• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few questions about life on the Camino Frances

Eddiebee

Eddiebee
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPDP to SDC May & June 2017
As May 18 gets closer, I am thinking about all sorts of things that I don't know. Those of you that have been there may think some of these are trivial, but I would like to fit in and not make stupid mistakes.

1) Most places where I drink coffee have free refills and many offer a go cup when you leave. Do the bars in Spain offer free refills? Is it rude to drink a cup and take another with you? I hear a lot about coffee with milk, and I do plan to try it, but can I get a regular black coffee?

2) Is it a problem to recharge a cellphone, which is my camera, and do most places have available electric outlets? I would like to avoid the weight of an auxiliary battery. Do beds have outlets near them or is it community outlets? Are outlets first come first served of is there a procedure to follow?

3) I have to get up a lot at night. Is there usually any problem getting to the bathroom 3 to 5 times a night? On the Camino, what is the best way to find a bathroom and what do you do if you can't? In The Way it shows the guys with their backs turned to the path. Is that acceptable or should I seek a more hidden place? I play a lot of golf and know how to go behind a tree.

4) What are the best things to carry for lunch if you are going to eat on the run or stop for a brief picnic? What local foods should I be sure not to miss?

I'm sure that there are many more things that I need to know. Please tell me anything that a newbie would need to know or even tell me your silliest mistake. Thanks in advance.

Been Camino,
Ed

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do the bars in Spain offer free refills?
No. Almost all coffee is espresso.

do most places have available electric outlets?
Yes. Newer places have plugs next to every bunk.

Is there usually any problem getting to the bathroom 3 to 5 times a night?
No. Have a flashlight you can hold in your mouth. I have a "button" flashlight. Stop early in the afternoon so that you can get a lower bunk.

What are the best things to carry for lunch if you are going to eat on the run or stop for a brief picnic?
Sandwiches. Anything you pick up on a tienda. Cheese. Salami.

No "go-cups" or "free refills" at any of the cafes/bars I was ever at on the Camino. Just ordered a cup of coffee, sat down and drank it. If I wanted another, I ordered another and sat down and drank it. You want a cup to go, get a travel mug to bring with you, transfer the coffee to that and get to hoofing.
If you don't want milk with your coffee, ask for "cafe Americano" or "cafe solo".
On the Camino itself, if you are walking and gotta pee, find a bush, tree, whatever to go pee behind. Just like when you are out playing golf. If there are no pilgrims in sight, just step off the path and don't worry about concealment. Besides, nobody seems to even notice peeing pilgrims.
Get some bread, ham, cheese, chorizo, whatever, to make your picnic. There are many markets, large and small along the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As My 18 gets closer, I am thinking about all sorts of things that I don't know. Those of you that hav been there may think some of these are trivial, but Iwould like to fit in and not make stupid mistakes.

1) Most places where I drink coffee have free refills and many offer a go cup when you leave. Do the bars in Spain offer free refills? Is it rude to drink a cup and take another with you? I hear a lot about coffee with milk, and I do plan to try it, but can I get a regular black coffee?

2) Is it a problem to recharge a cellphone, which is my camera, and do most places have available electric outlets? I would like to avoid the weight of an auxiliary battery. Do beds have outlets near them or is it community outlets? Are outlets first come first served of is there a procedure to follow?

3) I have to get up a lot at night. Is there usually any problem getting to the bathroom 3 to 5 times a night? On the Camino, what is the best way to find a bathroom and what do you do if you can't? In The Way it shows the guys with their backs turned to the path. Is that acceptable or should I seek a more hidden place? I play a lot of golf and know how to go behind a tree.

4) What are the best things to carry for lunch if you are going to eat on the run or stop for a brief picnic? What local foods should I be sure not to miss?

I'm sure that there are many more things that I need to know. Please tell me anything that a newbie would need to know or even tell me your silliest mistake. Thanks in advance.

Been Camino,
Ed

1) I think that is very much a North American thing, or a service offered in fast food restaurants ;) Your coffee will generally be served to you, rather than here is a cup, help yourself.
2) Most places have outlets. I presume Albergues are shared outlets.
3) Albergue users will explain the etiquette. Generally try not to use lights, (other than small non white handheld ) be quiet, considerate. While walking, there are plenty of trees and bushes. No one will bother to look at you...
4) What do you like to eat? There are generally places to stock up each day as you pass through villages. I carry a mix of nuts and dried fruit. Or maybe a bread roll with filling. But mostly just eat in the bars/cafes I pass. Whatever you see.......try it! There is often not a great deal of choice.

There are plenty of food options, you won't go hungry. Quite the opposite!

Buen Camino :)

[QUOTE What local foods should I be sure not to miss? [/QUOTE]

Be sure not to miss a tortilla española. A perfectly delicious combo of eggs and potato. So yummy. Just make sure when ordering that you make clear that you want just a "porción" as served at tapas bars, which is just a wedge with some bread. If you order una tortilla you will end up with the whole thing and it will cost you 20 or 25 Euro. Sandwiches would be a great thing to take with you. If you order a "sandwich" you will get a slice or two of meat or cheese on two slices of bread. If you order a "bocadillo" you will get a roll (baked fresh daily) with the aforementioned meat and cheese. And... a note about ham. In Spain jamón serrano is very popular, but be advised it is very dry and salty. If you want something more along the lines of lunch meat type ham, ask for jamón york.

If you can, take an outlet that can accommodate more than one charger; that way, you can share. Sharesies is good. Buen Camino. :):)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You have all of the answers you need above, however, I will add that we would wrap up our leftovers from breakfast in foil and they made for great picnics later in the day. Here is a photo of my favorite picnic spot, and the leftover FRENCH FRIES from breakfast. Lots of french fries. If you have a chance to pick up some fruit for a picnic, do it. Buen Camino! :)Breakfast left-overs.JPG

1) I think that is very much a North American thing, or a service offered in fast food restaurants ;) Your coffee will generally be served to you, rather than here is a cup, help yourself.
2) Most places have outlets. I presume Albergues are shared outlets.
3) Albergue users will explain the etiquette. Generally try not to use lights, (other than small non white handheld ) be quiet, considerate. While walking, there are plenty of trees and bushes. No one will bother to look at you...
4) What do you like to eat? There are generally places to stock up each day as you pass through villages. I carry a mix of nuts and dried fruit. Or maybe a bread roll with filling. But mostly just eat in the bars/cafes I pass. Whatever you see.......try it! There is often not a great deal of choice.

There are plenty of food options, you won't go hungry. Quite the opposite!

Buen Camino :)
I was hoping to shed a few pounds. It sounds as if I may have a hard time not gaining a few.

I was hoping to shed a few pounds. It sounds as if I may have a hard time not gaining a few.

Some recommendations on fabulous food on the Camino Frances.
- Tortilla
- Chorizo
- Garlic Soup
- Roast lamb/Roast pork
- Steak - sliced up and cooked on a hot stone at your table
- Pulpo (Octopus)
- Cheese with honey in Galicia
- Chiparones (small fried squid)
- Gambas al ajillo (Garlic prawns)
- Razor clams
- Padron Peppers
- Paella

Enjoy!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
...... we would wrap up our leftovers from breakfast in foil and they made for great picnics later in the day.
At the risk of being thought persnickety, I would like to mention that the operative word here is 'leftovers.' I think it is just fine to pack up one's leftovers from a meal that one has ordered and paid for. I do not think it is okay to take more than one can comfortably eat at a buffet breakfast with the intention of packing some away for a meal later in the day, nor do I think it is okay that, after one has eaten one's fill, to go back and help oneself to the buffet offerings to pack away for later. (Please know that I am not saying that our posters did this. Nothing in their post indicates this, and there is no need to be defensive.)

Yes, maybe I am persnickety, but I am really bothered when I see people doing this.

At the risk of being thought persnickety, I would like to mention that the operative word here is 'leftovers.' I think it is just fine to pack up one's leftovers from a meal that one has ordered and paid for. I do not think it is okay to take more than one can comfortably eat at a buffet breakfast with the intention of packing some away for a meal later in the day, nor do I think it is okay that, after one has eaten one's fill, to go back and help oneself to the buffet offerings to pack away for later. (Please know that I am not saying that our posters did this. Nothing in their post indicates this, and there is no need to be defensive.)

Yes, maybe I am persnickety, but I am really bothered when I see people doing this.
I have seen people do exactly what you say in many places. Taking extra food from a buffet is rude and dishonest. Taking your leftovers for eating later is neither. I do it often. Most restaurants serve more than a person should eat at one setting. I would enjoy sharing a picnic of leftovers with JulieandPeter.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

To be clear for me, I was taking what was left uneaten on the plate that was served to me. I always have a lot left on my plate. At home, I ask for a to-go box at the end of a meal in a restaurant, and give the box (even if it is a small amount) to the homeless and hungry in our neighborhood who are always grateful that I chose not to let the leftover food be thrown away . . . . On the Camino, I was grateful to have not wasted the perfectly good food that was left on my plate. Actually, never had a buffet breakfast on the Camino. Just bread and fries and was frequently offered a few slices of bread to take along on the road.
:)

Last edited:
As My 18 gets closer, I am thinking about all sorts of things that I don't know. Those of you that hav been there may think some of these are trivial, but Iwould like to fit in and not make stupid mistakes.

Been Camino,
Ed
Kidney regulation 1.0 : Less coffee = less pee. Coffee is a diuretic so good luck with that equation. Get a phone case with a cord and use the phone's flashlight hanging around your neck, hands are free for blissful release of coffee end-product - phone light is very bright, it's an LED, so uses negligable power and it's being constantly recharged. No need for extra spending and carrying/maybe losing another bit of stuff.

My silliest mistake would have been to start a Camino without some training. Spontaneity can be a fetish, it seems to me. Some folks are lucky - they just go, but everyone is different, of course. My discovery was weak arches. I learned enough during training to avoid serious trouble later. A Camino is an unusually long road which can be a wakeup for some re health/fitness. I've learned by close reading here on this forum that many don't make their distance goals and many who don't, don't write about it. Some who breeze through, write as though everyone has the same potential. Absurd. On the other hand, it's a wonderful adventure, and if you have the time and don't think of "non-completion" as failure, it can be sublime in a myriad ways.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Some recommendations on fabulous food on the Camino Frances.
- Tortilla
- Chorizo
- Garlic Soup
- Roast lamb/Roast pork
- Steak - sliced up and cooked on a hot stone at your table
- Pulpo (Octopus)
- Cheese with honey in Galicia
- Chiparones (small fried squid)
- Gambas al ajillo (Garlic prawns)
- Razor clams
- Padron Peppers
- Paella

Enjoy!
All these sound delicious, thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would enjoy sharing a picnic of leftovers with JulieandPeter.
Eddiebee, We are starting in Viana on June 1, so our paths may cross. We would love to picnic with you - look for us - we will be the pilgrims with the tinfoil wrapped leftovers. :) Buen Camino!

Not sure why you needed to mention this in context with what JulieandPeter had to say. Not even sure why it was mentioned in connection with the Camino. I have seen people do exactly what you say in many places. Taking extra food from a buffet is rude and dishonest. Taking your leftovers for eating later is neither. I do it often. Most restaurants serve more than a person should eat at one setting. I would enjoy sharing a picnic of leftovers with JulieandPeter.
I mentioned it because we are talking of things camino-related, and I have seen this done on the camino, despite polite signs requesting that this not be done.

To be clear for me, I was taking what was left uneaten on the plate that was served to me. I always have a lot left on my plate. At home, I ask for a to-go box at the end of a meal in a restaurant, and give the box (even if it is a small amount) to the homeless and hungry in our neighborhood who are always grateful that I chose not to let the leftover food be thrown away . . . . On the Camino, I was grateful to have not wasted the perfectly good food that was left on my plate. Actually, never had a buffet breakfast on the Camino. Just bread and fries and was frequently offered a few slices of bread to take along on the road.
:)
I did say there was no need to be defensive. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is probably worth pointing out that you will probably need an adapter to change from US plugs to Spanish. If you have stuff that charges through a USB connection that should be sufficient. Don't bring anything that will need a transformer to charge because of bulk and weight.

if you do need to get up frequently in the night, try to take a bed on a bottom bunk nearer the door if you can. The minimun light/noise you can make in the night, the more it willbe appreciated by your fellow sleepers. I have a tiny LED bike light that suffices for those times.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My favorite snacks were the "fruta seca", nuts and dried fruit, that you can get packaged or in bulk everywhere in Spain. I always had them in my pack, plus a juicy pear (fruit is good in Spain), a hunk of cheese, bread left over from breakfast--and chocolate! Great chocolate in Spain, too....

I didn't often "eat lunch on the run", it was great to get off my feet for that half hour in a cafe! My favorite meal, since I don't eat much meat, was a combination plate of fried eggs, salad and fries, or a salad with tuna.

I had a Yubi multi-port power station (5 ounce) to charge my phone. Most albergues have outlets near your bed, but it was still nice to be able to share it sometimes. I did bring a Zapp battery pack, which had a built-in flashlight. It gave me the security that if I was out alone in the middle of nowhere (which I often was on the Camino Invierno), I'd still have use of my phone if needed. On The CF, you probably wouldn't need a battery unless you listen to music while walking.

As I'm a slow walker and didn't want to rush out on the morning, I often ended up arriving late in the day at an albergue, and getting a top bunk. I got more adept as my walk went on at getting up and down in the middle of the night--though I did lie awake in the dark more than once, steeling up my resolve to climb down that ladder....

While we're on the subject--men have a much easier time of it than women peeing while on the trail, as you can imagine. But still, please don't just turn your back, walk off a ways and find a more hidden spot. I managed to usually be able to take an orange juice or coffee break when I needed to use the facilities. Bathrooms were one of the things I worried about ahead of time that turned out not to be a problem once I got on my way.

Have a wonderful Camino!

My favorite snacks were the "fruta seca", nuts and dried fruit, that you can get packaged or in bulk everywhere in Spain. I always had them in my pack, plus a juicy pear (fruit is good in Spain), a hunk of cheese, bread left over from breakfast--and chocolate! Great chocolate in Spain, too....

I didn't often "eat lunch on the run", it was great to get off my feet for that half hour in a cafe! My favorite meal, since I don't eat much meat, was a combination plate of fried eggs, salad and fries, or a salad with tuna.

I had a Yubi multi-port power station (5 ounce) to charge my phone. Most albergues have outlets near your bed, but it was still nice to be able to share it sometimes. I did bring a Zapp battery pack, which had a built-in flashlight. It gave me the security that if I was out alone in the middle of nowhere (which I often was on the Camino Invierno), I'd still have use of my phone if needed. On The CF, you probably wouldn't need a battery unless you listen to music while walking.

As I'm a slow walker and didn't want to rush out on the morning, I often ended up arriving late in the day at an albergue, and getting a top bunk. I got more adept as my walk went on at getting up and down in the middle of the night--though I did lie awake in the dark more than once, steeling up my resolve to climb down that ladder....

While we're on the subject--men have a much easier time of it than women peeing while on the trail, as you can imagine. But still, please don't just turn your back, walk off a ways and find a more hidden spot. I managed to usually be able to take an orange juice or coffee break when I needed to use the facilities. Bathrooms were one of the things I worried about ahead of time that turned out not to be a problem once I got on my way.

Have a wonderful Camino!
Very helpful. Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Eddiebee, We are starting in Viana on June 1, so our paths may cross. We would love to picnic with you - look for us - we will be the pilgrims with the tinfoil wrapped leftovers. :) Buen Camino!
It might slow me a little to check everyone's pack for tinfoil, but I'm not in a hurry, so maybe our paths will cross. Burn Camino, Ed

good questions! good answers! Absolutely right about getting a lower bunk as close to the door as you can!
As is the idea of taking a multiple usb wall charger, then you can just unplug what is in there, put yours in and plug back in again - and you will have helped others when they come to plug in.
I am sure you already have this, but if you don't it is worth installing an app such as Dropbox (which is free) so that all your photos upload to wherever the internet is (or whatever the internet is) - then if you lose your phone you still have your photos.

You can buy really tiny 'keyring' torches (flashlights) very cheap indeed - a good tip is to buy some wrapped sweets before you go and save a couple of the translucent red wrappings. Wrap the beam of your torch in a red wrapping with an elastic band and you have an instant night light that allows you to see but won't disturb other pilgrims.

I am a Brit and over here we take our hot drinks hot - no, HOT! too hot to drink so we have to take tiny scalding sips until we can start to drink it (sounds odd I know but we like the feeling of almost scalding our mouths!) - so .. we get to Spain and receive these tepid 'hot' drinks - what is that all about? not only that, they give you really small amounts in really thick china - we like big mugs! .... as for free refills!! Hahaha, good try - I wish!! and whatever you do, don't ask for tea!! They will put a rubbish catering 'buy a thousand for one Euro' tea bag into a small thick china tiny cup of tepid water and expect you to drink it - don't do that!!

Peeing is just like when playing golf - if more 'serious' you can get away from Camino but do carry a small plastic trowel and some plastic bags to clean up after yourself. Though commando type soldiers tend to carry clingfilm which works really well.

Carrying food? Depends on your home diet .. some seem to exist on sugar rushes from 'protein' bars and 'sports' bars which are really just sugar bars .. others go down the Kerouac route and carry nuts and raisins ... you will find small shops along the way - the Camino is a small-bill cash economy by the way - my staples tend to be sausage, cheese, and bread .. then I can add daily items such as tomatoes and yoghurt - and if you like eating yoghurt, take a spoon! -

As for the wonderful Spanish food along the way ... to me (I say this about me, my personal taste and experience) it doesn't exist. Most pilgrim menus are identical . a thin pan fried meat of some sort, cheap under-cooked catering fries and tinned peas .. dessert won't even be on a plate but will be something frozen with a spoon stuck in it. Even the cheapest house wine seems to be pretty good, as is the bread. You can upgrade an evening meal by going a la carte and then you can get into Spanish specialties but whether you think they are wonderful or not will depend upon what you like to eat - I say go for the new experiences, savour it all, but I have been going to Spain for over twelve years now and I still haven't eaten anything that I would term 'wonderful', quite the total opposite in fact, but that is most likely just me and my taste buds.
Actually, in all those years I still haven't eaten anything that I really liked, except roast lamb and that is the same everywhere.

I used to live in France and in the years there I enjoyed every single meal and dish that I had, so it isn't 'foreign food' that I don't like, it is what is to me the appalling and over-rated Spanish food, which is almost as horrid as Mexican food - I think they are related. (and I was once a cook in the Merchant Navy so I do know something about food).

Here is an example - everyone raves on about the tortilla but what it actually is is an unseasoned stodgy potato egg wedge thing that tastes of nothing, will lodge like a hard lump in your stomach, and will play havoc with your bowel movements. It isn't interesting, it doesn't taste nice, it doesn't look nice, and although you can get freshly cooked ones the ones you will usually find on Camino have been sitting behind that glass display for hours and hours, maybe days and days!!
A plus is that a standard Camino tortilla can be used as a door stop and even a wheel wedge if you meet someone who has failed brakes on their car. ;)

:) Don't let me put you off, you will Love it all!! The Camino is the most marvellous place in the world.

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
1) If you order and pay for a 2nd cup, you can take it with you if you have a container. I've never asked for a 'refill' in Spain.

2) Outlets are first come, first serve. Some places have more outlets than others, but many albergues are in older buildings with limited outlets. I would never EVER leave my electronic device plugged in unattended, by the way.

3) At night, just maybe speak to the hospitalero and ask for a bed close to the toilet. Please get up quietly and use a red light, and do your best not to disturb sleeping pilgrims. On the Camino, go behind a tree please. I don't want to know (or guess) what you're doing. :)

4) Here is a blog I did on the topic of lunch on the Camino http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/08/lunch-on-camino-santiago.html

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here is an example - everyone raves on about the tortilla but what it actually is is an unseasoned stodgy potato egg wedge thing that tastes of nothing, will lodge like a hard lump in your stomach, and will play havoc with your bowel movements. It isn't interesting, it doesn't taste nice, it doesn't look nice, and although you can get freshly cooked ones the ones you will usually find on Camino have been sitting behind that glass display for hours and hours, maybe days and days!!
A plus is that a standard Camino tortilla can be used as a door stop and even a wheel wedge if you meet someone who has failed brakes on their car. ;)

Im going to pretend you didn't say that about my beloved tortilla!! :p

As for the wonderful Spanish food along the way ... to me (I say this about me, my personal taste and experience) it doesn't exist. Most pilgrim menus are identical . a thin pan fried meat of some sort, cheap under-cooked catering fries and tinned peas .. dessert won't even be on a plate but will be something frozen with a spoon stuck in it. Even the cheapest house wine seems to be pretty good, as is the bread. You can upgrade an evening meal by going a la carte and then you can get into Spanish specialties but whether you think they are wonderful or not will depend upon what you like to eat - I say go for the new experiences, savour it all, but I have been going to Spain for over twelve years now and I still haven't eaten anything that I would term 'wonderful', quite the total opposite in fact, but that is most likely just me and my taste buds.
Actually, in all those years I still haven't eaten anything that I really liked, except roast lamb and that is the same everywhere.

I used to live in France and in the years there I enjoyed every single meal and dish that I had, so it isn't 'foreign food' that I don't like, it is what is to me the appalling and over-rated Spanish food, which is almost as horrid as Mexican food - I think they are related. (and I was once a cook in the Merchant Navy so I do know something about food).

:) Don't let me put you off, you will Love it all!! The Camino is the most marvellous place in the world.

Buen Camino.
:p:p:p David, the OP has indicated that he is going on camino next month. Do you not have a camino in the works? Is the green-eyed monster lurking about? :p;)

good questions! good answers! Absolutely right about getting a lower bunk as close to the door as you can!
As is the idea of taking a multiple usb wall charger, then you can just unplug what is in there, put yours in and plug back in again - and you will have helped others when they come to plug in.
I am sure you already have this, but if you don't it is worth installing an app such as Dropbox (which is free) so that all your photos upload to wherever the internet is (or whatever the internet is) - then if you lose your phone you still have your photos.

You can buy really tiny 'keyring' torches (flashlights) very cheap indeed - a good tip is to buy some wrapped sweets before you go and save a couple of the translucent red wrappings. Wrap the beam of your torch in a red wrapping with an elastic band and you have an instant night light that allows you to see but won't disturb other pilgrims.

I am a Brit and over here we take our hot drinks hot - no, HOT! too hot to drink so we have to take tiny scalding sips until we can start to drink it (sounds odd I know but we like the feeling of almost scalding our mouths!) - so .. we get to Spain and receive these tepid 'hot' drinks - what is that all about? not only that, they give you really small amounts in really thick china - we like big mugs! .... as for free refills!! Hahaha, good try - I wish!! and whatever you do, don't ask for tea!! They will put a rubbish catering 'buy a thousand for one Euro' tea bag into a small thick china tiny cup of tepid water and expect you to drink it - don't do that!!

Peeing is just like when playing golf - if more 'serious' you can get away from Camino but do carry a small plastic trowel and some plastic bags to clean up after yourself. Though commando type soldiers tend to carry clingfilm which works really well.

Carrying food? Depends on your home diet .. some seem to exist on sugar rushes from 'protein' bars and 'sports' bars which are really just sugar bars .. others go down the Kerouac route and carry nuts and raisins ... you will find small shops along the way - the Camino is a small-bill cash economy by the way - my staples tend to be sausage, cheese, and bread .. then I can add daily items such as tomatoes and yoghurt - and if you like eating yoghurt, take a spoon! -

Buen Camino.
Wow! Sorry to ear about your bad experience about food in Spain. How much money are you willing to pay for a decent dinner? Many pilgrims think that the Camino is a example of what Spain is. I suggest you to go to a mid class restaurant, " outside of the Camino", pay 20 to 40 euros for lunch or dinner. Maybe you will be surprised. Usually the food in the camino is second (or third) category, cheap and not really spanish food. ( Pasta, french fries, burguers etc are not spanish) When younger I went to Belgium and feed myself for a week with frites, sausages, mussels and cheap beer. Two weeks ago I returned there and spent some more money. Things changed positively, I can swear it. :)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Icacos - yes, a little green eyed at the moment! I hope to be out there early June!!!!
Trecile - nope, horrid things !!
Pinguigrino - have tried many different restaurants, from Barcelona to Santiago - it really is just me. I like British, Italian, French, Dutch, Indian, Chinese, Malay, Indonesian, and I am always open to trying new things - I just cannot get on with either Spanish or Mexican. I have had friends take me to 'proper' restaurants and I mmm and aaahhh and smile and eat all before me ... but that is me only being polite .. just doesn't do it for me and I have no idea why!!! how sad am I !! Mind you, to be fair, I have never been taken to a restaurant by Spanish people who know the area.
Then - think of the Paella, the true Paella - has no one apart from me ever noticed that it is mainly soggy rice? not fluffy rice with lovely things in it but soggy and oily rice and that every part of it, as it is cooked in one, tastes the same, regardless?
Gazpacho - a cold soup with avocado in it! avocado! cold! I mean ...........
and the bread - it tastes lovely, is good bread, but no one ever seems to mention that the crust is sharp enough to cut your mouth!
(oh dear, I will have to wear a disguise next time I go to Spain!).

My usual thing in a foreign country is to look for small places that locals seem to eat in and then ask them to "surprise me" - hoping that this will allow the chef to place in front of me what they really like - works everywhere, well, almost everywhere :)

in my defence - I DO like Churros con chocolat!!

Last edited:
There was another question that slipped my mind. What is the best place along the Camino to take a rest day and play golf?

There was another question that slipped my mind. What is the best place along the Camino to take a rest day and play golf?

Golf course at Ciruena, after Logrono. A housing estate was built but very few sold - I think because they thought golfers would want to live there? anyway, the Camino goes right through it and it feels really strange, like being transported into a post apocalypse film!

The best place is in Ciruena.
Except for the golfclub and hotel it is a really dead village....But I took a coffee in the cafe part and it is really nice place.
http://www.golfrioja.com/contacto/

EDIT David and I posted same moment...but I added the link.

Then - think of the Paella, the true Paella - has no one apart from me ever noticed that it is mainly soggy rice? not fluffy rice with lovely things in it but soggy and oily rice and that every part of it, as it is cooked in one, tastes the same, regardless?
David, I agree with you 100% on the paella. This is because the first paella I ever sampled - in a Spanish restaurant here on the wet coast of Canada - was made with saffron and was divine. Since then, to me, if a 'paella' is not made with saffron, it is not a paella, but a pilaf or pilau. And saffron, being the most expensive spice in the world, is not likely to be found in pilgrim food in Spain. I've had some good pilafs, but most of them are mediocre at best, and some not even that. I can make you a really good paella with saffron, bordering on the divine. On the other hand, a good Trinidadian chicken pelau (which is made without saffron) can also border on the divine. :)

"I still haven't eaten anything that I would term 'wonderful', quite the total opposite in fact, but that is most likely just me and my taste buds.
Actually, in all those years I still haven't eaten anything that I really liked, except roast lamb and that is the same everywhere."

David
Have uou ever tried "Zamburiñas a la plancha" ?

I

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Icacos - yes, a little green eyed at the moment! I hope to be out there early June!!!!
Trecile - nope, horrid things !!
Pinguigrino - have tried many different restaurants, from Barcelona to Santiago - it really is just me. I like British, Italian, French, Dutch, Indian, Chinese, Malay, Indonesian, and I am always open to trying new things - I just cannot get on with either Spanish or Mexican. I have had friends take me to 'proper' restaurants and I mmm and aaahhh and smile and eat all before me ... but that is me only being polite .. just doesn't do it for me and I have no idea why!!! how sad am I !! Mind you, to be fair, I have never been taken to a restaurant by Spanish people who know the area.
and the bread - it tastes lovely, is good bread, but no one ever seems to mention that the crust is sharp enough to cut your mouth!

My usual thing in a foreign country is to look for small places that locals seem to eat in and then ask them to "surprise me" - hoping that this will allow the chef to place in front of me what they really like - works everywhere, well, almost everywhere :)

in my defence - I DO like Churros con chocolat!!

OK David, It´s perfectly understandnable, each one have their own preferences. Based upon your descriptions of spanish food, I think you had have very bad luck. Paella soggy and oily rice? I will kill the cheff. :) Real paella is dry, near scorched rice, each grain full of taste and separate of their fellows grains. Avocato inside a gazpacho? Gazpacho is an ancient recipe, the avocato is known in Spain at the last 40 or 50 years, popular at the last 25. I cant say which cook will be the next on the gallows. Better of being in Spain wearing a disguise, I suggest you to mail me. I´ll try to change your opinion, but dont worry, in the case I could not re-educate you, we spanish people are usually tolerants with ignorants forigners in bad taste. (Just jocking)
But I can´t understand why the hell are you putting mexican and spanish food in the same box. Its sound to me like comparing, lets say, French and Moroccan food. Both of them are tasty to me, but absolutelly diferent.
Buen Camino. (And buen provecho)

Last edited:
Pinguigrino - name the restaurant and the meal is on me!! ...

..... sorry, I assumed that Mexican had Spanish influences ... I know, it is completely wrong to say that a whole nation's food is awful!! I was writing lightly but didn't make it jokey enough, wrote it too seriously, not my intention - apologies!!!
I have obviously had bad luck eating in Spain - all the Paellas I have eaten, for instance, were soggy ...

The other 'problem' I have is that I cannot eat seafood that has lived in a shell .. cockles, scallops, crab, etc and I find octopus to be like rubber -- oh dear!!!

I take it all back (well, some of it) and next visit to Spain I promise that I will try one or two really excellent restaurants and ask them to surprise me!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Fellow pilgrims! I am now convinced that I have made really poor restaurant choices when in Spain, more than likely because I was choosing price rather than quality - and what nonsense to disparage a whole nation's food! Rather than delete my first post, which would make all further posts nonsensical - I am following up here.
I hope that I have not given offence, it was not my intention if I have and if I have I apologise. (Mind you! the things I have heard said about English food!!!)

Wherever I am staying in Spain on my next visit, if in a city, I will ask local Spanish people for restaurant tips and go to those - I will eat the best they have to offer (within reason, I am not wealthy!!) - and try dishes that I have not even heard of before - coo! an adventure and a mission!! I do like adventures - excellent!!

Buen Camino all!!

Mind you, to be fair, I have never been taken to a restaurant by Spanish people who know the area.
!

Yup, lol!
Noooooo, gazpacho doesn't have avocado in it! :eek: If you buy the Pak stuff, it doesn't taste anything like the home-made one.... Like comparing squash to freshly squeezed orange juice.
Paella.... Admittedly, it isn't easy to find a good one, I wouldn't even try it on the Camino! Actually I did once because the others insisted, I knew it would bear no resemblance to paella and...it certainly didn't! A properly made paella is heavenly :cool:
From my experience, there is no such thing as Spanish cuisine in general, it is all according to regions and differs greatly.
I make an exception for the wonderful tortilla de patatas, which is good practically everywhere :cool:;)

David, no offence, for sure. I´m just jocking. By example I love and respct Mexico, but cant try their food. Same for Thailand, Indian etc. Its something about taste, nor disrescpect. We, spaniards are accustomed to hear praises about our food, nowadays it is considerated one of the best of the whole word, but like a spanish saying says " There are colours for every preference." Hope you dont feel bad couse my jokes. In that case, I beg your perdon, kind sir.
Buen Camino for you all honest people.

Fellow pilgrims! I am now convinced that I have made really poor restaurant choices when in Spain, more than likely because I was choosing price rather than quality - and what nonsense to disparage a whole nation's food! Rather than delete my first post, which would make all further posts nonsensical - I am following up here.
I hope that I have not given offence, it was not my intention if I have and if I have I apologise. (Mind you! the things I have heard said about English food!!!)

Wherever I am staying in Spain on my next visit, if in a city, I will ask local Spanish people for restaurant tips and go to those - I will eat the best they have to offer (within reason, I am not wealthy!!) - and try dishes that I have not even heard of before - coo! an adventure and a mission!! I do like adventures - excellent!!

Buen Camino all!!

David : If I have the luck of meeting you I will take you to San Clemente in Santiago and/ or Casa Barqueiro in Negreira. First we will eat ( my treat ) and then we will talk....;)

David- I have had fabulous Paella, cooked by a Spanish friend's mother... it bore no resemblance to the cheap 'food as fuel' version I ate on the Camino! As you say- its horses for courses- I recall in my youth hearing about a competition on MTV europe- they joked that the person who came last would be forced to eat British "cuisine" for a year.... hehe

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Pinguigrino - name the restaurant and the meal is on me!! ...

..... sorry, I assumed that Mexican had Spanish influences ... I know, it is completely wrong to say that a whole nation's food is awful!! I was writing lightly but didn't make it jokey enough, wrote it too seriously, not my intention - apologies!!!
I have obviously had bad luck eating in Spain - all the Paellas I have eaten, for instance, were soggy ...

The other 'problem' I have is that I cannot eat seafood that has lived in a shell .. cockles, scallops, crab, etc and I find octopus to be like rubber -- oh dear!!!

I take it all back (well, some of it) and next visit to Spain I promise that I will try one or two really excellent restaurants and ask them to surprise me!!
Oh, David....I knew you were joking......................with a grain of salt.:p

..... sorry, I assumed that Mexican had Spanish influences ...

My 1st trip to Spain, I had trouble even reading menus, the food is so different. I speak Spanish, but was asking for English menu translations at first. I caught on pretty quickly, but there was definitely a learning curve. Otherwise my California-Mexican Spanish served me just fine with just a few hiccups. The food thing was an unanticipated surprise.

As for the wonderful Spanish food along the way ... to me (I say this about me, my personal taste and experience) it doesn't exist. Most pilgrim menus are identical . a thin pan fried meat of some sort, cheap under-cooked catering fries and tinned peas .. dessert won't even be on a plate but will be something frozen with a spoon stuck in it. Even the cheapest house wine seems to be pretty good, as is the bread. You can upgrade an evening meal by going a la carte and then you can get into Spanish specialties but whether you think they are wonderful or not will depend upon what you like to eat - I say go for the new experiences, savour it all, but I have been going to Spain for over twelve years now and I still haven't eaten anything that I would term 'wonderful', quite the total opposite in fact, but that is most likely just me and my taste buds. ....

With you there for the most part, David. The Camino isn't the place to expect haute cuisine. I have to say though that the pulpo in the Café Ezequiel (if that's the correct spelling) in Melide was indeed wonderful. Peregrinos usually hit the place around noon and a plate of diced pulpo with paprika, olive oil and potatoes, served on a wooden platter with a bottle of Cruzcampo to wash it down is just what the doctor ordered.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Buen Camino all!!

Goodness no, it was all taken in good spirit! I'm French and I love talking about food, that's what we do :oops: :D
As a by the by, the worst food I've had was in France, on the Via Francigena....WHEN it was available! Anything's better than going hungry though :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The best place is in Ciruena.
Except for the golfclub and hotel it is a really dead village....But I took a coffee in the cafe part and it is really nice place.
http://www.golfrioja.com/contacto/

EDIT David and I posted same moment...but I added the link.
Thank you both. I will have to give serious thought to taking a rest day that early, but the pictures on their site sure are tempting. Been Camino, Ed

David,

Goodness, what have your respondents missed!

When you get into Galicia you'll notice something on the dessert menu called Tarta de Santiago. I tried this, pigged out and ever since have been searching for a recipe to try to emulate this divine taste. Eventually I found one from UK which all the respondents raved about as the best and most authentic, but, although reasonably nice, turned out to be just an egg and zest cake nothing like the real deal. Still working on it and getting closer. But don't miss when you are there.

Entering Melide, on the left is a semi-open family restaurant specialising in pulpo. World famous, not to be missed, also have the vegetable soup.

Re coffee, cafe con leche is milk coffee, cafe solo black coffee, cortado is coffee with a dash of milk, also espresso. But remember Mike's warning, coffee is a diuretic and it will dry and tire you out. Cafe con leche is much less severe in this regard than the others. Remember the milk is UHT, but it certainly tastes a lot better than the stuff inflicted on us in Oz. You could try a hot chocolate but ask for Cola Cao, as the full monty is virtually something you have to eat with a spoon, and getting through it can be an ordeal. Mind you, its calorific content will possibly fuel you up for several days!

When I walked in winter the bars didn't seem to open until about 10 and I'd been walking over three hours by then. I would load up on water before starting, also carry about 2 litres with me (incidentally, re water most of the en route fountains etc in the Basque region were broken or turned off, but this may be different in more popular seasons). I would breakfast usually with an orange juice (zumo de naranja) and a bocadillo and along the way grab an apple, orange, banana and some nuts for lunch, then eat better at night. Except for Melide of course where I lunched at the pulp place. The apples and oranges, even in winter, were way better than anything I've been able to get here, but the same can't be said for the bananas.

Re charging appliances, in the big towns and cities there were quite a few people staying in the albergues, even in winter and the power outlets were often fully utilised. Must say I seldom saw the bulk of these people on the track, and a Swiss lady educated me in the ways of the Camino, pointing out that in slack times some albergues will open up to tourists to keep the cash flow going.

De colores

Bogong

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It might slow me a little to check everyone's pack for tinfoil, but I'm not in a hurry, so maybe our paths will cross. Burn Camino, Ed
Ed, You cannot miss our red blanket (our very, very light weight red blanket).

On a different note:
Every time I asked my husband what he was thinking about as we walked, his answer would always be about food.
At this moment in the first photo below, I was feeling overwhelmed by the beautiful vista, I asked, once again, "What are you thinking about right now?"
His reply, "Is that a Starbucks I see in the distance?"
He had me laughing all the way across Spain.
There obviously was not a Starbucks anywhere (thank goodness because the coffee in Spain is delicious), but there was a wonderful little cafe in that village way, way, way off in the distance.
Starbucks..JPG Not Starbucks.JPG Camino picnic.JPG

Suffice it to say, after reading the comments in this thread, we are all on our own journey when it comes to finding a good meal.

Last edited:
As May 18 gets closer, I am thinking about all sorts of things that I don't know. Those of you that have been there may think some of these are trivial, but I would like to fit in and not make stupid mistakes.

It's cafe con leche in Spain. No refills or to-go cups.

There are usually enough outlets, although you might want to bring a power unit that has multiple USB outlets so that you can share an outlet with others.

Just be quiet about it. A low power LED key light would come in handy. As far as peeing by the trail, it all comes down to what you are comfortable with.

Bread, sausage, cheese and an apple was the trail lunch for me, sometimes supplemented with a yogurt. I actually preferred those lunches to the restaurant versions, which were usually pretty mediocre.

Been Camino,
Ed

Wow! Sorry to ear about your bad experience about food in Spain. How much money are you willing to pay for a decent dinner? Many pilgrims think that the Camino is a example of what Spain is. I suggest you to go to a mid class restaurant, " outside of the Camino", pay 20 to 40 euros for lunch or dinner. Maybe you will be surprised. Usually the food in the camino is second (or third) category, cheap and not really spanish food. ( Pasta, french fries, burguers etc are not spanish) When younger I went to Belgium and feed myself for a week with frites, sausages, mussels and cheap beer. Two weeks ago I returned there and spended some more money. Things changed positively, I can swear it. :)

I can't speak for the food on the Camino, yet, but I was in Spain for a month last year ( Coruna & Madrid ) I stayed with friends that live there.
The food was outrageously good.
When I was on my own to eat I stuck with restaurants that didn't have an English menu. ( whenever possible ) I don't speak Spanish but I can understand a menu in Spanish pretty well.
I live in North New Jersey close to NYC. We have a decent amount of Mexican restaurants. The Mexican food is great but it really doesn't have anything in common with food from Spain.

€149,-

Been Camino,
Ed

Been Camino,
Ed

Hi Ed,

I will also be starting my first Camino on the 18th of May. I am staying at Orrison. Perhaps, we'll see one another on the journey.

Guess it's important to remember that while we all have so much in common as humans, we are very different in our preferences, paces, and pain levels! Listening to my inner voice is an important Camino goal for me.

Buen Camino!
Sue

Hi Ed,

I will also be starting my first Camino on the 18th of May. I am staying at Orrison. Perhaps, we'll see one another on the journey.

Guess it's important to remember that while we all have so much in common as humans, we are very different in our preferences, paces, and pain levels! Listening to my inner voice is an important Camino goal for me.

Buen Camino!
Sue
Hello, Sue. I too will be at Orisson on May 18. I will be in SJPDP the evening of the 16th and day of the 17th. I'm sure we will meet at one place or the other. This will be the great adventure of my life. I am so excited to get started. Been Camino, Ed

Well, you have some serious problems here, David :D But I don't mind, you can take the lamb and I'll go for a "shell food" ;)

This thread really turned into something partly provocative and partly funny. I like that :)

David : If I have the luck of meeting you I will take you to San Clemente in Santiago and/ or Casa Barqueiro in Negreira. First we will eat ( my treat ) and then we will talk....;)
Can I join in and volunteer to drink while you'd be talking?
Won't say a word. Promise! ;)

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Can I join in and volunteer to drink while you'd be talking?
Won't say a word. Promise! ;)

Ok you are in Kinkyone:D. I have a pretty good idea we both will be drinking and talking...and then both being politely being asked to leave the premises....;) But everything to prove the point to David that Spanish cusine is wonderful.

OK, I can't help but add my own opinionated opinions to this now off-the-track thread!

--You can spend a few more euros and skip the pilgrims menu with its endless pork filets and fries, and eat a lot better and more varied on the Camino. The salads, grilled vegetables, fish, eggs, and fruit were all tasty and nutritious. The tortilla (yes, its heavy, it's eggs and potatoes) was a welcome way to get something substantial to eat first thing in the morning, when the choice otherwise is bread or pastries. Bread and pastries....yum...

--I never had paella on the Camino, since I figured anything advertised outside a restaurant on a mass produced poster probably was frozen and not worth the calories.

--The food on the Invierno was wonderful. Everybody, including restaurants, have gardens, so even the french fries tasted better. Maybe that's true for all of Galicia?

--I can't imagine a weirder place to spend a rest day than Ciruena, which is a ghost town of vacation homes that looks like it was abandoned at the height of the housing collapse. Is there even a cafe there?

--Eddiebee, if you want to play golf on your off day, after a week of walking non-stop, I'll eat my UV resistant hat!
Here are some photos of food on the Camino. Thanks for the happy memories!

Attachments

• 5_6f_Burgos2.jpg
    5_6f_Burgos2.jpg
    681.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 5_12d_CarrondeLosCondes3.jpg
    5_12d_CarrondeLosCondes3.jpg
    858.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 5_18a_Oncina2.jpg
    5_18a_Oncina2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
The tortilla (yes, its heavy, it's eggs and potatoes) ...
Actually, if you ranked ingredients in the tortilla according to weight, oil may be the first ingredient, or at least not far behind potato. Of ot wasn't for the oil, I would be making it here at home regularly.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Having worked in the hospitality industry for many years, I got over the "pic nic packers" long time ago. Have at it from the buffet, just tip well......

OK, I can't help but add my own opinionated opinions to this now off-the-track thread!

--You can spend a few more euros and skip the pilgrims menu with its endless pork filets and fries, and eat a lot better and more varied on the Camino. The salads, grilled vegetables, fish, eggs, and fruit were all tasty and nutritious. The tortilla (yes, its heavy, it's eggs and potatoes) was a welcome way to get something substantial to eat first thing in the morning, when the choice otherwise is bread or pastries. Bread and pastries....yum...

--I never had paella on the Camino, since I figured anything advertised outside a restaurant on a mass produced poster probably was frozen and not worth the calories.

--The food on the Invierno was wonderful. Everybody, including restaurants, have gardens, so even the french fries tasted better. Maybe that's true for all of Galicia?

--I can't imagine a weirder place to spend a rest day than Ciruena, which is a ghost town of vacation homes that looks like it was abandoned at the height of the housing collapse. Is there even a cafe there?

--Eddiebee, if you want to play golf on your off day, after a week of walking non-stop, I'll eat my UV resistant hat!
Here are some photos of food on the Camino. Thanks for the happy memories!
Hello The Austrian. Do you want a sauce to go with your hat or do you prefer to eat it plain? I figure if I'm going to drag my clubs for 500 miles, I should use them at least once. Just kidding.

I have heard that many places to eat have a plate of the day that is a little higher quality. Any comments?

I am confused by your reply. But when it comes to food.......I am very opinionated indeed. I sent you a PM about instant coffee.
As for food, I upped my budget and only ate a Pilgrim's meal once.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
[QUOTE What local foods should I be sure not to miss?

Be sure not to miss a tortilla española. A perfectly delicious combo of eggs and potato. So yummy. Just make sure when ordering that you make clear that you want just a "porción" as served at tapas bars, which is just a wedge with some bread. If you order una tortilla you will end up with the whole thing and it will cost you 20 or 25 Euro. Sandwiches would be a great thing to take with you. If you order a "sandwich" you will get a slice or two of meat or cheese on two slices of bread. If you order a "bocadillo" you will get a roll (baked fresh daily) with the aforementioned meat and cheese. And... a note about ham. In Spain jamón serrano is very popular, but be advised it is very dry and salty. If you want something more along the lines of lunch meat type ham, ask for jamón york.[/QUOTE]

Jamon serrano is a curated ham, like prosciutto. If you guys have the chance, try the iberico, a type of curated ham simply delightful (and expensive). Even David will enjoy it.

Eddiebee, in Navarra you must eat chistorra, cuajada and drink patxaran. In La Rioja... well, no need to say a thing about wine. In Burgos search for a good morcilla, sweets and cakes in Palencia and don't miss the cocido maragato in Leon. And Galicia has a lot of cows and seafood.

Paella's from Valencia on the Mediterranean coast. On the Way you won't find one better than those you may find in the US. Every province, every region has its own cuisine, go for it and enjoy it.

Buen camino.

I have two queries:
What is an OP? The only thing I can think of is Old-age Pensioner.
I have never been in an albergue that had a bath. Have I been staying in all the wrong places?

I have two queries:
I have never been in an albergue that had a bath. Have I been staying in all the wrong places?

Bedl0w,
OP usually means Original Post or Poster.
Like you in more than 450 nights in albergues on the CF I have never seen one with a bath tub. However I have seen/used many bizarre systems for controlling the shower water system.
Happy washing and Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have two queries:
I guess that I qualify for either definition of OP since I am 70 years old, retired, and draw a pension. It took me over a week to puzzle out what OP meant.

Buen Camino,
Ed

Last edited:
Bedl0w,
OP usually means Original Post or Poster.
Like you in more than 450 nights in albergues on the CF I have never seen one with a bath tub. However I have seen/used many bizarre systems for controlling the shower water system.
Happy washing and Buen camino!
I seem to recall that Casa de las Sonrisas in Grañon had a tub in the bathroom. But seeing as how there was but a single bathroom in the entire place no one spent time luxuriating in it.
I have heard that many places to eat have a plate of the day that is a little higher quality. Any comments?
You are referring to the menu del día, which is served midday, and is typically the largest meal of the day for Spaniards.

GEE what a post & all about coffee: bottomless cups & even one for the road. Sorry no time to read all responses! Needless to say, the Camino will provide. Oh & btw if you order "cafe americo" you should get what to need. A large cup (250-275mls) of coffee close to what you are asking for?! Cheers
Ops that should be " cafe Americano"!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My dear @David yes some Spanish food is close to uneatable or just plain bad. On the other hand lots can be special. The paella in casa de cacerases was first class! No stoggy rice here! Please keep looking; you will find one!

Last edited:
David,

Goodness, what have your respondents missed!

When you get into Galicia you'll notice something on the dessert menu called Tarta de Santiago. I tried this, pigged out and ever since have been searching for a recipe to try to emulate this divine taste. Eventually I found one from UK which all the respondents raved about as the best and most authentic, but, although reasonably nice, turned out to be just an egg and zest cake nothing like the real deal. Still working on it and getting closer. But don't miss when you are there.

Entering Melide, on the left is a semi-open family restaurant specialising in pulpo. World famous, not to be missed, also have the vegetable soup.
Bogong

I have a recipe for this that substitutes some mashed potato for some of the almond meal. It makes an excellent cake that everyone who has tried it prefers over straight almond meal.

I've seen many recipes I hope the gluten free varieties are widely available in Galicia.

Been Camino,
Ed
I've never come across anywhere in Spain where coffee refills are served. Ask for an cafe americano. You won't need more than one, coffee tends to be a lot stronger than the in the US. Most lodgings have charging points, either take an adapter or you can buy one in one of the many oriental emporiums in the larger towns/cities. they cost less than €5. Discretion is key when answering calls of nature. When you arrive in your albergue ask the hospitalero for a bed near the facilities or ask someone to swap. I don't know what age you are but many places 'reserve' beds for older/infirm/injured travellers - usually a bottom bunk. With the exception of Orisson - Roncesvalles, there is usually a cafe or shop to pick up supplies ( you can buy a sandwich in SJPP or Orisson). I'd also recommend that you move away from the 'menu peregrino' when in larger towns and cities and splash out on a good meal. The food in northern Spain is spectacular. My favourites are cordero al forn (lamb) and polpo gallega (octopus) also pimientos de padron (grilled peppers). Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Been Camino,
Ed

You will fit in, you will make mistakes, it'll be fine. As to your questions:

1. I have never seen a free refill of coffee at any of the cafe's I have been in. I don't think it is part of the culture.
2. Not a problem, there are outlets, not all places have tons of outlets so if you bring a small power bar (with appropriate adapter if from N America) you will be a hero.
3. No problems with bathrooms. There are several in the albergues. They do not all have toilet seats but they are there. Going behind a tree is acceptable. Don't leave waste paper behind.
4. Lots of small stores/cafe's along the way. Be brave, experiment if you're not familiar with Spanish food. There are sandwich's (called bocadillo s) they are mainly comprised of bread, ham, cheese - no spreads, no relish, no mayo or ketchup. Don't bother asking for them. Lots of vegetables, fruit, cheeses and, of course, wine and water.

Lastly, be open to all the camino offers and have fun.

Last edited:
Having worked in the hospitality industry for many years, I got over the "pic nic packers" long time ago. Have at it from the buffet, just tip well......
:) Who benefits from that? The worker, or the person who buys the food in the first place? And how does that work in a country where tipping is not the norm? I say buy your next meal at the tienda down the street and support the owner. Many of them are kind enough to reopen for you after they've closed up for the day if you tap on the window pane. It's happened to me. :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Been Camino,
Ed
awesome questions!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
hello
almost all the albergues where I stayed had charging locations near/at each of the bunks. Make sure you have enough adapter/converter plugs - you'll lose one or two along the way.

Bathrooms are close by.

Coffee in Spain is a national disgrace and there should be a UN resolution banning this. Having said that, I'd recommend bringing along your own packs of Starbucks VIA coffee (not a paid endorsement -I promise) or nescafe packs.

buen camino

[QUOTECoffee in Spain is a national disgrace and there should be a UN resolution banning this. Having said that, I'd recommend bringing along your own packs of Starbucks VIA coffee (not a paid endorsement -I promise) or nescafe packs.

buen camino[/QUOTE]
You have got to be kidding! No way instant coffee is better than freshly brewed coffee with hot milk. Stick with cafe con leche or cafe americano. Far superior.

What are the best things to carry for lunch if you are going to eat on the run or stop for a brief picnic?

Nuts, Green or red peppers, bread, tomatoes (make sure not too soft), cheeses, chocolate, traditional country sausage if you can find any and otherwise just chorizo, carrots IF you can find fresh ones that have never been refrigerated, sandwiches yes but made yourself during your lunch break ideally, but also -- nothing ever too heavy, so as not to mess up your hiking from drowsiness, nor ruin your appetite for the evening pilgrim menu !!

I've only ever gained weight on pilgrimage in Italy -- they do sometimes spoil you terribly in that country ... :rolleyes:

I've never asked for a 'refill' in Spain.

I've only ever asked for refills in Europe for beer -- or for top-ups, really. If there's a good reason they'll accommodate -- if you asked for a squeeze of lemon or some other mix, and they put in too much for your taste, for example -- or you've been standing at the bar in pleasant conversation with the barman.

Only rarely, at youth hostels for example, have I seen coffee refills freely available, and only at breakfast IIRC. Some of the refugios provide similar, but not quite, it's until it runs out. I've never seen it, in France, UK, Spain, or Italy, at a café, bar, or restaurant.

I used to like the crème caramels that had small seal on the base to aid extraction. I could just fit one of the foresaid into my mouth, pull the seal and you get a rush of crème caramel. It always made me smile - I guess everyone to there own. Great food on the Camino though and try to avoid the tortillas.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back