• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few quick questions from a beginer

djoker

Hi there!

Ina few weeks we are going to walk part of the Camino Frances from Sarria. Yes, I know how some of you feel about people who only walk from Sarria, but a few of us only get one week of vaccation time.
I have a few quick beginner questions/doubts that I would like to ask and would be very grateful for answers.

1) Can I get the credential in Sarria when I get there? Should I order it online? How long does it take to arrive?
2) I am little worried about albergues. Given that it's tehe Camino Frances, the 100 last km, many people are walking it. Do I run the risk of not getting a place when I get to the albergues? How can i approach this? Everyyday you just arrive in the albergue and ask for a bed, right? (We are walking in the last week of April).

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm walking the full French Way in June/July (I'm a first timer). I have booked every stop from Sarria to Santiago as heard it does get busy. First time jitters? Yeah, probably, but wanted to make sure I have a bed for the night. Just my choice. I'm sure seasoned Camino'ers have better advice.

Hi Djoker and welcome!
No, we don't all feel like 'that' about people starting in Sarria! :) I always thought there were a lovely crowd and you're absolutely right, not everyone can take 4 or 5 weeks off.
This said, I hope others can help you re the Credential question. I would have thought the church or the albergue but I don't know for sure....
Same with the albergues, I always found room BUT I was walking it in August so I can't speak for an April Camino.... (Sorry, I just wanted to say Hello really and welcome).
Have a great time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last edited:
Hi there!

Ina few weeks we are going to walk part of the Camino Frances from Sarria. Yes, I know how you feel about people who only walk from Sarria, but a few of us only get one week of vaccation time.
I have a few quick beginner questions/doubts that I would like to ask and would be very grateful for answers.

1) Can I get the credential in Sarria when I get there? Should I order it online? How long does it take to arrive?
2) I am little worried about albergues. Given that it's tehe Camino Frances, the 100 last km, many people are walking it. Do I run the risk of not getting a place when I get to the albergues? How can i approach this? Everyyday you just arrive in the albergue and ask for a bed, right? (We are walking in the last week of April).

Thank you in advance.
Hi ,
Don’t think you will have a problem finding a place to sleep.
You can also check. www.gronze.com

Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

I'm walking the full French Way in June/July (I'm a first timer). I have booked every stop from Sarria to Santiago as heard it does get busy. First time jitters? Yeah, probably, but wanted to make sure I have a bed for the night. Just my choice. I'm sure seasoned Camino'ers have better advice.
How do you know what day you'll reach Sarria? I think that a better strategy would be to book a day or two ahead, after you know how far you can/like to walk each day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How do you know what day you'll reach Sarria? I think that a better strategy would be to book a day or two ahead, after you know how far you can/like to walk each day.
Good question. I'm on a tight time plan, and very stubborn with myself. I will make those dates no matter the pain I might be in. Just me again I'm afraid.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Good question. I'm on a tight time plan, and very stubborn with myself. I will make those dates no matter the pain I might be in. Just me again I'm afraid.
Totally get how you feel the need to plan, but do stay flexible in your mind. Sometimes our bodies don't cooperate with our minds desires. You may also make a Camino family that you wish to slinky along with. I like to have a reservation too, but have found that if I plan to many days that I am constantly changing them. The most disappointed pilgrims I have found are not those with injuries or who meet other obstacles, put those who put to many boundaries on their journey. Your gut will tell you what is right for you. Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Totally get how you feel the need to plan, but do stay flexible in your mind. Sometimes our bodies don't cooperate with our minds desires. You may also make a Camino family that you wish to slinky along with. I like to have a reservation too, but have found that if I plan to many days that I am constantly changing them. The most disappointed pilgrims I have found are not those with injuries or who meet other obstacles, put those who put to many boundaries on their journey. Your gut will tell you what is right for you. Buen Camino.
I will be free as a bird for most of the way, so long as I get to Cacabelos by the 25th June.

Gracias a todos!

One more question, will the places where we should stamp the credential look obvious? Or will we have to look for them?
Bars, church’s, Albergue’s..... even hotels have their own stamp. Just be sure you get two a day from Sarria to Santiago. You will get your final stamp in Santiago at the pilgrims office when you get your compostela.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi there!

Ina few weeks we are going to walk part of the Camino Frances from Sarria. Yes, I know how you feel about people who only walk from Sarria, but a few of us only get one week of vaccation time.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum; glad to have you here.

Assuming what our attitudes are like, about any pilgrim/pilgrimage, isn't a real warm and fuzzy way to introduce oneself, as it paints a somewhat negative picture of folks you haven't had a chance to meet. ;):)

1. You can do either. You can also order on from the American Pilgrims on the Camino (APOC) website, and it will arrive with your personal information already recorded on the inside of the Credencial.
http://www.americanpilgrims.org/credential-request

2. You can reserve a bed ahead of time or just arrive get a bed when you arrive at privately run albergues, or simply check in when you arrive at your destination at municipal or religious-run albergues. If no beds are available via an alburgue, there are rural casas, hostels, hostals, hotels, apartments, etc. You will not be stuck without a place to sleep :)

Buen Camino, and enjoy this time of preparation and anticipation.

Gracias a todos!

One more question, will the places where we should stamp the credential look obvious? Or will we have to look for them?

Ask at any church, cathedral, or public facility -- bar, hotel, restaurant, alburgue, store, etc. -- lot's of places have sellos and will gladly stamp your Credencial. Also, be sure to obtain two stamps per day during that last 100K for your Compostela certificate, if you wish to get one.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi there!

Let me tell you how I feel about people who walk from Sarria. After about 5 weeks Lynn and I got to Sarria. By this point we were grizzled veterans, kind of weary, perhaps even a little hardened. The people we met in Sarria and the following days renewed our energy with their excitement and hopefulness. It was like being back in Orrison that first night when it was new for everyone and we were all full of anticipation. You have the opportunity to recharge the emotional batteries of the long trekkers. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

You will get a stamp each night at the albergue or other accommodation. You can get additional stamps in churches, bars, etc. if you want. And you should get two per day from Sarria on.
Let me tell you how I feel about people who walk from Sarria. After about 5 weeks Lynn and I got to Sarria. By this point we were grizzled veterans, kind of weary, perhaps even a little hardened. The people we met in Sarria and the following days renewed our energy with their excitement and hopefulness. It was like being back in Orrison that first night when it was new for everyone and we were all full of anticipation. You have the opportunity to recharge the emotional batteries of the long trekkers.

I felt the same way! And it's kind of nice to be considered an "old pro" by the newbies. :)

Hi ,

Hi ,

this is the third time someone has mentioned ‘gronze ‘ when I look I cannot find English, and I am trying to learn Spanish , but a long way from being able to read it. Can anyone point me to an English tab?

this is the third time someone has mentioned ‘gronze ‘ when I look I cannot find English, and I am trying to learn Spanish , but a long way from being able to read it. Can anyone point me to an English tab?

Gronze does not have an English version. But it's quite a simple website: you choose your Camino route at the top and it will show you suggested stages. Once you click each stage, it will have a list of albergues/hostels/hotels.

The only difficult parts if you don't read Spanish is the description of the area, but the accomodation lists are already a big help :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you!
When I want to read it in English I will use Google Translate on my phone. It works automatically and translate every language in English.
Wish you well,Peter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I understand why you wrote that, Djoker. When I first started reading this site last year, I found disdainful comments about short-walkers and plastic pilgrims who prance the minimum distance in a few days instead of slogging over the mountains for weeks like a REAL pilgrim. But hang around here for a while and you'll learn that not everybody is striving to be holier than the Pope.

On the contrary, posters are genuinely interested in helping others to experience the Camino in whatever way it happens for you. I'm physically unable to walk long stages so I'm using Mark McCarthy's "Sarria to Santiago in Very Short Stages" posted in Resources. It'll take me three years to cover the distance a REAL pilgrim will walk in a week, and I'll spend a little more on private hotels than they spend on municipal albergues, but it's MY camino. As yours is YOUR camino. Make it a good one!

I honestly forgot how forums work. People misread whatever you say.
I have read multiple times and mutiple people complaining about "fake pilgrims" who only wak from Sarria because they want to Compostela. It is a reality. Those people exist, And I have read it on this forum as well. (I believe there is one thread dedicaded to that, but I could be wrong here. Either way, that is a feeling that has been expressed on this forum as well.)
I appologize for starting with that comment or even making it. I supposed I felt obliged to justify my choices because many people are bound to judge them.
Once again, I want to thank eveyone's insight and help.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi there!

Ina few weeks we are going to walk part of the Camino Frances from Sarria. Yes, I know how some of you feel about people who only walk from Sarria, but a few of us only get one week of vaccation time.

Thank you in advance.
Hello and Welcome!!!

After reading this thread, I did see an opportunity to offer some different advice, one for short walkers and the other for everyone.

1) If walking the entire CF, two credenciels may be of benefit to your memories. Credenciels are light and stamps cam be doubled. Get a sello, make a note, get an email address or phone number from someone you met there. And an extra one is only 2 euro.

2) There was a thread maybe a year and a half to two years ago talking about alternatives to the Sarria / SDC corridor, if it is considered a dilema. Some had talked about walking to Sarria and then take a cab or bus North to the Invierno Route, which is much quieter. I suppose anyone can do the same, as long as two sellos are acquired daily.

Hope this helps.

It is your Camino yours alone , what otters write or say is there business.
It doesn’t matter whitch distance you walk , you will be a Pilgrim .

Djoker , go for it .

I understand why you wrote that, Djoker. When I first started reading this site last year, I found disdainful comments about short-walkers and plastic pilgrims who prance the minimum distance in a few days instead of slogging over the mountains for weeks like a REAL pilgrim. But hang around here for a while and you'll learn that not everybody is striving to be holier than the Pope.

On the contrary, posters are genuinely interested in helping others to experience the Camino in whatever way it happens for you. I'm physically unable to walk long stages so I'm using Mark McCarthy's "Sarria to Santiago in Very Short Stages" posted in Resources. It'll take me three years to cover the distance a REAL pilgrim will walk in a week, and I'll spend a little more on private hotels than they spend on municipal albergues, but it's MY camino. As yours is YOUR camino. Make it a good one!

Nate, I'm glad you recognized that "not everybody" is putting "short-walkers" down and criticising them. I'd like to use your comment as a springboard to further amplify that thought for any newbies reading this thread.

Subjectively, after actively participating in this forum for over a year now, and having been a reader longer than that, I'd say that 99.8% of all forum posters here, and certainly those who actively and regularly contribute, are not of that mindset which disdains "short-walkers" whatsoever. In fact, I'll go even further and say that IF someone has been critical of what defines a pilgrim -- or who qualifies as a pilgrim -- based on carrying a pack, motivation to walk the Camino, needing to take transportation at some section of Camino, how far someone can walk the Camino at any one time, etc., then those very few times and few individuals have been confronted vigorously for their mistaken attitudes, and have defended and encouraged those wrongly deemed as not a "REAL" pilgrim.

The actual number of posts of that negative nature are relatively rare; more like a few drops of cold water in a full bath of warm; rather than a bathtub of cool water with only a few drops of hot. :)

The only real negative thing about Camino from Sarria to SdC that I have usually read has nothing to do with the pilgrims starting in that section, but about how crowded and busy that section can become due to the fact that it is one of the most popular starting points compared to elsewhere on Camino Frances. But then, that has more to do with the volume of pilgrims, not the pilgrims themselves.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi there!

Thank you in advance.
To answer your first question, I got a second credencial at the tourist office just as you walk into Sarria. So, if the albergue is not open for any reason when you arrive, try there.
To answer the second question, it is not so crowded at the end of April, beginning of May. You might try without reserving, and, if this becomes a problem, then book the night before. You will also have a better feel for where you are going to stop.

I have read multiple times and mutiple people complaining about "fake pilgrims" who only wak from Sarria because they want to Compostela. It is a reality. Those people exist, And I have read it on this forum as well.

Don’t worry about that. I admit different people have different ideas about how to do it, but that does not matter. A walk from Sarria is still a big effort, and if you dont have a lot of vacation time you are making a big commitment of what you DO have to take it on. Sarria is a great jumping off point because it has good transport connections and many places to stay. It is busier with more people, but there are also more places to stay and eat. It is one of the most scenic sections. In my opinion the increase in the number of people made it more exciting. I made lots of new friends on that segment. I look forward to taking my Grandson in a few years to walk that segment.

The pilgrimage is in your heart, not some set of rules. Walk. Enjoy. And get your Compostela.

Get a credential here:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...:0xd0c22746b4f44739!8m2!3d42.77743!4d-7.41433

Just across the street is a small bar on the corner - they have beds and you can get a simple meal and a nice beer.

Can I suggest, if you have an android device, you download the free copy of this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.moemke.android.mycamino&hl=en

In the app you have all the contact details available for every albergue on the Frances. The day before phone or email a booking request before you finish your days walk - don't expect an answer every time from the staff as they are busy when they are awake!

Have a great camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Gracias a todos!

Bars, restaurants and churches will all have a sello/stamp. You need two a day from Sarria. You will be fine AND it will be fun, just don’t push yourself too hard.

Hi there!

Thank you in advance.

Welcome, Joker. I started in Sarria and frankly didn't care if anyone thought less of me. I was there to enjoy myself and the experience. Honestly, I never met anyone who gave me a hard time about starting in Sarria. I think you'll enjoy the experience. Buen Camino!

Hi there!

Thank you in advance.

Hi Djoker

I too am to be a 1st time walker - mid May 2018 and have a slightly longer time than you so I will start either from Leon or Astorga.

1) If you are from the US, you can request your credential from http://www.americanpilgrims.com/camino/credential_req_external.html - As I did and they will send it to you for free. They prioritize sending out the credentials based on when you are leaving for your Camino instead of when you made your request. If you are within EU or the UK, you can request it from the confraternity of ST. James - https://www.csj.org.uk/planning-you...a-pilgrim-record-pilgrim-passport-credential/ .
2) I though of making reservations in each of my stop as this is what I am used to when traveling for business and vacation. But I thought, this is the Camino and getting into an albergue after your day’s walk is part of the experience. I was just reminded of this by Gregg in reply to my post. There would be another albergue if the 1st one is full -just a matter of finding it. Arming yourself with a list of albergue for each stop should help too.

Buen Camino.

Glend

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Djoker,
I have just come back from taking on group on pilgrimage from Sarria to Santiago and the albergues had plenty of space so you should be OK with not booking ahead up to the second half of June. If you want a list of recommended albergues just message me and I will send you a copy of our itinerary.
In terms of Credencials you can get in the the church of Santa Mariña, Rúa de Maior (open 11 am till 1 pm and 6 pm till 9 pm except Mondays when they are open 7 pm till 8 pm) or from the monastery of the Magdalena, Avenida de la Merced, 60 (open 10 am till 1 pm and from 4 pm till 7 pm) or from the Albergue Credencial. However, I always to prefer to get my credencials ahead of time so I order them from Ivar who runs this forum ( https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...passport-from-the-pilgrims-office-in-santiago ) as he posts them out the same day and they arrive within a few days.
In terms of collecting stamps you will see signs that say "sello" at virtually every cafe along the way so they easy to find except for the last day into Santiago.
The group I was with had a wonderful experience walking Sarria to Santiago and I wish you a truly Buen Camino.

Use google chrome to open and set to always translate.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.