• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Fool's Journey- My Camino experience in paintings and stories

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In the spring of 2013, Cecelia and I walked 1200km. in 3 months. We started in Le Puy and ended in Finnesterre. In March of 2015 I had an art show of my paintings and Cecelia's stories. If anyone is interested you can see it by clicking this link: http://www.suzynaylor.ca/assets/camino-show-suzy-naylor.pdf.
I hope you enjoy looking at it.
La Tortuga are you still doing showings of this work? I live in Victoria and would love to see these up close and personal. I depart Sept 21st for St. Jean and begin my walk on Sept 25th. movinmaggie

La Tortuga are you still doing showings of this work? I live in Victoria and would love to see these up close and personal. I depart Sept 21st for St. Jean and begin my walk on Sept 25th. movinmaggie
Maggie, I live on the Sunshine Coast. I don't have any shows at the moment but you can always call me and come to my studio. (Contact info is on my website: www.suzynaylor.ca ) There is the annual "Sunshine Coast Art Crawl" Oct. 16-18th. My studio is open during that. Thanks for looking at my paintings.
Hope you have a good walk.
Cheers,
Suzy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes , you are rigor the Basque ARE a part of nature and could not conceive life without it.

Thanks for your post it's so refreshing.

Do come back and rest for a while. As we say here eskerrik asko and ondo ibili! :)
Hi Mendiwalker,
It's been very interesting for me to spend time in Basque country on my various caminos. From Canada, I had never heard much about the Basque people except when there is a terrorist bombing so I didn't really have any expectations.

But I have had occasion to spend a few days In Biarittz and in Valladolid in particular. I couldn't help but notice what genuine, warm people many of the Basque people are - even those who own stores and restaurants. I have a lot of little stories about my experiences in Basque country but one of my favourites is this.

I went into a bar that had a sign on its window welcoming passers-by to Basque country. I had to wait for a friend, and was hungry. So I sat at the bar and chatted with the owner there, who I presume was Basque because of the sign on his door. He was very patient with my stumbling Spanish and we had an interesting chat. Eventually I left and wandered down the street for about a block before I realized that I hadn't paid. On the run, I scurried my then 60 year old butt back as fast as I could, and ran through the door apologizing.

The owner just laughed and said not to worry. He said he knew that I had done it without intention and he knew I'd be back once I remembered. I was so embarrassed, (way to make an impression in a foreign country!!) but he thought it was quite funny. We chatted some more and I left, happy and relieved. I was so surprised that he clearly believed me and wasn't at all upset.

@cecelia

Basque will always believe you till you prove yourself a liar.

Btw Valladolid isn´t in Euskal Herria / Basque Country

Another thing , which town wee you in when you painted those mountains or do you know which mountain it is?

Do come again.

Ondo Ibili !
Mendiwalker - about Valladolid - oops, of course - my apologies (the heart is full but the brain apparently wanders away from reality!!). I very much enjoyed being in Valladolid too, as I finally got the answer from a local about why there were so many 'Free Leon' signs (since the Spanish invasion was quite awhile ago).

Nevertheless - it has always been a great experience for me dealing with the people in Basque country and I feel a special kinship:)

The painting - which was done by Suzy Naylor, not me (I only did the notes), was, if I remember correctly, as we were walking a few kilometers east of Saint Jean Pied-de-Port - possibly entering Saint-Jean-le-Vieux.

Thank you for your comments. I will definitely be back.
Cecelia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for allowing us to enjoy your exhibition as if we were there. Cecelia's notes added context and were a nice addition to Suzy's paintings.
In 2014 I attended an exhibition in the Hill Country of Central Texas by artist Susie Monday influenced by her camino. Here is a link of her fabric art: http://susiemonday.com/#/the-road-to-santiago-2014/

I wonder if anybody knows of other art work also influenced by a camino.

Thank you for allowing us to enjoy your exhibition as if we were there. Cecelia's notes added context and were a nice addition to Suzy's paintings.
In 2014 I attended an exhibition in the Hill Country of Central Texas by artist Susie Monday influenced by her camino. Here is a link of her fabric art: http://susiemonday.com/#/the-road-to-santiago-2014/

There have been various other paintings and works of art posted on other sites on this forum. Some of them are under Miscellaneous/Camino Art, but I'm pretty sure there are others as well.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Glad you enjoyed the paintings and stories, ricitosdeplata. I looked at the fabric art that you mentioned. It is quite delightful.
I think it would be a lovely idea of there was a section of this Forum called "Camino inspired Creative Expressions". The camino experience seems to stimulate creativity (books, poetry, stories, paintings, music, etc. ) and it would be great to collect these expressions in one place where they were easily shared.

cheers,
Suzy

Thank you both for sharing your paintings and reflections. What a beautiful way to commemorate your camino! I've thoroughly enjoyed travelling along with you :).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You are very welcome, Bala. Thank you for taking the time to travel with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed the experience.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back