• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Google Maps question

peregrina2000

Staff member
I think it’s been a while since I asked a tech question, so in case you had been missing them, here is one.

I don‘t use google maps for GPS tracks when I walk, but I do like to have it to check on places to stay, etc. Somehow, a blue route showed up on my google maps. I do vaguely remember looking at a website that had this route posted (for driving, not walking) but I never knowingly transferred it to my google maps.

I’ve attached a screen shot in case that helps some tech wiz figure out what I must have done, and more importantly, how I can remove it from google maps.

Many thanks! 119A445B-95EC-45ED-91A4-F8575B33426A.png

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In the very top left corner, hit the left facing arrow. On the next screen, you should be able to erase the destination ( and the origion if not your current location) telling maps not to suggest a route like it is now.

In the very top left corner, hit the left facing arrow. On the next screen, you should be able to erase the destination ( and the origion if not your current location) telling maps not to suggest a route like it is now.
I wasn’t clear, sorry. I’ve removed the route I had requested, and what is left is the driving route that somehow made its way onto my google maps.

7C8D4A70-61CA-4679-B893-A2776E30588E.png

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Yes, now it's clearly puzzling. Not being an ios guru, I cannot speculate. Somebody will have seen this before.

@Rick M s advice will get rid of the thick blue line towards the south and the thinner loop that goes further north and takes longer to travel. I am slightly curious why Google offered this Northern route and tried for directions between the same two destinations myself and got the same answer and so assume that there is something about the Southern route that tends to have some people avoid it

I am, also, very interested in the thin blue line that disappears off to the left of the top of the map. I wonder if that will also disappear when you follow @Rick M s advice?

Edit: Ah, as I suspected, something else lurks below in the form of the thin blue line.

Clear everything out of the Google Maps search bar and click on Saved on the bottom of the screen.

Then, if necessary, scroll up (down if that is your terminology) until you see Maps. On the bottom right corner then click that.Screenshot_20220815-141435~2.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Then click on Maps and delete the top file that you see.
Edit: I was in a hurry because I had other things to do earlier and so this advice above wont work on a phone. If you use a PC then you can delete it although this is a long-winded process. If you can live with this for a couple of weeks then my advice below is easiest but if that does work for you then PM me and I will walk you though deleting it.

Or

You can ignore the blue line and it will eventually disappear. It may take days or weeks but it will go.

Last edited:
I am slightly curious why Google offered this Northern route and tried for directions between the same two destinations myself and got the same answer and so assume that there is something about the Southern route that tends to have some people avoid it
The map in question shows routes for driving not for walking, see top left under 2 destination points there's a car sign marked in blue. If you want walking routes you press the human figure icon. Also there's option for public transport.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I actually have been able to do this on my phone, and I brought up a list of maps (none of which I ever intentionally saved!). But I try swiping across and it will not delete. Thank you to the patient techhies on the forum!
What I think has happened is that you were looking at a website for this area and the website offered to provide a map. You agreed and it has downloaded this map file to your phone.

All good, no real problem. The issue is that Google Maps on the phone does not have any facility to delete these files.

If you know your way around IOS then you should be able to find this file and delete it via IOS. It will probably have a name related to the area of the map and end with .kml or .kmz

I don't know my way around IOS and so it is probably easier for someone else to help you find and delete the file.

Alternatively, you mentioned that there were other files showing up when you clicked on maps. What you can do is click on one of those other files. When you do that, Google Maps will display that file instead.

Which means that this file will seem to disappear (because Google Maps only displays one file at a time). Of course, it also means that something else will show up BUT being a map it will show up in the geographic area of the map that it occurs.

Depending on what the other files are showing, if you choose one in the USA for example then nothing will bother you while you are in Spain.

Ideally you will have a file that shows something in Outer Mongolia and so it wont ever be a problem 😻

Great suggestions, thanks! I have about 20 maps saved there, one of which is a walk around the Acropolis and the other is a ”Sydney camino.” So they will be just as good as having a map from Outer Mongolia.

I was very happy to learn that I have the entire Geira on my google maps and have no idea how it got there. Always happy to have a backup.

Thanks for the instruction on google maps, @DoughnutANZ

What I think has happened is that you were looking at a website for this area and the website offered to provide a map. You agreed and it has downloaded this map file to your phone.

All good, no real problem. The issue is that Google Maps on the phone does not have any facility to delete these files.

If you know your way around IOS then you should be able to find this file and delete it via IOS. It will probably have a name related to the area of the map and end with .kml or .kmz

I don't know my way around IOS and so it is probably easier for someone else to help you find and delete the file.

Alternatively, you mentioned that there were other files showing up when you clicked on maps. What you can do is click on one of those other files. When you do that, Google Maps will display that file instead.

Which means that this file will seem to disappear (because Google Maps only displays one file at a time). Of course, it also means that something else will show up BUT being a map it will show up in the geographic area of the map that it occurs.

Depending on what the other files are showing, if you choose one in the USA for example then nothing will bother you while you are in Spain.

Ideally you will have a file that shows something in Outer Mongolia and so it wont ever be a problem 😻
Btw, when you saw that list of map files when you followed my instructions for viewing them and saw the other map files then the file at the top of that list is this particular file that you are trying to remove.

This is because Google Maps always moves the file that it is displaying to the top. Knowing this might help you find the correct file.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.