• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few observations upon completion of the Camino France

Craig Miller

Time of past OR future Camino
France (2014) completed.
Hi Pilgrims, Future Pilgrims, My wife and I along with another couple completed our Camino on October 12th. We are from the Seattle area of Washington State in the U.S. We began our trek on September 5th. We walked 38 straight days for an average of 12.5 miles each day. We walked the complete distance. Obviously, due to where the towns shook out, some were shorter (least was 7.5 miles and farthest was 18 miles) and some longer but we tried to hold that 12.5 mile math average due to our time constraint. I'm retired but my wife is an RN and needed to be back to work so we had a schedule to keep. Not the best scenario but that's what it was.

You need a guide book. It's a MUST! I used and I highly recommend this book.
A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago: St. Jean * Roncesvalles * Santiago by John Brierley

This fellow Brierley writes a collection of his own brand of spiritual impressions in it but you don't have to read that part of it. I read some of it but it was not interesting to me. I'm just not much of a feelings kind of guy. The rest is must have information. He maps out a 34 day Camino...too aggressive for my liking so we pushed it to 38. He has great maps with the days elevations and lots of phone numbers for albergues, some historical information, and distances leg by leg. Invaluable. Get a copy.

How we traveled there...

We flew from Seattle to Chicago, then on to Paris. We took a bus from Charles de Gaulle to the big train station. A high speed train from Paris to Bayonne, and a bus from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port. Easy to figure out on the fly more or less. No reservations required except for the airlines obviously. Going home, we took a cab from our hotel in Santiago to the train station. A train from Santiago to LaCorruna, flew to Madrid and then Madrid to Chicago, back to Seattle.

Arriving in St Jean Pied de Port , we racked out in a hostel that night after dinner and struck out for Santiago the next morning around 7am. I have some observations I hope will help you. My pack was about 27 lbs with 2 full 1000cc water bottles. Try as I might I just couldn't get it down below that. I used everything I had except my wool beanie. It never got cold enough to need it. If I wore a hat, it was my OR (Oregon Research) rain hat.

My pack is an Osprey Kestrel 45. It was great! I used Merrell mid height waterproof boots. Well broken in before hand. I figure I had at least 200 miles on them. I spent many days in my boots and pack before the trip walking. mostly with my two weenie dogs. My wife walked with me some evenings and weekends.

I used Wright brand double layer socks (4 pair). I still blistered. It started as a dime sized one at the root of my right great toe. I think around day 5 or so. I put the Compead on it. That stuff is great! You buy it in any of the very plentiful pharmacies in most any town. It comes 5 to the box and is a tough adhesive skin. Put it on, leave it on until it comes off by itself. It lasts about 3 days.

Anyway, my blister continued to grow to about the size of a half dollar coin. I pretty much struggled with it for 4 weeks until it resolved. It sucked. My wife had one as well. I recommend 4 pr socks and do a change half way through the longer hot sweaty legs. At least initially until your feet toughen up to the punishment. Wet sweaty socks and damp boots I believe are what cause it. At breaks, get your boots off and massage your feet. Change to dry socks if really sweaty or even just damp. Read up on blister care of which the treatments and opinions are many and pick your poison. I used the needle and thread thing to little effect.

In the pharmacy they sell an aspirin based gel topical anti-inflammatory rub. I was skeptical at first, but it works! Use it early and often on muscle sore, tired legs ankles and feet. Especially after your walk ends for the day, at bed time and before booting up the next morning. You'll be glad you did.

Fitness...I would say I was so so fit wise. I lost 15 pounds during the trip. I'm not really over weight but I could stand to have lost 10-20 to be top fighting weight prior to setting out. I didn't so I lost it along the way. I am 58 years old and no health issues. My wife and I are evenly matched fitness wise. You will walk yourself fit on this trip. Understand though, the Camino first tears you down. Then it builds you back up.

Keep at it, you will become stronger day by day. The first week to 10 days is an ass kicker. You are sore, possibly blistered, and plum wore out. Stick to it as its worth it. A startling transition. Between weeks 2 and 3 you will really notice how much stronger you are. By week 4 you will be amazed at your cardio fitness, blasting up huge hills with little effort that on day one would have laid you out.

Day 1 over the mountains into Spain is no joke. If you are thinking of staying at Orrison, you need to make a reservation at least 3 months in advance. Its a small private albergue so they do take reservations. They will be full up for sure, so lacking a reservation you must be ready mentally to go all the way to Roncesvalles. Its a haul of about 16 miles over some good climbs and rocky descents. We had no reservation so we went all the way.

As in any endurance sport, eat before you are hungry, drink before you are thirsty. Don't bonk out! Eat and drink constantly on this leg. There is a lunch stop at Orrison. Stop there and make yourself eat and drink. I got two of the fresh squeezed glasses of orange juice (big in Spain) and added a couple sugar packets to them. You have to replace your stored muscle energy (Glycogen). You still have a hell of a hike from Orrison to the huge Hostel at Roncesvalles. Its a real challenge but rewarding after completed.

If walking with someone...this is very, very important! Especially at the beginning of the trip when you are most prone to over use injuries and before you become "Camino Tough".

WARNING!!! If you are not matched pace wise, don't try to keep up with your friend! You will walk yourself lame in 2-3 days. Ask me how I know. My friend Jim is about 6'3. I'm 5'9. He's got a good 8 inches of stride on me. By day 3, I had a severely sprained like overuse injury to my right ankle from trying to match his pace. I struggled with that ankle for the next 3 weeks. Not every day but several. Some days it was pure eye tearing agony! It hurt and that's a big deal. Pain every step averaging 38-40,000 steps each day by my Fitbit. Not good. Don't do it. Just make a place to meet up for the night and get there on your own terms- uninjured. Swallow your pride and don't get injured early on. Later, you'll be able to walk together after you get more fit (Camino Tough) and used to the routine. So many people I met along the way had this happen to them.

My wife and I it turned out were very well matched speed wise. We just let them, our friends Jim and his wife Jan go and we hooked up at breaks and for the night. They were well matched speed wise. We were usually around 15-20 minutes behind or less. Quite often we could see them way up ahead in the distance.

Since there were 4 of us (five actually- as Jim's wife Jan brought a friend), we decided early on to make private albergue reservations 2-3 days ahead. Nothing sucks worse than getting to your night stop and there is no room left. You are tired, sore, hungry and no bed. If a couple or by yourself...this might not be a big deal. But 5 beds was trouble at most times. I heard several stories of people spending the night outside in a pasture under a tree or rock hut. Trust me...it can thunder and rain like hell in Spain at night. Being out on a few nights I saw that happen would have not been fun.

Municipals won't take a reservation. Privates will. Your albergue clerk will usually help you make your next few reservations if you ask. They have a professional association and will recommend good ones ahead as well as call for you in most cases. Having a clear destination reserved takes the worry out of the walk, knowing you'll have a bed when you get there tired and spent. If you like the thrill of spontaneity, go for it. I don't like to worry if I'll have a nice bed for the wife and I. The privates run 20-30 Euros a night depending on what you want, but we were not on a budget. Also, they are a lot more upscale facility wise. Cleaner and better maintained. Some will even have a few private rooms which is nice every 4 or 5 nights.

Ear plugs are a must. I like Doc's Pro Plugs. People fart, snore, cough, dig in their pack and move in and out at all hours. If lights bother you, take eye shades. It's just a fact of life on the Camino. You are in a room with lots of strangers. Some could care less about your quality of sleep. Use ear plugs. They take a bit of getting used to but they make for a much better night's sleep.

Get a phone. You'll need a phone that works over there. Mine wouldn't so I purchased an Orange Phone. Just about any large town has phone stores. Orange is one dealer. You can get 10 hours at a time and recharge it in just about any larger town. You will use this phone to make your reservations, call a taxi or god forbid help- if you are injured on the trail. Worth every cent. Taxi's he said??? Look, we walked the whole thing. But, you may want to use a Taxi at some point to see something in a large city such as Pamplona, Burgos, Logrono, Leon etc.

For example, we stayed at Caesar Minor (SP?) just on the far West side of Pamplona. We saw some of the town on our way through but not everything. We arrived at our albergue around 2pm. We did laundry, took a rest and then wanted to go back into Pamplona to sightsee and eat dinner. We bussed into town. We took a Taxi back to the albergue. We used the phone to call the cab. Trust me... by the time you have walked 12-15 miles, walking backward to sightsee is not in my plan. You'll still get plenty of extra walking miles sightseeing.

This is very important! Be sure your ATM card will work there!!!! Call your bank. This is important. A credit card is good to have but basically worthless on the trail as nobody will take it. Maybe some stores and a hotel if you stay in one. Cash is KING. You need to have a working ATM card to recharge your cash as needed. ATM's are frequent in larger cities. I couldn't get more than $300 Euro at a time even after I called my bank and raised the limit. If it won't give you 500 euros at a time, try 300. It should work. You may have to try a few different big name banks before you find one on your home bank's system. I had a few issues early on trying to get money. Be sure to let your bank know what you are up to or they will turn your card off...not a good feeling.

Take some bug repellant. They don't seem to sell it there. The Gnats and Flies are really annoying in parts of the Camino. They seem to really like getting in your eyes and face. This is mostly on the central plains or "the flats" in the central part as I call them. Several days of long, strait flats and farm fields as far as the eye can see. We started walking at first light or just before. Its cool then and the bugs are not out yet. By 0915 or so, the sun is rising and the fliers are coming out. Get a sweat going...and you will sweat, here they come right in your face. Gnats and small to medium black flies. I would have sold my soul for a can of Deep Woods Off. The Spaniards don't seem to mind them. I hated them. They won't leave you alone. They love you.

Carry a small microfiber towel on your pack strap to wipe your face, sun glasses, back of the neck. It can be punishingly warm to just flat hot. Drink early and often. Hydrate! Until Galacia where its cool and you leave the bugs behind.

Be mentally ready for the routine of walking day in and day out for weeks. Some hikes were really scenic. Some...not so much. Anyone remember the hike into Burgos along the airport? By the time I hit Leon, I was um....well pretty much ready to go home. I really only had these thoughts early in the morning as I was booting up. After I got going, I was all in. Its a long time to be away from home. I missed my dogs and kids (who are grown but live near by). I missed my privacy and my stuff. My boats and motorcycles. My own bathroom and shower. You'll see what I mean. After about a month I was growing weary of it. You miss what you have and really learn to appreciate it. Simple things like your own bathroom with hand towels and hand soap is a huge one. Those communal bathrooms were something I really couldn't learn to like. In reality, obviously I knew I wouldn't quit since I never quit and we had gone that far and were very determined. But know this, it is a real challenge to walk in a back pack every day for weeks away from your comfortable home, friends, and things. Just be ready for the mental part of it.

You may not have this issue. I have been traveling the world for over 20 years. Exotic scuba diving trips mostly. This trip is a real endeavor and was longer by weeks then anything previous.

The fitness thing will come. The mental part is hardest. Toward the last week, I was close to the end and all was go for the finish. I'm very glad I did it. But it was a pistol.

I grew very tired of the food there. Some meals were quite good but lacking in variety. You'll see what I mean. You best like meat and white bread. Oh...they don't do condiments. I've never had tuna on my salads before. The Pilgrim Menu ok at first but ....gaaaa after a month. We did have a couple meals at the albergue in Villars de Orbigo that were stellar!!!! The cook was from Belgium. She had butter! Imagine that!!! BUTTER for the bread!!! Monte Gia!

The beer was cold and awesome at the end of the day. Nothing like that ice cold beer after a hot day on the Camino. Amazing! I hope this helped. Just go do it!!!! Enjoy and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very nice post. I am a nurse and live and work in Eugene Oregon USA. I have planned, worked in my boots and carried my Kelty 40 daily.lol . I can't wait. Only now need paid time off and tickets. Glad to hear your honest prospective. This really helps. So glad to hear yall made it.
Lorrie

Zen spiritual crapola My pack was about 27 lbs The privates run 20-30 Euros a night
Ha ha, yeah it's a very good and informative guidebook, zen and spiritual stuff aside. I recommend it too.
27 pound pack? That sounds way too heavy. I would recommend that any prospective peregrinos try to bring their pack weight to about half that. It will make for a much more enjoyable Camino.
I never paid that much for a private albergue. Most ran in the neighborhood of 10-18 euros a night. The only time I spent over 20 euros a night was when I got a private room in a hotel/hostel/pension house.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
To be honest, I have seen many free apps with every piece of information Brierley publishes on his book, maybe even more updated, actually. I don't really care for the "cookie-cutter" approach to the Camino, so the set stages approach Brierley emphasizes is really not for me. Many pilgrims don't really get that the stages on the book are suggestions and I saw pilgrims getting almost on "panic-mode" as they realized the next stage was far away and they "had" to stay with Brierley stages; i.e. the stage Villafranca to O'Cebreiro.

Craig-- your post is practical, real-life, nothing "sugar-coated" about it! Great feedback!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Al- have to agree! according to Brierley you need to avoid Zubiri and stay in Larrasoana instead. Well, 99% of the posts on Larrasoana are scathing reviews with comments on pervasive rudeness to how unprepared the town really is for pilgrims. Zubiri, on the other hand, is a gem with a gorgeous medieval bridge, river, wonderful albergues, and welcoming population. One has to wonder.....

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Pilgrims, Future Pilgrims, My wife and I along with another couple completed our Camino on October 12th. We are from the Seattle area of Washington State in the U.S. We began our trek on September 5th. We walked 38 straight days for an average of 12.5 miles each day. We walked the complete distance. Obviously, due to where the towns shook out, some were shorter (least was 7.5 miles and farthest was 18 miles) and some longer but we tried to hold that 12.5 mile math average due to our time constraint. I'm retired but my wife is an RN and needed to be back to work so we had a schedule to keep. Not the best scenario but that's what it was. You need a guide book. It's a MUST! I used and I highly recommend this book.
A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago: St. Jean * Roncesvalles * Santiago by John Brierley This fellow Brierley writes a bunch of his own Zen spiritual crapola in it but you don't have to read that part of it. Good for a chuckle though. I'm just not much of a Zen kind of guy. The rest is must have information. He maps out a 34 day Camino...too aggressive for my liking so we pushed it to 38. He has great maps with the days elevations and lots of phone numbers for albergues, some historical information, and distances leg by leg. Invaluable. Get a copy. How we got there... We flew from Seattle to Chicago, then on to Paris. We took a bus from Charles de Gaulle to the big train station. A high speed train from Paris to Bayonne, and a bus from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port. Easy to figure out on the fly more or less. No reservations required except for the airlines obviously. Going home, we took a cab from our hotel in Santiago to the train station. A train from Santiago to LaCorruna, flew to Madrid and then Madrid to Chicago, back to Seattle. Arriving in St Jean Pied de Port , we racked out in a hostel that night after dinner and struck out for Santiago the next morning around 7am. I have some observations I hope will help you. My pack was about 27 lbs with 2 full 1000cc water bottles. Try as I might I just couldn't get it down below that. I used everything I had except my beanie. It never got cold enough to need it. If I wore a hat, it was my OR (Oregon Research) rain hat. My pack is an Osprey Kestrel 45. It was great! I used Merrell mid height waterproof boots. Well broken in before hand. I figure I had at least 200 miles on them. I spent many days in my boots and pack before the trip walking. mostly with my two weenie dogs. My wife walked with me some evenings and weekends. I used Wright brand double layer socks (4 pair). I still blistered. It started as a dime sized one at the root of my right great toe. I think around day 5 or so. I put the Compead on it. That stuff is great! You buy it in any of the very plentiful pharmacies in most any town. It comes 5 to the box and is a tough adhesive skin. Put it on, leave it on until it comes off by itself. It lasts about 3 days. Anyway, my blister continued to grow to about the size of a half dollar coin. I pretty much struggled with it for 4 weeks until it resolved. It sucked. My wife had one as well. I recommend 4 pr socks and do a change half way through the longer hot sweaty legs. At least initially until your feet toughen up to the punishment. Wet sweaty socks and damp boots I believe are what cause it. At breaks, get your boots off and massage your feet. Change to dry socks if really sweaty or even just damp. In the pharmacy they sell an aspirin based gel topical anti-inflammatory rub. I was skeptical at first, but it works! Use it early and often on muscle sore, tired legs ankles and feet. Especially after your walk ends for the day, at bed time and before booting up the next morning. You'll be glad you did. Fitness...I would say I was so so fit wise. I lost 15 pounds during the trip. I'm not really over weight but I could stand to have lost 10-20 to be fighting weight prior to setting out. I didn't so I lost it along the way. I am 58 years old and no health issues. My wife and I are evenly matched fitness wise. You will walk yourself fit on this trip. Understand though, the Camino first tears you down. Then it builds you back up. Keep at it, you will become stronger day by day. The first week to 10 days is an ass kicker. You are sore, possibly blistered, and plum wore out. Stick to it as its worth it. A startling transition. Between weeks 2 and 3 you will really notice how much stronger you are. By week 4 you will be amazed at your cardio fitness, blasting up huge hills with little effort that on day one would have laid you out. Day 1 over the mountains into Spain is no joke. If you are thinking of staying at Orrison, you need to make a reservation at least 3 months in advance. Its a small private albergue so they do take reservations. They will be full up for sure, so lacking a reservation you must be ready mentally to go all the way to Roncesvalles. Its a haul of about 16 miles over some good climbs and rocky descents. We had no reservation so we went all the way. Eat before you are hungry, drink before you are thirsty. Don't bonk out! Eat and drink constantly on this leg. There is a lunch stop at Orrison. Stop there and make yourself eat and drink. I got two of the fresh squeezed glasses of orange juice (big in Spain) and added a couple sugar packets to them. You have to replace your stored muscle energy (Glycogen). You still have a hell of a hike from Orrison to the huge Hostel at Roncesvalles. Its a real challenge but rewarding after completed. If walking with someone...this is very, very important! Especially at the beginning of the trip when you are most prone to over use injuries and before you become "Camino Tough". If you are not matched pace wise, don't try to keep up with your friend! You will walk yourself lame in 2-3 days. Ask me how I know. My friend Jim is about 6'3. I'm 5'9. He's got a good 8 inches of stride on me. By day 3, I had a severely sprained like overuse injury to my right ankle from trying to match his pace. I struggled with that ankle for the next 3 weeks. Not every day but several. Some days it was pure eye tearing agony! It hurt and that's a big deal. Pain every step averaging 38-40,000 steps each day by my Fitbit. Not good. Don't do it. Just make a place to meet up for the night and get there on your own terms- uninjured. Swallow your pride and don't get injured early on. Later, you'll be able to walk together after you get more fit (Camino Tough) and used to the routine. So many people I met along the way had this happen to them. My wife and I it turned out were very well matched speed wise. We just let them, our friends Jim and his wife Jan go and we hooked up at breaks and for the night. They were well matched speed wise. We were usually around 15-20 minutes behind or less. Quite often we could see them way up ahead in the distance. Since there were 4 of us, we decided early on to make private albergue reservations 2-3 days ahead. Nothing sucks worse than getting to your night stop and there is no room left. You are tired, sore, hungry and no bed. If a couple or by yourself...this might not be a big deal. But 4 beds was trouble at times. I heard several stories of people spending the night outside in a pasture under a tree. Trust me...it can thunder and rain like hell in Spain at night. Being out on a few nights I saw that happen would have not been fun. Municipals won't take a reservation. Privates will. Your albergue clerk will usually help you make your next few reservations if you ask. They have a professional association and will recommend good ones ahead as well as call for you in most cases. Having a clear destination reserved takes the worry out of the walk, knowing you'll have a bed when you get there tired and spent. If you like the thrill of spontaneity, go for it. I don't like to worry if I'll have a nice bed for the wife and I. The privates run 20-30 Euros a night but we were not on a budget. Also, they are a lot more upscale facility wise. Cleaner and better maintained. Some will even have a few private rooms which is nice every 4 or 5 nights. Ear plugs are a must. I like Doc's Pro Plugs. People fart, snore, cough, and move in and out at all hours. If lights bother you, take eye shades. It's just a fact of life on the Camino. You are in a room with lots of strangers. Some could care less about your quality of sleep. Use plugs. Get a phone. You'll need a phone that works there. Mine wouldn't so I purchased an Orange Phone. Just about any large town has phone stores. Orange is one dealer. You can get 10 hours at a time and recharge it in just about any larger town. You will use this phone to make your reservations, call a taxi or god forbid help if you are injured. Worth every cent. Taxi's he said??? Look, we walked the whole thing. But, you may want to use a Taxi at some point to see something in a large city such as Pamplona, Burgos, Logrono, Leon etc. For example, we stayed at Caesar Minor (SP?) just on the far West side of Pamplona. We saw some of the town on our way through but not everything. We arrived at our albergue around 2pm. We did laundry, took a rest and then wanted to go back into Pamplona to sightsee and eat dinner. We bussed into town. We took a Taxi back to the albergue. We used the phone to call the cab. Trust me... by the time you have walked 12-15 miles, walking backward to sightsee is not in my plan. You'll still get plenty of extra walking miles sightseeing. This is very important! Be sure your ATM card will work there!!!! Call your bank. This is important. A credit card is good to have but basically worthless on the trail as nobody will take it. Maybe some stores and a hotel if you stay in one. Cash is KING. You need to have a working ATM card to recharge your cash as needed. ATM's are frequent in larger cities. I couldn't get more than $300 Euro at a time even after I called my bank and raised the limit. If it won't give you 500 euros at a time, try 300. It should work. You may have to try a few different big name banks before you find one on your home bank's system. I had a few issues early on trying to get money. Be sure to let your bank know what you are up to or they will turn your card off...not a good feeling. Take some bug repellant. They don't seem to sell it there. The Gnats and Flies are really annoying in parts of the Camino. They seem to really like getting in your eyes and face. This is mostly on the central plains or "the flats" in the central part as I call them. Several days of long, strait flats and farm fields as far as the eye can see. We started walking at first light or just before. Its cool then and the bugs are not out yet. By 0915 or so, the sun is rising and the fliers are coming out. Get a sweat going...and you will sweat, here they come right in your face. Gnats and small to medium black flies. I would have sold my soul for a can of Deep Woods Off. The Spaniards don't seem to mind them. I hated them. They won't leave you alone. Carry a small microfiber towel on your pack strap to wipe your face, sun glasses, back of the neck. It can be punishingly warm to just flat hot. Drink early and often. Hydrate! Until Galacia where its cool and you leave the bugs behind. Be mentally ready for the routine of walking day in and day out for weeks. By the time I hit Leon, I was um....well pretty much ready to go home. Its a long time to be away from home. I missed my dogs and kids (who are grown but live near by). I missed my privacy and my stuff. My own bathroom and shower. You'll see. You miss what you have and really learn to appreciate it. Simple things like your bathroom is a huge one. In reality, obviously I knew I wouldn't quit since we had gone that far and were very determined. But know this, it is a real challenge to walk in a back pack every day for weeks away from your comfortable home, friends, and things. Just be ready for the mental part of it. The fitness thing will come. The mental part is hardest. Toward the last week, I was close to the end and all was go for the finish. I'm very glad I did it. But it was a pistol. I grew very tired of the food there. You'll see what I mean. You best like meat and white bread. Oh...they don't do condiments. The Pilgrim Menu....gaaaa. The beer was cold and awesome at the end of the day. Nothing like that ice cold beer after a hot day on the Camino. Amazing! I hope this helped. Enjoy and Buen Camino!
Craig, I'm pretty sure we walked with you guys a few times and even stayed in the same albergues a couple of times. Glad to hear from you. I was one of the 3 women from California. I agree with all you said. Sheila Niemi. Facebook

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
To be honest, I have seen many free apps with every piece of information Brierley publishes on his book, maybe even more updated, actually. I don't really care for the "cookie-cutter" approach to the Camino, so the set stages approach Brierley emphasizes is really not for me. Many pilgrims don't really get that the stages on the book are suggestions and I saw pilgrims getting almost on "panic-mode" as they realized the next stage was far away and they "had" to stay with Brierley stages; i.e. the stage Villafranca to O'Cebreiro.

Craig-- your post is practical, real-life, nothing "sugar-coated" about it! Great feedback!

Olivares,

I'm interested in those apps, free or otherwise, that you mentioned in your post. Could provide a rference for those apps.

Thanks in advance

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Could provide a rference for those apps.
Go to Google link: https://play.google.com/store/apps and type "camino de Santiago" on the search field. Hundreds of Camino apps, many free, others at maybe $5. It includes reviews. I never paid for any; the free apps were fine for me. I also downloaded for $12 "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook" [David M. Gitlitz, Linda Kay Davidson] on Amazon.com and carried it all on my tablet (which also served as camera, GPS, video, journal, skype , music storage, etc.... The tablet weights 1.2 pounds.

And I don't think Brierley is much of a "Zen guy" either. I think your comment reflects a misunderstanding or ignorance of Zen and Mahayana Buddhism generally. In my reading of Brierley, his spiritual ruminations seem more Christian influenced, but I could be wrong.

I find we in the West tend to make a lot of loose links between concepts of "spiritual" and Eastern religions, and Zen seems to be an easy meme-like tag to latch onto.

While, as a secular pilgrim, I did find Brierley's spiritual filler less useful or interesting, even I have the courtesy and decency to not dismiss it as "crapola." The guide got me from the Pyrenees to Santiago, and for that I thank Brierley for dedicating his time and passion to writing it.

PS: OP, please, for the love of Zen, learn how to use paragraph breaks! ;)
Ha ha. I think the original poster probably did not mean Zen in the literal sense. It was a joke. Zen was probably just used as a generalization.
Other members of this forum sure come quick to the defense of old man Brierley. If I didn't know any better, I'd think he must have them on his payroll (by the way, that was a joke...I don't really believe any of them are on his payroll :cool:).
Life too short not to lighten up about things....;)

I had to put the text into my text processor and break it into paragraphs: It was impossible to read it without getting a headache. Seriously.

The OP also gives bad advice regaring blisters and Compeed: Compeed will preserve and develop your blister, which he also testifies to, indirectly. Better to use iodine and ordinary bandage in order to dry out your blister. Personal experiences from several Caminos.

Last edited:
Craig, I'm pretty sure we walked with you guys a few times and even stayed in the same albergues a couple of times. Glad to hear from you. I was one of the 3 women from California. I agree with all you said. Sheila
Hi Sheila, Funny. I actually was looking at photos and you are in one in the background. It was a real pleasure to walk with you and your friends. Glad to hear from you!

Craig, your post points out how one mans ceiling is another mans floor. ;) I enjoyed the pilgrims meals, the sharing of space and being away from home and all that was comfortable to me. But I definitely agree on the credit card advice as well as the idea that you get stronger as you go.

I found compeed to be great once the blister had stopped filling with fluid. I used regular bandages and threading while the blister was still "active", but afterward, I found that compeed worked really well to cushion the skin while the blister healed up.

I had a Sony SLR digital 24 MP camera, case, and charger. I took almost 2000 Hi-RES digital photos and man did they turn out!
Yeah, I would definitely recommend bringing a camera when walking the Camino, even if its just the camera on a cell phone, especially if it's your first Camino. No shortage of things to photograph and really cool looking at them later on.
Not hard to take photos without distracting yourself from the experience itself.

I apologize to Wanderer64 and Alexwalker for any headaches my poor writing skills may have caused.
Writing skills are good; editing skills not. ;) Simply an ordinary web rule: It is very hard to read long texts on a screen. It makes people go away/stop reading (quoted from several Internet marketing courses). Take it from a computer engineer and web designer.

As for using Compeed: I was told by a doctor at a Spanish hospital that it was not smart to use it for healing blisters. Personal experience. Protect, yes. Healing, no. As you stated yourself: You had it for +4 weeks using Compeed.

See my paragraphs? ;)

Peace.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Like I say, I'm not an english teacher or a computer web designer. Just an old retired fireman. I was a Paramedic for 30 years though. I didn't have a lot of experience with blisters. Lots of cardiac arrests, gunshot wounds, trauma of all kinds and tons of really sick people. I tried the thread drainage and drying you state but all my blister did was extend. At one point I had at least 3 layers involved and threads hanging out all over the place. Thats when I went to the pharmacy and was recommended Compeed by the Pharmacist. I had no further extension but the down side is the thing took forever to run its course. A good 3 weeks. Bottom line is dry sock changes at the onset of any hot spots. I saw a lot of blisters on this trip that made mine look like nothing.

Last edited:
Like I say, I'm not an english teacher or a computer web designer. Just an old retired fireman. I didn't have a lot of experience with blisters. I had no further extension but the down side is the thing took forever to run its course. A good 3 weeks.
I am older than you. Retired software and user interface designer.:) Don't give blister advice to pilgrims, it seems...;)

Edit:
I saw a lot of blisters on this trip that made mine look like nothing.
Me too. Do NOT use Compeed as a cure, only as protection, if you feel a hotspot emerging. And to my surprise, this almost always happened to younger people. Maybe they were too sure/confident of themselves?

Last edited:
I am older than you. Retired software and user interface designer.:) Don't give blister advice to pilgrims, it seems...;)

Edit:

Me too. Do NOT use Compeed as a cure, only as protection, if you feel a hotspot emerging. And to my surprise, this almost always happened to younger people. Maybe they were too sure/confident of themselves?
Yes, well blister care is a tricky deal with I'm sure many variables. Bad boots, bad fit, wrong socks, wet feet, odd gait, who knows. I do know if it gets beyond the hot spot stage, it can be hell to get it stopped. On the other hand, it was not too agonizing to walk on it using Compeed. After 5 or so minutes, it was numb and off I went. It was painful on golfball sized rocks or the occasional sharp rock when stepped on just right. I was totally surprised when I blistered. I had done lots of back to back 12 milers here at home in my loaded pack and never even a hot spot. Yet, a few days into the Camino and bam. Just that one though. I saw several people that had both feet blistered in several places. I met a chef from France, John Paul who lost the hide off both of his heels. I think he did most of the Camino on a bus. He was a rather rotund man and was pretty slow going. Yet, I was on a tour bus in Finisterre the day after we walked into Santiago and I'll be damned if he wasn't standing on the sidewalk. Now we walked every day for 38 days to get to Santiago. I know he wasn't ahead of us on the trail and we hadn't seen him since around Belorado. Yet there he was. I'm glad he got to see it how ever he got there. He had a big grin on his face. Those were the worst blisters I had a chance to look at.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Edit:

For the blisters. Even if you have boots well broken in, they may change the shape after getting really wet, and start to rub somewhere. My recipe to avoid blisters was to put IMMEDIATELY on these hot/red spots some tape, kind of leucopore. Just one layer, and remove it at the end of the day. Then soften the skin with bepanthen salva, which also counteracts irritation. Did not have any real blister this way, walking nearly 40km daily.

More on blisters: I have not suffered much from this hazard on the Camino. Maybe it's because I walk in May, having just gone through the Australian summer mostly barefoot, so my feet have become fairly tough. I remember in my youth in England (Pennine Way, etc), being told to toughen up my feet first by rubbing in meths.

I also noticed more young people with blisters. Maybe it's because they feel the need to keep up with friends they have made on the Camino. The moral is: walk at your own pace!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for a great post.

You'll find this statement:
You need a guide book. It's a MUST! .!

Will bring some controversy.. Many posters here have survived many different trails without one and find that guidebooks are a bit like reading the synopsis before watching a movie. Others see Brierley as a bible.

As I said, welcome to the forum!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Dr is IN: Gosh, I now have blisters on my ears, eyes and cheeks.
Keeping in mind that the Forum is "Where past pilgrims share, and future pilgrims learn" I've given some thought to who exactly are these "Past pilgrims"?

Well, that may appear fairly straight forward: they are everyday folks that have completed any Camino, for what ever reason, over a collection of days with or without blisters.

They started from home, whether that be a traditional lodging (house, apartment), on not: boat, highway underpass, etc. Hopefully returning to some location of their choosing...happy, healthy and wise.

Therein is a telling statement.

Happy: purely subjective. What ever is your reason to be happy: Compostela, Distance Certificate, away from dorm living, fond memories, finally dry, reunited with your parrot, etc.

Healthy: Can be totally objective. Either the blisters are healed. The weight is under control. You gave up smoking, reduced your drinking ;) or not:p it's your health as it is.

Mental health can be totally subjective, depending on who is the subject.

And WISE: Many past pilgrims are wise in the Way of the Camino. They have been there, done that and have the scallop shell(s) to prove it. That said, their wiseness is again...subjective. Why, because it's predicated on their world view: everything is beautiful, everything is NOT beautiful (and doggonit...I will keep searching until I can prove it), Murphy's Law #2 "If everything is going right...you've missed something." Or, professional credentials: liberal arts, physical sciences, mechanical and computer sciences, medical, martial, hands on savvy, etc.

And, therein lays the truth. Each past pilgrim with one, or twenty-one Caminos under their waist belt and personal knowledge pedigree discovers a lot of practical, or not so practical information about the activities/proclivities of fellow pilgrims and more so about themselves. Long held beliefs of any stripe: educational, professional, inclusion/exclusion lifestyle, religious or secular beliefs will be tested on the Camino.
If the past pilgrim is willing to open themselves to the realization that their experience, however close to that of another pilgrim(s) retains a large measure of personal subjectivity they will surely be wise.

For the future pilgrim: The excitement of your first Camino began when someone, or something peaked your interest and began the process. Research the many available documents written about the WAY, read the sage advice from past pilgrims, consult with those you trust (family, friends, medical professionals) and be prepared for...whatever the Camino experience is for you. Because in the final analysis it is your Camino.

Maybe it's because they feel the need to keep up with friends they have made on the Camino. The moral is: walk at your own pace![/QUOTE]

Exactly! Like I said I'm my O.P.
If walking with someone...this is very, very important! Especially at the beginning of the trip when you are most prone to over use injuries and before you become "Camino Tough".

WARNING!!! If you are not matched pace wise, don't try to keep up with your friend! You will walk yourself lame in 2-3 days. Ask me how I know. My friend Jim is about 6'3. I'm 5'9. He's got a good 8 inches of stride on me. By day 3, I had a severely sprained like overuse injury to my right ankle from trying to match his pace. I struggled with that ankle for the next 3 weeks. Not every day but several. Some days it was pure eye tearing agony! It hurt and that's a big deal. Pain every step averaging 38-40,000 steps each day by my Fitbit. Not good. Don't do it. Just make a place to meet up for the night and get there on your own terms- uninjured. Swallow your pride and don't get injured early on. Later, you'll be able to walk together after you get more fit (Camino Tough) and used to the routine. So many people I met along the way had this happen to them.

And this could have very well been my downfall. I haven't thought of it until you said it. Thats why I blistered I bet. I was trying out of pride to keep up with another taller friend who was way faster. He walked his pace and I was hauling butt trying to match it. Not good. I can't stress this enough. Plus...I caused an overuse sprain to my right ankle in the process that was pure hell at times for the next 3 weeks!

A blister and a sprain just from trying to keep up with a friend and in the first 4-5 days. I still had 33 to 34 days to go and I was hurt. I made it but if you can avoid my stupid mistake and stay healthy, all the better.

I know we all want to play the role of the suffering pilgrim, but it sounds better than it really is. Great points everyone!

Last edited:
Go to Google link: https://play.google.com/store/apps and type "camino de Santiago" on the search field. Hundreds of Camino apps, many free, others at maybe $5. It includes reviews. I never paid for any; the free apps were fine for me. I also downloaded for $12 "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook" [David M. Gitlitz, Linda Kay Davidson] on Amazon.com and carried it all on my tablet (which also served as camera, GPS, video, journal, skype , music storage, etc.... The tablet weights 1.2 pounds.
I too loved this book lots of local history very helpful

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For the future pilgrim: The excitement of your first Camino began when someone, or something peaked your interest and began the process. Research the many available documents written about the WAY, read the sage advice from past pilgrims, consult with those you trust (family, friends, medical professionals) and be prepared for...whatever the Camino experience is for you. Because in the final analysis it is your Camino.[/QUOTE]

Thats right Arn. Spot on. What we are offering up here is food for thought. My post was intended for the new folks. Not the old sages of "several Caminos". I know before I went, I read everything I could more or less. I attended a great seminar at REI in Seattle, I watched both movies. I also consulted everyone I knew who had gone before me. I packed, weighed it, unpacked it, and did it over and over until I was pretty sure I could live with it. Most say it was too heavy. I still made it the whole way. I walked and walked. I think what this prior research does is help the new Pilgrim, gain confidence, avoid potential problems, injuries and mistakes that can really detract or in worst case ruin their trip.

I met a lady from Colorado Springs at Roncesvalles the first night. Very sweet lady, excited for this "once in a lifetime experience". Later down The Way I met her again several times as we do. By around Santo Domingo she had shin splinted herself right out of the rest of her trip. She said she hurt so bad that she was calling it off. She was a young 40-ish slim fit looking lady and was only about 1/3 of the way there.

In the end I learned some things- the practical aspects that I feel people may benefit from. Things I didn't see coming that could have been severe but was able to manage on the fly. Everyone will have that happen. I was with 4 other people. That alone adds a dynamic the purist will avoid by going solo. Solo is I bet, way, way easier. In that case I would even say going sans guidebook is not a huge deal. For me, I had 4 other soles I had to get along with, so I couldn't afford that level of spontaneity in the interest of group peace and harmony.

New Pilgrims, you will do fine. Just go and do it. But a bit of research ahead will in fact help you avoid things like a failed ATM card...as in no cash, or an early nagging painful injury. Everyone needs to consider how to tailor their experience to gain what they are looking for out of it.

My main thing initially was to do it with my wife who I will add was pure pleasure to do it with. Lovely. As for the rest of the group, they were great but like I say it adds a dynamic. Three more minds and opinions. Initially, I was just going with Diane but in talking about it socially, a very wonderful couple indicated interest...what do you say? Sure! That was just fine. Than a friend of theirs wanted to go. Sure! Pretty soon you are a group of 5. Like I say it was fine. All were capable. All made it. We all had fun and it was a wonderful experience. No doubt. But like I say, everyone needs to tailor the trip to their expectations, so think about what you are after. Personally I was fine as a group as all members had a lot of positives to add to our experience. You may not be good with a group so you may have to be ready to politely decline accompaniment.

Yes the new Pilgrim has a lot to mull over ahead of time, but for Pete's sake...don't let it stop you from going. I'm going back to do some time as a volunteer in a hostel. Just pack up and go for it. But do a bit of homework. Its a pretty big commitment once you strike out. Enjoy!

I was re-reading this thread and I had a couple more thoughts...

By the way...all my post here are just my opinions. I know folks here are very passionate on this topic...The Camino...and everyone has their own things they are trying to get from this experience. My things may differ from yours. These opinions are based on my Camino done with 4 other people from September 5th through our arrival in Santiago on October 12th 2014. "your milage may differ". Don't beat me up. Please.

Injuries...this is meant to inform you not to dissuade or scare you. Please see it as nothing more than that. We all know from the above that overuse leg injuries, blisters and such can happen. Both happened to me and I still made the walk in 38 days.

But I observed a few other hazards that we had to learn to avoid. Somewhere around Fromista, I returned to the Albergue in the late afternoon. The Emergency Medical Responders were in the bunk room seeing a patient. After they transported her, a lady in her late 50's from the U.K. who was traveling with her husband, I found out what had happened. She had slipped coming out of the shower and landed hard on her ribs across the six inch raised threshold of the shower stall. Her complaints were, severe pain in her back and chest pain on each breath. She was in quite a bit of agony as the crew moved her.

Spain is really big on masonry and slick fiberglass shower stalls. I don't know how many times that I was amazed at just how really slippery the dang shower and the floor around it was, especially when wet and with soap residue! One moment of inattention, one little mis-step and down you go. I never fell, but several people did. I reminded my group to be careful every minute when getting in or out of a shower. The Spanish seem to like slick finished or glazed clay tiles and they are deadly when wet as they most often were. They have a mop handy most times but the floors are constantly wet anyway. Really go slow and watch your footing in the bathrooms.

About 4 hours later, she was back. X-rays had shown 4 fractured ribs. She had also strained her back muscles. This couple were walking for charity dollars. Their trip was over. Just that quick. Done.

On the same lines...there are some descents in the trek. Steep descents. Really loose and rocky descents. On steep descents over softball sized loose rocks for hundreds of yards you are one slip away from at least a sprain and possible a fracture. You may be very tired from getting up there in the first place. Descending through the woods to Roncesvalles on day one...very tired and fatigued. Descending down from the wind turbine ridge where the big metal sculptures are- both come to mind. I didn't envy the cyclists having to negotiate these descents. It was bad enough trying to walk down them. Large loose stones, long and steep. Steep areas where water had run off and taken all the fine material to the bottom. They look like dry creek beds. I would remind my wife who was usually a few feet behind me. "Really loose Sweetie, watch your every step. Don't slip. Be careful".

Use your stick or sticks if you have them. I had one of those wood walking sticks I purchased in SJPDP. I really like having a stick. I've never had trekking poles, but just as good. Maybe better...personal preference. Something to give three points of contact at all times. You are wearing a pack and going over steep mountainous rocky loose terrain. You will be tired.

As a retired City Fire Department Paramedic, I had 36 years of looking at how people made mistakes and hurt or sadly in some cases, accidentally killed themselves. Call me a safety minded kind of guy. I can't help it. I'm conditioned. I couldn't help but wonder what we would have done if one of us took a tumble and fractured an ankle or worse while in some of the places where this kind of descent is required. There are many such places on the way. Some are to say the least...remote, and very long in time and distance from help by emergency responders.

A basic first aid class is a really good idea if you have never had one. Call your local Fire Department on their business phone to find out where the next, usually free class will be. You may come across an injured person in a remote area hours from help. Wouldn't even a little knowledge of first aid be a good thing? The more the better.

This is IMPORTANT: Most injuries happen descending. Ascending while hard is safer because you are opposing gravity and human nature is to test the solidity of the next step before loading your full body weight. Descending you are going with gravity and this is where most folks get injured when the footing shifts as your weight builds upon it. Its not so common to fall uphill, but falling downhill is really common. Be very careful descending! Descending is not the time to be moving fast to make those miles. There are lots of safe flat runs to do that in.

I believe having a local or working cell phone in this case could be called essential and basic safety equipment. Your phone may be able to be activated in Spain. I don't know. I just got a simple local Orange phone charged up with 10 hours service. Done. If you can get service following an accident. In many places in the mountains there won't be any. I didn't have the phone turned on when not in use to save the battery, so I don't know how good the coverage in really remote locations along "The Way" actually is. All the more reason to go slow and carefully when indicated by present hazards. I had an Orange brand cheep flip phone. I got it in Pamplona. In retrospect, I should have got it before leaving SJPDP. There are lots of phone stores in the larger cities. Its best to be careful and not fall. All I'm saying is be on guard. You'll know when you are there. Go slow and easy. You'll be fine just as we were.

Craig, some great postings!
My first posting on here about your remark about "Zen crapola" was mere jesting (British humour), in fact I tend to agree with you about Brierley's "whimsy"!

Although a Camino "virgin" (I hope that is not non-PC) I'd like to make a couple of comments on travelling solo as against in a group.

Some years ago I spent over 2 months sailing on a 53' ketch from England to the West Indies. There were, initially, five of us on board. For various reasons we had to "port-hop" for some weeks to Gibraltar by which time we had had a serious falling out with the fifth member of the crew and had the unpleasant task of sending him home. A little later we were joined by three others. All was well to start with but soon a divide opened between the original four and the new crew members and "unpleasantness" (cabin fever) increased between the two groups. Now on a 53' ketch, unlike on a Camino, you can't speed up or slow down your walk to avoid the others nor can you, mid-Atlantic, exactly "step off"! Result? The next three and a half weeks were spent in mutual antagonism and dislike. Ruined what should have been a pleasant experience.

Next observation. You may have read elsewhere on this forum that I have recently been unwell. Part of my sojourn in hospital was spent on my own (in isolation in an intensive care ward) for two + weeks. I had no TV/radio, no mobile phone connection so no internet. Most of the nurses were foreign, over-worked and had little time for conversation. In any case their English was limited. There was no view worth looking at from my window. I was completely on my own and thrown back into my own mind. At the time and again now I think in some way it mirrored the experience as described by others of the meseta and the introspection it engenders. I spent longs hours "stripping" myself down. It was both salutary and daunting. Staring long and hard at a reality mirror with unflattering lighting. Again, like on the yacht, 24/7, there was no escape. In some sort of way I like to think it part-prepared me for the meseta section of my future Camino.

In conclusion, and apologies for having "wittered" on, despite my isolation ward experience I would much rather travel solo than in any kind on group. Yes, meet up with others, chat, share a drink, a meal and enjoy the camaraderie. Make friends/relationships. Some will last, most not. Passing ships in the night..............

And I don't think Brierley is much of a "Zen guy" either. I think your comment reflects a misunderstanding or ignorance of Zen and Mahayana Buddhism generally. In my reading of Brierley, his spiritual ruminations seem more Christian influenced, but I could be wrong.

I find we in the West tend to make a lot of loose links between concepts of "spiritual" and Eastern religions, and Zen seems to be an easy meme-like tag to latch onto.

While, as a secular pilgrim, I did find Brierley's spiritual filler less useful or interesting, even I have the courtesy and decency to not dismiss it as "crapola." The guide got me from the Pyrenees to Santiago, and for that I thank Brierley for dedicating his time and passion to writing it.

This very informative post was perfectly formatted in paragraphs on my iPad. Thank you Craig for sharing your personal opinions and experiences.

..retracted..

Dear Craig,

I notice you have retracted parts of your OP and reformatted the text with paragraph breaks! Thank you, good sir.

Fair is fair, I hearby retract my original criticism of your post.

I agree with others that you've offered up some very good, useful information. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and wisdom, and thanks for doing what most people never consider doing: editing your OP.

Dear Craig,

I notice you have retracted parts of your OP and reformatted the text with paragraph breaks! Thank you, good sir.

Fair is fair, I hearby retract my original criticism of your post.

I agree with others that you've offered up some very good, useful information. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and wisdom, and thanks for doing what most people never consider doing: editing your OP.

I'm not proud Wanderer64...obviously not too sensitive a critic either. I could use more sensitivity. I meant no harm. I am only interested in giving the "new pilgrims" the benefit of some of my experience from just having done the deal. I'm glad to take critical advice and act on it. If that lets us meet the original goal, I'm in. Thanks for the critical and the kind words.

To Bystander: Great reply. Above, Bystander speaks to going as a group. Bystander relates the story of a sailing trip that had some bad group dynamics pop out. Also relates the solitary thought analysis process one may experience in the setting absent of outside distractions, relates such environments like a quiet hospital room or the "meseta" (I had to look that one up :0) It is Spanish for mesa or plains). Thrust into solitude, the stripping away layers a person may do in analyzing their complete self.

For me, the original group concept was OK. The couple we went with (and never had a harsh thought or word with), I am very close to. Where I experienced the negative dynamic (if you can call it that) was the lady friend of theirs who was a late comer and whom I had never met. I had a few warning flags pop out due to some emails from her prior to meeting her. I took her as a bit hyper-controlling from those. I held my judgement. If there was any stress in our group, mine came from her. I didn't have the friend connection with her, so I was probably not as willing to look the other way as I might with a close friend. I almost lost my temper with her on a few occasions. I thank God, now for not doing so. Bite the tongue...bite the tongue. Nothing good could have come from it and I would not have wanted to sour my relationship with the other couple I consider among my closest of friends. Funny as I could see Jim getting close to giving it to her on a few occasions. He didn't...but I can read his face like a book. I found myself smiling at it. They are both pretty head strong, so I wasn't alone. But as Bystander relates, there is room on the Camino to get away and for the most part I walked only with my wife. Often for hours at a time we didn't talk a lot and often were separated by several feet. There was plenty of solitude no doubt. Even in this group of 5. So you can have distance unlike a sail boat on the sea. I have to say, if...I were to go on another Camino and the "primitive" route is interesting to me. Its on my mind. I would go it alone just to see what that solitary Camino is like. It is as different as Night is to Day I have no doubt. I'm tempted. As I said above, my Camino France was wonderful...but how would that solo trip be???

As for the tearing or stripping of layers during long solitude as a process of self critique. I....guess I am pretty comfortable with myself. I have some flaws I'm sure. I know I do. But I am who I am so I didn't find myself doing a lot of self analysis. I try to be a nice guy. I had a wonderful family and childhood. I lost my Dad at 13, but my Mom was a wonderful Mom and she took the horse by the lead and we, she and I carried on together. I have an older brother and sister I totally get along with. I went strait into my fire service career after I graduated school and the Fire Academy. I had a wonderful fulfilling 36 year career. I've been financially secure my whole life. I married the love of my life 37 years (almost) ago. We have a beautiful daughter who married the son I never had. He is now a firefighter at the same department I retired from. I love them both very much. I have several hobbies that keep me off the street. I have led a trouble free charmed life that is better than I deserve. I retired two years ago and I have no stress or worries. I can't think of a thing I would do differently. Truly I can't. I found a lot of my solitary time on the trail was in prayer thanking God for what he has blessed me with in my short tenure here on the blue planet. And in prayer that my dang right ankle would stop hurting. It finally did.

Ibuprofen, elevation, icing and aspirin rub...after walking is key. Every bar will give you an ice bag. Just ask the bar tender. Anyway, I can't say I had any real epiphany about myself or my inner self, but I can see where this sort of thing may do that for others. I mainly just thought about the scenery, my pain- :0) and I really don't know what all. Lots of scattered stuff. I feel I returned just as I left more or less but as we say..."your milage may vary". For me it was the personal challenge of walking that far. Its a long, long walk! I almost can't believe it can be done. Amazing.

Great comments all. Thanks for weighing in. Craig

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Craig - Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and all you learned and also for your considered responses to all the replies to your posts. I've enjoyed reading your original post and other's responses in this thread. You've also provided some good practical info for future pilgrims. Great to read that you have thoughts of your next camino! :)

I remember in my youth in England (Pennine Way, etc), being told to toughen up my feet first by rubbing in meths.

Many decades ago in a previous life, where I was required to hike long distances, we also used to toughen up our feet with meths. The trend these days seems to be to try to keep the feet soft..... I wonder which is best?

Hi Craig, nice one! Thanks for sharing the experience. I'm intending to do the CF next Sep - Oct. Like to know if it is cold enough during this period that you needed to use a sleep bag? I understand different people have varying cold/hot tolerance. Thanks

The siesta culture of Spain. This was something I wasn't expecting. Prior to this trip, I had never been to Spain, didn't know much about it really except the basic stuff. I wasn't prepared for Siesta. So why should we care? Well, it will affect you to some degree. Now I guess the best strategy is to drop your Western go go go habits at the door and go with it. And truly this is what you should do because it is what it is. Just because you showed up, it isn't going to change. In Spain, the shops and such open in the morning as usual. You are out on the trail so you may hit a stop on your way West early for a bottle of Gatorade or the local variety of same.

I ditched one of my fancy Nalgene water bottles from REI, in favor of a bottle of Gatorade. Sometimes two bottles of Gatorade plus my full water bottle on say 17 mile days. Water is plentiful along the way but you never know. So, off you go, early with headlight shining or...just after it is light enough to do so...and before most shops open. We're walking...we're walking...and eventually you hit your night stop. At roughly 2pm...they roll up the sidewalks in Spain and close up shop. Everything thankfully except the Bars. Now most everything lunch food/drink wise is a "Bar" in Spain. A coffee shop is a bar. A lunch joint is a bar. Restaurants and shops close at 2pm and won't open until 6pm and in many cases a restaurant dinner is served at 7-8 pm! At the earliest.

So here you come around 2:30pm strolling down the Camino. Here is your Albergue. You check in, ready your bunk, and get your dirty clothes in the washer. You strike out to hit the pharmacy, the hardware for a battery...buy a trinket...CLOSED. Huh??? Ya. Thats siesta time. No big deal. You'll adjust. Maybe stop and get that stuff in an earlier town you pass if there is what you are looking for. Get used to eating dinner late. You can get a bocadilla or a tapas in the bar to eat. I had great tapas and there is a lot of really bad tapas. As for a sit down dinner...usually around 7pm at the earliest. Its an interesting way to do business and would never fly in the U.S. Thats siesta!

Hi Craig, nice one! Thanks for sharing the experience. I'm intending to do the CF next Sep - Oct. Like to know if it is cold enough during this period that you needed to use a sleep bag? I understand different people have varying cold/hot tolerance. Thanks

This is a really good question since the sleeping bag can be one of the heaviest things in your pack. Bulky too. I took both a sleeping bag (Asolo Marco) and a silky sleep sac. In the first 2/3 of the trip I just used the silky. As we got to the mountains on the far side it began to grow much cooler at night and was a month later in the fall. However the private albergues we were staying at all had an ample supply of nice big pillows and heavy blankets. It just depends how averse you are to using them since they are communal and I have no idea how often they see the washing machine. I used them. They always issue you a pillowcase and a sheet which in some cases is disposable paper linen. I used the sheet under my own treated sheet.

I went to Walmart before I left and purchased the cheapest lightest twin bed sheet I could find, 200 thread count. I went online and bought A promethrin "Military soak treatment kit" which cost around $7.00 U.S. I treated the sheet and hung it to dry. It is supposed to last 6 weeks which is perfect. I always put my sheet down on the mattress. In theory, a bed bug wouldn't survive if it contacted the sheet. Prometherin is totally inert to humans after it dries. I also got a spray bottle of it and treated my pack inside and out. It has no odor or residue at all after it is dry. It was really nice to have "my" sheet down as a barrier.

I met some people who did not bring a sleeping bag. Its totally up to you. I could have done fine without it but that is a hindsight observation. There are a few what ifs on this subject. What if you get caught outside overnight? Rare but I know some folks had it happen to them, I heard their stories. What if you get to an albergue in cool or cold Galacia and they have no blankets? What if the weather is unseasonably cold in the early part of your trip? If you are just in a silky and it is coldish...you will be cold without a blanket. Some of the albergues didn't have a working heating system. Or just had it switched off. One in particular in Galacia some 4 days before Santiago, I remember as being damn cold and no heat of any kind was running. I don't know if I would be willing to leave my sleeping bag at home. Probably not, but people did make the trip without one. Overwhelmingly, most folks had a sleeping bag. On the Camino, your niche is your bunk. Its nice to have your own sleep items in there. Its totally up to you and how you feel about communal bedding and the risk of catching a virus off of it. I got a cold about 5 days before the end of the trip. I'll never know where I picked up the virus...could have been any door knob, or what ever. It could have been from a pillow or blanket I used. I had one of those blow up pillows from REI. It was OK but not ideal. So I began using the pillows and the pillow cases they hand out. At first I stayed away from the communal bedding entirely. Later toward the end I became more comfortable with it- but as I said, I got sick too. I never saw a bed bug, but we had to do a longer leg one day as the only albergue in our planned night stop was closed for fumigation.

Sawyer Permethrin Clothing Treatment -

Soak Kit

Each kit contains (1) 6 ounce bottle of .5% of Sawyer Permethrin Solution, (1) pair of gloves, (1) soak bag, (1) tie cord and instructions.

For use on clothing, tents and other gear, Sawyer permethrin products not only repel insects, they actually kill ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers, mites and more. The active ingredient, permethrin, is a synthetic molecule similar to pyrethrum which is taken from the Chrysanthemum flower. When applied to clothing, permethrin bonds to the fabric eliminating the risk of over-exposure to the skin. Permethrin is odorless when dry, and will not stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or any of your outdoor gear. Each kit is designed to treat one complete outfit, pants, shirt, socks. A single application lasts 6 weeks or 6 washings. Always follow the directions for use on the package label.

It is my understanding a lady has gone missing on the Camino. I sure hope she is just on silent walk about and not fallen on hard luck. I know that in almost no case, harm comes to a pilgrim while doing this trek. I have heard of a couple robberies but rare indeed. That is if you can believe the reporting.

As I said earlier in this thread...these are my opinions and only gained as a result of having walked the whole Camino France from SJPP to Santiago. Your experiences and observations may differ from mine. Further, I spent 36 years as a Firefighter/Paramedic for a large metropolitan city fire department, as well, 10 of those years as a Reserve Deputy Sheriff that functioned as a Tactical SWAT Team Paramedic for our county sheriff department's Special Weapons and Tactics unit. To do this SWAT thing, I was sent off to the police academy for a few months in order to be trained as a police officer, which is required in order to become a commissioned police officer (as I was required to be in this role by law). Even though I was the "medic", I stilled carried a full complement of firearms and I had powers of arrest. I made several arrests. Our team, trained all members of the "entry team" to be able to fulfill all positions of every member of the team. So who cares right?

Well it gets to my years of seeing the worst members of humanity from a very close up prospective. An... in you're face prospective. In several cases, sadly a blood on your hands prospective.

I was asking myself, if I would want my wife to walk the Camino by herself. My training and career in public safety experience tells me...hell no.

I remember a part of the Camino when we had circled the Burgos Airport and had to cross an old quasi/industrial and what appeared to be a skid-road or impoverished area for a few miles. I was concerned because, there was several shady looking types hanging about and I had no way to call for help except for our Orange phone...I don't speak Spanish and I don't even know if 911 works over there. I just never thought of it until I was walking into Burgos. Now, don't get me wrong, Burgos is wonderful! Best Cathedral on the walk. Be sure to save time for a walk through. But I was moderately concerned for our safety in some early parts of it. Nothing happened, but still this is another time I was happy to be in a group of 5. We always made sure we were all together when entering a major town.

So...sorry ladies...no, I really don't suggest you do this solo. I have no doubt, that many will feel different. They may even beat me up in reply. I guess you pick your poison and step up. Noway... I would want my wife all alone out there. I'd be terrified. I'm sure glad she was with me!!!!

I sure hope they find this lady safe and sound and that her family can be at peace soon.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Pilgrims, Future Pilgrims, My wife and I along with another couple completed our Camino on October 12th. We are from the Seattle area of Washington State in the U.S. We began our trek on September 5th. We walked 38 straight days for an average of 12.5 miles each day. We walked the complete distance. Obviously, due to where the towns shook out, some were shorter (least was 7.5 miles and farthest was 18 miles) and some longer but we tried to hold that 12.5 mile math average due to our time constraint. I'm retired but my wife is an RN and needed to be back to work so we had a schedule to keep. Not the best scenario but that's what it was.

A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago: St. Jean * Roncesvalles * Santiago by John Brierley

This fellow Brierley writes a collection of his own brand of spiritual impressions in it but you don't have to read that part of it. I read some of it but it was not interesting to me. I'm just not much of a feelings kind of guy. The rest is must have information. He maps out a 34 day Camino...too aggressive for my liking so we pushed it to 38. He has great maps with the days elevations and lots of phone numbers for albergues, some historical information, and distances leg by leg. Invaluable. Get a copy.

How we traveled there...

We flew from Seattle to Chicago, then on to Paris. We took a bus from Charles de Gaulle to the big train station. A high speed train from Paris to Bayonne, and a bus from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port. Easy to figure out on the fly more or less. No reservations required except for the airlines obviously. Going home, we took a cab from our hotel in Santiago to the train station. A train from Santiago to LaCorruna, flew to Madrid and then Madrid to Chicago, back to Seattle.

Arriving in St Jean Pied de Port , we racked out in a hostel that night after dinner and struck out for Santiago the next morning around 7am. I have some observations I hope will help you. My pack was about 27 lbs with 2 full 1000cc water bottles. Try as I might I just couldn't get it down below that. I used everything I had except my wool beanie. It never got cold enough to need it. If I wore a hat, it was my OR (Oregon Research) rain hat.

My pack is an Osprey Kestrel 45. It was great! I used Merrell mid height waterproof boots. Well broken in before hand. I figure I had at least 200 miles on them. I spent many days in my boots and pack before the trip walking. mostly with my two weenie dogs. My wife walked with me some evenings and weekends.

I used Wright brand double layer socks (4 pair). I still blistered. It started as a dime sized one at the root of my right great toe. I think around day 5 or so. I put the Compead on it. That stuff is great! You buy it in any of the very plentiful pharmacies in most any town. It comes 5 to the box and is a tough adhesive skin. Put it on, leave it on until it comes off by itself. It lasts about 3 days.

Anyway, my blister continued to grow to about the size of a half dollar coin. I pretty much struggled with it for 4 weeks until it resolved. It sucked. My wife had one as well. I recommend 4 pr socks and do a change half way through the longer hot sweaty legs. At least initially until your feet toughen up to the punishment. Wet sweaty socks and damp boots I believe are what cause it. At breaks, get your boots off and massage your feet. Change to dry socks if really sweaty or even just damp. Read up on blister care of which the treatments and opinions are many and pick your poison. I used the needle and thread thing to little effect.

In the pharmacy they sell an aspirin based gel topical anti-inflammatory rub. I was skeptical at first, but it works! Use it early and often on muscle sore, tired legs ankles and feet. Especially after your walk ends for the day, at bed time and before booting up the next morning. You'll be glad you did.

Fitness...I would say I was so so fit wise. I lost 15 pounds during the trip. I'm not really over weight but I could stand to have lost 10-20 to be top fighting weight prior to setting out. I didn't so I lost it along the way. I am 58 years old and no health issues. My wife and I are evenly matched fitness wise. You will walk yourself fit on this trip. Understand though, the Camino first tears you down. Then it builds you back up.

Keep at it, you will become stronger day by day. The first week to 10 days is an ass kicker. You are sore, possibly blistered, and plum wore out. Stick to it as its worth it. A startling transition. Between weeks 2 and 3 you will really notice how much stronger you are. By week 4 you will be amazed at your cardio fitness, blasting up huge hills with little effort that on day one would have laid you out.

Day 1 over the mountains into Spain is no joke. If you are thinking of staying at Orrison, you need to make a reservation at least 3 months in advance. Its a small private albergue so they do take reservations. They will be full up for sure, so lacking a reservation you must be ready mentally to go all the way to Roncesvalles. Its a haul of about 16 miles over some good climbs and rocky descents. We had no reservation so we went all the way.

As in any endurance sport, eat before you are hungry, drink before you are thirsty. Don't bonk out! Eat and drink constantly on this leg. There is a lunch stop at Orrison. Stop there and make yourself eat and drink. I got two of the fresh squeezed glasses of orange juice (big in Spain) and added a couple sugar packets to them. You have to replace your stored muscle energy (Glycogen). You still have a hell of a hike from Orrison to the huge Hostel at Roncesvalles. Its a real challenge but rewarding after completed.

My wife and I it turned out were very well matched speed wise. We just let them, our friends Jim and his wife Jan go and we hooked up at breaks and for the night. They were well matched speed wise. We were usually around 15-20 minutes behind or less. Quite often we could see them way up ahead in the distance.

Since there were 4 of us (five actually- as Jim's wife Jan brought a friend), we decided early on to make private albergue reservations 2-3 days ahead. Nothing sucks worse than getting to your night stop and there is no room left. You are tired, sore, hungry and no bed. If a couple or by yourself...this might not be a big deal. But 5 beds was trouble at most times. I heard several stories of people spending the night outside in a pasture under a tree or rock hut. Trust me...it can thunder and rain like hell in Spain at night. Being out on a few nights I saw that happen would have not been fun.

Municipals won't take a reservation. Privates will. Your albergue clerk will usually help you make your next few reservations if you ask. They have a professional association and will recommend good ones ahead as well as call for you in most cases. Having a clear destination reserved takes the worry out of the walk, knowing you'll have a bed when you get there tired and spent. If you like the thrill of spontaneity, go for it. I don't like to worry if I'll have a nice bed for the wife and I. The privates run 20-30 Euros a night depending on what you want, but we were not on a budget. Also, they are a lot more upscale facility wise. Cleaner and better maintained. Some will even have a few private rooms which is nice every 4 or 5 nights.

Ear plugs are a must. I like Doc's Pro Plugs. People fart, snore, cough, dig in their pack and move in and out at all hours. If lights bother you, take eye shades. It's just a fact of life on the Camino. You are in a room with lots of strangers. Some could care less about your quality of sleep. Use ear plugs. They take a bit of getting used to but they make for a much better night's sleep.

Get a phone. You'll need a phone that works over there. Mine wouldn't so I purchased an Orange Phone. Just about any large town has phone stores. Orange is one dealer. You can get 10 hours at a time and recharge it in just about any larger town. You will use this phone to make your reservations, call a taxi or god forbid help- if you are injured on the trail. Worth every cent. Taxi's he said??? Look, we walked the whole thing. But, you may want to use a Taxi at some point to see something in a large city such as Pamplona, Burgos, Logrono, Leon etc.

For example, we stayed at Caesar Minor (SP?) just on the far West side of Pamplona. We saw some of the town on our way through but not everything. We arrived at our albergue around 2pm. We did laundry, took a rest and then wanted to go back into Pamplona to sightsee and eat dinner. We bussed into town. We took a Taxi back to the albergue. We used the phone to call the cab. Trust me... by the time you have walked 12-15 miles, walking backward to sightsee is not in my plan. You'll still get plenty of extra walking miles sightseeing.

This is very important! Be sure your ATM card will work there!!!! Call your bank. This is important. A credit card is good to have but basically worthless on the trail as nobody will take it. Maybe some stores and a hotel if you stay in one. Cash is KING. You need to have a working ATM card to recharge your cash as needed. ATM's are frequent in larger cities. I couldn't get more than $300 Euro at a time even after I called my bank and raised the limit. If it won't give you 500 euros at a time, try 300. It should work. You may have to try a few different big name banks before you find one on your home bank's system. I had a few issues early on trying to get money. Be sure to let your bank know what you are up to or they will turn your card off...not a good feeling.

Take some bug repellant. They don't seem to sell it there. The Gnats and Flies are really annoying in parts of the Camino. They seem to really like getting in your eyes and face. This is mostly on the central plains or "the flats" in the central part as I call them. Several days of long, strait flats and farm fields as far as the eye can see. We started walking at first light or just before. Its cool then and the bugs are not out yet. By 0915 or so, the sun is rising and the fliers are coming out. Get a sweat going...and you will sweat, here they come right in your face. Gnats and small to medium black flies. I would have sold my soul for a can of Deep Woods Off. The Spaniards don't seem to mind them. I hated them. They won't leave you alone. They love you.

Carry a small microfiber towel on your pack strap to wipe your face, sun glasses, back of the neck. It can be punishingly warm to just flat hot. Drink early and often. Hydrate! Until Galacia where its cool and you leave the bugs behind.

Be mentally ready for the routine of walking day in and day out for weeks. Some hikes were really scenic. Some...not so much. Anyone remember the hike into Burgos along the airport? By the time I hit Leon, I was um....well pretty much ready to go home. I really only had these thoughts early in the morning as I was booting up. After I got going, I was all in. Its a long time to be away from home. I missed my dogs and kids (who are grown but live near by). I missed my privacy and my stuff. My boats and motorcycles. My own bathroom and shower. You'll see what I mean. After about a month I was growing weary of it. You miss what you have and really learn to appreciate it. Simple things like your own bathroom with hand towels and hand soap is a huge one. Those communal bathrooms were something I really couldn't learn to like. In reality, obviously I knew I wouldn't quit since I never quit and we had gone that far and were very determined. But know this, it is a real challenge to walk in a back pack every day for weeks away from your comfortable home, friends, and things. Just be ready for the mental part of it.

You may not have this issue. I have been traveling the world for over 20 years. Exotic scuba diving trips mostly. This trip is a real endeavor and was longer by weeks then anything previous.

The fitness thing will come. The mental part is hardest. Toward the last week, I was close to the end and all was go for the finish. I'm very glad I did it. But it was a pistol.

I grew very tired of the food there. Some meals were quite good but lacking in variety. You'll see what I mean. You best like meat and white bread. Oh...they don't do condiments. I've never had tuna on my salads before. The Pilgrim Menu ok at first but ....gaaaa after a month. We did have a couple meals at the albergue in Villars de Orbigo that were stellar!!!! The cook was from Belgium. She had butter! Imagine that!!! BUTTER for the bread!!! Monte Gia!

The beer was cold and awesome at the end of the day. Nothing like that ice cold beer after a hot day on the Camino. Amazing! I hopewe this hwelped. Just go do it!!!! Enjoy and Buen Camino!
well that is quite a list and I agree with some of it but I must admit the only thing I ever missed on my Camino's was family. Stuff is just stuff and the more you walk the Camino the more you realizeits the simple things in life that make you happy, like a hot shower at the end of a long walk a simple meal you don't have to cook yourself and a few hours of blissful sleep in a bed .
Ahh how I miss being grateful for the simple life away from everyday life .buen Camino

well that is quite a list and I agree with some of it but I must admit the only thing I ever missed on my Camino's was family. Stuff is just stuff and the more you walk the Camino the more you realizeits the simple things in life that make you happy, like a hot shower at the end of a long walk a simple meal you don't have to cook yourself and a few hours of blissful sleep in a bed .
Ahh how I miss being grateful for the simple life away from everyday life .buen Camino

I missed my dogs. Didnt miss stuff. Taught me that I have too much of that, I was surprised how happy I was with so little..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Great advice, don't try to walk anyone else's Camino and don't make anyone else walk yours! It is not a race. Unless you are in peak physical condition, take the first week or so easy. You're climbing mountains for pete's sake! When you are tired and out of breath, STOP! Take a break!

Get a phone. You'll need a phone that works over there. Mine wouldn't so I purchased an Orange Phone. Just about any large town has phone stores. Orange is one dealer. You can get 10 hours at a time and recharge it in just about any larger town. You will use this phone to make your reservations, call a taxi or god forbid help- if you are injured on the trail. Worth every cent.

With how cheap and easy it is to get a phone, there is no excuse to not carry one. If you're a screen addict and want to unplug, get a call-only sim, with no data plan. Or, buy a cheap "dumb" phone that only calls and texts and throw it in your pack until you need it. When the Camino is over, you can donate it to a shelter when you get home.

I have said this before, and I'll say it again. When you are coming from overseas, buy a few euros at home so you can have them ready to go, just in case you do have a problem with your ATM card. Also, you don't have to worry about finding an ATM. You can just catch your train or taxi or bus or whatever.

I experienced those same feelings. (Maybe it's a mid-Camino crisis?) Whatever you call it, by the time I got to Leon, I was very "over" most things about the Camino. Oh look that this picturesque little village! Yeah, whatever. I just wanted to be done and home. It got so bad I walked 24 hours straight, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Pintin, which is just a few miles outside of Sarria. I reached Pintin around 8am and saw they had a little hotel or pension or whatever you want to call it. I asked how much for a room. It was like 35 euros. SOLD! I spent the entire day sleeping, watching Spanish TV, more sleeping, catching up on my journal entries, cleaning my clothes, getting my boots dry, and half a dozen other pilgrim chores that are so much easier to do without anyone else around. Oh, and I had my own private bathroom. I took TWO showers! The next morning, I was so refreshed and ready to go. But I felt a bit sad too, because there was less than a week of the Camino left. Next time when I go, I'm going to budget in a few more "vacation days" into my plans.

How we traveled there...

The beer was cold and awesome at the end of the day. Nothing like that ice cold beer after a hot day on the Camino. Amazing! I hope this helped. Just go do it!!!! Enjoy and Buen Camino!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and wisdom! Well taken and I'm looking forward to continuing my camino in May. Going back to Burgos then onward to Compostela.
Glad you are safe and best to you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back