• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Great Kindness in El Ganso

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
September 21, 2021, a week or so after I injured my left ankle, I was still (stupidly) trying to walk as much as possible and to stick to my planned itinerary.

I set off from Astorga that fine morning wearing compression wrap on my foot and using (first-time ever!) Nordic trekking poles. They didn't help much. The foot was complaining by the time I passed the Ecce Homo chapel.... And by the time I got to El Ganso I was a wreck....

I staggered into the nice restaurante next door to the (closed) Cowboy Bar, got a cold drink, and asked the manager about bus service from El Ganso to Rabanal. "Oh , yes! In fact, there will be a bus along any minute now! Hurry! Hurry!" He pointed me to the rear entrance to his restaurante, and to the small quiet plaza beyond.

Twenty/thirty long minutes passed.... Nothing.

An elderly local man on a near-by bench watched me sitting there. He finally came over and said "Good morning..... Are you alright?" I explained the situation. He said, "You've been misinformed, Father. There will be no bus today." We chatted pleasantly . "I suggest this," he said. "I will drive you to Rabanal in my car. And you will pray for me at the shrine of the Apostol."

He did, and I did. ... Deo gratias.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
September 21, 2021, a week or so after I injured my left ankle, I was still (stupidly) trying to walk as much as possible and to stick to my planned itinerary.

I set off from Astorga that fine morning wearing compression wrap on my foot and using (first-time!) Nordic trekking poles. They didn't help much. The foot was complaining by the time I passed the Ecce Homo chapel.... And by the time I got to El Ganso I was a wreck.... I staggered into the nice restaurante next door to the (closed) Cowboy Bar, got a cold drink, and asked the manager about bus service from El Ganso to Rabanal. "Oh , yes! In fact, there will be a bus along any minute now! Hurry! Hurry!" He pointed me to the street on the side opposite from the Cowboy Bar, and I went out.

Nothing. Twenty/thirty long minutes passed....

An elderly local man on a near-by bench watched me sitting there. He finally came over and said "Good morning..... Are you alright?" I explained the situation. He said, "You've been misinformed. There will be no bus today." We chatted pleasantly . "I suggest this," he said. "I will drive you to Rabanal in my car. And you will pray for me at the shrine of the Apostol." He did, and I did.

Deo gratias.
Beautiful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"I suggest this," he said. "I will drive you to Rabanal in my car. And you will pray for me at the shrine of the Apostol."
What a deal.
Win-win.
On the camino we're blessedly far from the poisonous zero-sum mentality that's taking over the world.

This is what is meant by “Santiago works / helps in strange ways…”

Camino magic, this sort of serendipity happens regularly on all the Camino routes. It testifies to the Divinity lurking in each of us.

It also reminds me of the gospel reading for today, 31 October - All Hallows’ Eve (aka Halloween), and the 30th Sunday in Ordinary Time for Catholics and many others. In this passage from Mark’s gospels, an overly clever person tries to trip Jesus up by asking him which are the greatest, most important commandments.

He replies (paraphrasing here): “Love God with all your mind, heart and soul. This is followed by the second greatest commandment - love your neighbor as yourself.”

The provocateur was disarmed by this. End of story.

Not trying to go religious in this thread. I am just stating this to support the basic “golden rule” nature of most pilgrims I have met over the thousands kilometers of various Camino routes. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

It is a fact. There are Camino angels everywhere and everyday. Be kind and generous to all you meet. It ALWAYS comes back to you - very much like karma.

I speak from direct experience. Also, this is how I try to live my life daily, even when not on Camino. It really does make life easier and filled with more satisfaction.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ah, what a great story! This is the first thing I read this morning, and what I read is always special to me! Lovely! And tsk, tsk, Rappahanock-- you should NOT be on that foot, and I hope you're much better now. So glad you were on Camino, good sir.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A wonderful report from the Camino. Thank you for sharing, And you headed to Ramanal where Isabelle in Albergue de Pillar provided a safe haven to me for four days with much tenderness snd care while I recovered from an injury. I hope that wonderful village affords you the same.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is what is meant by “Santiago works / helps in strange ways…”

Camino magic, this sort of serendipity happens regularly on all the Camino routes. It testifies to the Divinity lurking in each of us.

It also reminds me of the gospel reading for today, 31 November - All Hallows’ Eve (aka Halloween), and the 30th Sunday in Ordinary Time for Catholics and many others. In this passage from Mark’s gospels, an overly clever person tries to trip Jesus up by asking him which are the greatest, most important commandments.

He replies (paraphrasing here): “Love God with all your mind, heart and soul. This is followed by the second greatest commandment - love your neighbor as yourself.”

The provocateur was disarmed by this. End of story.

Not trying to go religious in this thread. I am just stating this to support the basic “golden rule” nature of most pilgrims I have met over the thousands kilometers of various Camino routes. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

It is a fact. There are Camino angels everywhere and everyday. Be kind and generous to all you meet. It ALWAYS comes back to you - very much like karma.

I speak from direct experience. Also, this is how I try to live my life daily, even when not on Camino. It really does make life easier and filled with more satisfaction.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Tom, I am hoping you meant 31st October....

I set off from Astorga that fine morning wearing compression wrap on my foot and using (first-time ever!) Nordic trekking poles. They didn't help much. The foot was complaining by the time I passed the Ecce Homo chapel.... And by the time I got to El Ganso I was a wreck.... I staggered into the nice restaurante next door to the (closed) Cowboy Bar, got a cold drink, and asked the manager about bus service from El Ganso to Rabanal. "Oh , yes! In fact, there will be a bus along any minute now! Hurry! Hurry!" He pointed me to the rear entrance to his restaurante, and to the small quiet plaza beyond.

An elderly local man on a near-by bench watched me sitting there. He finally came over and said "Good morning..... Are you alright?" I explained the situation. He said, "You've been misinformed, Father. There will be no bus today." We chatted pleasantly . "I suggest this," he said. "I will drive you to Rabanal in my car. And you will pray for me at the shrine of the Apostol."

What a lovely story. I had a similar experience this past October. I also injured my foot and in O'Cebreiro, I met a Spanish woman named (no kidding) Maria del Camino. Maria who is in her 50's is taking time off to dedicate herself to helping pilgrims in distress along the Camino. She drove me to Filoval and the next day to Triacastela. At the same time, she was taking care of LLuc, a writer from Majorca with also an injury. She drove him to the airport. Maria drives along the Camino and sometimes has to sleep in her car out of which she has taken the back seats. What a wonderful memory. Maria and I hope to travel around Europe together someday. The Camino is full of wonderful memories. Back home, my hiking companion and I were able to help a young man from Jamaica who was quite lost and very stressed in Toronto. He said we made him shed tears of joy. Someday you will have the opportunity to help someone, we told him. Kindness is to be passed on. Another time, I was able to pay the 2 euros for a woman who had no change (just a 20 Euro note) on the bus to the airport. The driver told her she would have to get off the bus. I will miss my flight, she said, in great distress. I will pay for you, I said. And as I did it, I remembered that someone had done that for me once when I arrived from Europe to Canada and had no change for the bus downtown Toronto...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I set off from Astorga that fine morning wearing compression wrap on my foot and using (first-time ever!) Nordic trekking poles. They didn't help much. The foot was complaining by the time I passed the Ecce Homo chapel.... And by the time I got to El Ganso I was a wreck....

I staggered into the nice restaurante next door to the (closed) Cowboy Bar, got a cold drink, and asked the manager about bus service from El Ganso to Rabanal. "Oh , yes! In fact, there will be a bus along any minute now! Hurry! Hurry!" He pointed me to the rear entrance to his restaurante, and to the small quiet plaza beyond.

That does it. I'm getting a priest's collar.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.