• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Gastronomic Guide to The Camino Frances.

PaulWuk

Time of past OR future Camino
I have walked the Camino Frances from St Jean to Santiago, and plan to walk Le Puy to St Jean this year.
Having walked the Camino Frances last year, my wife and i discovered some gastronomic gems along the way. Some were in Casa rurals, some in Hostals or communal meals in albergues. We are compiling a good food guide to the Camino to highlight the establishments and meals that are worth stopping for. Any fond memories from fellow pilgrims would be most appreciated. Please post your favourite Camino gastronomic memories.

many thanks

paul

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Excellent plan, Paul, go for it.
Two restaurants I particularly enjoyed and recommend:

In Santo Domingo de la Calzada: Restaurante la Cancela (Calle major right next to the cathedral)
A small, family-run place serving fresh local specialities, all carefully prepared. Contemporary, yet cozy atmosphere, very attentive and personal service. Great wine selection; don't miss the desert.
(Dinner for two, including wine, about €80-100.-)

In Santiago: Restaurante A Barrola (in the food-street rua do Franco)
A "must" if you like sea-food, if it swims, they have it. All fresh and well prepared. Good and friendly service,
relaxed atmosphere. Fair prices for what you get. You finally arrived, so give yourself a treat; about €100 to 120.- for two including wine.

Not in the same category, but deserving to be mentioned:

Rabanal, Hosteria A Cruz de Ferro. A private albergue with only one single, one double and one triple room;
very friendly hospitalera, her husband not but cooks well, for €10 no better food this side of the Cruz de Ferro.

Villafranca del Bierzo, Meson Los Ancares. Young couple running the place with a lot of engagement and a smile. Simple local dishes well cooked. (€ 50 to 70 for two)

San Paio, Hostal-Restaurante San Paio. Make it your last night-stay before Santiago and arrive there the next day for the noon mass. Exceptional meat (for Spain) and often fresh fish If you're lucky, they have a steak on the menu peregrino for € 12, otherwise € 40-60 for two.

Buen Provecho y Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would love to see your completed list. I hope you post it. Pulpo for me too, especially in Melides at Ezequial. Yumm.

Just a point of clarification please. Do you mean you are compiling a guide to share with us on the forum or to sell?
Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Excellent plan, Paul, go for it.
Two restaurants I particularly enjoyed and recommend:

In Santo Domingo de la Calzada: Restaurante la Cancela (Calle major right next to the cathedral)
A small, family-run place serving fresh local specialities, all carefully prepared. Contemporary, yet cozy atmosphere, very attentive and personal service. Great wine selection; don't miss the desert.
(Dinner for two, including wine, about €80-100.-)

In Santiago: Restaurante A Barrola (in the food-street rua do Franco)
A "must" if you like sea-food, if it swims, they have it. All fresh and well prepared. Good and friendly service,
relaxed atmosphere. Fair prices for what you get. You finally arrived, so give yourself a treat; about €100 to 120.- for two including wine.

Not in the same category, but deserving to be mentioned:

Rabanal, Hosteria A Cruz de Ferro. A private albergue with only one single, one double and one triple room;
very friendly hospitalera, her husband not but cooks well, for €10 no better food this side of the Cruz de Ferro.

Villafranca del Bierzo, Meson Los Ancares. Young couple running the place with a lot of engagement and a smile. Simple local dishes well cooked. (€ 50 to 70 for two)

San Paio, Hostal-Restaurante San Paio. Make it your last night-stay before Santiago and arrive there the next day for the noon mass. Exceptional meat (for Spain) and often fresh fish If you're lucky, they have a steak on the menu peregrino for € 12, otherwise € 40-60 for two.

Buen Provecho y Camino!
Pano. Many thanks for that. I agree, Restaurante la Cancela was a highlight for us. Many thanks for taking the time to give a comprehensive relpy. Un Saludo.
Paul

Just a point of clarification please. Do you mean you are compiling a guide to share with us on the forum or to sell?
Thanks
Many thanks dalston 999. Absolutely to share with Pilgrims. In general, food on the Camino Frances gets a raw deal it seems. Yet we found that there are some wonderful places, dishes and establishments that are worth a mention for forums like this, for the benefit of future pilgrims.
Paul

I would love to see your completed list. I hope you post it. Pulpo for me too, especially in Melides at Ezequial. Yumm.
Hi Carol06, Absolutely. I will post the full list, including favourite dishes.
Paul

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Out of the top of my head... In El Pájaro, Villafranca Montes de Oca, the menu is great, and the slightly smoked jamón serrano makes wonderful bocadillos (rolls).

La Moncloa de San Lázaro in Cacabelos is a fabulous place to eat Bierzo typical food.
In Puente La Reina I ate some of the best tripes (callos) I ever tasted, but I cannot recall the name of the place
Casa Marcelo in Mansilla de las Mulas is quite nice
In Villadangos del Páramo, in a hotel, I had a most memorable Bocadillo de calamares
In Samos, in a hotel on the left as you leave town, the meat churrasco and the cuajada dessert were extraordinary and great value.

I have ever since followed other routes, and food is much better than in the francés, undoubtedly.

Out of the top of my head... In El Pájaro, Villafranca Montes de Oca, the menu is great, and the slightly smoked jamón serrano makes wonderful bocadillos (rolls).

La Moncloa de San Lázaro in Cacabelos is a fabulous place to eat Bierzo typical food.
In Puente La Reina I ate some of the best tripes (callos) I ever tasted, but I cannot recall the name of the place
Casa Marcelo in Mansilla de las Mulas is quite nice
In Villadangos del Páramo, in a hotel, I had a most memorable Bocadillo de calamares
In Samos, in a hotel on the left as you leave town, the meat churrasco and the cuajada dessert were extraordinary and great value.

I have ever since followed other routes, and food is much better than in the francés, undoubtedly.
Many thanks for that amancio. I have to say that our favourite was at La Aldea Encantada, just outside Belorado. We stayed there on New Years Eve 2012/13.
The meal prepared by Ana the owner and her mother was superb. The following evening in Atapuerca we were the only two people staying at Papasol, and yet they were still prepared to open the inn. We were met with a bottle of champagne and choclolates in our room, ( they said, that as the first pilgrims of the new year, it was a sign of good luck for them. They prepared the most delicious main course of Riojan fish.

Paul

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back