• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few thoughts about half way through

Anne100

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte, Sept.-Nov. (2013)
1. The Spanish people are overall fantastic. Friendly, welcoming, warm, cheerful, supportive. They might think we're a little crazy for doing what we do but they are polite about it. :)

2. That alleged "hallowed respect" for peregrinos, though? Nah. Haven't seen it nor experienced it. Most people are busy with their own lives and frankly aren't all that concerned what yet another person with a backpack is up to in Spain, and there are lots of folks traveling with backpacks who aren't peregrinos.

3. This is not the Camino for you if you dislike steep ascents/descents or barking dogs.

4. Make sure you budget some time to spend on the incredible beaches. I-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e. And I say that as a native Angeleno.

5. The Spanish countryside is nothing short of gorgeous: beautiful and green, smart homes with neat gardens, cows, sheep, horses... I never tire of it. The weather has been nearly perfect, too. We've been lucky to have summer weather in September and even October.

6. Don't burn incense in the albergues. Please. Just don't do it. I know it smells bad in here sometimes. Take a shower, do laundry, leave your boots outside, wash your pack if you were clever enough to choose one that can be easily washed and dried... but don't burn incense.

7. Please don't hog the kitchen and its supplies. When you're in a group remember there might be others who would like to use a fork and a plate and maybe the stove while you're spending an hour preparing a grand meal for you and your ten friends.

8. Smoking isn't as bad as I expected but it is ubiquitous. A smoker has absolutely no qualms about blowing smoke right in your face as you're huffing yourself and your pack up a hill, either.

9. There's a still bigger air pollution problem I didn't see mentioned before I left for my Camino: artificial fragrance. This is a country that loooooves its perfume, cologne, scented laundry products, you name it. There was a particular fragrance so popular in Irun and Bilbao that I could taste it while walking down the streets. It was so strong I found myself rinsing my mouth out several times. Be forewarned if you're sensitive to things like that.

10. The Spanish are devoted to recycling but strangely indifferent to animal welfare. You need to be stoic if stray/feral dogs and cats in various stages of ill health, or animals chained and caged, or left exposed to the elements, sometimes without food or water, are distressing to you. It's unfortunately a common site.

11. Soda in a bar-restaurant will cost four or five times what it costs in a market. Same for a salad.

12. They really know how to do Mass in Asturias. Either that or I just happened to stumble upon some special services.

13. I would like to officially thank every Spanish teacher I ever had. Even a little Spanish goes a long way. They're really forgiving of any language mistakes so go ahead and give it a try, but don't be surprised if someone simply responds in English anyway. I have occasionally found excellent English speakers in some pretty out of the way places but don't expect it! I think this would be a more difficult adventure if you didn't know any Spanish at all. Not impossible, but more difficult.

14. I wish I had learned a little German before I left, even just the basics so I could exchange pleasantries with my fellow peregrinos who are German - I have met many. Plus, their guidebooks are way, way better than ours.

15. Even if you don't spend much time in the albergues make it a point to chat with a few other peregrinos now and then. The countless "where are you from/when did you start//where did you start/how far are you going/how much does your pack weigh" conversations get tedious but there are often interesting personalities waiting to reveal themselves behind them, and your fellow peregrinos can have useful news and scuttlebutt about things like closed or full albergues, bedbugs, upcoming not-to-be-missed sights and so on to share.

16. I love my tent and have used it many times. No regrets about bringing it or my stove.

17. This is a mop. Learn it, live it, love it:

449731354_356.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Awwwwwww missed you when you passed thru Bilbo. Would have liked to share a cup of coffee and loved to hear your thoughts about your Camino.

You´re almost there.:)

Buen Camino!

Great list! Thanks for sharing :) I'm hoping to walk the Norte this summer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing it :)

Great information, to the point and non judgmental! Most may not realize #9 is good information, thank you for it! won't stop me from my plan but I won't be caught off guard!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Spanish people are overall fantastic. Friendly, welcoming, warm, cheerful, supportive. They might think we're a little crazy for doing what we do but they are polite about it. :)

2. That alleged "hallowed respect" for peregrinos, though? Nah. Haven't seen it nor experienced it. Most people are busy with their own lives and frankly aren't all that concerned what yet another person with a backpack is up to in Spain, and there are lots of folks traveling with backpacks who aren't peregrinos.

3. This is not the Camino for you if you dislike steep ascents/descents or barking dogs.

4. Make sure you budget some time to spend on the incredible beaches. I-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e. And I say that as a native Angeleno.

5. The Spanish countryside is nothing short of gorgeous: beautiful and green, smart homes with neat gardens, cows, sheep, horses... I never tire of it. The weather has been nearly perfect, too. We've been lucky to have summer weather in September and even October.

6. Don't burn incense in the albergues. Please. Just don't do it. I know it smells bad in here sometimes. Take a shower, do laundry, leave your boots outside, wash your pack if you were clever enough to choose one that can be easily washed and dried... but don't burn incense.

7. Please don't hog the kitchen and its supplies. When you're in a group remember there might be others who would like to use a fork and a plate and maybe the stove while you're spending an hour preparing a grand meal for you and your ten friends.

8. Smoking isn't as bad as I expected but it is ubiquitous. A smoker has absolutely no qualms about blowing smoke right in your face as you're huffing yourself and your pack up a hill, either.

9. There's a still bigger air pollution problem I didn't see mentioned before I left for my Camino: artificial fragrance. This is a country that loooooves its perfume, cologne, scented laundry products, you name it. There was a particular fragrance so popular in Irun and Bilbao that I could taste it while walking down the streets. It was so strong I found myself rinsing my mouth out several times. Be forewarned if you're sensitive to things like that.

10. The Spanish are devoted to recycling but strangely indifferent to animal welfare. You need to be stoic if stray/feral dogs and cats in various stages of ill health, or animals chained and caged, or left exposed to the elements, sometimes without food or water, are distressing to you. It's unfortunately a common site.

11. Soda in a bar-restaurant will cost four or five times what it costs in a market. Same for a salad.

12. They really know how to do Mass in Asturias. Either that or I just happened to stumble upon some special services.

13. I would like to officially thank every Spanish teacher I ever had. Even a little Spanish goes a long way. They're really forgiving of any language mistakes so go ahead and give it a try, but don't be surprised if someone simply responds in English anyway. I have occasionally found excellent English speakers in some pretty out of the way places but don't expect it! I think this would be a more difficult adventure if you didn't know any Spanish at all. Not impossible, but more difficult.

14. I wish I had learned a little German before I left, even just the basics so I could exchange pleasantries with my fellow peregrinos who are German - I have met many. Plus, their guidebooks are way, way better than ours.

15. Even if you don't spend much time in the albergues make it a point to chat with a few other peregrinos now and then. The countless "where are you from/when did you start//where did you start/how far are you going/how much does your pack weigh" conversations get tedious but there are often interesting personalities waiting to reveal themselves behind them, and your fellow peregrinos can have useful news and scuttlebutt about things like closed or full albergues, bedbugs, upcoming not-to-be-missed sights and so on to share.

16. I love my tent and have used it many times. No regrets about bringing it or my stove.

17. This is a mop. Learn it, live it, love it:

449731354_356.jpg
I already know I'm going to have a hard time with # 10 :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I already know I'm going to have a hard time with # 10 :(

Yes, definitely. I know I did as well.
I caught some bullfighting on the TV a couple of times too, and was horrified.
I'll always root for the poor bull, though they don't stand a chance in that cowardly "sport".

If your doing the Frances dont worry about it, i love being on the Norte but it has a problem in certain areas in their empathy(lack off) towards the suffering of dogs. I had a incredible experience when i did my first camino on the Norte, but there was a jarring edge with sights i was seeing of dogs in cages, caked in their filth and a lot had obviously gone mad. There is blog out there by a Texan photographer who walked this camino in either 09 or 10 who has a photo album called the Dogs
of the Norte.
I feel very protective when other people post negative articles about this camino, but even the most rose tinted glasses couldnt hide what i was seeing. However it is not like it across the whole route just certain areas.

Mike

I had a incredible experience when i did my first camino on the Norte, but there was a jarring edge with sights i was seeing of dogs in cages, caked in their filth and a lot had obviously gone mad.

Oh my goodness!! I am horrified. Who could do such a thing? It would have broken my heart to see.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, definitely. I know I did as well.
I caught some bullfighting on the TV a couple of times too, and was horrified.
I'll always root for the poor bull, though they don't stand a chance in that cowardly "sport".

The Camino Primitivo is totally bullfighting free. In its 300 kms there aren't any bullfighting ring. Actually, most of Asturian and Galician people are completelly indiferent to this subject. Probably due to their celtic cultural heritage.

The bullfighting "fiesta" comes from a mixture between the mediterranean bull myth and the Roman Circus, that arrived in Spain with the Iberians. But, Asturias, Galicia and part of the current province of Leon remained apart from the iberian culture. That's why there is no bullfighting tradition in Galicia and Asturias.

What I try to do, when I see or experience something upsetting while traveling, is say some prayers for those affected and try to redirect that energy when I get home to improving things in my own country.

Deedum - if you are sensitive to things like that keep in mind some of the albergues, pensions, hotels, etc. are in older buildings that can have moisture/mold issues. That has kicked up my asthma a few times although I never had to leave any of them, one Benadryl tablet always took care of it. If I remember correctly Benadryl isn't available OTC in Spain (can someone confirm that?) so you'll need to bring your own.

Also, if you need to buy toiletries and you are sensitive to commercial fragrances look for a line called "Me." They are inexpensive and available everywhere. I tried several different deodorants and all gave me a rash except for the Me deodorant for sensitive skin, and I've been using their bath gel as shampoo and soap for about two weeks without any problems.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Anne,
What route are you taking off the Norte to Santiago?
We're going to walk the Norte in 2015, and are thinking about whether to go all Norte, Primitivo or Camino del Mar/Ingles.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
thinking about whether to go all Norte, Primitivo or Camino del Mar/Ingles./

When I did the Norte, I planned for both the Norte and the Primitivo and planned to decide when I got to Oviedo which one to do. That way I could do what I felt physically comfortable with and what I could cope with mentally. I had been swaying towards the Norte before I left, but switched to the Primitivo when I actually arrived. A truly beautiful way. Janet.

Not sure why this is all a quote - couldn't figure out how to change it!

Argh... I have so many bones to pick with that book...but that's another thread!

I found it to be very helpful, though I always supplemented it with info from gronze.com and when possible, German friends with German guidebooks :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Miss you Anne!...Glad you told me about the animals. I know I will have an exceptionally hard time with that. sighs. And thanks for the tent comment!

I flipped a coin a few kms after Villaviacosa when the camino split. Ended up staying on the Norte. Met a few people near Boimorto who had taken the primitive and said it was fantastic.
In defence of the guidebook, I liked the maps. Couldn't fault it.A guidebook was far more necessary on the Norte than on the Frances. Also found that some local advice helped a great deal regarding the next day's walk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What? I've got to take a mop and bucket? **Googles trekking mops**

I must say although I find the prospect of hoards of peregrinos racing for beds, incensed or otherwise, slightly offputting, one of the main attractions is the opportunity to meet interesting people from far away places. Thanks for the tips.

I enjoyed these observations. Just wondering, Anne, whether you have any more thoughts -- now that you must be at the "end point" rather than the "halfway point." Did you stay on the Norte or take the Primitivo?
Yes, enjoyed this to date, interested in journeys end reflection.
Adrian 961 , be put off. Seek and ye shall find many more posts balancing the bed race , bed bugs, Caminogeddon with the positive, joyous, Caminoheaven !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back