• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A gem of an Albergue

annakappa

RIP 2024
Time of past OR future Camino
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
Last night we stayed in Villatuerta at the fairly new Albergue Villatuerta, also called La Casa Magica. Over the last 4 years I have stayed in more than 70 different albergues, but this one comes top on the list for me. It is a beautifully restored house in the centre of the village. The dorms are spacious, clean, clean, clean. The owners Miguel and his Brazilian wife, have thought of every detail and are so friendly. There is a fully equipped kitchen, cosy sitting room a charming entrance, hammocks on on a veranda, etc. etc. It is really worth staying there instead of going on to Estella 3 kms ahead. You can check them our at http://www.alberguevillatuerta.com.Anne

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I stayed there on the 31st of October last year, it was shutting for winter the next day. Felt very relaxed and comfortable, it is a good place to rest your feet.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

I stayed there in May this year and I can definately recommend it. Great place!

Petro

Just stayed there yesterday. Great albergue. One of the best I have seen. Miguel was very attentive and provided care for a lady who had bad blisters.
Dinner prepared by host was a vegetarian valencian paella. Delicious and a nice change to the usual fare of pilgrims menus.
Unfortunately, the owners seem to have some financial difficulties and there was talk of eventual closure.

If possible go and stay there to support maintaining this wonderful albergue.

Timor

Yes, please try and stay there. The owners really need your support and this is most certainly a charming Albergue. A cut above most! It's only a few Kms before Estella. If you feel like it, you can take the alternate route from Villatuerta via Luquin to Los Arcos. Anne

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Indeed this is a GEM! The Casa Magica private albergue is a 300 year old house sensitively renovated by the Spanish-Brazilian hosts! Originally grapes were crushed for the delicious local vino tinto on the rough pebble floor of today's main entrance hall. The on-going adaptation is charming. Family furniture, bits and pieces, plus Ikea basics are well mixed together. One unique feature is a shady loggia strung with colorful hammocks for siestas out of the summer sun! The dorms are comfy, the showers powerful and the large kitchen is handy for group meals. I have happily stayed here twice and hope to return in autumn.

Margaret Meredith

Thanks for posting. Now that our plane tickets are booked, important items like backpack and sleeping bag purchased, we are now starting to make notes in our Brierley guide book as to where other recommend as nice places to stay. We will try to make this one!

Should be arriving in SJP on Sep. 5th via train from Bordeaux. If anyone is interested, we got fantastic flights from the east coast of Canada. From Halifax, through Philadelphia and Dublin to Bordeaux. Return near the end of October out of Madrid via Philadelphia to Halifax. Booked through Expedia.

I heard there are lots of cats at this albergue. Is that true? If yes, do they go into the dorm room? I am highly allergic, and this rumor is the only thing that has stopped me from staying there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
nreyn12 said:
I heard there are lots of cats at this albergue. Is that true? If yes, do they go into the dorm room? I am highly allergic, and this rumor is the only thing that has stopped me from staying there.
We've stayed there twice and I don't remember any cats! Anne

Is this the same as Albergue de Villatuerte mentioned on gronze? 10euros? Do you remember the cost for the meals?
Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The main albergue in Estella is chaos personified; pilgrim chaos admittedly, but I found it too intrusive for my taste, so I tried two other albergues, and did not like them for other reasons. I retreated to a hostal on my last visit to avoid them all.

There is little in Estella to require me to stop there, so stopping short is on my next agenda. Albergues that are not in the published guide end points take a real business risk. The albergue at Mercadoiro before Portomarin is in a similar position, but the owner opened out of love of the Camino and makes a living from the lunch and beverage business. It is hard not to stop there for an Aquarius to get you to Portomarin!!

Great news about the (no) cats. I will definitely stop there the next time through. And also I will recommend it to the pilgrims who start their pilgrimages with my program. Thanks everyone for the super helpful reviews!

I just stayed here last night after a (much too) long walk all the way from Cizur Menor in the mud and rain. I want to echo all of the good things everyone else has said. Last night Miguel prepared his vegetarian paella dinner and almost every guest attended and raved about it. As I arrived late, cold, wet, and tired, I couldn't bear the thought of sitting/making conversation for another hour or two over dinner, and just showered and went straight to my bed. Simone took pity on me and brought me up some chicken soup to me in my bed! They also have a washing machine and dryer which you can use for a small fee; I paid my small fee happily, expecting to somehow summon the energy to wash and dry my clothes, but then Simone took my clothes and did my laundry for me so I could go to sleep. It really was a warm and welcoming oasis.

Unfortunately for the person who earlier inquired about cats, I can confirm that there are two cats that live in and have free roam of the entire albergue. As I have others in my family back home who are seriously allergic to cats as well (i.e. family members who have died as the result of an allergy attack brought on by staying in a home with unexpected cats), I unfortunately would encourage you to go elsewhere. It isn't worth the risk.

Everyone else should definitely try to stay here. It would be great if Miguel and Simone succeed in a way that inspires others to bring similar innovation to the albergue community.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I am trying to make reservations but have not got a response back. How long does it usually take to get a response back?

I wouldn't think there is any need to make a reservation there Rani. Majority of people will travel to Estella and stay there.

I wouldn't think there is any need to make a reservation there Rani. Majority of people will travel to Estella and stay there.
Thanks Clearskies, now I won't worry. Any suggestions of other places you like would be great. Hope to see you on the trail. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If I stick to provisional plan A next month I plan to stay at Villatuerta anyway. So thanks for the original post Margaret and also to all for latest updates on this place. Will definitely try it if plan A not superseded by Tunnel Route.

"A Gem" is an understatement, but don't tell anyone. I'm planning my walk to arrive there 11 June and have a heart to heart with Miguel. He is the "magic" at the albergue because he is a mystic. There is a small tiendra up the hill from the albergue where one can buy fresh ingredients for a wonderful dinner and breakfast. I cooked a breaded lomo cutlet, ratatouille and a salad for dinner and then did fried eggs, poitrine and the remnants of my dinner for breakfast. The courtyard is shabby-chic with hammocks and washing facilities, but like I said "don't tell anyone!"

I loved it also!

As Don wrote one unique feature is a shady loggia strung with colorful hammocks for siestas out of the summer sun! This private albergue is in a 300 year old house sensitively renovated by the Spanish-Brazilian hosts! Originally grapes were crushed for the delicious local vino tinto on the rough pebble floor of today's main entrance hall. The on-going adaptation is charming. Family furniture, bits and pieces, plus Ikea basics are well mixed together. Dorms are comfy, the showers powerful and the large kitchen is handy for group meals. ... I do hope to return someday.

Margaret Meredith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last night we stayed in Villatuerta at the fairly new Albergue Villatuerta, also called La Casa Magica. Over the last 4 years I have stayed in more than 70 different albergues, but this one comes top on the list for me. It is a beautifully restored house in the centre of the village. The dorms are spacious, clean, clean, clean. The owners Miguel and his Brazilian wife, have thought of every detail and are so friendly. There is a fully equipped kitchen, cosy sitting room a charming entrance, hammocks on on a veranda, etc. etc. It is really worth staying there instead of going on to Estella 3 kms ahead. You can check them our at http://www.alberguevillatuerta.com
Hello.
Annakappa made a mistake in the link. Here is the correct link.
Buen Camino
Jochen

On the two occasions that we stayed there, we then took advantage of taking the ancient alternate route to Los Arcos, via Luquin. This by-passes Estella and cuts across country, passing a bull raising ranch, an old hospital de peregrinos, takes you thought beautiful woods and has the most magnificent views over to Villamayor de Monjardin and the conical mountain behind. It then joins up with the newer route nearer to Los Arcos.
It's a beautiful route and the views are stunning.
So, you say, but then I'll miss Estella. The last time we stayed at La Casa Mágica, we then walked into Estella, that we already knew from older Camino's , had lunch there, watched a protest march, bought a couple of necessary items and later in the day, went back to Villatuerta by bus. Anne

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for your great information, will definetly go your route. I really enjoy reading you blogs, great information.

I loved it also!

As Don wrote one unique feature is a shady loggia strung with colorful hammocks for siestas out of the summer sun! This private albergue is in a 300 year old house sensitively renovated by the Spanish-Brazilian hosts! Originally grapes were crushed for the delicious local vino tinto on the rough pebble floor of today's main entrance hall. The on-going adaptation is charming. Family furniture, bits and pieces, plus Ikea basics are well mixed together. Dorms are comfy, the showers powerful and the large kitchen is handy for group meals. ... I do hope to return someday.

Margaret Meredith
I am really looking forward to staying here, sounds amazing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"A Gem" is an understatement, but don't tell anyone. I'm planning my walk to arrive there 11 June and have a heart to heart with Miguel. He is the "magic" at the albergue because he is a mystic. There is a small tiendra up the hill from the albergue where one can buy fresh ingredients for a wonderful dinner and breakfast. I cooked a breaded lomo cutlet, ratatouille and a salad for dinner and then did fried eggs, poitrine and the remnants of my dinner for breakfast. The courtyard is shabby-chic with hammocks and washing facilities, but like I said "don't tell anyone!"
I will be about a week and a half behind you, to bad, would have loved to have had some of that amazing meal you'll be cookin:)

Stayed there last year in August , beautiful people , lovely rooms and the walk to the bar for lunch gives you a very, very good meal.
Bar on highway , up stairs beside albergue and 6 minutes walk.
Enjoy their company and let them select wine /food ........walk back and get into hammock...........snore whilst there.

Fruit salad, cheese olives and bread for dinner with another wine from Simone.

On the two occasions that we stayed there, we then took advantage of taking the ancient alternate route to Los Arcos, via Luquin. This by-passes Estella and cuts across country, passing a bull raising ranch, an old hospital de peregrinos, takes you thought beautiful woods and has the most magnificent views over to Villamayor de Monjardin and the conical mountain behind. It then joins up with the newer route nearer to Los Arcos.
It's a beautiful route and the views are stunning.
So, you say, but then I'll miss Estella. The last time we stayed at La Casa Mágica, we then walked into Estella, that we already knew from older Camino's , had lunch there, watched a protest march, bought a couple of necessary items and later in the day, went back to Villatuerta by bus. Anne
Can you recommend a place between Pamplona and La Casa Magica, not sure if I want to walk the entire length.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can you recommend a place between Pamplona and La Casa Magica, not sure if I want to walk the entire length.
You have 3 choices in Puente de la Reina, but I've only stayed at the Albergue Jacque, which I didn't like too much. It is a bit claustrophobic. I prefer Obanos, 3 Kms earlier. The Albergue Mareletox in Ciraqui is not bad, but then it's only a short walk to Villatuerta. Anne

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

After Pamplona you climb up the Alto de Perdon eventually descending to Uterga. In Uterga the private albergue Camino del Perdon is VERY friendly with good food and fine showers. Exhausted from the Alto I have happily stayed in their albergue several times, Here is their web.

MM

Good choices in Obanos ,
No problems with Uterga
But coffee stops available in C/Minor, Zariquiequi and Uterga will get you to Obanos [ 20km] in good shape.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In the first 150km i could stay in 15-20 albergues..great little villages and sometimes big towns.
Unfortunately they are sometimes very close .......................thats why we repeat.......to try the others.

After Pamplona you climb up the Alto de Perdon eventually descending to Uterga. In Uterga the private albergue Camino del Perdon is VERY friendly with good food and fine showers. Exhausted from the Alto I have happily stayed in their albergue several times, Here is their web.

MM
How far is Uterga from Pamplona and Uterga to Casa Magica? Thank You

Pamplona to Uterga roughly 18 km climbing Alta de Perdon and Uterga to Villatuerta (Casa Magica) roughly 24 km of easy walking.

MM

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Hi Rani,

Leave not to early [7am] from Pamplona , plenty of places for a very early snack .
Lovely walk in park to C/ Menor ...5km
Start climbing now Alta de Perdon to Zariquiegui .........a 6km climb where you ****take your time**** and don't talk to fellow walkers....save your breath.
At Zariquiegui drop your backpack like everyone else and enjoy the grass around the church , rotunda in from of hall and order a drink and banana from the shop. A lovely spot to stop , many, many, many do.
From here to Uterga is 6km of easy walking and also a shop and another easy walk of 6km to Obanos.
Total **18 -19 km and arriving for a good lunch in this impressive village. It was a major junction for many camino paths.

From Obanos to Villatuerta [ Casa Magica ....on right after bridge when leaving town] is **20km of easy walking with a stopping point for anysize breakfast/meal in P La Reina, Ciraugui or Lorca.
Enjoy the ladies company , she is a special person.

Start like an old man Rani and take your time , very doable walk.

Hi Rani,

Leave not to early [7am] from Pamplona , plenty of places for a very early snack .
Lovely walk in park to C/ Menor ...5km
Start climbing now Alta de Perdon to Zariquiegui .........a 6km climb where you ****take your time**** and don't talk to fellow walkers....save your breath.
At Zariquiegui drop your backpack like everyone else and enjoy the grass around the church , rotunda in from of hall and order a drink and banana from the shop. A lovely spot to stop , many, many, many do.
From here to Uterga is 6km of easy walking and also a shop and another easy walk of 6km to Obanos.
Total **18 -19 km and arriving for a good lunch in this impressive village. It was a major junction for many camino paths.

From Obanos to Villatuerta [ Casa Magica ....on right after bridge when leaving town] is **20km of easy walking with a stopping point for anysize breakfast/meal in P La Reina, Ciraugui or Lorca.
Enjoy the ladies company , she is a special person.

Start like an old man Rani and take your time , very doable walk.
Thanks Thornley for all the great information.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back