• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few questions...

Mark2012

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012, 2014) Camino Finisterre (2012, 2013, 2014) Camino Portugues (2013), Camino del Norte (2015)
Hey all,

Two weeks from today I will be flying into Biarritz and getting a taxi from there to St Jean (I know it's expensive, but the Sunday public transport schedule isn't meshing well with my arrival time, so I'm biting the bullet on the cost), and starting the Camino the following morning, so it's very close now.

I still haven't reached that stage of nervous expectation, largely because I'm still trying to tie up all the loose ends of my life over here in Ireland, and until I do that, I won't have the luxury of really thinking about how close it is.

My preparations are moving along, of course. I think I've got most of what I need at this stage, though not everything. I have a few questions, though, which I would be curious to hear different answers to. It's mostly pretty minor stuff, which may be the luxury of being reasonably well prepared!

1. Will I need a poncho?
I've seen a lot of enthusiastic postings here about the merits of ponchos, but I've also read some less effusive comments on personal blogs, particularly relating to how ponchos can, apparently, be less than fully effective in windy conditions. The rucksack I bought for the Camino came with a rain cover, I'll probably also bring a hooded rain jacket and I'll have a hat too, so will that be sufficient?

2. Is cotton an absolute no-no?
Only very recently have I become aware of the view that people should not wear cotton t-shirts on the Camino. It seems most objections relate to slow drying and the possibility of chafing. Unfortunately, I only realised this was apparently so after buying a few t-shirts with the Camino in mind and not paying any heed to the fabric. And after an audit of my wardrobe, I was amazed to find that almost every t-shirt I own is 100% cotton. That being the case, if I follow the advice on not wearing cotton, I'm facing further expense, which doesn't make me very happy. I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone reading this that preparing for a Camino can be quite expensive. Also, I have read some posts on hiking forums claiming that cotton can be perfectly acceptable for long-distance walks and that the hostility towards the fabric has been blown out of proportion. So, what say you all?

3. To shave or not to shave?
This might seem like a superficial, vain type of question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. My skin can be quite sensitive and doesn't always react well to shaving, and so I'm debating whether or not to take advantage of the Camino to take a break from it. If I decide to shave, I would want to bring my own specific shaving gear, rather than just pick up blades and foam randomly in a town on the route, again, because of the sensitivity issue. Bringing my own shaving gear will mean carrying weight in my rucksack which maybe won't be necessary. So, I suppose the main question arising from this is, are there any downsides to not shaving on the Camino? Aside from irrational fears of bugs and insects hiding out in my beard (!), I can't think of any negatives - other than the fact that I'm one of those Irishmen whose beard tends to be a not entirely flattering shade of red!!!

Thanks in advance for any answers to the above. As I said, I don't think any are particularly earth-shattering queries, but I'm curious about what people think. Perhaps the cotton one is the most important to canvass opinions on. It'll be a shame if I can't bring the Ireland Euro 2012 t-shirt I specifically bought to wear on those days that we play our group games against Spain, Italy, and Croatia!!! ;-)

Mark

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Mark! Very good questions. From my point, very easily answered.

1. No. It seems you're good with both pack cover and rain jacket. If you feel you absolutely have to have one, buy one on the way. I'd bet you'll be just fine without.

2. I wouldn't bring cotton only because I have inexpensive synthetic material clothing, nothing "high end". The only items cotton I have are a tiny washcloth and my sarong(used for an incredible amount of purposes even for a guy like me). Shirts, socks, underwear, and shorts have no cotton. Maybe there is a cheap place to purchase a synthetic (quick-dry) shirt or two? You can still bring your Euro-Cup shirt for evening wear when not walking in the sun and/or when watching the matches, relaxing in the alburgues. Ha, beer stains instead of sweat stains! Anyway, having non-cotton shirt and underwear have been a great decision for me.

3. I shave only twice a week at most when at home. While traveling, I shave about every 8 days or so. My face gets itchy. I only "cleanup" every few days in between. I'm lucky because my shaving gear include the razor, regular soap, and hot water on a good day. Sometimes I can ask a fellow traveler for some foam in exchange for a beer.

I've been backpack traveling for years and this will be my third Camino in June. The above has worked for me quite well.

Funny I have no problems for this part of the trip. The "hard" part will be going to Dublin for 5 days after in only my Camino clothes!

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Hi Mark!

I agree, that a decent rain jacket should be sufficient. As far as I know none of my Camino family this year had a poncho. I'm sure they're practical if you don't have a rain cover for your pack, but I suspect there's also an element of 'wearing the pilgrim uniform' about them. :)

As you say, the cotton question is more important. I've always worn cotton. On my first Camino I just took all my old t-shirts that were condemned for the bin anyway in case I had to dump stuff I found that I didn't need. It was fine last year (April-May), but this year (March-April) I regretted it slightly. It was much colder. When it's cold and you stop walking in a sweaty t-shirt you soon start to feel the cold a lot more! I'm not sure how much a different fabric would have helped, but it's worth having that tool in your toolbox, as it were.

On shaving, I didn't shave much. I just ended up with the usual itchiness that you'd get anywhere and finally drives you to pick up a razor. One small thing to be aware of is that some albergues and hostals don't have plugs for the sink, so take your opportunities when they arise (or take your own plug!) if you like a nice basin of hot water.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you want to dispense with the pack cover, the rain jacket and poncho - buy an ALTUS backpack raincoat when you get to St Jean. You can even order one from Pierre at DirectionCompostelle and he will keep it for you.

Unlike wearing a weatherproof jacket under a backpack (which can steam up and get uncomfortable) it has a 'hunch-back' so that it covers you and the pack. It has a long zipper down the front so that if it gets hot you can unzip the coat and use just the velcro bits to keep it closed. If it stops raining, you can take your arms out of the sleeves and tie them around your waist with the pack still covered.
You can email Pierre and book one then collect it when you get to St Jean. directioncompostelle@orange.fr
Compostela Direction, 1 Place Floquet or Pilgrim's Boutique, 32 Rue de la Citadelle. http://www.directioncompostelle.com

Re: A few questions...synthetic shirts

I was able to buy wicking, synthetic shirts at Sierra Trading Post (http://www.sierratradingpost.com) for next to nothing, especailly when they have one of their nearly-weekly sales - one cost me all of $3.70. I use them at the gym and biking - they keep me cool, don't chafe, & wash and dry in a jiffy, unlike cotton. If you wash your synthetic shirt at night, it should be dry by morning - cotton doesn't do that.
Buen Camino,
Cris

Great questions...and good luck with your camino.

A jacket will see you through chilly times in a bar (both on the camino and elsewhere) better than a hunchback poncho.

Cotton is not ideal...but i for one prefer my old , faded tatty t shirts that are basically disposable.One silly tip if you want....when you get to Spain..buy a cheapo knock off football shirt...they dry quick!

Shaving is up to you....you could go to the barbers once every week or so and get a shave...hot towels...and a babies bottom finish....nothing like a good professional shave to make to feel fresh and clean in your smelly cotton T shirt and jacket

peace and love

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for all of that. Very useful!

Also, heading to Dublin post-Camino will be an interesting experience for you. You might get lucky weatherwise, alternatively you might not. Sounds a bit like what I've been advised to expect on the Camino!

Mark

mralisn said:
Hi Mark! Very good questions. From my point, very easily answered.

1. No. It seems you're good with both pack cover and rain jacket. If you feel you absolutely have to have one, buy one on the way. I'd bet you'll be just fine without.

2. I wouldn't bring cotton only because I have inexpensive synthetic material clothing, nothing "high end". The only items cotton I have are a tiny washcloth and my sarong(used for an incredible amount of purposes even for a guy like me). Shirts, socks, underwear, and shorts have no cotton. Maybe there is a cheap place to purchase a synthetic (quick-dry) shirt or two? You can still bring your Euro-Cup shirt for evening wear when not walking in the sun and/or when watching the matches, relaxing in the alburgues. Ha, beer stains instead of sweat stains! Anyway, having non-cotton shirt and underwear have been a great decision for me.

3. I shave only twice a week at most when at home. While traveling, I shave about every 8 days or so. My face gets itchy. I only "cleanup" every few days in between. I'm lucky because my shaving gear include the razor, regular soap, and hot water on a good day. Sometimes I can ask a fellow traveler for some foam in exchange for a beer.

I've been backpack traveling for years and this will be my third Camino in June. The above has worked for me quite well.

Funny I have no problems for this part of the trip. The "hard" part will be going to Dublin for 5 days after in only my Camino clothes!

Keep a smile,
Simeon

That sounds ideal. Thanks very much!

sillydoll said:
If you want to dispense with the pack cover, the rain jacket and poncho - buy an ALTUS backpack raincoat when you get to St Jean. You can even order one from Pierre at DirectionCompostelle and he will keep it for you.

Unlike wearing a weatherproof jacket under a backpack (which can steam up and get uncomfortable) it has a 'hunch-back' so that it covers you and the pack. It has a long zipper down the front so that if it gets hot you can unzip the coat and use just the velcro bits to keep it closed. If it stops raining, you can take your arms out of the sleeves and tie them around your waist with the pack still covered.
You can email Pierre and book one then collect it when you get to St Jean. directioncompostelle@orange.fr
Compostela Direction, 1 Place Floquet or Pilgrim's Boutique, 32 Rue de la Citadelle. http://www.directioncompostelle.com

na2than said:
Great questions...and good luck with your camino.

A jacket will see you through chilly times in a bar (both on the camino and elsewhere) better than a hunchback poncho.

Another really good point. Looks like there is no right or wrong way to approach this, just different options, all with their own pros and cons!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't think that is true. The hunchback of the Altus has snaps to eliminate it when not wearing a pack. It is warmer than my jacket. It is not particularly stylish, however. So it is a style thing to not wear it in a bar. Take the extra jacket and carry the weight; just know that it all is in your mind! :mrgreen:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back