• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Few Reservations

Jeff Johnston

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (2017)
I have been in the planning and learning stage here now for a couple months. Have been busy researching equipment and am actually purchasing items now, even though I am not planning to do my Camino until Sept 2017.

However, I am beginning to have a few reservations. I am not so much worrying about meeting my expectations (because up til now I had none). With the intense numbers of pilgrims currently (and not seeming to decrease in quantity) my new found expectations are somewhat frightening:

I am 72 currently (73 at Camino time). I do not travel fast; I love to "smell the roses"; I do not want to race for beds; I do not want to be constantly surrounded by scores of other pilgrims (desire some solitude); I cannot stand being in a que for ever. I cannot do a winter pilgrimage; at my age cold seems really cold.

I would like to meet others, walk with some for hours, move on or fall back, meet others again, etc. This is far more important to me than having constant hoards of folk who are too often in one another's way. I am far from being a wall flower and I do not dislike people. But, too much of anything can make it unpleasant rather than pleasant. I am social, but dislike the madness of masses.

I have read two blogs today where the blogger was leaving the CF after 6-8 days due to the crowding. And am reading numerous posts here about bed shortages, being full by 1400, etc.

Am I being too concerned with the large numbers situation? Should I consider other routes? Or,.......

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
One thing to consider is this year the Pope declared a Holy Year of Mercy. The numbers on the camino go up significantly (almost double) during Holy Years. You can expect the numbers to go down next year.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
For every instance in these threads where someone is dropping out because of numbers, you'll find others where the traffic isn't particularly bad. Once out on the trail, you walk at your own pace, and much of the time you'll find you're walking only in small groups or on your own if you wish. The "conga line" description is generally inaccurate, and if you find yourself caught in a crowd, you can usually let it slip by and then resume with greater solitude. There is/was a really large wave rolling down the CF due to a combination of holidays following Easter, but those following after that wave don't appear to be finding major issues, even when caught on the crest of smaller waves.

In the final stages leading up to Santiago, it can get crowded, but in 2013 we stayed in smaller villages and left about 30 minutes before the crowds, and we walked in peace almost all day each time. The day we arrived, over 2,000 also did, but we walked in near solitude that day because we deliberately shifted off the wave.

All of this is to say that, while you may shift to another route, you probably won't find the CF to be the disaster that some of the posts have described. September is still busy, but watch patiently for the May and June numbers to post. That will tell you whether these reports were a temporary "perfect storm" or the tip of a tsunami.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been in the planning and learning stage here now for a couple months. Have been busy researching equipment and am actually purchasing items now, even though I am not planning to do my Camino until Sept 2017.

However, I am beginning to have a few reservations. I am not so much worrying about meeting my expectations (because up til now I had none). With the intense numbers of pilgrims currently (and not seeming to decrease in quantity) my new found expectations are somewhat frightening:

I am 72 currently (73 at Camino time). I do not travel fast; I love to "smell the roses"; I do not want to race for beds; I do not want to be constantly surrounded by scores of other pilgrims (desire some solitude); I cannot stand being in a que for ever. I cannot do a winter pilgrimage; at my age cold seems really cold.

I would like to meet others, walk with some for hours, move on or fall back, meet others again, etc. This is far more important to me than having constant hoards of folk who are too often in one another's way. I am far from being a wall flower and I do not dislike people. But, too much of anything can make it unpleasant rather than pleasant. I am social, but dislike the madness of masses.

I have read two blogs today where the blogger was leaving the CF after 6-8 days due to the crowding. And am reading numerous posts here about bed shortages, being full by 1400, etc.

Am I being too concerned with the large numbers situation? Should I consider other routes? Or,.......

Buen Camino

Hi and greetings. Wow!! You sound like someone who knows yourself pretty well and that is admirable. I am 49 and hoping to embark on this journey next month in June and shares the same concerns as you so I'm sure it's not an "age" thing. It's not about being too particular but rather because we do recognize our strengths and weaknesses. The only setback is that we want to be "safe" within our ideals. That is almost impossible simply because we know well that everything external is beyond our control and we can almost see ourselves challenged within those areas that we know are not going to go well with our nature. I'm sure you are not reluctant to pull out if it's deemed not worth the attempt and divert the resources to something else more comforting. Yet that is not what you want to do otherwise this question won't surface.

But there's a way to turn this around. With a year under your belt, firstly, avoid the tendency to assume that you'll be worst off at 73 than you are at 72 now. Take what you know about yourself now and try to find some opportunities to be in those "undesirable" situations. Not so that you will change and desire them instead but rather to see if you can increase your treshold of tolerance to overcome the resistance. See how you cope with it. Spend time with people more and challenge yourself within the context. Maybe purposely choose places that has longer que's and try to practice patience while being uncomfortable. Try once in a while to rush for things. Maybe during Christmas seasons while shopping. In other words, see how you adapt but not fit. Then you will be in a better position to decide it you want to take the plunge or reconsider your options.

Cheers and Buen Camino!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only walked two weeks in Spain (more this autumn), but I've walked in France from Le Puy to the Pyrenees (more or less) twice. I'd say the Le Puy route would be prrfect for you. I've done both spring and fall and both times enjoyed a wonderful mix of socializing and isolation, new friends and re-encounters. More expensive than Spain but good value. Speaking some French makes it easier since it's less international than the main Spanish trek, but I think even without any French language ability it's worth considering.

Last edited:
One thing to consider is this year the Pope declared a Holy Year of Mercy. The numbers on the camino go up significantly (almost double) during Holy Years. You can expect the numbers to go down next year.

Do you think that's because people want to earn the plenary indulgence or, more touristically, just because they want to enter through the special door?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Do you think that's because people want to earn the plenary indulgence or, more touristically, just because they want to enter through the special door?

I really have no idea. If I had to guess it would be because calling it a holy year and adding a few extra celebrations to mark the holy year might be enough to give some people that gentle shove out the door and onto the camino.

Last September ,at age 71, we got back to Camino Frances after 16 years....after having walked many other Caminos , very often in complete solitude, we were worrying about the rumors you often hear about crowds,bed race, massification of the camino, etc,etc..... It was the first time for us to walk in september and we found it to be a great period, cool mornings, daily temperature in the 20/25 celsius and a reasonable number of pilgrims around you....not too many , and they could easily fit into the great number of albergues and other accomodations available now along the CF.
Some changes versus our previous CF walk are just fantastic for people of our age...aaccomodations are now available in all villages , allowing a greater flexibility on your stages, most of the albergues take reservations so you don't have to race , backpack carrying services will help you out in case of need ...
We'll be back again on CF this coming september .....
So , Jeff , don't worry and keep dreaming....
For any additional info feel free to send a PM
Ciao from Italy

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
What @C clearly said. September is still a very busy month. When all the kids are back at school everyone else starts their camino, so start as late into September as you can. October is a beautiful month to walk, not too hot, and too cold yet. Just the right number of pilgrims, so you can get into a social group if you want to, or just chill along by yourself. There is definitely no rush for beds in October; everyone’s usually meandering along in a very relaxed state of mind. And when I get to Sarria I usually walk in the afternoons to avoid the morning crowds that have just started. No problem with getting a bed between Sarria and Santiago at the end of Oct / beginning of Nov. A few places have closed up by then, but there are plenty of places still open. Jill

Thank you all for the uplifting and encouraging commentary. I am not dumping my plan. Might likely alter it from an early Sept to a late Sept start however.

Love this Forum!!
Buen Camino

As @koilife noted, May is full of holidays here in France (May day, then Ascension followed by Pentecost). So this (plus school holidays) might be a reason for an increase in pilgrims.
Thank you @C clearly for your comment about starting later in September, because of people walking after schools begin their new scholastic year - I'd not thought of that. I'm hoping to finally begin my postponed 2015 Camino in September this year, but will now look at starting in the second half of September. But this Camino will not be the same. I was looking forward to writing about it and having my mother take part as a virtual pilgrim tracking my path through my words and photos. But she suddenly died just three weeks ago. She will be with me in my heart but how I wish she could still be here.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
But this Camino will not be the same. I was looking forward to writing about it and having my mother take part as a virtual pilgrim tracking my path through my words and photos. But she suddenly died just three weeks ago. She will be with me in my heart but how I wish she could still be here.
Eternal rest grant unto her O Lord, and may perpetual light shine upon her.

If I remember correctly, seniors were treated very well on the Camino F. I saw younger people moving to top bunks in oder to make it one less thing that a senior needed to worry about. And, i remember one woman rolling into town late- after everything was full and a bed was found for her in a home. Seniors were treated with a lot of respect!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hope I qualify - 73 at start!

@Jeff Johnston:
I was only 67, a spring chicken from your point of view, when I walked my first camino last year. I never slept in a top bunk and all sorts of consideration was given to me. I got thoroughly sick of it. You will know what I mean after the first dozen or so people ask you how old you are and seem amazed that you can still put one foot in front of the other. It is nice to have those bottom bunks. But then, I stopped fairly early every day. The only advice that I would presume to give you, as more or less your contemporary, is to walk you own pace. You will have a wonderful time. Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back