• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Great Experience

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have walked 3 Camino ( Frances, Portugues de la costa and the Sanabres but the this evening I have had the best experience of my Camino . I have had the honor of meeting a member of this forum. This evening I have had a couple of beers with Shefollowsshells. And tomorrow I shall show her the alternative way out of Bilbo towards Las Arenas and to the Puente Colgante and then Portugalete. If she decides to stay in Portugalete I shall walk with her from there to Castro Urdiales. If she decides to carry on to Castro tomorrow and not stay in Portugalete then it has been a great pleasure having met her.

This is my first experience meeting someone from the forum in real life if anyone else wishes to have a chat while enjoying a beer do contact me.

Ondo Ibili !

I sir am the lucky one!!!!
How fortunate for me to get to meet the Camino guru of wonderful information! You have always impressed me by your generous sharing of information and knowledge especially living in this area! I look forward to our walk tomorrow, true pilgrim spirit you have, I have been blessed to get to meet you!
Thank you for taking the time to meet , to answer my many questions and to share some special routes that maybe only a local could know!
Buen Camino!!!!

Not only have I shown Shefollowssheels the way out of Bilbo but I´ve gone all the way to Portugalete as well:)

I must admit it has been a great experience for me and would´t mind repeating it again with any other forum member

who will happen to pass by this neck of the woods either.

Ondo Ibili !

MendiWalker,

I have a Perfect picture of you (the shepherd)forming in my mind as I read your messages.

You may be taking bookings in the future. I can't think of anything nicer than to meet a family friend from the forum., in the middle of a Camino.

Also, Buen Camino ShefollowsShells, it's great keeping up with you on your journey.

Annie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
MendiWalker,

I have a Perfect picture of you (the shepherd)forming in my mind as I read your messages.

You may be taking bookings in the future. I can't think of anything nicer than to meet a family friend from the forum., in the middle of a Camino.

Also, Buen Camino ShefollowsShells, it's great keeping up with you on your journey.

Annie
Annie he us just that a wonderful shephard, I feel so fortunate that I got to meet him, many people here opened my eyes to the Norte, but when I first inquired I wrote some of their responses in my guide book....his was, "don't let anyone change your mind", and it played in my head when I doubted myself.
Mendi's knowldege does not just scratch a surface....he lives this Camino spirit and so practical with advice!
Anywho off to bed, stopped one town early if Castro -U ....could not make it as it was getting dark....but at a wonderful spot. So tired but thrilled!!!!

Our Gerr here on the forum is doing great too!!!!
he had to go ahead but just heard he is doing GREAT!!!!!!....awesome fella as well, so fortunate to meet both of these forum gents on this trip, class acts!!!!

Hi again ShefollowsShells ,
Just like you were, I am contemplating which route, but El Norte is looking good, or part and primitivo. Have only both ends fixed at moment (in and home flight) so 'camino is my oyster' at the moment.

Reading your messages so far though, and those behind you, it does seem challenging , but I suppose, having walked a couple before, I can now read into this, 'challenging but each person should take it at his own pace' and not try to keep up with what has been achieved by others. Sounds fabulous
I remember the bitter/sweet of seeing only 100km to go - 'but' the mixed feelings that brought.

Soak up every smile you see and put them in your pocket - enjoy you hard earned rest each night and I hope you meet many more characters along this path. You have a lot of 'characters' with you here on the forum too - so you're not alone anytime.

Buen camino
Annie

Gracias MendiWalker
Another modest man

I will remember to look you up for a cafe con leche if (when) I get there

Annie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have walked 3 Camino ( Frances, Portugues de la costa and the Sanabres but the this evening I have had the best experience of my Camino . I have had the honor of meeting a member of this forum. This evening I have had a couple of beers with Shefollowsshells. And tomorrow I shall show her the alternative way out of Bilbo towards Las Arenas and to the Puente Colgante and then Portugalete. If she decides to stay in Portugalete I shall walk with her from there to Castro Urdiales. If she decides to carry on to Castro tomorrow and not stay in Portugalete then it has been a great pleasure having met her.

This is my first experience meeting someone from the forum in real life if anyone else wishes to have a chat while enjoying a beer do contact me.

Ondo Ibili !

I am in Zamudio tonight. I plan to be in Portugalete tomorrow. Maybe we shall meet.

Ultreya,
Joe

MendiWalker, hope to meet you in September. My husband and I will be arriving in Bilbo on 9 September and then catching a bus on 10 September to Irun to start our Camino. I hope we meet you along the way.
Lesley and David

I am walking with a young Englishman. We are staying at hotel Aisia between an Industrial Park and a College about 1 km from the church, off the Camino. I am not sure where the train even is in Kamudio. We plan to walk to Portugalete. It might be a better or more convenient, to meet in Bilboa or Portugalete. Timing could be an issue and you would have come a long way to miss us.

Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The main issue for us might be leaving time. Tomorrow it is supposed to be warm. Will probably start earlier than 9:00. That said, I would like to meet you for a beer or. Maybe we could meet closer to where you live? Plan to walk the shorter route, on the North side of the river to Portugalete. My Spanish number is + 34 692 577 471.

Joe

What a great thread. Will keep this in mind when I return in a few weeks. I loved the CN in '10 and fully looking forward to another enjoyable journey.

¡Salud!

This morning I´ve met my second peregrino from this forum - jpflavin1. We met just as he and a young English peregrino were near the Basilica of Begoña.
We walked down the Calzadas de Mallona , passed the peregrinos office into the old part of town. We passed by the Puerta del Angel the door by which the peregrinos entered the cathedral in Bilbo. Then off to a coffee. After which the three of us walked along the river passing the town hall, Guggenheim, Duesto University, Euskalduna Palace, the "Cathedral" San Mames (the home of the Athletic de Bibao) , the building with the panther on the roof and upon arriving at the IMQ ( medical center) I pointed the the yellow arrow and pointed the way to Portugalete and its curious bridge.

I was a short walked but no less a pleasure having met both of them. :) I hope they have a great time and enjoy their Camino.

Beautiful sunny weather today 26º C

Ondo Ibili !

Mendi (Mike) Walker:

Thanks for taking the time to meet up with us and show us your beautiful city of Bilbao. It was an enjoyable walk and late breakfast. We are now enjoying pinxtos and Clara in Portugalete.

If you do not mind, could you post briefly the directions you stated today on the route to Castro Urdiales.

Hasta Luego
Joe

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wow, this is a great description. Can visualize nearly every step here and laugh at following the yellow arrow "...it will take you nowhere". It was true for me 4 years ago. I'll make sure to keep the above in my notes.

Yes, we found the tunnel and I tried to tell some of the others I was walking with about it but they didn't come!

Thanks Mendiwalker I took note of your advice on leaving Bilbao too and no problems. Wow! Seems so long ago now.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Arrived in Bilbao this afternoon. Now relaxing in hostel which was a quick find. Not sure where I will end tomorrow but most likely past Portoguete. Have made some great connections and always looking to meet and walk with others. Whew, this is amazing!

As I said above, let me know when you pass by and if my work allows me we could have a coffee or even walk a stage of the Camino ( this offer is
open to all forum members)

Ondo Ibili !

Hi Mike,

I will start my Norte late Aug/early Sept, and would love to have a coffee/beer (depending on time of day ;-) ), a talk and if you want, a walk together! How will I get in touch? Through the forum I suppose?

Cheers, Martin

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back