• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A GOM walking the Variante Espiritual

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
I have been hanging back from posting about my recent camino on the Variante Espiritual. Some of you might have guessed that I would do something while my wife and I were staying in Coimbra, but other than it would be along the general line of the Camino Portugués route, I wasn't sure myself what I would do. So this camino emerged, if you like, from the basics of knowing what I needed to carry, how I could manage to find a place to stay, where to eat and how to find a shop and a bar or restaurant in the evening for a meal.

I did have an outline plan of where I wanted to stay, largely because I try and limit myself to around 20 km/day now, and I still haven't fully recovered from my most recent knee surgery, at least not to the point of contemplating walking on another five or more kilometres if I cannot find accommodation. This initial plan did not survive contact with reality, but neither did I expect it to, and adjustments were made to several daily stages to the point where one might not have recognized what I did was an evolution of that initial plan.

I have to admit getting lost finding and staying on the Variante Espiritual route. I know part of the reason for this, but other than not paying sufficient attention at the right moments, I don't have a complete explanation, or at least not one that I wish to share right now. It happened on a day I had planned a slightly longer distance than I would have preferred, and by lunch time I knew that I wasn't going to reach my intended destination. So things were changed.

I think that the most disappointing thing about this was that it made me more focussed on the physical aspects of staying on track over the following days, and that detracted from the opportunity to spend time in reflection while I was walking. Even after reaching Pontecesures, when I was back on the path that I had walked last year, I still found it difficult to walk in quiet contemplation in the way that I have been able to do at the end of longer pilgrimage routes. If I contemplate doing another shorter pilgrimage, I will need to think about how to address this.

This year, I was determined to walk some of the complementary paths in addition to the Variente route. This included the river routes into Porrino and Pontevedra, and finding the 'old route' after Milladoiro. The latter was highly recommended by the owner of the cafe where I ate my one and only pilgrim menu meal, just before Milladoiro. I also tried to find a route Brierley describes in his CP guide (p. 164 of the 2020 edition) leaving Porrino. I couldn't, and ended up walking along what might have been an old alignment of the CP route close to or along the N-550 until I could find a road back to the current marked route into Mos. Both river routes were much more pleasant walks than I remember the alternatives being last year, and I would recommend them. The 'old route' past Milladoiro seems to avoid the descents and climbs of the new route, but I must admit that I don't have a clear recollection of the details of that section from last year. And at the end, I walked along the slightly longer Conxo alternative. It seemed quieter, with less traffic, but it isn't well marked.

I did meet one other forum member. We had both stopped at the same cafe in Pontearnelas and it was only when we were about to leave that we realised we shared this link. He walks much faster that I do, but I did manage to take a quick snap that looks remarkably like his forum avatar.
P4197897.JPG

I have already shared details of costs and accommodation in another thread.

If you have any particular questions about other matters, I will be happy to respond to specific questions.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been hanging back from posting about my recent camino on the Variante Espiritual. Some of you might have guessed that I would do something while my wife and I were staying in Coimbra, but other than it would be along the general line of the Camino Portugués route, I wasn't sure myself what I would do. So this camino emerged, if you like, from the basics of knowing what I needed to carry, how I could manage to find a place to stay, where to eat and how to find a shop and a bar or restaurant in the evening for a meal.

I did have an outline plan of where I wanted to stay, largely because I try and limit myself to around 20 km/day now, and I still haven't fully recovered from my most recent knee surgery, at least not to the point of contemplating walking on another five or more kilometres if I cannot find accommodation. This initial plan did not survive contact with reality, but neither did I expect it to, and adjustments were made to several daily stages to the point where one might not have recognized what I did was an evolution of that initial plan.

I have to admit getting lost finding and staying on the Variante Espiritual route. I know part of the reason for this, but other than not paying sufficient attention at the right moments, I don't have a complete explanation, or at least not one that I wish to share right now. It happened on a day I had planned a slightly longer distance than I would have preferred, and by lunch time I knew that I wasn't going to reach my intended destination. So things were changed.

I think that the most disappointing thing about this was that it made me more focussed on the physical aspects of staying on track over the following days, and that detracted from the opportunity to spend time in reflection while I was walking. Even after reaching Pontecesures, when I was back on the path that I had walked last year, I still found it difficult to walk in quiet contemplation in the way that I have been able to do at the end of longer pilgrimage routes. If I contemplate doing another shorter pilgrimage, I will need to think about how to address this.

This year, I was determined to walk some of the complementary paths in addition to the Variente route. This included the river routes into Porrino and Pontevedra, and finding the 'old route' after Milladoiro. The latter was highly recommended by the owner of the cafe where I ate my one and only pilgrim menu meal, just before Milladoiro. I also tried to find a route Brierley describes in his CP guide (p. 164 of the 2020 edition) leaving Porrino. I couldn't, and ended up walking along what might have been an old alignment of the CP route close to or along the N-550 until I could find a road back to the current marked route into Mos. Both river routes were much more pleasant walks than I remember the alternatives being last year, and I would recommend them. The 'old route' past Milladoiro seems to avoid the descents and climbs of the new route, but I must admit that I don't have a clear recollection of the details of that section from last year. And at the end, I walked along the slightly longer Conxo alternative. It seemed quieter, with less traffic, but it isn't well marked.

I did meet one other forum member. We had both stopped at the same cafe in Pontearnelas and it was only when we were about to leave that we realised we shared this link. He walks much faster that I do, but I did manage to take a quick snap that looks remarkably like his forum avatar.
View attachment 145719

I have already shared details of costs and accommodation, and don't intend to invite the same opprobrium that this received by sharing those again. I think some members need to accept that not everyone wants to or has to walk the camino as frugally as they do. While I expect members to make their own judgements about these things, there are ways of expressing those that are less offensive than others.

If you have any particular questions about other matters, I will be happy to respond to specific questions.
What is a GOM? is that particular enough? :)
(Yes, tongue in cheek, and I have to rush out now, but will be interested in your thread, just sorry you had to be halted a bit by your physical limitations...)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’m a GFSC (grumpy fifty-something chica) who walked the spiritual variant last weekend. I got lost a few times and was redirected by locals. I like these encounters 😊; allows me to use my present-tense-only Spanish amid abundant “buen Caminos” even though I often wonder how on earth I could have missed an arrow.
The variante is getting popular and there aren’t that many beds available in Armenteira on a holiday weekend (Portugal’s carnation revolution day was Tuesday - there were lots and lots of Portuguese groups taking a 4 day weekend!). I stayed in Combarro at nuestra señora albergue, which was great. Combarro is an absolute jewel of a town- unusual hórreos, interesting stone houses, lots of little restaurants with terraces overlooking the bay. Staying there let me have the steep 400+ meter hill to Armenteira all to myself in the early morning, and I had the stone and water path to myself as well since I was between the waves of hikers who stayed in Pontevedra or in Armenteira. It was a LONG 34 km day to Villanova de Arousa in the afternoon rain, but the small boat up the river was really special. I will definitely walk this variant next time.

It was a LONG 34 km day to Villanova de Arousa in the afternoon rain, but the small boat up the river was really special.
I couldn't have done that, and stopped just short of Barrantes at a bar/hostel named Os Castanos. Very old fashioned dark-panelled room, comfortable nonetheless, and a nice meal in the restaurant. The next day I walked into Villanova de Arousa. It was a rather frustrating morning waiting for the boat to depart the following midday, but the trip up the river was worth it. I walked on to Areal that afternoon, and into Santiago the next day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My husband and I waited until our sons were in their late teens/early 20s, then proceeded to prove (with evidence; 1 anecdote each) that we *became* boring and grumpy only after they came along.
The smell of incredulity... ;-)

Back on topic - husband and I want to do the Celtic/Camino Ingles in either 24 or 25. Gonna line up the CP (and perhaps Fatima) if God isn't too amused at my dreaming...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back