• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Food Lover's Pilgrimage to Santiago De Compostela

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
A Food Lover's Pilgrimage to Santiago De Compostela by Dee Nolan, an award-winning Australian journalist and editor

'A constant on my camino was the powerful sensation of a message across time, a guiding hand reaching out to me from those who had passed this way before.'

A thousand-year-old pilgrimage route and food traditions stretching back de toda la vida – since forever. These are what Dee Nolan set out to experience on her pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela – through the rich farming lands of southern France and northern Spain, green Spain. The monks who came here in the Middle Ages to look after the first pilgrims planted grapevines from their homelands far away. Now food lovers come seeking the magnificent wines made using grapes grown in those same ancient vineyards, along with sublime cooking and fresh, luscious produce.

Dee's own emotional journey along the Way of St James – el camino de Santiago – took her back to the very heart of things: why we should care about what we eat and how it is produced, why we need escape valves like the pilgrimage in our busy modern lives, and why she found herself, after a long career in publishing, back on her grandfather's farm and connecting with the soil.

This joyful book tells the story of Dee's camino, of the pilgrimage itself and of the food traditions that sustain us all. Following the route of those first pilgrims, Dee met wise cooks and farmers who are finding that the future lies in the past. And she realised why, in our secular age, we are so captivated by this medieval Christian pilgrimage.

http://www.penguin.com.au/products/9781 ... compostela

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
One of the perks of spending a decade writing a novel about the Camino is that every birthday I get at least one Camino-related book. While I'm still working my way through the pile, Dee Nolan's "A Food Lover's Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela" is among my favourites. Every page is gorgeous - with stunning pictures of Spain and the local cuisine found in each province (see attached). Every time I read it, I either get hungry or long to be back on the Way. Thoroughly enjoyed Dee's story and meeting the locals she encountered on her way to Santiago. And the cover is a fine addition to any coffee table.

Attachments

• IMG_5994.jpg
    IMG_5994.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5993.jpg
    IMG_5993.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 6
One of the perks of spending a decade writing a novel about the Camino is that every birthday I get at least one Camino-related book. While I'm still working my way through the pile, Dee Nolan's "A Food Lover's Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela" is among my favourites. Every page is gorgeous - with stunning pictures of Spain and the local cuisine found in each province (see attached). Every time I read it, I either get hungry or long to be back on the Way. Thoroughly enjoyed Dee's story and meeting the locals she encountered on her way to Santiago. And the cover is a fine addition to any coffee table.

Shame it’s £241.00 atm on Amazon uk. … plus postage!!
Second hand, like new.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...
This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.