• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few questions :)

mm3g

Hi there!

My mother and I are currently in the early planning stages of our pilgrimage, and it appears that we are both horrible at doing internet research - think you could help with some questions? :)

Here's the deal: the two of us have exactly 26 days in May to walk. We know for sure that we want to begin in St. Jean de Pied - how could we forgo the Pyrenees? - and we'd kind of like to end up in Santiago. It's my understanding, however, that the full length of the Camino Frances is typically a 30-day+ walk, so it looks a though some days must go.

So here's the question: would it be possible to cut out 5-6 of the walk between St. Jean and Santiago? After some feeble attempts at research I was able to figure out a direct bus route from Pamplona to Burgos, but I'm worried that we'd be missing "nice" sections of the walk if we cut out those 10-something days. Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know if there is bus/train service between the smaller towns (Belarado, Fromista, etc.) along the walk?

Even just giving some input on what sections of the walk you find nicest* would be greatly appreciated! Like I said, I was unfortunately not blessed with spectacular research abilities...

*by "nicest" I mean scenic, rural, etc. My mother hates the idea of walking alongside long stretches of highway, so I'm hoping to cut out days which would have us do so.

Thanks,
Maggie (& mom)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Due to foot problems, I did take bus and train on a couple occasions. I took the train from Sahagun to Leon, it was about 6 Euros if I remember correctly....I could be wrong, but it was pretty cheap. I also took a bus from Tostantos to Burgos (thanks to some snorers, I got no rest the night before and was in NO mood to be walking....it would have been akin to sleepwalking). I think that cost about 2 Euros and I was able to avoid the concrete jungle before Burgos.

It still took me five weeks to do the Camino, even with taking the bus a few times, and the train once. After Astorga, I felt I could make it by keeping my mileage down to 15-20km a day and babying my foot. And I did just fine doing that. I met a brother/sister duo from Sweden who took a bus to Leon from Carrion de los Condes (I think) because they were on a tight schedule as well. It worked for them.

There are plenty of options, more of them in the bigger cities like Burgos, Leon, etc.....I'd read some of the guidebooks and see what you don't mind missing. Good luck!

I walked with someone with knee problems who occasionally used buses and taxis. These quite often do run between smaller places in Spain, but not on Sundays.

The worst highway bits imo are into and out of Leon. Do visit Leon, but maybe catch a bus from Mansilla de las Mulas into Leon, then from Leon to Hospital de Orbigo, and skip a day or two that way.

Renegade, I was glad to see you make that comment about keeping your mileage down to cope with foot problems. This was the same advice a physio in Cacabelos gave my friend with knee problems, to make sure she was able to finish and get a Compostela in Santiago. Some seemed to feel the need to walk huge distances, got horrendous blisters, then disappeared... onto a bus? off the Camino?
Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I start on the 27 April and have only 29 days in which to complete my Camino, so I have been advised to catch a bus into both Leon and Burgos from the outskirts. I think, however, that is probably best just to be flexible and just see how it goes along the way rather than keeping to a rigid schedule - so that if you want to linger in one place, you can just make up the time by catching a bus elsewhere when you feel the need to take it a bit easier. At least that is my plan. I have spent hours reading all the messages on this forum and watching all the videos on YouTube so I am now so excited and counting the number of sleeps left. Whatever happens, I am going to enjoy every minute of it - rain, hail, snow or shine.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks everyone, your answers really helped! We've decided to cut out the walks into/out of the big towns and cities, hopefully we make it... *fingers crossed*

p.s - Good luck on your walk jenny!

Hi mm3g
Some Camino math.
Saint Jean Pied du Port to Santiago is 780 kms, or 31 days if you
assume you are walking an average of 25 kms per day.
Walking 25 kms per day for 29 days takes you 725 kms.
You only need to bus 55 kms to finish your walk in time.

I did a lot of adding and subtracting here and then deleted it. Enough mumbo-jumbo.

I walked from SJPP an average of 28 kms per day and arrived in Santiago in 28 days.

Don't get anxious early and bus too much. But make sure you have 4 days to walk the last 100 kms from Sarria to qualify for the certificate, Compostela.

Doesn't matter what I say, your camino will happen. Go for it. It will be great.
David, Victoria, Canada.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
OOPS. I see you have 26 days, not 29.
Same principles apply.

Go for it, Have a blast.
David, Victoria, Canada.

If you are not strong hikers I would suggest you start off really slow for the first week until you get into a rhythm. Take two days from St Jean to Roncesvalles and do shorter stages between there and Logrono.
Many people skip the meseta altogether between Burgos and Leon but some of the most ancient and traditional pueblos are to be found on this section. As Margaret said, you can skip 2 days from Mansilla de las Mulas into Leon and another 2 tedious, (alongside a highway) days by getting a bus from Leon to Astorga.

I agree with Sil the meseta is very flat and hard to walk.
Looking back however there are some beautiful places that I remember very fondly.
Hontanas an absolute gem hidden in a scar in the hill.Sahagun, Mansilla and even Carrion are all beautiful places that I enjoyed greatly.

Any suggestions for the 'Gem' of the Meseta ?

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I can think of three!
Before Hontanas is the wonderful, atmospheric, San Bol. (I could spend a week there
and take a daily swim in the medicinal spring)
After Hontanas is the gracious, historic ruins of the San Anton Convent.
Staying with the monks at Hospital San Nicolas - communal dinner by lamplight, feet washing as part of the blessing. Where else in the world would you experience something like this?
Watching the sunset behind the casa at Bericanos (one of my favourite albergues) and singing the French Ultreia! song at dinner.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back