• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A good use of your Camino Walking Sticks!!

nalod

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2011, Finnesterre 2011,Le Puy to SJPDP 2011& 2012,Via de la Plata,Sambrasa 2012, Mozarabe 2013, Portugees 2013.PartNorde 2011, VDPL 2014,St-Guilhem 2014.Espalion-Roncesvalles 2014.Levante2015
Recently I walked the Camino Primitivo and for a few days walked with some Lithuanian ladies. Both of them were using walking sticks they had picked up along the way. We were talking about the problems of bringing them back on Aircraft. They were two "Visual Artists" and they had a simple but excellent idea of what they would do with the sticks that had helped them so well on their journey. They planned to cut them up, thus easily putting them in their backpacks and when they got got home would make them into a picture frame for their favourite Camino photograph. I thought this was an excellent idea and with a bit of flair and craft would make a lovely Camino memento.

I now pass this idea on, and thank them for their imagination. Frame for your Compestella and many other uses.!!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Recently I walked the Camino Primitivo and for a few days walked with some Lithuanian ladies. Both of them were using walking sticks they had picked up along the way. We were talking about the problems of bringing them back on Aircraft. They were two "Visual Artists" and they had a simple but excellent idea of what they would do with the sticks that had helped them so well on their journey. They planned to cut them up, thus easily putting them in their backpacks and when they got got home would make them into a picture frame for their favourite Camino photograph. I thought this was an excellent idea and with a bit of flair and craft would make a lovely Camino memento.

I now pass this idea on, and thank them for their imagination.

what a great idea (I'm assuming these were wood). They could also be cut into smaller sections to make ornaments, or key rings, jewelry...so many ways to keep a memory close...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
what a great idea (I'm assuming these were wood). They could also be cut into smaller sections to make ornaments, or key rings, jewelry...so many ways to keep a memory close...

Yes indeed the options are endless, some of the best idea's are the simplest ones, all that one has to add is imagination So no more of having to leave your sticks behind.

Walked with a man from Austria who stopped into a local woodworking shop and had them cut staff into 3 pieces and place male and female brass fittings on pieces. He could then screw the staff togeter and had his name engraved on it. He planned to give it to his son and then have his son give it to his granson so each generation would walk a Camino using the same stick.

Mine--carried it to finistere to burn as an Offering to the Sun God--no fires allowed so I threw it into the ocean --still an offerring--Remember what the Iydells Of the King says??? Tennyson is going to right one of these days.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm an Environmental engineer specializing on water---ever see a chemincal analysis for "wood" --Wood contains chemicals to deter insects and some pine woods leach out more phenols that syntetic materials. And ever read why people boycott some chocolates? Mercury is used to make the Sodium hydroxide used to make chocolate--and yes it is a bar of chocolate.

and I'm still curious whi so many hikers mentioned having parasites--worms--while on the Camino in September. should have done what we did in the Army--tablespoon of leaded gasoline.

Staff made a hole in the ocean but I think it healed by now.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
and I'm still curious whi so many hikers mentioned having parasites--worms--while on the Camino in September.

??? That is the first time I hear about that ???

Still, you have, very elegantly, evaded my question what kind of walking stick you actually throw into the water ...

SY

??? That is the first time I hear about that ???

Still, you have, very elegantly, evaded my question what kind of walking stick you actually throw into the water ...

SY

probably chocolate ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
or mercury :confused:

Regarding this and for all concerned getting mercury intoxication when eating lots of chocolate on the Camino, have a look at this: http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Sodium_hydroxide

Happy chemistry reading, SY

Pretzel! Brezel! "....poached in a boiling sodium hydroxide solution before baking, which contributes to their unique crust"

There go my beloved Laugenbrezeln. All us Brezillas love that crust.

I am amazed and slightly bemused where my innocent thread on the use of walking sticks is going. I think they have found another set of legs and are going in many different directions other than been framed on someones wall. Ah well "Se la Vie"

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am amazed and slightly bemused where my innocent thread on the use of walking sticks is going. I think they have found another set of legs and are going in many different directions other than been framed on someones wall. Ah well "Se la Vie"
oh come on, about 500 posts and 1500 likes, you're no stranger to this rodeo...when has a thread ever stayed on track?:rolleyes:

Good ol' lye!!!! I'm a fan of lutefisk so no stranger to sodium hydroxide (that should be rinsed out before the final prep). So the bacalao you had on a pilgrims menu might have been preserved that way too! And to bring us back to walking sticks, I do like the idea of having them cut and threaded for reuse on other Caminos.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Walked with a man from Austria who stopped into a local woodworking shop and had them cut staff into 3 pieces and place male and female brass fittings on pieces. He could then screw the staff togeter and had his name engraved on it. He planned to give it to his son and then have his son give it to his granson so each generation would walk a Camino using the same stick.

Mine--carried it to finistere to burn as an Offering to the Sun God--no fires allowed so I threw it into the ocean --still an offerring--Remember what the Iydells Of the King says??? Tennyson is going to right one of these days.
Tsk tsk....adding yet more garbage to our oceans

Be careful that they rinse your Pulpo off before you eat it. They add Dihydrogen Monoxide when boiling it.

Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide
http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Absolutely correct, it is just about everywhere and in everything and you hardly can escape it plus its dangers and longterm risks are woefully under-researched! Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
but how would I avoid Dihydrogen monoxide contamination in the rinse...or are you suggesting I use CH3CH2OH for the rinse?
You won't need the rinse from the pot if the pulpo is rinsed with a 12% solution of this during consumption. Watch for after-effects though; it can lead to delirium and unconsciousness.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
but how would I avoid Dihydrogen monoxide contamination in the rinse...or are you suggesting I use CH3CH2OH for the rinse?

Yes, but you have to do it right! Never rinse the Pulpo directly with CH3CH2OH, instead take a healthy dose of it after every 2-3 pieces of Pulpo. As @Rick of Rick and Peg has stated a 12% solution of it is a good guideline, side effects might increase if the solution is too strong are the recommended dose exceeded.
Also beware of CH3CH2OH offers that are >40% strength, take only very small dose of that one and preferably after the meal.

Buen Camino, SY

Yes, but you have to do it right! Never rinse the Pulpo directly with CH3CH2OH, instead take a healthy dose of it after every 2-3 pieces of Pulpo. As @Rick of Rick and Peg has stated a 12% solution of it is a good guideline, side effects might increase if the solution is too strong are the recommended dose exceeded.
Also beware of CH3CH2OH offers that are >40% strength, take only very small dose of that one and preferably after the meal.

Buen Camino, SY
Perhaps a loading dose, taken prior to cooking and serving, would also be in order

I have a fridge magnet with exactly that prescription - I love cooking with 12% CH3CH2OH solution, sometimes I even put it in the food ;-) SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Be careful that they rinse your Pulpo off before you eat it. They add Dihydrogen Monoxide when boiling it.

Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide
http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Thanks for the info!
I thought about going vegetarian, or even vegan, to avoid DHMO, but that does not appear to be possible.
Most people are not aware of it, but there may even be DHMO in an everyday cup of tea or coffee.
Proper warnings should be given!

I have a fridge magnet with exactly that prescription - I love cooking with 12% CH3CH2OH solution, sometimes I even put it in the food ;-) SY
that is on a clay plaque hanging in my pantry:)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back