• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A fine example worth emulating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Agree! Love his posts - so informative and helpful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A balanced, informative and helpful post. As previously said, such posts as @davebugg give moderators an easier life. And, maybe teaches us how the unique experience of the Camino is as unique as everyone who walks its many paths.

Totally agree with the way he writes his posts, even though occasionally I may disagree with his opinion

I got so far with the article and then thought to myself, he starts by giving the opinion (which I agree with) that the choice of boots is personal and then writes rather a longish article on the choice of boots. To recommend that everyone should read this post is insulting, demanding that everyone should waste precious time. If you've time to stuff a mushroom you may have time to read this article, otherwise just make your own mind up what suits you best, which is what the chap says in the first place.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I got so far with the article and then thought to myself, he starts by giving the opinion (which I agree with) that the choice of boots is personal and then writes rather a longish article on the choice of boots. Too recommend that everyone should read this post is insulting, demanding that everyone should waste precious time. If you've time to stuff a mushroom you may have time to read this article, otherwise just make your own mind up what suits you best, which is what the chap says in the first place.

Whoa, this is a pretty ornery reaction. I found nothing at all insulting about Rachel's suggestion. First of all, she is commenting on the fact that Dave gives a ton of factual information that can help people when they make their footwear choices and that he does it without insisting or taking a side. You may be an experienced walker, but for many many newbies, the first reaction is to go to hiking boots or hiking shoes. Most of us had no basis for that other than the instinct that, well, it's a long hike, so my shoes should be hiking shoes. What Dave Bugg has taught me and many others is that the research and experienced wilderness hikers have moved way beyond this point, and trail runners are the clear favorites on wilderness trails, at least in the US on the PCT and AT. But the uninformed peregrino, like me, would never have known that without his comments.

Sure, the choice of boots is personal, but many made that choice without the relevant information. I walked for 17 caminos in hiking boots or hiking shoes, and it wasn't till this year that Dave's comments gave me the information I made to make an intelligent choice for me. The difference was astonishing.

Perhaps I feel very defensive about both kiwi-family and davebugg and all the help they bring to the forum, but I did think your comment was unnecessarily brusque.

oo recommend that everyone should read this post is insulting, demanding that everyone should waste precious time. If you've time to stuff a mushroom you may have time to read this article,

ooohhhh ....... a little harsh.
I liked the post BUT regardless - thats sort of why people ae searching on this forum isn't it? To find as much information as possible and then make up your own mind. There are a million variable /choices/ brands.
I for one enjoy reading about brands and equipment from other parts of the world that I may never have known about.

Thank you kiwi family for posting otherwise I wouldn't have read that post.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Gareth Griffith I am sorry that my suggestion offended you. I just re-read it to see what I could change to make it less objectionable and was struck by the irony that my post essentially said that the content may not be of interest but the gracious way that Davebugg wrote is a great example to us all. My chosen title “everyone should read this” is clearly the contentious point and I will change it, but would you allow me to explain? There have been some quite nasty interactions on this forum in recent months and I thought this was an excellent example of positive communication and I wanted to highlight it. “If you are one of the members who makes personal attacks and is generally rude and argumentative would you mind reading this post” was too long a title (not to mention very negative and pointed) and I figured the many positive members who might read it would just nod in agreement or just not read it if they were not interested in observing the style of communication. Certainly it would have been prudent for me to avoid the hyperbolic use of “everyone” and more importantly, to issue an invitation instead of using “should”. I try to be very intentional about how I use words and I try to live at peace with everyone as much as I can, so would you accept my apologies for offending you with my careless language. While I have changed the title, I will not delete the thread because other comments indicate it has been helpful to many others. I am sorry that you felt your time was wasted.

It is notable that it is two females that think I'm being harsh. (I'm not sure whether "Camino Chris" is M or F.) Most blokes are more than capable of walking into a reputable outdoor shop and saying to an assistant "i'm thinking of walking at least 790 kilometers across northern Spain, I'm a size 7 and have a budget of fourpence, what have you got?" Half an hour later they'll be back on the street with a suitable pair of shoes/boots/flipflops/desert wellies.
But as any married adult male will tell you, women and shoe shops do not mix and are not the place that you want to be when they are in the process of buying footwear!
My humble apologies if anyone is seriously injured by my comments. Tincatinker you made me laugh!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Everyone should read this/these:
Mein Kampf
The Bible
War and Peace.
A la recherche du temps perdu.
The Blah Story

Can you see why I thought otherwise? Look 'em up, some of them are long, some of them are boring, some of them hold no interest for me or most other people.
Personally it was the grandiose "Everyone should read this" that got me. An instruction that everyone shoud read how to choose a pair of boots! Had it been the secret of eternal life, personal happiness or anything of real importance I could have accepted it, but you've just gotta read about boots!!!!!!!!
Thank you for your apology Kiwi Family.

Oh come on! Are we descending to petty sexism and stereotypes now?! @Gareth Griffith your comment about the gender of those posting is offensive. Can I suggest that post and the next where you compare @davebugg 's post to Mein Kampf (huh?!!) are deleted before this gets any more ridiculous?

Had it been the secret of eternal life, personal happiness or anything of real importance I could have accepted it, but you've just gotta read about boots!!!!!!!!.

How can I communicate this more clearly? It was never about the boots. It was all about The Way in Which He Wrote....polite, respectful, empathetic, gracious, informative, humble, compelling.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh come on! Are we descending to petty sexism and stereotypes now?! @Gareth Griffith your comment about the gender of those posting is offensive. Can I suggest that post and the next where you compare @davebugg 's post to Mein Kampf (huh?!!) are deleted before this gets any more ridiculous?
i am not comparing anything. I am just making the point thst titling a piece about choosing a pair of boots “everyone should read this” is over the top. Try snd find s sense of humour too !

It is notable that it is two females that think I'm being harsh. (I'm not sure whether "Camino Chris" is M or F.) Most blokes are more than capable of walking into a reputable outdoor shop and saying to an assistant "i'm thinking of walking at least 790 kilometers across northern Spain, I'm a size 7 and have a budget of fourpence, what have you got?" Half an hour later they'll be back on the street with a suitable pair of shoes/boots/flipflops/desert wellies.
But as any married adult male will tell you, women and shoe shops do not mix and are not the place that you want to be when they are in the process of buying footwear!
My humble apologies if anyone is seriously injured by my comments. Tincatinker you made me laugh!!
I'm a male. I thought your posting was brusque.

I am in no way "seriously injured" by your comments. For many years, I did what you suggest that "most blokes" do -- walked into REI or other "reputable outdoor shops". Year after year, I was sold hiking boots and hiking shoes. No one ever told me that the research clearly shows that for most people in most situations, those are way too much shoe for the camino. Most people buy hiking boots and hiking shoes because no one tells them any better. That is the void Dave filled.

Trolling, posting provocatively merely to provoke others is not permitted on this forum. This appears to me to be robust discussion but if any member decides that fun at the expense of others comfort will be tolerated - they're wrong.

i am not comparing anything. I am just making the point thst titling a piece about choosing a pair of boots “everyone should read this” is over the top. Try snd find s sense of humour too !

Oh I have a sense of humour. This is not humorous, it's simply offensive:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@GettingThere while I agree with your concerns about stereotyping and sexism (which are, at best, unhelpful - stereotyping that is, not your comments!), I also believe in free speech and when you allow free speech you necessarily accept that some things said may be offensive. I still defend the right to speak - furthermore, I would defend the right to speak rudely if that is what someone chooses (although I also believe it would be appropriate to challenge such rudeness). @Gareth Griffith challenged me and I hope I responded in such a way as to promote peace. To be honest, in light of his more recent posts I am wondering if I should have just said, “Lighten up mate and don’t read it if you don’t want to.” It is intriguing to me that one who was so offended is displaying such offensive behaviour himself - and defending it.
My mother always told me I didn’t know when to stop on issues of justice and if her words are ringing in my ears now I’ve probably gone too far already. That said, I’ll now bow out.

Ok let’s look at this again. The whole thing started when a forum member said he was “insulted” when another forum member had a thread saying you should read this. He then proceeded to insult both women and Davebugg with his response to some negative reactions to his comments. So I guess if Rachel insulted you (still not sure how) it’s ok for you to insult others.

Let’s also not lose the irony that this happened because Rachel was pointing out an example of extreme civility on the forum.

Time to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.