• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few tips for new pilgrims

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
For new pilgrims:

I read so many post from unsecure new pilgrims on this forum, and would like to assure you about a few points. Many believe there are so many problems connected withg getting there, doing it. and ending it. The fact is that it is very easy. You just have to determine:

1. Where do I want to start?
  2. How do I get there?

As for 1), start where you want. If you want a Compostella, start from a place where you can walk to SdC (Santiago d Compostella) in your given time. Not more difficult.

As for 2), get a plane to nearest big city, and take local trains/buses along. It is really not difficult. Use some money on a taxi if needed. Go f.ex. to Pamplona and seek out http://www.corazonpuro.es/ if you desperately need to start in SJPdP (Sant Jean Pied de Port): They will do all you cannot. But you can start where you want. I start in Burgos in 3 weeks, f.ex.

If, by accident, you miss a train/bus, it means just another day. Nothing more. No disaster. Enjoy the locals.

If you feel like in trouble,especially while on the Camino, here are some general rules:
  • You are not alone. There are pilgrims all around, and most of them will do anything in their power to help you if problems arise. Think about it: do bad people set out on a pilgrimage?
  • Do not stress. You travel to your destination, and then you walk, eat and sleep. It is that easy.
  • Be prepared for change: Do not book days in advance: Yoiu may need a rest day or two (hurt feet etc.), or you may, as I have been here, attracted to some intermediate action. Look at Varivani's post about: Because of that I have slightly changed my plans.
  • Do not book a return ticket: You may want to stay longer, or, you may want to go home earlier, if the Camino doesn't suit you.
If you have time constraints, simply plan accordingly. If not, enjoy your freedom.

Remember one very important factor that you may laugh at right now: The Camino will change you. You risk changing your plans dramatically, and change many things in your life. This is a fact that many oldtimers can attest to. You may set out for a cheap walk, and end up as a very different being. I hope so for you, but we'll see. So be prepared for a change in your life, and hence, your plans.

Learn a little Spanish: Know how to say Thank you (Muchas gracias), can I have a beer (una cerveza, por favor), Is there a bed here (una cama aki, por favor), etc. Be polite and respect the country and people you are visiting. Always be polite and say please (por favor).

Remember the saying: "The Camino will give you what you need, not neccessarily what you want".

Just a few tips for newbies.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Great suggestions and solutions... but as you already know (I believe) your post will sink somewhere deep down into the muddy waters of this forum because there are so many "lazy pilgrims-to-be" which want to get ALL & RIGHT NOW.

Many times I feel like Search function doesn't work. I even remember post (first ever post of that person!!!) like: "I plan to walk CF in 2017. Where do I start it?". Without "Hello", "thank you" etc. I've mentioned that as the poster no.2 and 5 minutes later my post was deleted without any explanation.

Alex, just go, forget about that and enjoy YOUR Camino ;)

Last edited:
Thank you Alex for your helpful advice to new forum members. When many new members join this forum they are not a aware of the workings of the forum and ask questions which may have been asked many times before, and as our motto is "where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn", it is better to welcome them and answer their often asked questions rather than to tell them to use the search function IMO. If one becomes jaded from answering these questions maybe its time to take a break.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For new pilgrims:

I read so many post from unsecure new pilgrims on this forum, and would like to assure you about a few points. Many believe there are so many problems connected withg getting there, doing it. and ending it. The fact is that it is very easy. You just have to determine:

2. How do I get there?

As for 1), start where you want. If you want a Compostella, start from a place where you can walk to SdC (Santiago d Compostella) in your given time. Not more difficult.

As for 2), get a plane to nearest big city, and take local trains/buses along. It is really not difficult. Use some money on a taxi if needed. Go f.ex. to Pamplona and seek out http://www.corazonpuro.es/ if you desperately need to start in SJPdP (Sant Jean Pied de Port): They will do all you cannot. But you can start where you want. I start in Burgos in 3 weeks, f.ex.

If, by accident, you miss a train/bus, it means just another day. Nothing more. No disaster. Enjoy the locals.

If you feel like in trouble,especially while on the Camino, here are some general rules:
  • You are not alone. There are pilgrims all around, and most of them will do anything in their power to help you if problems arise. Think about it: do bad people set out on a pilgrimage?
  • Do not stress. You travel to your destination, and then you walk, eat and sleep. It is that easy.
  • Be prepared for change: Do not book days in advance: Yoiu may need a rest day or two (hurt feet etc.), or you may, as I have been here, attracted to some intermediate action. Look at Varivani's post about: Because of that I have slightly changed my plans.
  • Do not book a return ticket: You may want to stay longer, or, you may want to go home earlier, if the Camino doesn't suit you.
If you have time constraints, simply plan accordingly. If not, enjoy your freedom.

Remember one very important factor that you may laugh at right now: The Camino will change you. You risk changing your plans dramatically, and change many things in your life. This is a fact that many oldtimers can attest to. You may set out for a cheap walk, and end up as a very different being. I hope so for you, but we'll see. So be prepared for a change in your life, and hence, your plans.

Learn a little Spanish: Know how to say Thank you (Muchas gracias), can I have a beer (una cerveza, por favor), Is there a bed here (una cama aki, por favor), etc. Be polite and respect the country and people you are visiting. Always be polite and say please (por favor).

Remember the saying: "The Camino will give you what you need, not neccessarily what you want".

Muchas gracias alexwalker.. I am coming from Canada via a few detours.. and just as you said, so what, stay another day.. I know I am blessed to have time for just that.. and in spite of a certain fear to begin this trip into the unknown and on my own, my excitement to begin now can't be contained. buen camino

Great suggestions and solutions... but as you already know (I believe) your post will sink somewhere deep down into the muddy waters of this forum because there are so many "lazy pilgrims-to-be" which want to get ALL & RIGHT NOW.

Many times I feel like Search function doesn't work. I even remember post (first ever post of that person!!!) like: "I plan to walk CF in 2017. Where do I start it?". Without "Hello", "thank you" etc. I've mentioned that as the poster no.2 and 5 minutes later my post was deleted without any explanation.

Alex, just go, forget about that and enjoy YOUR Camino ;)

Hi? :) ...Mmm was just guilty of that mistake .. starting without a greeting.... I have amended it :)..... I write documents at work ..... direct and to the point has become a habit :)

Thanks for everyones input

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi? :) ...Mmm was just guilty of that mistake .. starting without a greeting.... I have amended it :)..... I write documents at work ..... direct and to the point has become a habit :)

Thanks for everyones input
AHAHAHA, Wasn't you Annie and it doesn't really matter who it was ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Too funny. At work I always catch myself getting to the point, and then remembering to add a greeting of some sorts.

But really, nothing on the forum will give you the basic info you need as a guide book. Buy a book, study it, and then ask fill in the blank questions here, or "expanded" questions. Lots of that info here, very useful. For example, learned about Corazon Puro here, or flying into Biarritz on the forum. Yet I made it to SJPP like a big girl without the forum's tips.

This being said, the anxiety in planning is an integral part of the Camino for me. Even after 5 Caminos my mind melts down when I start planning, and that is even if I rationnally know planning doesn't do much. Well... I'm a slow walker, I don't do 25kms back to back, in fact I prefer 20-23. So that does require planning, and the spreadsheet come out! I actually think I enjoy the planning more than the day after day, after day, walking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Alex for your helpful advice to new forum members. When many new members join this forum they are not a aware of the workings of the forum and ask questions which may have been asked many times before and as our motto says "where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn" it is better to welcome them and answer their often asked questions than to tell them to use the search function IMO. If one becomes jaded from answering these questions maybe it time to take a break.

Hear hear Wayfarer.

So yes thanks Alex.

Especially the part about the start. It still amazes me how many people go into trouble reaching Saint Jean whereas other cities in Spain are so much easy to reach ( although I must admit that for me living in Europe the travelling is cheaper so I can return whereas some others will only make a Camino once ).

Can I add some more personal views?

And about learning a bit of basic Spanish : Also try to give back to the local spanish community. By buying in the local tiendas and when using the facillities in a bar always drink or eat something from that café.

If your funds can manage it : go into a restaurant and instead of asking for the menu del peregrino ask for the somewhat ( not much ) more expensive menu del dia. You will not be sorry.

Do not overplan indeed and stop in a small village : quite possible you well have a lovely talk with one of the older people sitting on a bench . Or you will not meet anyone there and you will be bored and or afraid but that is also a valuable thing to experience ( was for me anyway :) ).

Smile to the mailman, the guy who sweeps the streets , basically everyone who goes on with their jobs in Spain while we have the priviledge of walking in that gorgeous country. Smile also to yourself for that matter!

One of my pet peeves : it is not El Camino but the Camino Frances or the Camino del Norte or one of the many hundreds other Caminos .

A pilgrim taking a bus , taxi or other motorised vehicule might have a very valuable reason to do so. If not that is ok too.
On my first Camino, the Frances in 2011 , I too was so sure to never take a bus. Until that moment I had a minor ailment and took the bus from Mansilla de las Mulas to Leon. Yes indeed eyeopener for me ;).

And oh finally : just enjoy and use all of your senses. Trust your instincts when needed. Take care of your feet and your soul.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For new pilgrims:

2. How do I get there?

Thanks Alex, your tips to this newbie walker have eased some of my anxieties about traveling from Oz to start 'my Way' next May and relaxing into however long it takes me to finish in Fisterra at o.00 km.

Remember that your guide book is ONLY a guide. You do NOT have to walk the exact route shown in the book. Quickly learned that there are hills that do NOT need to be climbed as there are easy alternate routs. Same with going downhill on rough slippery rocks vs walking the dry nearby road to bottom of hill. It is an intelligence test , not a hike.

Do NOT worry about weight--you are much stronger than you think. My novia always regretted not carrying a hair dryer and a BIG plush towel. If it makes you comfortable, it weights nothing at all. When we arrived in Santiago, we were sitting in a large group of about 20 people, drinking wine and all of us talking about the items we wished we had brought instead of worrying about their weight. Loved the two Italian women who carried large stuffed animals tied to their backpacks just because they liked them to sleep with.

Best tip--take an "S" hook to hang your stuff in shower. Many showers do not have any hooks to hold your stuff.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Great post, thanks.

Also

Why the bad vibes with newbies (and others) not using the 'Search' option? As I see it, this is a (useful) tool for the forum, not a compulsory action. Not all pilgrims are comfortable with or know how to use (with ease) internet platforms, others may just rather reach out and engage with other humans, even if it's a question that's been answered 100 times already. And yes, some are even lazy, God bless them.

Buen Camino to all

Great post, thanks.

Also

Why the bad vibes with newbies (and others) not using the 'Search' option? As I see it, this is a (useful) tool for the forum, not a compulsory action. Not all pilgrims are comfortable with or know how to use (with ease) internet platforms, others may just rather reach out and engage with other humans, even if it's a question that's been answered 100 times already. And yes, some are even lazy, God bless them.

Buen Camino to all
@jefferyonthecamino
And of course there may still be a few Neanderthals like myself who resisted extensive internet use until an irresistible call to the camino made it necessary.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am starting
For new pilgrims:

2. How do I get there?

Tuesday I leave from Lourdes for my first pilgrimage. I was robbed in the Barcelona train station (no violence) lost a day getting my passport replaced, then the train was an hour late to Lourdes. End result? I stepped of the train in Lourdes 61 years from the moment and on the very same day of the week of my birth, and Lourdes has always had great personal significance for me. Coincidence perhaps, certainly not planned. But for me, the walk is about being open to every moment as the present moment is all we have. Then maybe I can receive openly whatever comes.

Hello,

I will soon be embarking on my first Camino (Sept 8). I'm trying not to over think/plan. But, I have a few questions still:

1) I arrive in Biarritz: will it be best to make my way to Bayonne (via a bus/taxi) and then take a train to St. Jean?

2) I've attempted to make reservations at a few albergues: no availability. Should I continue on with my attempts to make reservations? Or trust there will be something available upon arriving?

Best,
Lisa

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For new pilgrims:
Good advice. The only item I think may be questionable, especially for those whose journey to Spain involves a trans-oceanic flight, is the point quoted above. Unless one happens to be well-off financially or has a gazillion frequent flier miles, the cost of two one-way tickets, or even a two-way ticket with an open return can be prohibitive for the average pilgrim. It's not as simple as jumping on a Ryan Air flight on short notice to get home. That said, however, there certainly is wisdom in extending your return flight a least a few days or perhaps a week or more beyond your anticipated "completion" date for your Camino and doing some sight-seeing / touring around Spain or the surrounding countries.

2) I've attempted to make reservations at a few albergues: no availability. Should I continue on with my attempts to make reservations? Or trust there will be something available upon arriving?

When you arrive at SJPdP the pilgrim office there will direct you towards a bed ;-)
If you want to stay at Orrisson you need to reserve (and they take their time to answer requests).

From there on, just go with the flow and Buen Camino, SY

Good advice. The only item I think may be questionable, especially for those whose journey to Spain involves a trans-oceanic flight, is the point quoted above. Unless one happens to be well-off financially or has a gazillion frequent flier miles, the cost of two one-way tickets, or even a two-way ticket with an open return can be prohibitive for the average pilgrim. It's not as simple as jumping on a Ryan Air flight on short notice to get home. That said, however, there certainly is wisdom in extending your return flight a least a few days or perhaps a week or more beyond your anticipated "completion" date for your Camino and doing some sight-seeing / touring around Spain or the surrounding countries.
Of course, that is a valid point.We are maybe more blessed with low-cost airways in Europe: My upcoming flight in 3 weeks from now costs me ca. 160 Euros one way (Northern Norway-Madrid, changing planes in Oslo & Gatwick). When I want to return, I simply book return flight online, take a train to desired city (Normally Madrid/Barcelona, stay one night in some hostal, and fly home next day. This company has recently started to operate in Asia & the Americas and recently booked 230 (!) new planes from Boeing; check it out:

www.norwegian.com

Examples: Daily flights from Los Angeles to Madrid in Sept. All prices in USD:

http://www.norwegian.com/us/booking...y=01&R_Day=01&R_Month=201609&CurrencyCode=USD

Return in Oct._

http://www.norwegian.com/us/booking...y=14&R_Day=14&R_Month=201608&CurrencyCode=USD

Daily flights from NY to Madrid in Sept.:

http://www.norwegian.com/us/booking...y=14&R_Day=14&R_Month=201608&CurrencyCode=USD

Return in Oct.:

San Francisco-Barcelona in Sept.:

Return in Oct.;

You can also travel from Fort Lauderdale/Miami/Orlando and one more destination (Not sure where). Similar prices. Very reliable Norw. company, aiming to be the world's no.1 in low-cost.

Just for the fun of it: Bangkok-Madrid in sept (also in USD):

Not too bad. Should make it possible for many Americans to get cheap flights to and from Spain :)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Of course, that is a valid point.We are maybe more blessed with low-cost airways in Europe: My upcoming flight in 3 weeks from now costs me ca. 160 Euros one way (Northern Norway-Madrid, changing planes in Oslo & Gatwick). When I want to return, I simply book return flight online, take a train to desired city (Normally Madrid/Barcelona, stay one night in some hostal, and fly home next day. This company has recently started to operate in Asia & the Americas and recently booked 230 (!) new planes from Boeing; check it out:

www.norwegian.com

Examples: Daily flights from Los Angeles to Madrid in Sept. All prices in USD:

http://www.norwegian.com/us/booking...y=01&R_Day=01&R_Month=201609&CurrencyCode=USD

Return in Oct._

Daily flights from NY to Madrid in Sept.:

Return in Oct.:

San Francisco-Barcelona in Sept.:

Return in Oct.;

You can also travel from Fort Lauderdale/Miami/Orlando and one more destination (Not sure where). Similar prices. Very reliable Norw. company, aiming to be the world's no.1 in low-cost.

Just for the fun of it: Bangkok-Madrid in sept (also in USD):

Not too bad. Should make it possible for many Americans to get cheap flights to and from Spain :)
Hi, great info but....Not so cheap (or easy) back home to Australia and at the last minute, even more expensive.

Hi, great info but....Not so cheap (or easy) back home to Australia and at the last minute, even more expensive.
Tha Asian network is under development, and the way they expand, I would be surprised if Sydney is not a fast upcoming destination...;):)

As for last minute, at 09AM in my hoteI in Barcelona, I was able last year to book a plane that took me to my hometown in Northern Norway the same evening for 90 Euros...

Tha Asian network is under development, and the way they expand, I would be surprised if Sydney is not a fast upcoming destination...;):)

As for last minute, at 09AM in my hoteI in Barcelona, I was able last year to book a plane that took me to my hometown in Northern Norway the same evening for 90 Euros...
Hi Alexwalker, my confusion.....I meant expensive if buying a ticket last minute home to Australia. You also need to get back to a particular Spanish city (or London) for a more direct (shorter time) route, or go a round-about way. On my return from SdC last October, with a booked return flight from Madrid to Brisbane Australia many months beforehand, the airline made a last minute change which highlights what I'm trying to say. A train to Madrid was also prebooked so couldn't be cheaply changed, and get to London for a better option.
The flight was changed by them, to include a second airline ...Lufthansa to Frankfurt. Then a change to their airline to Bangkok for a 22hour stopover to Sydney to a connection flight to Brisbane. A very long trip home and this was the airline's change because they no longer had the more direct flight from Madrid. Because some in our group had work commitments, arrangements were prebooked as they couldn't take any more time off work. And that's also a bit of our reality living so far from the northern hemisphere (there are good points too though) but a part of the reason why, when still working, certain plans need to be made. Once you actually start the Camino, the rest of the 'planning' is easy....just experience it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
  • Be prepared for change: Do not book days in advance: You may need a rest day or two (hurt feet etc.), or you may, as I have been here, attracted to some intermediate action. Look at Varivani's post about: Because of that I have slightly changed my plans.
Very sorry to hear about your mishap. See my initial post, quoted above. Of course, you traveling across more or less the half world, must calculate in more factors.

And that more or less concludes my comments on fixed returns: So much can happen.. But I hope some of you have found an airline that can bring you to (and from) the Camino in an affordable way.

Hello,

I will soon be embarking on my first Camino (Sept 8). I'm trying not to over think/plan. But, I have a few questions still:

1) I arrive in Biarritz: will it be best to make my way to Bayonne (via a bus/taxi) and then take a train to St. Jean?

Best,
Lisa

Chronoplus bus #14 from Biarritz (Anglet) Airport to Gare Bayonne. Bus takes about 40 minutes and goes roughly every half hour.

SNCF train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

If you are short of time try taxi (or Chronoplus bus C) to Gare Biarritz and catch SNCF train from Biarritz to Bayonne. Allow at least 15 minutes. The 1745 arrives at 1755 with enough time to catch the last train 1806 to SJPdP.

• You are not alone. There are pilgrims all around, and most of them will do anything in their power to help you if problems arise. Think about it: do bad people set out on a pilgrimage-
I once had to help a young girl who had lost everything (stolen, by her own negligence) with 20 Euros in order for her to call come and get help from her parents. She got help and I never got paid back. Fine with me. But that is the kind of help you can expect to get on the Camino: There are so many friendly and caring people out there. Do not be afraid.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
About travel: You cannot expect everything to go flawless. Calculate the odd extra day, make the most of it, and enjoy life. You are in a foreign land: Learn about it. But I am done about costs and warnings for now: There are good options and I have shown you some. :)

Also, as I stated earlier, USE your time. If you simply want to walk fast from A to B, so be it. But the Camino is very much more: A pause from your ordinary life, tranquility, reflections, and maybe a lifechanger. Cherish it, and have no hurry.

I have seen so many people rushing the Camino. I have seen so many of them (young people) left behind of me, this old guy, bc of blister/leg problems, because they were in such a hurry to finish their Camino. More young than old people, actually. Strange. And I have seen so many pilgrims crying in the plaza in front of the Cathedral in SdC, when they suddenly understood that this was their ending. And they had been running towards it, not giving themselves the time to do the walk. They ran. The Way was over, and they had changed, of which they laughed about at the start, and now didn't want it to stop. But of course it must stop. Why is this?

Because of time. I understand people who only can do 5 days, 1 week, or 2 weeks on the Camino. It is understandable, due to job demands and lack of free time. But, sorry to say, it is not enough. And bear in mind here, the following is my personal opinion only:

My experience is that you spend your first week challenging your physical abilities: If you walk too far/hard, you WILL develop blisters/problems: They can easily stop your Camino right there and then. I have seen this.

The second week, you are more into walking, you have toughened, amazingly, and you feel well.
mere

The third week, you are into "Zen mode": Nothing matters and you are very aware, sensitive, and spiritual. From then on, life on the Camino is much better. You can also consider yourself a veteran :)

The Camino is a great healer of many things, but it needs its time. Give it time and you will benefit.

Just my humble thoughts.

Last edited:
Well said, I envy the flights & time you have made to return, for those who can't return for awhile I will say be patient if all one can do is 1 Camino we are still blessed to have had the opportunity. How many have you met since returning home that may never have this blessing? None of us know our physical future.

Alex & others who share your stories some of us appreciate it more than you know.
Keith

About travel: You cannot expect everything to go flawless. Calculate the odd extra day, make the most of it, and enjoy life. You are in a foreign land: Learn about it. But I am done about costs and warnings for now: There are good options and I have shown you some. :)

Also, as I stated earlier, USE your time. If you simply want to walk fast from A to B, so be it. But the Camino is very much more: A pause from your ordinary life, tranquility, reflections, and maybe a lifechanger. Cherish it, and have no hurry.

I have seen so many people rushing the Camino. I have seen so many of them (young people) left behind of me, this old guy, bc of blister/leg problems, because they were in such a hurry to finish their Camino. More young than old people, actually. Strange. And I have seen so many pilgrims crying in the plaza in front of the Cathedral in SdC, when they suddenly understood that this was their ending. And they had been running towards it, not giving themselves the time to do the walk. They ran. The Way was over, and they had changed, of which they laughed about at the start, and now didn't want it to stop. But of course it must stop. Why is this?

Because of time. I understand people who only can do 5 days, 1 week, or 2 weeks on the Camino. It is understandable, due to job demands and lack of free time. But, sorry to say, it is not enough. And bear in mind here, the following is my personal opinion only:

My experience is that you spend your first week challenging your physical abilities: If you walk too far/hard, you WILL develop blisters/problems: They can easily stop your Camino right there and then. I have seen this.

The second week, you are more into walking, you have toughened, amazingly, and you feel well.
mere

The third week, you are into "Zen mode": Nothing matters and you are very aware, sensitive, and spiritual. From then on, life on the Camino is much better. You can also consider yourself a veteran :)

The Camino is a great healer of many things, but it needs its time. Give it time and you will benefit.

Just my humble thoughts.
Wise Words Alex.....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When you arrive at SJPdP the pilgrim office there will direct you towards a bed ;-)
If you want to stay at Orrisson you need to reserve (and they take their time to answer requests).

From there on, just go with the flow and Buen Camino, SY
I have tried repeatedly to contact them but the web address doesn't work. Any suggestions?
www.refuge-orisson.com/en/

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Of course, that is a valid point... This company has recently started to operate in Asia & the Americas...check it out:
Yes, those prices look good, especially if they are based on one-way fares each way; i.e., not based on being one-half of a two-way fare. However, unless a person lives in one of the cities not directly served by Norwegian, the price could increase substantially when including the additional cost from one's home town.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, those prices look good, especially if they are based on one-way fares each way; i.e., not based on being one-half of a two-way fare.
All prices are pure one-way.

However, unless a person lives in one of the cities not directly served by Norwegian, the price could increase substantially when including the additional cost from one's home town.
Yes, being a pilgrim involves some movement and hardship.;).

All prices are pure one-way.
Thanks, that's what I thought, but just wanted to confirm.

Yes, being a pilgrim involves some movement and hardship.;).
So true, but if was easy, everyone would do it -- sometimes in the last 100 km is looks like everyone IS doing it :D

Two website can give the answer to many questions.

The German railways have a website where you can find all passenger trains running in Europe, including destination Saint-Jean-Pied-le-Port.

https://www.bahn.de/p/view/index.shtml

The buses running between main Spanish cities, you can find here.

https://www.alsa.es/

Public transport in Europe is so much better than in de US.

For new pilgrims:

2. How do I get there?

Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello, I don't usually comment because I am a "newbie" and all of my questions have been answered by this and other forums/books, etc. ( I think because well, I don't know what I don't know) I wanted to comment on this thread because I am very appreciative for all the advice and different points of view. I was able to book my flight from San Diego, CA to Madrid and train to Pamplona where I have arraigned to be picked up by Istvan and taken to Corozon Puro. The next day he will transport me to SJDPP where I have reserved a bed at Beilari and then start my Camino on Sept. 10th! I have also reserved a bed at the Refuge Orisson and one in Burguette, from there on I'm on my own! I have read that too much planning might not be a good idea, but at the same time I was concerned that this was going to be a very busy Camino France's year. I leave in about 15 days for Madrid and I have packed and repacked my backpack 100 times! Is this normal? ;) Thanks again for all your wisdom! Trudi

I once had to help a young girl who had lost everything (stolen, by her own negligence) with 20 Euros in order for her to call come and get help from her parents. She got help and I never got paid back. Fine with me. But that is the kind of help you can expect to get on the Camino: There are so many friendly and caring people out there. Do not be afraid.

While I don't necessarily agree with the "there are no bad pilgrims" idea, I do agree that most pilgrims will go out of their way to be helpful. As will many locals.

A few examples from my Camino on the Primitvo:

- on two separate occasions, a stranger offered me water while I was walking
- a local asked whether I had food (when I was staying in a remote location with no restaurants or stores), and said if I didn't, he would get me some from his house (I did bring food, since I had read about that location in advance, but his offer still touched my heart!) In that same town, another local woman offered free/donation breakfasts to pilgrims in her home and garden, for the same reason.
- a woman I had met and travelled with on the trail ended up locked out from her bank account (this had happened to my mother in the past, while traveling overseas), and I gave her 50€, no expectation of return.
- she, in turn, met a man with no money or pack, trying to get home, and all the pilgrims at the albergue, including her, pooled some money, food, and water for him.
- I saw an albergue owner in San Roman da Ratorta volunteer to drive back to a Lugo hotel for a couple who missed getting their sello there on their first day, not realizing how critical it was for their Compostela.
- Five separate times, local people called out to me when I missed a turnoff, and pointed me in the right direction.
- a male pilgrim picked up my (clean! Lol) laundry that had accidentally dropped off my pack onto the trail, and returned it to me. The same happened to a friend's earbuds, and travel book (two separate occasions).
- a friend had bad blisters, and a stranger gave her bandages
- one pilgrim knew he snored, and handed out earplugs to others in the albergue
- a friend got coveted in ticks, and a stranger Gabe her a ride to the doctor's
- two separate times, various pilgrims volunteered to go out on a search for single pilgrims who didn't show up when they were expected to (in both cases, the ladies in question were fine, just moving slower than expected).

So many examples of kindnesses... I'm sure every pilgrim has their own examples!!

Buen Camino!

For new pilgrims:

2. How do I get there?

This is an amazing post - thank you for sharing :)

Thank you Alex for your helpful advice to new forum members. When many new members join this forum they are not a aware of the workings of the forum and ask questions which may have been asked many times before, and as our motto is "where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn", it is better to welcome them and answer their often asked questions rather than to tell them to use the search function IMO. If one becomes jaded from answering these questions maybe its time to take a break.
I for one would like to thank all for the endless answers to our endless questions.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good Morning,
I didn't discover this forum until after my first Camino and to be quite honest I am glad. The excitement experienced while planning that Camino without having all my questions answered added greatly to the anticipation and wonder about the experience to come despite my OCD.
My point being once you decide to go and figure out how to get there the rest will happen according to the strength of your will and not according to the amount of knowledge you accumulate beforehand.
I have now completed 7 Camino's and my planning process consists of determining my time frame adding a week and booking return flights. Perhaps it is worth mentioning that at this point familiarity makes this very do-able. I still have that "anticipatory anxiety" especially when doing a new route or diverting to alternatives.
Full disclosure...I am retired and live in Canada.

However you choose to make use of this forum you will find no better teachers than the ones who exist here.

May you Camino be everything you hope it will

Best regards

[QUOTE="Trudi, post: I have packed and repacked my backpack 100 times! Is this normal? ;) Thanks again for all your wisdom! Trudi[/QUOTE]

As my planning, shopping, packing just started - I as well have packed and repacked 100 times. One thing won't work, the second thing is better but weighs too much. Zip Lock bags are wonderful :) The learning, planning and packing have been great fun. (I dislike shopping) Next is the walking at home and then walking with the pack at home.

Hear hear Wayfarer.

So yes thanks Alex.

Especially the part about the start. It still amazes me how many people go into trouble reaching Saint Jean whereas other cities in Spain are so much easy to reach ( although I must admit that for me living in Europe the travelling is cheaper so I can return whereas some others will only make a Camino once ).

And about learning a bit of basic Spanish : Also try to give back to the local spanish community. By buying in the local tiendas and when using the facillities in a bar always drink or eat something from that café.

If your funds can manage it : go into a restaurant and instead of asking for the menu del peregrino ask for the somewhat ( not much ) more expensive menu del dia. You will not be sorry.

Do not overplan indeed and stop in a small village : quite possible you well have a lovely talk with one of the older people sitting on a bench . Or you will not meet anyone there and you will be bored and or afraid but that is also a valuable thing to experience ( was for me anyway :) ).
Smile to the mailman, the guy who sweeps the streets , basically everyone who goes on with their jobs in Spain while we have the priviledge of walking in that gorgeous country. Smile also to yourself for that matter!

One of my pet peeves : it is not El Camino but the Camino Frances or the Camino del Norte or one of the many hundreds other Caminos

A pilgrim taking a bus , taxi or other motorised vehicule might have a very valuable reason to do so. If not that is ok too.
On my first Camino, the Frances in 2011 , I too was so sure to never take a bus. Until that moment I had a minor ailment and took the bus from Mansilla de las Mulas to Leon. Yes indeed eyeopener for me ;).

And oh finally : just enjoy and use all of your senses. Trust your instincts when needed. Take care of your feet and your soul.

Hola! That you for your post. I am walking the Camino Frances for the first time, on September 19th. You are correct, it is easy to overthink and over plan, perhaps its all the excitement and anticipation. Your suggestions are excellent and well received. I agree that it is important to pay respect, as a guest, to the host c
Hear hear Wayfarer.

So yes thanks Alex.

One of my pet peeves : it is not El Camino but the Camino Frances or the Camino del Norte or one of the many hundreds other Caminos .

Hola SabineP! Thank you for your helpful post. I am walking my first Camino (Frances) in September and I am eager to get started. I appreciate your insightful suggestions and agree that it is important to pay respect and engage those you come in contact with, given the opportunity. Have I over thought and over planned this trip? Probably, so your and others sage advice to relax and go with the flow is appreciated and will try to be headed . Thanks, Rover

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hola! That you for your post. I am walking the Camino Frances for the first time, on September 19th. You are correct, it is easy to overthink and over plan, perhaps its all the excitement and anticipation. Your suggestions are excellent and well received. I agree that it is important to pay respect, as a guest, to the host c

Hola SabineP! Thank you for your helpful post. I am walking my first Camino (Frances) in September and I am eager to get started. I appreciate your insightful suggestions and agree that it is important to pay respect and engage those you come in contact with, given the opportunity. Have I over thought and over planned this trip? Probably, so your and others sage advice to relax and go with the flow is appreciated and will try to be headed . Thanks, Rover
In many cases, the best plan is not to have a plan. People tend to secure themselves with bookings ahead, fixed return dates, etc. So what if the Camino is not for you? What if you need 4 rest days bc of your feet? (I needed it once on the VdlP).

Be flexible and relax. Once you are on the walk, it is easy.

BTW: For new members, have you considered contributing to keep this forum running?
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/account/upgrades/

Last edited:
For new pilgrims:

2. How do I get there?

For new pilgrims:

2. How do I get there?

How lovely! Thank you. Kimberly

Hello,

Best,
Lisa

Lisa, I am flying from the USA to Madrid and catching Air Nostrum to Biarritz. Rather than take the train, etc. I have arranged a van shuttle with Express Bourricot. It is a one hour ride to SJPP from there. The contact is Caroline Aphessetche. TEL: (+33) (0)6 61 96 04 76. apcaroline@hotmail.com
WebPage: www.expressbourricot.com/en/ Contact: Caroline @ www.expressbourricot.com/en/contact-and-booking/ apcaroline@hotmail.com. This might be a good alternative for you. Good luck. Rover

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In many cases, the best plan is not to have a plan. People tend to secure themselves with bookings ahead, fixed return dates, etc. So what if the Camino is not for you? What if you need 4 rest days bc of your feet? (...)

Be flexible and relax. Once you are on the walk, it is easy.
/

All very wise words!

For new pilgrims:

2. How do I get there?

thx for that , just need some plain comm
While I don't necessarily agree with the "there are no bad pilgrims" idea, I do agree that most pilgrims will go out of their way to be helpful. As will many locals.

A few examples from my Camino on the Primitvo:

- on two separate occasions, a stranger offered me water while I was walking
- a local asked whether I had food (when I was staying in a remote location with no restaurants or stores), and said if I didn't, he would get me some from his house (I did bring food, since I had read about that location in advance, but his offer still touched my heart!) In that same town, another local woman offered free/donation breakfasts to pilgrims in her home and garden, for the same reason.
- a woman I had met and travelled with on the trail ended up locked out from her bank account (this had happened to my mother in the past, while traveling overseas), and I gave her 50€, no expectation of return.
- she, in turn, met a man with no money or pack, trying to get home, and all the pilgrims at the albergue, including her, pooled some money, food, and water for him.
- I saw an albergue owner in San Roman da Ratorta volunteer to drive back to a Lugo hotel for a couple who missed getting their sello there on their first day, not realizing how critical it was for their Compostela.
- Five separate times, local people called out to me when I missed a turnoff, and pointed me in the right direction.
- a male pilgrim picked up my (clean! Lol) laundry that had accidentally dropped off my pack onto the trail, and returned it to me. The same happened to a friend's earbuds, and travel book (two separate occasions).
- a friend had bad blisters, and a stranger gave her bandages
- one pilgrim knew he snored, and handed out earplugs to others in the albergue
- a friend got coveted in ticks, and a stranger Gabe her a ride to the doctor's
- two separate times, various pilgrims volunteered to go out on a search for single pilgrims who didn't show up when they were expected to (in both cases, the ladies in question were fine, just moving slower than expected).

So many examples of kindnesses... I'm sure every pilgrim has their own examples!!

Buen Camino!

Chronoplus bus #14 from Biarritz (Anglet) Airport to Gare Bayonne. Bus takes about 40 minutes and goes roughly every half hour.

SNCF train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

If you are short of time try taxi (or Chronoplus bus C) to Gare Biarritz and catch SNCF train from Biarritz to Bayonne. Allow at least 15 minutes. The 1745 arrives at 1755 with enough time to catch the last train 1806 to SJPdP.

We should lobby Ryanair to put their flight back to an earlier time. A 17:10 arrival leaves it a little squeaky to catch the last train to SJPdP.

The Camino puts a reasonable amount of business their way, including from non-Europeans who wouldn't otherwise get to experience the delights that are their flights!

We should lobby Ryanair to put their flight back to an earlier time. A 17:10 arrival leaves it a little squeaky to catch the last train to SJPdP.

The Camino puts a reasonable amount of business their way, including from non-Europeans who wouldn't otherwise get to experience the delights that are their flights!

Good luck with that. Biarritz is a tourism destination that does not depend on the camino traffic. More than 1 million travellers in 2015 compared to 30000 pilgrims that start in SJPdP ... many of whom arrive by train from other airports.

Good luck with that. Biarritz is a tourism destination that does not depend on the camino traffic. More than 1 million travellers in 2015 compared to 30000 pilgrims that start in SJPdP ... many of whom arrive by train from other airports.

It was tongue-in-cheek. I've also used that particular route for visiting Bay of Biscay destinations more than I have for Camino purposes. (That said, a 17:10 arrival isn't great for that either!!)

Perhaps we should be lobbying for a later train instead!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It was tongue-in-cheek. I've also used that particular route for visiting Bay of Biscay destinations more than I have for Camino purposes. (That said, a 17:10 arrival isn't great for that either!!)

Perhaps we should be lobbying for a later train instead!

Perhaps we should encourage people to relax to the fact of travel connections not working out ... and stop travel at a reasonable time. Get fed, get sleep, before continuing travel.

Perhaps we should encourage people to relax to the fact of travel connections not working out ... and stop travel at a reasonable time. Get fed, get sleep, before continuing travel.

Nothing wrong with working hard for a living and wanting to make the most of every last little bit of holiday you have. If you can only get a week or fortnight off at a time to walk then an extra night "travelling" eats into that.

But this thread was started to help those new to the Camino... which none of this side-discussion is doing (though easier connections would) so I'll leave it at that.

Nothing wrong with working hard for a living and wanting to make the most of every last little bit of holiday you have. If you can only get a week or fortnight off at a time to walk then an extra night "travelling" eats into that.

But this thread was started to help those new to the Camino... which none of this side-discussion is doing (though easier connections would) so I'll leave it at that.

Perhaps we should be lobbying for longer vacations.

Besides which there is a 0745 - 0843 train from Bayonne to SJPdP ... You're still going to make Roncesvalles before dark.

For new pilgrims:

2. How do I get there?

AlexWalker . . . thank you for the great advice. I have what may seem like a naive question in light of your post, so bear with me. When you arrive at a village, how do you go about finding a albergue for the night, especially if you're looking for a specific albergue that was recommended to you? The obvious answer is to ask a local village but do you have any other advice. Thanks. Ricardo

Hi Rover, the Alburgue's are pretty well signed in the towns and villages. Lots of formal and less-so-formal signage. But indeed, you can always ask the locals who, in my experience, are always happy to help.

When in Ponferrada, we were struggling to find the main Alburgue after missing a way marker early on but a number of locals got us closer and closer and eventually there - all with only a smattering of very basic Spanish (us not them)!

Many of the villages you pass through are tiny so it's typically not a problem finding things. Obviously, more of an issue in the larger towns and the odd city.

Slight aside - but we also managed to go off-track a little in Burgos (on our bikes at the time so it's easier to miss way markers) and a local - in his wheelchair - insisted on taking us to where we needed to be to get on the path again. It was no inconsiderable distance out of his way and just a little humbling. A true pilgrim's friend.

You bring up a topic that does effect all future walks. The amount of Holiday. I do think that if you can't get the amount to finish any route you choose don't get overly upset. The reason I stress this is because it will always be there & when you return home it seem for most of us@ least on this forum, we will find a way, in any way, to return for any amount of time.
For those who like I felt due to medical reasons I had run out of time & it had to be finished don't, it never finishes just continues on.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Rover, the Alburgue's are pretty well signed in the towns and villages. Lots of formal and less-so-formal signage. But indeed, you can always ask the locals who, in my experience, are always happy to help.

When in Ponferrada, we were struggling to find the main Alburgue after missing a way marker early on but a number of locals got us closer and closer and eventually there - all with only a smattering of very basic Spanish (us not them)!

Many of the villages you pass through are tiny so it's typically not a problem finding things. Obviously, more of an issue in the larger towns and the odd city.

Slight aside - but we also managed to go off-track a little in Burgos (on our bikes at the time so it's easier to miss way markers) and a local - in his wheelchair - insisted on taking us to where we needed to be to get on the path again. It was no inconsiderable distance out of his way and just a little humbling. A true pilgrim's friend.

Hello Osborne, thanks for your feedback, makes sense. Being a first timer, sometimes it's easy to miss or overlook the obvious. Rover

For new pilgrims:

I read so many post from unsecure new pilgrims on this forum, and would like to assure you about a few points. Many believe there are so many problems connected withg getting there, doing it. and ending it. The fact is that it is very easy.
... ...

Sound advice @alexwalker
I'm especially appreciative because my tendency is to be detailed, prescribed, totally planned. Your post encourages me ... I will still plan, but hopefully not to the point of crazy. I like the notion that there is freedom and a lightness in allowing for serendipity and random encounters. Thank you!

Planning is fun! Plan as much as you like beforehand as long as you are willing to throw your plans over board and go with the flow once you are on the Camino ;-) Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Muchas Gracias
I enjoyed reading your post,
Kelly

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back