• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Few Questions about Le Puy - Conques

Reb

Time of past OR future Camino
(May 2015)
Hello all,

I am on the verge of deciding to officially walk the Le Puy - Conques route toward the end of May, but I have a few questions for the veterans of this trail:

1. Are there long stretches where you might feel extremely isolated? I understand that I will be alone - this is indeed part of the attraction - but as a female walking solo, I wouldn't feel comfortable walking through a remote forested area for many hours at a time (for example).

2. Has anyone been bothered by the cows that seem quite abundant along the route? (I ask because I've seen cows become aggressive and unfortunately it has made a bad impression on me)

3. Does the path itself go straight through the heart of villages, or does one need to take a long detour to reach the village? (I've walked the South Downs Way in the UK and villages were multiple kms off the path)

4. Are private rooms an option, or are the communal gites the only available accommodation along much of this route?

Thank you very much for your insight!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are occasional isolated stretches.

Cows are not a problem. There are stiles to keep them in their appropriate pastures.

The path goes through villages. They want the commerce.

A private room is almost always an option. Phone ahead for a reservation.

There are occasional isolated stretches.

Cows are not a problem. There are stiles to keep them in their appropriate pastures.

The path goes through villages. They want the commerce.

A private room is almost always an option. Phone ahead for a reservation.
Falcon, some months ago I found your blog on the Le Puy route. Now I can't find it. Could you tell me where it is please? Thanks.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Reb, i walked the le puy route alone in 2012 and the arles route alone in 2013. I also walked alone in England and Scotland. Mostly in France cows are on one side of the barbed wire and you on the other -- less walking straight through land full of cows as in England. I am not saying it never happens but generally it does not. As far as long stretches alone there can be a few but many french women are walking alone or in small groups and they tend to be very welcoming. The one stretch you may be wise to walk with others is going over aubrac especially if there is still snow on the ground. I often walked with people i met at gites without a lot of chatter -- sort of the best of both worlds. I did have a small problem with a man in a car who saw me alone. I now walk with a very very loud whistle. Maybe it will help, maybe not. I just obtained the rights back on my book "letters from the way" about walking in France and if you wish to share your email address with me i can send you the pdf file. It is not at all a blog or travelogue but i think it might answer some of your questions about being a woman walking alone in France. You can get private rooms in gites sometimes but i found being with the people in the gites to be very enjoyable. The gites in France are often only a few people in a room as this route has only one fifth or one sixth of the way in Spain. Your miam miam dodo will tell you how many people to a room and you can select your gite based on that information. Best wishes

There are stretches where you may be walking without others in immediate view, but they are not very far away ... 10 or 15 minutes at the most. When you stop for lunch, you will be amazed at how many people pass you!

In my experience, hosts on this route do what they can to create male and female rooms. Within limits of course, and not always.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello all,

I am on the verge of deciding to officially walk the Le Puy - Conques route toward the end of May, but I have a few questions for the veterans of this trail:

1. Are there long stretches where you might feel extremely isolated? I understand that I will be alone - this is indeed part of the attraction - but as a female walking solo, I wouldn't feel comfortable walking through a remote forested area for many hours at a time (for example).

2. Has anyone been bothered by the cows that seem quite abundant along the route? (I ask because I've seen cows become aggressive and unfortunately it has made a bad impression on me)

3. Does the path itself go straight through the heart of villages, or does one need to take a long detour to reach the village? (I've walked the South Downs Way in the UK and villages were multiple kms off the path)

4. Are private rooms an option, or are the communal gites the only available accommodation along much of this route?

...!

I walked that route last year, here my personal experience:

1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes, straight into the villages. Detours are rarely more than 200 meters at most.
4. Mixture of both, buy a MiamDoDo guide in le Puy, that one will give you all the information regarding accommodation you will need.

Bon Chemin, SY

Hello all,

1. - No, you're seldom out of sight of other walkers for long.

2. I grew up on a farm, so didn't bother me. But was never in a field with cows, unlike, say, West Highland Way.

3. Chemin goes through villages/towns - they want the business!

4. The only communal gite I had to stay in was at Le Sauvage - shared it with two French women (I'm male) but no real problem. Otherwise I stayed in 2-star hotels - cheap and cheerful, but with good evening meals.

I recommend the route, and Conques is a lovely place to finish. The most difficult bits are the climbs out of Monistrol d'Allier and Estaing (they seem to go on for ever!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back