• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

a few questions before starting in late June

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015 (CF, 100 miles), June/July 2018 (CP, ~40 miles, too hot!)
Hi all,

I have a few questions; answer all or any as you see fit and have experience. I so appreciate all the kindness and good, practical advice in this forum that I've been scouring for a few months. I've learned a lot, so thank you already for all you've done.

1) I'll be on the Camino starting in Leon from about June 23 to July 23. I'm 47, overweight, but very active, and pretty fit, having lost 146 pounds over the years. I lift weights three to five times a week, play petanque once to three times a week, occasionally swim, occasionally kayak and am a beginning archer, and aim for 10k steps every day. Any rough estimate on how long it might take me to complete 205 miles from Leon to SdC? I have knee issues, so I'm a bit of a slow walker, but I persevere and have really good endurance.

2) Will I need a jacket or layers even in summer? I tend to be hot-natured, and definitely want to keep my backpack to 10 pounds or so. So far I have two sets of clothes, but was wondering if I should bring a jacket, or a tank top or a fleece jacket. How cold does it get in the mornings and at night? I live in California, so I'm used to layering for desert weather: cold in the mornings and night, warm to downright hot in the middle of the day.

3) I've got a sleeping bag liner, but is it worth it to bring a flat sheet also? Again, limiting backpack weight and unnecessary extras is a prime consideration. But I hate sleeping hot!

4) With knee issues (subluxing, one fixed surgically, one significantly strengthened over the years with lots of weight workouts and weight loss), what's the best way of navigating a downhill slope with loose gravel? I still have PTSD from a bad knee accident in college in the 80s, so keeping my knees safe is a major concern. I read recently about "traversing" a slope going side to side, and I want to know how that's done, or if someone could point me in the direction of a website or video, I'd appreciate it.

5) I'm REALLY fair, sunburn easily, but also don't want to overheat. Any advice on sunscreen, layers, SPF clothing, etc.? I bought a lightweight, longsleeve hoodie that's thin. I was hoping to put my cap on, a cooling bandana, then the hoodie, and avoid becoming a redneck. :)

Again, thank you all. I love the Forum, and am beyond excited about walking the Camino. This last academic year, my (older) husband had a life-threatening, two-months-in-hospital illness with multiple surgeries that he fortunately survived, and I'm now a displaced teacher -- still have a job, but no position, so I'm feeling that this time on the Camino is JUST what's needed on many levels. Buen Camino and Ultreya!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi all,

I have a few questions; answer all or any as you see fit and have experience. I so appreciate all the kindness and good, practical advice in this forum that I've been scouring for a few months. I've learned a lot, so thank you already for all you've done.

1) I'll be on the Camino starting in Leon from about June 23 to July 23. I'm 47, overweight, but very active, and pretty fit, having lost 146 pounds over the years. I lift weights three to five times a week, play petanque once to three times a week, occasionally swim, occasionally kayak and am a beginning archer, and aim for 10k steps every day. Any rough estimate on how long it might take me to complete 205 miles from Leon to SdC? I have knee issues, so I'm a bit of a slow walker, but I persevere and have really good endurance.

2) Will I need a jacket or layers even in summer? I tend to be hot-natured, and definitely want to keep my backpack to 10 pounds or so. So far I have two sets of clothes, but was wondering if I should bring a jacket, or a tank top or a fleece jacket. How cold does it get in the mornings and at night? I live in California, so I'm used to layering for desert weather: cold in the mornings and night, warm to downright hot in the middle of the day.

3) I've got a sleeping bag liner, but is it worth it to bring a flat sheet also? Again, limiting backpack weight and unnecessary extras is a prime consideration. But I hate sleeping hot!

4) With knee issues (subluxing, one fixed surgically, one significantly strengthened over the years with lots of weight workouts and weight loss), what's the best way of navigating a downhill slope with loose gravel? I still have PTSD from a bad knee accident in college in the 80s, so keeping my knees safe is a major concern. I read recently about "traversing" a slope going side to side, and I want to know how that's done, or if someone could point me in the direction of a website or video, I'd appreciate it.

5) I'm REALLY fair, sunburn easily, but also don't want to overheat. Any advice on sunscreen, layers, SPF clothing, etc.? I bought a lightweight, longsleeve hoodie that's thin. I was hoping to put my cap on, a cooling bandana, then the hoodie, and avoid becoming a redneck. :)

Again, thank you all. I love the Forum, and am beyond excited about walking the Camino. This last academic year, my (older) husband had a life-threatening, two-months-in-hospital illness with multiple surgeries that he fortunately survived, and I'm now a displaced teacher -- still have a job, but no position, so I'm feeling that this time on the Camino is JUST what's needed on many levels. Buen Camino and Ultreya!
Hi, about question 1; it's about 300 km. from Leon to SdC and you have about 30 day's I think that's enough time for you and enjoy yourself during your journey.
Question 5;you should use sunscreen.
I wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi!

1) My guess is that you should plan for 17 days from Leon. It’s normally 13 days, but I have added 4 days in the event that you’ll need some shorter days due to your knees.

2) A lightweight rain jacket or parka would be a good idea. Galicia can be rainy in summer. (I have not been there in summer, so I’m basing this on weather data.)

3) Take only a light sleeping bag liner.

4) “Traversing” means going down in a diagonal, zig-zag pattern. For instance, if the road is 10 ft. wide and you go down at a 45 degree angle from straight down, you will walk 14 feet along each diagonal instead of 10 feet straight. This means the slope of the decline will be 70 percent of the straight down slope. If the straight down is really steep, just zig-zag in a tighter pattern.

5) Your ideas look good, but use sunscreen. A wide brim hat would provide more shade. If you are from the USA, see Consumer Reports, July 2015, for sunscreen evaluations.

Best of Luck!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
IMG_5562.JPG IMG_0948.JPG This June, I would NOT take a jacket. I would take layers and maybe a windbreaker.
I would NOT take a flat sheet.
I would have a good hat with a broad brim and I use an umbrella when on the Camino in summer.
It makes a huge difference, walking in the shade!
Another thing I sometimes do is walk with a large lightweight scarf covering my shoulders and arms.

Caminokate: you sound like you are in pretty good shape and shouldn't have any trouble doing the leg from Leon to Santiago. On my first camino I was older than you and in much worse shape and I made it to Santiago in 14 days. Regarding your concerns about your knee: You will not have a lot of loose gravel on downhill sections from Leon. The best support for downhill sections is the use of trekking poles. I find them extremely helpful for keeping some of the weight off of my hips and knees, especially on downhill sections. They also help with balance. I don't think you would need to traverse any of the dowhills, but if you do it will mean that you just walk in an "s" shape or zig-zag across the trail rather than directly straight down.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back