• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A flower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracie

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall (2017)
I have heard and read that the Camino is for all faiths and all faiths are welcomed. I hope this is true. I am of no structured religion. I believe in a higher power and am very spiritual. My question is this, I have a Buen Camino patch on my pack and would like to put a flower over the small cross since the cross is not my faiths symbol. Would this upset people of the Christian or Catholic faith? My friends seem to think I might be burned at the stake for it :) thanks in advance for your input

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm a practicing Christian and I can assure that it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. If it's what you want to do then go ahead.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have heard and read that the Camino is for all faiths and all faiths are welcomed. I hope this is true. I am of no structured religion. I believe in a higher power and am very spiritual. My question is this, I have a Buen Camino patch on my pack and would like to put a flower over the small cross since the cross is not my faiths symbol. Would this upset people of the Christian or Catholic faith? My friends seem to think I might be burned at the stake for it :) thanks in advance for your input

There will be no problems. The Camino, in a very literal sense, is open to all and all, regardless of their religion, spirituality, or complete atheism, is welcome. Pilgrims are individuals and their motivations for going on Camino run the entire gamut from a deeply religious conviction to those who are only looking for a good walking tour of Northern Spain. Each person's motivation remains personal.

I don't think I have ever been asked my religion on Camino though I have had many spiritual discussions in the form of brief interactions with individuals.

Please come and know that the Camino will welcome you. Covering a cross on a patch is your personal choice and I suspect few will even notice it.

Honnestly, don't think anyone would know, nor care, that you are covering a cross. Don't think there is anything in the doctrine that mentiones Camino patches. ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
would like to put a flower over the small cross since the cross is not my faiths symbol.
Is the flower your faith's symbol?

Various symbols, including the cross, the shell, and even the greeting "buen camino" represent aspects of the Camino de Santiago, which you have chosen to walk.

I very much doubt that people will see your patch, with or without the cross covered, and draw conclusions about your religion.

However, I would not wear a patch with a religious symbol that was deliberately blocked out unless I was 100% confident that no one could tell. It seems like a deliberate rejection. No burning at the stake is going to happen, but why bother doing this in the first place?

I just googled "buen camino patch" and realise that what you are hoping to hide is not any random cross but the St-James cross. I don't think people see kt as a religious symbol, but rather as a symbol of the Camino, just like the shell is. St-James is said to have fought the Moors, and is very often shown with his sword. The cross you are looking to cover is an onject half sword, half cross.

I guess now that I wonder why you would hide the "logo" of an experience you have decided to embark on? Push comes to shove, there are many other patches out there, some that are simply the yellow arrow on blue background. There's a safe choice.

If the possibility of offending someone with a patch is of such a concern to you, why not just get a different "Buen Camino" patch that does not have the cross on it? Like this one:
il_570xN.777857713_6b36.jpg

If having the shell on a patch plays a factor, sew one like this one right next to it.
mX-EEQsJIL4ElkhribEHxTQ.jpg

There, problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Tracie,
I'll own this as opinion, but I think those of us who are not Christian walk the way as honored guests. So your concern about causing offense is a gracious and lovely gesture of respect.

I've never seen stakes along the Camino with people being burned on them. I wouldn't worry.
That said, the question that arises for me is "What's the problem?"
A cross is just a symbol, not what's in your heart.

Lots of people who are not Catholic or even Christian carry shells or patches or pins with crosses on them. When I do this, it's out of deep respect--and as a nod to the Catholic/Christian roots of the way. In some mysterious way it helps me connect with that. It doesn't in any way detract from my own faith--quite the opposite; I feel enriched. Nor is it in any way hypocrisy--but that's a religious discussion that would close the thread PDQ.

On reflection perhaps you'll you realize that you actually have issues with Catholicism or Christianity or organized religion. If that's the case you might want to consider that these issues could potentially get triggered again and again as you walk. The way welcomes all of us, but historically (pagan roots notwithstanding) the Camino has been primarily a Christian pilgrimage. It still is now for a great many, even though it has become hugely popular as a spiritual or touristic thing to so.

Cross or no cross--buen camino!

Hi Tracie,
There are many symbols in this world and we interpret them according to culture, experience, belief, etc. You are free to do what you will. The Camino is much older than the Catholic/Christian belief system. It is part of a pre-Christian, ancient world, journey that followed ley lines.

Thank you all for your responses, all are greatly appreciate. I've decided to attach the flower C Clearly, I in no way won't to make it "seem like a deliberate rejection " the flower is actually a good representation of my personal faith :) Viranani, I actually find religion fascinating and don't have any issues with Catholicism or Christianity. I love very thoughtful responses that make me think in different ways, thank you :) Anemone, the flower just feels right to me. Mark Lee, I don't know why I didn't see the arrow one when purchasing my patch but I really do love the shell symbol!
Thanks again, Buen Camino everyone

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
During the Catholic persecution in England Catholics wore their crosses hidden - hidden in plain view - "in silver bells and cockles shells" as the nursery rhyme goes re Mary, the Queen of Scots (eventually unjustly murdered by Elizabeth the 1st, her cousin). .... so by hiding your crucifix under a flower you are actually carrying on an old Catholic survival tradition ;)

I too am a bit dubious about this topic on the forum, however for the sake of the conversation, I've always been curious about what I hear so often these days "I'm not religious, but I am spiritual' and each time I wonder, what does that really mean?
The closest I've come up with is...perhaps it's akin to love...whatever love means to you, then that's what it means. There must be a koan for this. o_O Mods, edit at will

I too am a bit dubious about this topic on the forum, however for the sake of the conversation, I've always been curious about what I hear so often these days "I'm not religious, but I am spiritual' and each time I wonder, what does that really mean?
The closest I've come up with is...perhaps it's akin to love...whatever love means to you, then that's what it means. There must be a koan for this. o_O Mods, edit at will
Religion is believing in another persons experience, Spirituality is believing in your own experience

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is beginning to become the type of discussion that goes beyond the purpose of the Forum. It too easily causes conflict due to the perception of condemnation of one's religion and the superiority of another's ideas, thoughts, and "spirituality".

I am both religious and spiritual and have been all my life. My religion does not exist without spirituality. I gather with others who share that same spirituality. You may choose your own path and on this forum I will never condemn it. It is personal and will always be a personal choice. Let's move on and stay on topic.

My Camino friends are Buddhist, Christian, and a host of other affiliations and beliefs. They all have felt the call of the Camino and have responded in the same manner - they have walked the same paths we all have walked and hope to walk again.

This is beginning to become the type of discussion that goes beyond the purpose of the Forum. It too easily causes conflict due to the perception of condemnation of one's religion and the superiority of another's ideas, thoughts, and "spirituality".

I am both religious and spiritual and have been all my life. My religion does not exist without spirituality. I gather with others who share that same spirituality. You may choose your own path and on this forum I will never condemn it. It is personal and will always be a personal choice. Let's move on and stay on topic.

My Camino friends are Buddhist, Christian, and a host of other affiliations and beliefs. They all have felt the call of the Camino and have responded in the same manner - they have walked the same paths we all have walked and hope to walk again.
Thank you for this .....yes, it was time. And a beautiful message it is. Done.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a reason for the rule in the forum against discussions about religion. One person's opinion about religion can be very offensive to another person. I think the OP's question has been answered and it is now time to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.