• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

a gite or reasonably priced hotel in Arles?

Time of past OR future Camino
Mozárabe-VDLP, hospitalera Grado (Primitivo) 2023
New meaning to travelling light: Ryanair has 'misplaced' my camino back pack on its London (Stansted)-Tampere route. I now have the clothes I'm wearing and three months' medication in a tiny packable day pack.

I'm due in Arles 29 August for three nights before starting the Arles route. Is anyone able to recommend a place to stay to which I can have a replacement Miam miam dodo GR653 sent, along with a bit of replacement gear?

Also the name of an outdoor firm in Arles where I can get walking poles and a new back pack?

With many thanks,
B

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bernice,

Sorry to learn of your situation.
Are you in Tampere, Finland now?

For inexpensive places to stay in Arles see this handy list from that Bureau de Tourisme

For outdoor gear in Arles try Decathlon. They are having end of summer sales now with good bargains. If you Google the terms Arles sporting goods a tiny map will appear with this and other similar shops.

Try to relax and enjoy the atmosphere wherever you might be!

Bon chemin and Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
I stayed in Arles over a bank holiday in May 2014 when many places were full, and managed to get a room in the budget hotel Balladins https://www.balladins.com/fr/reservation-hotel-balladins-arles-_R_216_8_.php It was perfectly adequate, about 10 minutes walk from the railway station.

I'm sure you can pick up a copy of Miam Miam Dodo from the excellent (and huge) Libraries Actes Sud, right in the centre of town near the river. According to their website they have copies of the Arles-Puente la Reina edition, but you might want to call them on 0033 04905677 to reserve a copy, or order the GR653 edition - I'm fairly sure many of the staff will speak English if you don't speak French. They've also got a nice bistro.

Hope you have time to enjoy Arles, it's a great city with an amazing atmosphere and some fascinating sites.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What rotten luck! There's a really lovely 3-star in Arles called D'Arlatan that may be a bit much for starting a pilgrimage, but that is so charming it might be worth it. It's in Centre Ville and has an area of glass/acrylic flooring to view an excavation site underneath that glows with amber lights. The breakfast area is on a stone courtyard. Fun to visit the bull ring and especially Les Alyscamps where there is a dovecote that sounds almost like the ocean with all the resonant warbling.

So sorry for this bit of misfortune, Bernice, and best wishes for a smooth rest of your Camino!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back