in "reverse" and said it was mainly industrial and the trail over grown. A fellow Irishman that I met 2 days later said the same thing in more colorful language. Even going by bus through this area give you the impression of Dantes Inferno.

From Cudillero to Ribadeo the route can be very confusing and you can end up doing a lot of road walking along the N-632 which was not very pleasant.

Ribadeo to Sobrado de los Monjes was really good as the camino stays mainly off the main roads. From Sobrado delos Monjes I took the alternative route (o camino Vello) which joins the camino Frances at Brea. This is quite a long section and as I had left from Miraz that morning I only made it to Gandara where there was no accomodation. Bar owner helped out by getting the key for the school gym so I had a roof over my head and a warm shower. Muchas gracias to the people of Gandara.

Be prepared for some very steep climbs on the camino. I found out the hard way that its the decsent that hurts the most especially with a pack.
Also one of the best items that I ahd with me was a poncho as it protected both myself and my pack from the "rain in Spain that falls mainly on the plain"

As I posted previously the camino was well worth the effort, I only wish that I could have taken longer. There were not many people but those that I met were friendly and interesting. It can get lonley and one French Canadian guy I met said that he was "in despair at not meeting another pilgrim for 4 days".

I hope that these post are of some use to someone.

Buen Camino

Dhia is Mhuire duit.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
all information is useful

Thanks Willie.

I'm also a french canadian planning on walking from San Sebastian to Santiago de compostela next summer. I read lots of good and bad things abouts this camino. Your message seems to be realistic.

If I got you right... Pilgrims shouldn't expect an easy one there, it isn't! But once this fact known, if they do choose it, they will most probably love it.

Merci!

Manon

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back