• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few questions from a newbie

Jgood

Hi all! I am planning to hike the Camino del Norte, starting in the beginning of this March. Because of budget constraints, I am not currently planning to be hiking the whole thing, but rather am going to spend 12-14 days on the trail (unless it is cheaper than I expected- but i've been reading a minimum of $25-30 per day).

-Where is the best place to start? Is there a section of the trail that is generally more scenic or are the scenic areas generally well spread out?

- What do people do about snack food/water while on the trail? I've been reading that the albequeres and places to eat are more spread apart than on the Frances.

-What do people do about sleeping if an albequerque is booked?

- Besides a sleeping bag/mat, boots, maps, backpack what are some other essentials i'd need?

- Will it be dangerous hiking the coast in March? I've read that it is quite wet and rainy- are there any sketchy cliffside parts I should consider skipping?

- Should I be worried about getting robbed? I am traveling alone (i'm a 20 year old guy btw) and will have my passport with me.

- How important is a knowledge of Spanish? Are trail markings and signs easy to read for someone with little knowledge of the language, (as well as asking for directions)? (I am planning on bringing a dictionary)

- Are there any parts of the trail with easy transportation to Barcelona or Madrid? What is the most accessible airport?

Any other advice is welcomed! :D

-Justin

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola Justin and welcome.
Santander airport and Oviedo (Asturias) airport are both on the Norte. If you can get to either then that may be the best place to start. Otherwise the ALSA bus or RENFE train can get you to a starting point, or back from some points along the way.
West of Santander there is accomodation at reasonable distances and places to buy snacks etc as you go through.
If you get either the new Cicerone guide or the CSJ guide then you will find alternative accomodation suggestions as well as albergues listed, plus cafe-bars etc.
Always keep your passport etc with you, preferably zipped into a security pouch or internal pocket. A wise precaution, but we have always felt safe on the Camino.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.