• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Resource icon

A Furnace Full of God: A Holy Year on the Camino de Santiago

martin1ws

Time of past OR future Camino
2018; (2020); 2021; 2022; 2023
martin1ws submitted a new resource:

A Furnace Full of God: A Holy Year on the Camino de Santiago - A book by Rebekah Scott

Rebekah and Patrick, burned-out newspaper journalists from the USA and England, were captured by the generous spirit they found the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage trail. They sold up their American lives and moved to Spain in 2006, to a town of twenty farmers inthe middle of the 500-mile, thousand-year-old pilgrim road. They did their best to catch the ancient rhythms of seedtime, harvest, pig-stickings and saints’ days.The year 2010 was a Holy Year, when more than 300,000 pilgrims walked to...

Read more about this resource...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just grabbed it on Amazon. (Kindle Version) Think I'm going to enjoy this @Rebekah :)
Loved the Moorish Whore by the way........

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What a beautiful Christmas present to myself! And I've been to Moratinos - but felt it would have been presumptuous to knock on their door without warning. I was silly, wasn't I?

Two views of Moratinos in May 2019:
Moratinos.jpg Moratinos2.jpg

Kindle/electronic edition also available.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sat down and read the whole book today. Rebekah has lived so many of the things I have thought. How can I retire to Spain and live as a neighbor in a community? How can I be closer to pilgrims? At first the book seemed a random collection of stories, but it was not until near the end that I could see how they were woven together by the heart. Thank you for letting me see a little into your world. Loved it. Left an Amazon review.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is a name for people like me who prefer words on a page. So I ordered the paper version. That way I can pass it on... don’t anybody tell the end of the story please!!!

:) I prefer reading a book, too. Something about the touch and feel of the pages and the smells of books are part of the experience.

BTW, I can loan books on Kindle to other Kindle owners. Kind of a neat feature.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Now that I have the e-book, I'm wondering if the printed book contains other things, such as drawings or photos which I might have missed.

Is there a way that I can be notified when the book is again available in the Forum Store? It is already sold out!

Thanks in advance,

B
I think you can order a hard copy or an electronic copy from Amazon if you prefer. I understand if you want to give Ivar the business though.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For people in the US, I would suggest asking your public library to acquire the book. My library is very receptive to patron requests (they immediately bought Delores Redondo’s mysteries on the Camino Baztán), and the best thing is that having Rebekah‘s books in the library means that others will read them!

As I have undoubtedly said before, though we are a failure at public transportation, our public libraries are amazing public treasures, unsurpassed by any other place I can think of.

Funding cuts to public libraries here in Australia (and in the UK I believe) mean that its harder for them to stretch their budgets to fairly marginal requests. I am an ex-librarian. Also, I'd like Rebekah to sell as many books as possible to boost her income - she deserves it! So, buy the book AND ask the library to do so.

I ordered my kindle version last week and love how it was delivered on Christmas. Perfect.
Savoring this like a box of Belgian chocolates.
Each chapter is a different treat.
Left a review.
It is a camino classic!
...love your description of "Savoring this like a box of Belgian chocolates". You captured the emotion perfectly. It was a wonderful read! Rebekah, thank you so much for virtually transporting me back to the Camino Frances via sharing your life's journey and your ability to make it come alive through words. It was the best!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I bought my Kindle copy today, but am going to try to put off reading it until my month in Mexico in January/February. I shall take my tablet with me and have a comfortable screen size to read from, as well as my I-phone.

Wow, everybody. Thanks! I wish I could get the book out into the wider world (outside the Pilgrim bubble,) but time will tell... meantime, to answer your questions: There are two maps, a photo in the back, and little images on each chapter title page. I believe they all translated to the Kindle version.
Hard copies of the book (the ones I have to sign and sello) won't arrive until 3 Jan., and thereafter I must transport or ship to Santiago for Ivar to sell. I don't know why things are moving so slowly over here, but that's life on the Perimeter.
The book will also go on sale at the online and on-site bookshop at Confraternity of St. James, London, soon as I can get it to them and work out the legalities.
Thank you all for your support.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My copy also arrived today,
the three French brothers cracked me up....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I received my paper book copy via amazon delivery to Australia a few days ago . Much quicker delivery than expected . It was my Christmas present for myself . I’m nearly finished . It’s really interesting . I’m enjoying it ! I found out about it via Sybil’s post on fb . Thankyou Sybil . Thankyou Rebekah . Cheers 😊👋

Friends, I just finished Rebekah Scott's new book "A Furnace Full of God" (A Holy Year on the Camino). It's available from Amazon. Rebekah and Patrick purchased an old farm in Moratinos, and now welcome pilgrims into their home. I'm no writer, and whatever I say will not do the book justice, but if you've ever wondered about all the people serving others on the Camino, there is great insight here. The relationships, and human-ness (is that even a word?) of people the world over is front and center. Rebekah doesn't mince words, but provides the reader with vivid mental pictures of what life is like when it's not all about you. I know I'm going to be picking up this book again and again. I've already taken a picture of a particular food blessing from the book on my phone so I can remember and use it. Thank you Rebekah, and love to all of the animals.

Friends, I just finished Rebekah Scott's new book "A Furnace Full of God" (A Holy Year on the Camino). It's available from Amazon. Rebekah and Patrick purchased an old farm in Moratinos, and now welcome pilgrims into their home. I'm no writer, and whatever I say will not do the book justice, but if you've ever wondered about all the people serving others on the Camino, there is great insight here. The relationships, and human-ness (is that even a word?) of people the world over is front and center. Rebekah doesn't mince words, but provides the reader with vivid mental pictures of what life is like when it's not all about you. I know I'm going to be picking up this book again and again. I've already taken a picture of a particular food blessing from the book on my phone so I can remember and use it. Thank you Rebekah, and love to all of the animals.

It's good to remind the Forum of Rebekah's book. Some may have missed the notification from last week.

I'm more a friend of Paddy than Bekah, though I do like her very much indeed, almost as much as I like him -- she is a True Hospitalera, and very wise in all of our pilgrim ways -- and I'll take the book recommendation gladly.

She does write beautifully, and hey !! I can now afford to buy books again !!!

Last edited:
I wish I could get the book out into the wider world (outside the Pilgrim bubble,) but time will tell...

FWIW it's up on Amazon France ...

(probably shouldn't say so, as someone might buy "my" copy ...)

Last edited:
Wow, everybody. Thanks! I wish I could get the book out into the wider world (outside the Pilgrim bubble,) but time will tell... meantime, to answer your questions: There are two maps, a photo in the back, and little images on each chapter title page. I believe they all translated to the Kindle version.
Hard copies of the book (the ones I have to sign and sello) won't arrive until 3 Jan., and thereafter I must transport or ship to Santiago for Ivar to sell. I don't know why things are moving so slowly over here, but that's life on the Perimeter.
The book will also go on sale at the online and on-site bookshop at Confraternity of St. James, London, soon as I can get it to them and work out the legalities.
Thank you all for your support.
It was delivered to me a few days ago to Melbourne , Australia via amazon . I just finished it last night . I really enjoyed it -and I shared your book via my fb social media post and also on ‘Australians on the Camino fb group’. Thanks for a good ‘warts and all’ Camino book and all your good work for pilgrims , the Camino community and the peaceable foundation good works . Cheers and I wish you all the best in your adventures. 😊👋

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mine just arrived. Two days early. At the same time as our next door neighbour called to collect a parcel I had signed for her. Looking at her gorgeous little daughter, I went in to the front room and came out and handed over a snowman, as in, a knitted snowman, as in, the snowman from the film. Walking in the air. I was given the snowman as a gift in 1995. It has sat on our sofas for all those years. It is time for a child to love it and hug it, and bite bits out of it. Such is life. And now, again, my copy has just arrived, I do look forward to reading it. Which will win this evening? My copy, or The Body, by Bill Bryson? Maybe an hour each...

Really love this book....

I was anxious to read “A Furnace Full of God” and once I started I couldn’t put it down. And that is always a good sign for me. When I reluctantly began to turn through the last pages and finished the book, I missed Rebekah, Paddy, and the people who inhabited the world of a small village on the Meseta in Spain. The unremarkable place of Moratinos came alive. Scott writes with simplicity and honesty, refusing paragraph by paragraph to over dramatize events and people. And in that sparse simplicity she manages to make even an ordinary day, ordinary events meaningful and impactful, characters three dimensional, the renovated farmhouse true refuge. There are a multitude of books on the Camino experience, but his one offers a unique perspective. Highly recommended.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Did anybody else have a glory hole? Under the stairs, at the back door? I am on page 102. Rebekah is talking about the name for the underfloor heating system. My hometown is at the Western end of the Antonine Wall... maybe that is where we got the word from!
Ha! The Chinese were first at many things, did they have sophisticated underfloor heating as well, or is that truly a Roman gift to civilisation? I can see it will be difficult to close the book tonight...

Champaign, Illinois public library just sent me this email. I requested that they buy it about ten days ago!

Let’s make this a library staple.

Edited to say that I removed the attachment showing my library’s purchase of the book. A kind forum member pointed out that it had my name and library card number on it. Oops

Last edited:
Did anybody else have a glory hole? Under the stairs, at the back door? I am on page 102. Rebekah is talking about the name for the underfloor heating system. My hometown is at the Western end of the Antonine Wall... maybe that is where we got the word from!
Ha! The Chinese were first at many things, did they have sophisticated underfloor heating as well, or is that truly a Roman gift to civilisation? I can see it will be difficult to close the book tonight...
Interesting question. Since most of our history is biased chauvinism and not based on facts, it would fun to research. The Romans employed this system of heating (known as Hypocaust) in the 4th century on the Meseta as evidenced at Villa Olmeda, but then so didn't they also introduce indoor plumbing there as well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This fabulous book is on its way to me as I type this... I'm counting on it being every bit as wonderful as all of the reviews imply and I'm hoping to place it on my 'recommended reads' list for the course I'm teaching in Jan/Feb ! Looking forward to devouring every word :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So delightful to see the FFOG thread wander from heavenly praises to the history of indoor plumbing!

So, let's it get back on track, shall we? One thing that is really important to authors are reviews, either on Amazon or on Goodreads or on ... So, if you read the book, please leave a review for it 'somewhere' so that others that are interested in the topic can find it more easily ...
BC SY

For those opposed to Amazon: "Furnace" will be on sale at the Confraternity of St. James annual meeting at the end of January, and will be available thereafter at their shop at the headquarters in Blackfriars.
It is also available right HERE from Ivar's shop!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just to say that my library has also purchased Reb’s translation of Bolitx’s book. For people in the US, ask your library to buy these books! It is the best way to promote Reb’s books to a wider audience. I have been delighted to find that my library has a small fund to purchase “requested books”, and it apparently often goes unspent. I can’t imagine that my situation is unique, so anyone in the US should check things out with their public library.

I would like to post a review. Amazon doesn’t like me because I haven’t spent enough money with them. What might I do? I signed out of facebook and have no intention of signing back in.

€83,-
I would like to post a review. Amazon doesn’t like me because I haven’t spent enough money with them. What might I do? I signed out of facebook and have no intention of signing back in.

You can also leave one on goodreads.com ;-)
BC SY

Ok, so I couldn’t see the wood for the trees... wayfarer, you are so smart!
I had already read Rebekah’s translation of the book El Gran Caminante, and compared it with the original. I knew therefore that she has a most wonderful way with words. With this book, I could imagine sitting down with feet outstretched, the wind howling, the rain lashing against the window panes, the (real ) fire burning and snapping away in the hearth.... stop! This is about Rebekah and her book! So, yes, I loved the way she wove the stories into pictures. When I was a child, in the 50s, radio stories were wonderful, chapters told each week. This book would be perfect for that.
I finished the book this morning on the bus. A big mistake. I had to control my blubbering, because at this point in the book it traces a most difficult moment in the life of the people in Moratinos, Peaceable Kingdom. When is your next book coming out, Rebekah?

Ok, so I couldn’t see the wood for the trees... wayfarer, you are so smart!
I had already read Rebekah’s translation of the book El Gran Caminante, and compared it with the original. I knew therefore that she has a most wonderful way with words. With this book, I could imagine sitting down with feet outstretched, the wind howling, the rain lashing against the window panes, the (real ) fire burning and snapping away in the hearth.... stop! This is about Rebekah and her book! So, yes, I loved the way she wove the stories into pictures. When I was a child, in the 50s, radio stories were wonderful, chapters told each week. This book would be perfect for that.
I finished the book this morning on the bus. A big mistake. I had to control my blubbering, because at this point in the book it traces a most difficult moment in the life of the people in Moratinos, Peaceable Kingdom. When is your next book coming out, Rebekah?

I made you cry..! Woohoo! That was one of my specialties, back in my newswriting days! Making readers cry! And ON THE BUS! Bonus points! So glad you enjoyed the book.
As for when the next comes out.... eeeeugh! It took me YEARS to write this one!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm waiting for mine from Ivar. It has been shipped. Goody!!

Hello!
I have just finished reading Rebekah’s book “A Furnace Full of God” (Rebekah Scott) and want to tell you how very touching a read I found it. It is about how she and Patrick set themselves up in the old farm on the camino 10 years ago.

I think advertising on this forum is forbidden under forum rules. So this is not an advertisement, but a testimony....

Buen camino!

€60,-
My literature snob appraisal is that this is an extremely well-written book.

Structurally, stylistically, and narratively, it is quite brilliant -- structurally, it is very well balanced, ease and hardship, toughness and emotion, poetically arranged into a portrait of Camino meaning itself, and yet each reader pleasantly supported into his own purposes of interpretation ; stylistically, the book is as much respectable and readable as it is peaceable ; narratively, its up and down wandering free overall crescendo is a perfect portrayal of every coherent Camino story there has ever been, including yours, as well as being a deep and very sensitive portrayal of the Camino itself in its own ups and downs, but yet always into a strange degree to an increase of hardship, yet a blessed decrease of difficulty.

Now I still think that "the best Camino book written to date" is the deeply seminal Priez pour nous à Compostelle by Gurgand and Barret -- but this wonderful book is among the very best of them all.

€60,-
I got my copy on kindle. Couldn’t put it down. It made me laugh and cry and I didn’t want it to end! One great book and I will sure go on goodreads to write a review. Thank you @Rebekah Scott for those good moments!

€60,-
Got mine in the mail yesterday from Ivar's shop, Rebekah-signed and with The Peaceable's sello.

My bride assented to giving up our usual Friday night routine (though I still had to cook dinner;)). Rain this morning gave me a few more minutes to read before starting on the annual pruning chores in our "toy orchard". Neither the book nor the pruning are finished but my fingers have now thawed to where I can type a moment before moving onto soup-making.

This book is heart-achingly beautiful. And I am a guy, so generally loathe to think such an acclamation never mind say it.

Thank you, Rebekah!

B

I’m savouring this unique book ...
A slow and meditative reader, I‘m loving taking my time with it.

You have that rare ability to paint imaginations with your words, Reb .... and I am constantly surprised by the skill with which you lead us along your chosen paths ...

For the moment I am happy to remain within the flow ...

I was delighted to find this in a publication I subscribe to, and am happy to share it with you all. I can recommend the book, having thoroughly enjoyed it myself.

View attachment 75264
Thank you Kirkie for this post and review of Rebekah's book. I (Anne) have just finished reading it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I found it very moving in parts and would love to be able to look in on Rebekah and her albergue in Moratinos , when we are able to walk again.
Anne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Stormy weather predictions for North Carolina is the perfect excuse to curl up with a good Camino book and when I saw Terry Wilson's GOD'S COCAINE, I could not -- not! -- stop laughing! Now, the anticipation of A FURNACE FULL OF GOD by Rebekah! A plethora of Camino-reading riches!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was delighted to find this in a publication I subscribe to, and am happy to share it with you all. I can recommend the book, having thoroughly enjoyed it myself.

View attachment 75264
If anyone is interested, Rebekah will be joining us in the Facebook Group, "Pilgrimage in Place," during our Pilgrim Table Zoom call on Saturday June 6. Just click on over to Facebook "Pilgrimage in Place" page for all the details. Background: Annie O'Neil of "Six Ways to Santiago" and "Phil's Camino" facilitates this new group found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/annieoneilpilgrimageinplace/. Also, we will be embarking on a virtual pilgrimage starting in SJPDP June 1. Why don't you join us?!

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back