• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Gift of Time-Ponferrada to Sarria

Susan Mark

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Due to a number of issues I find that I have more days than I need to get from Ponferrada to Sarria. I need to be in Sarria in May 12 and will leave Ponferrada on May 4.....so much time so little distance! Right now I’m considering the following stops:
Cacabelos
Trabadelo
La Faba
Fonfria
Tricastela
Samos
Sarria
I’m open to adjusting my schedule but don’t want to try O Cebreiro except in the morning.
Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated! Any places that deserve more time? Or any off track areas worth exploring?
Many thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, there's not really much to see in those places, imo.

Cacabelos DOES have the best hamburguesas on the Camino - but I dislike their municipal immensely, having run into bedbugs several times there. I'd suggest walking up a little further and sleeping at Pieros.

If I were going to spend time anywhere on that strip, it would be Villafranca

I love the municipal albergue at Vega del Valcarce, mostly for watching the elders of the community "hold parliament" at a clubhouse up on the hill.

Laguna de Castilla has a very nice albergue I've enjoyed. Sleeping here, then having breakfast at O Cebreiro, then continuing on makes a lot of sense for me.

I much enjoy the walk from Samos to Sarria, though I'm not sure about sleeping in the Monastery. A private here might be nicer.

Lots of great choices for sleeping in Sarria. I do not care for the municipal, but you'd better hurry and make reservations if you plan on a bed there - things are filling up. Try booking.com

PS: I'd also book Santiago if I were you and would NOT sleep at Monte del Gozo, myself.

Buen Camino.

Well, there's not really much to see in those places, imo.

Cacabelos DOES have the best hamburguesas on the Camino - but I dislike their municipal immensely, having run into bedbugs several times there. I'd suggest walking up a little further and sleeping at Pieros.

If I were going to spend time anywhere on that strip, it would be Villafranca

I love the municipal albergue at Vega del Valcarce, mostly for watching the elders of the community "hold parliament" at a clubhouse up on the hill.

Laguna de Castilla has a very nice albergue I've enjoyed. Sleeping here, then having breakfast at O Cebreiro, then continuing on makes a lot of sense for me.

I much enjoy the walk from Samos to Sarria, though I'm not sure about sleeping in the Monastery. A private here might be nicer.

Lots of great choices for sleeping in Sarria. I do not care for the municipal, but you'd better hurry and make reservations if you plan on a bed there - things are filling up. Try booking.com

PS: I'd also book Santiago if I were you and would NOT sleep at Monte del Gozo, myself.

Buen Camino.

Many thanks for that feedback, I admit to craving a hamburger!
I will look into making some alterations to my plan.
I have booked Sarria and Santiago.
Susan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Maybe a side trip to Lugo on the camino primitivo? I think you can take a bus from Sarria to Lugo and then walk the camino primitivo joining the frances in palas de reys again.

Due to a number of issues I find that I have more days than I need to get from Ponferrada to Sarria. I need to be in Sarria in May 12 and will leave Ponferrada on May 4.....so much time so little distance! Right now I’m considering the following stops:
Cacabelos
Trabadelo
La Faba
Fonfria
Tricastela
Samos
Sarria
I’m open to adjusting my schedule but don’t want to try O Cebreiro except in the morning.
Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated! Any places that deserve more time? Or any off track areas worth exploring?
Many thanks!
Forget a schedule. Just walk n enjoy, stop often to absorb the spirit, culture, people, and just be present. If you arrive earlier than planned use the time to hang around and indulge n rest or see other parts of the area or Spain. Don’t be pressed to get somewhere, just be where you are. Buen Camino

Casa Lixa in Las Herreiras is a lovely albergue and puts you at the beginning of the very steep climb to La Faba. The climb after La Faba is demanding but not as demanding as the climb leading to La Faba.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back