• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A growing concern.

Love this, so true. Have to sing it from the roof tops! I'm leaving SJPDP on 30th April for my first camino. When do you leave andywild?
Hiya Bindy, I am booked into Orisson on 18th bit will be walking slow and occasionally getting sidetracked.. keep an eye on my blog which I'll be updating daily once I'm there. Or find me on here... I'll be around :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hiya Bindy, I am booked into Orisson on 18th bit will be walking slow and occasionally getting sidetracked.. keep an eye on my blog which I'll be updating daily once I'm there. Or find me on here... I'll be around :)
i’m at Orisson on the 19th. Maybe I’ll see you down the road.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Really helpful to read this. I will start my first camino in 28 days in SJPDP and my wife already says: "It's time for you to start. All your talking an preparation begins to get annoying." :)
But I better don't tell her, that this might get worse after the camino. :eek: My family will join me in SdC and maybe it helps if they walk one of the final days with me.
Today I did another training walk over here in Germany where we have many St. James' Ways. And one man I met asked me, if I were a pilgrim. Not yet was my answer. But he started talking to me about the way from Porto to SdC he was planning to go in May. So I met another addict.:cool:

Really helpful to read this. I will start my first camino in 28 days in SJPDP and my wife already says: "It's time for you to start. All your talking an preparation begins to get annoying." :)
But I better don't tell her, that this might get worse after the camino. :eek: My family will join me in SdC and maybe it helps if they walk one of the final days with me.
Today I did another training walk over here in Germany where we have many St. James' Ways. And one man I met asked me, if I were a pilgrim. Not yet was my answer. But he started talking to me about the way from Porto to SdC he was planning to go in May. So I met another addict.:cool:
Sounds like you will be a couple of days behind me. Hopefully will get to meet up and have a chat over a glass of red or two :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So, it's roughly 4 weeks until I set off on my CF and I've noticed that I increasingly seem to be slipping it into conversations at an alarming rate.. it started by telling family and friends but now seem to be telling random strangers at any opportunity..

Barbers having a beard trim.. "going anywhere nice this year?.... Well, now you mention it..."
Walking the dog and bumping into other random dog walkers invariably ends up with a description of my coming adventure..
Am I becoming a Camino bore? Is it just me or has anyone else found themselves waffling on to old ladies at bus stops who are probably more interested in getting home in time to watch EastEnders on the telly?
I would have more questions to ask on this subject but I've just seen Marjorie from number 74 walk past and think I'll catch her up for a chat.
People are generally very happy to hear a plan.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So, it's roughly 4 weeks until I set off on my CF and I've noticed that I increasingly seem to be slipping it into conversations at an alarming rate.. it started by telling family and friends but now seem to be telling random strangers at any opportunity..

Barbers having a beard trim.. "going anywhere nice this year?.... Well, now you mention it..."
Walking the dog and bumping into other random dog walkers invariably ends up with a description of my coming adventure..
Am I becoming a Camino bore? Is it just me or has anyone else found themselves waffling on to old ladies at bus stops who are probably more interested in getting home in time to watch EastEnders on the telly?
I would have more questions to ask on this subject but I've just seen Marjorie from number 74 walk past and think I'll catch her up for a chat.
Caminocating!!!! That's what my fellow pilgrim's wife calls it when we slip into all of the "remembers" of our walks!

Mate my good friend Jose Piner a Spanish born pilgrim doing his 6th Camino in May from the house he was born in South West Spain and now living in Melbourne Australia told me when I completed my CF last year that I would be talking to everybody when I got home and after five minutes they would become disinterested in your walk. Only a fellow pilgrim willl rave on with you for hours, and in saying that I am writing this outside the Kings Park cafe in WA about to join the Australians on the Camino gathering every last Sunday of every month. We are going to see off Susan Morris who will be followed by a film crew with six others three Aussies and three Kiwi sheep shaggers ( affectionate name) have fun and don’t get too depressed when you get home, it passes Buen Camino

From a 6, soon to be 7 time offender, a word of warning for the 2018 rookie class. If there is anything in your closet that you think you value now, give it to a trusted friend before leaving home. The fact is, you will soon learn that everything you truly need to be happy fits in a 33 liter backpack, with room to spare. Truth is, for a summer Camino, 22 liters is plenty. Drives my wife almost as crazy as my telling her this time I've finally walked it out of my system. Only to begin planning the next one within 30 days of my return.
Buen Camino.
T-minus 10 days until I feed my addiction once again.
peace & love

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Marylynn, I blame you; the first person I encountered on Camino, back in 2014, who shocked me when you said you were on your #...Camino. Kidding...people do this more than once? Love sandi, heading out on # 4 , Francis/San Salvidor/Primitivo , May/18. Chance of seeing you?

Happy to take the blame! This year is #8, Pamplona to SdC, mid-April/May. Hope to see you on the trail! I will be in touch! I will walk the CF as long as I am able!

So glad to find out I'm not losing my mind after all. My Camino starts on Sept 5th THIS YEAR! It was just over 2 years ago that the decision was made to go, ever since I have been researching gear, reading anything I could get my hands on then as a consequence of all the research and reading re-thinking and further researching in different, lighter, better, cheaper/dearer options. I have tried to keep the obsession under control but as the time draws near I have given into it and read and plan at will. I do admit to being aware of how often I hear myself say anything Camino related to others not as obsessed/interested as I am for fear of seeing them duck into doorways if they see me coming.
The gear I have gathered so far along with my lovely Kelty backpack is spread out on a bed in our spare room. Only here, to all of you, will I admit to popping my head in the door at least once a day to look at it all in eager anticipation of the journey ahead.

My name is Sharon, and I am a Camino addict. I have found the best way to avoid the glazed look from family is to take them with me. My 19 year old granddaughter went with me May last year and wants to go again. My daughter would not even look at my on line photo album until she walked with me September last year now she asks for pictures. It is getting a little expensive taking family so I might have to take out a loan to take my work buddies too. Mmm the forum is looking better....and cheaper for Camino talk by the way did I tell you I am walking leaving May 8 to walk the Camino Francis, a 72 year old woman, alone. My life has already begun changing just planning the Camino as I face past hurt... I can go on .....
........ forever... expect updates

I talked so much about the camino...two of my kids decided to come with me. They don't even like walking...but they have turned into addicts also...

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Also a "Camino Addict" here. I am a 67 year old woman setting off on my own from SJPdP on May 8th as well. Maybe we'll see each other there! Buen Camino!
Hi Victoria. Hope to see you Victoria. However I don't leave Seattle until May 8 and will spend a few days in Pamplona before starting out so hopefully we will see each other along the way.
Also a "Camino Addict" here. I am a 67 year old woman setting off on my own from SJPdP on May 8th as well. Maybe we'll see each other there! Buen Camino!
Hi Victoria, I hope we run into each other but I don't actually leave until May 8th. I will be starting from the Camino Baztan and will be in pamplona on May 13th and Uterga on the 14th . Najera on May 18. You will know me because I am the woman with the sunflower on her pack and on my cap.

@andywild - it's all out now, and I blame you. I'd kept it to myself for so long I had to rush into closets when someone asked me about my plans for this year. The darkness was helpful, but often there'd be tapping on the door and voices asking me why I was mumbling, which made the situation frightfully tense, especially if I didn't own the closet or if there were brooms in there. Brooms are blabbermouths. And sometimes those voices I though were outside the closet were actually in my head, though I just took the green pills and it all went away. BUT then you had to write this post. And now the cat is out of the baggage, which in someways is a good thing because it helped cut down the pack weight. But still, now I blather endlessly, and I even find myself prancing. Wild Andy, you've done me in. But at least now my voice is free to try octaves only surgery can assist with. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It appears that the floodgates have opened.. embrace your new found freedom, and embrace the person you are telling (it makes it harder for them to escape if you have them in a bear hug) I personally haven't experienced any prancing moments but then again I didn't bottle up my tales of what's to come. On the plus side I hear that prancing is very good exercise (prancing muscles are usually very under-used) and will stand you in good stead for your upcoming ambulations.

The gear I have gathered so far along with my lovely Kelty backpack is spread out on a bed in our spare room. Only here, to all of you, will I admit to popping my head in the door at least once a day to look at it all in eager anticipation of the journey ahead.[/QUOTE]

Duh....doesn't everyone do this? LOL My growing little Camino pile is like a shrine.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So I go again in September......and I just can’t slip it into conversation anywhere. A little voice in my head keeps saying, “They won’t care” and I find myself asking them questions about their life.
I haven’t told the friends we were going to walk with (but who pulled out).
I haven’t told any other good friends.
I haven’t been to the hairdresser since before Christmas.
I certainly haven’t told the postie.
I almost told the members of my milk co-op but just ended up asking if anyone could swap my turn to go to the farm - and no one asked why, which validated the voice in my head ;-)
All power to you talkers, I just can’t join you!

Today I caught myself showing someone a photo of my rucksack on my phone...

Normal person getting phone out.."here's a photo of my kids"...

Me wrestling phone from pocket... "Wait til you see this rucksack.."...
When you know how much things weigh to the ounce or gram and you quote this off to people you know it’s incurable.

When you know how much things weigh to the ounce or gram and you quote this off to people you know it’s incurable.

i agree @tomnorth. Wild Andy must be teetering on 'incurable'. I suggest we stow a rock or two in his backpack - that'll make him doubt himself, and that might just jog a synapse or two and throw him out of the cycle. Or at least give him something else to talk about, viz "Who the heck put these rocks in my backpack?"

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
i agree @tomnorth. Wild Andy must be teetering on 'incurable'. I suggest we stow a rock or two in his backpack - that'll make him doubt himself, and that might just jog a synapse or two and throw him out of the cycle. Or at least give him something else to talk about, viz "Who the heck put these rocks in my backpack?"
For best effect each (sizable) rock must have a message like "I can't make it. Please leave this rock for me at the cruz de ferro in loving memory of my brother. Thanks."

I'd go after Marjorie from 74 right now :)

My sister in law who lives in another city sent me a whatsapp message yesterday saying "Flight Centre has specials for Spain. I don't remember when you are going again, but you surely are going again, right?"

In terms of chatting, I'm lucky of hitting camino jackpot: married a guy ho loves to travel, walk and is so excited about talking Camino-stuff as I am :D
I,too, was very fortunate to meet and marry a guy who loves everything I wanted to try. The family who walks together,stays together

Cheese and onion pies are quite heavy, can you not sneak then into my pack instead of stones? I promise I'll be just as confused.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Whew, I'm not the only one...

Family is now wondering why I have been to Spain every year since 2014. Will be doing the Primitivo this fall. I have talked a high school friend & his wife I have not seen in more than 25 years to join my wife and I for a spring 2019 Camino and on it goes.
It's an addiction for sure.
20106492_1773971889561444_5591561951369280478_n.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back