• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Guarda to Baiona

Knox

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte 17
Starting from Porto Sept 27. We have planned to keep our daily km to between 20 and 25km. A Guarda to Baiona is about 30 km but the walk looks beautiful. Our question is " How difficult is the trail along this section to walk And would we be pushing ourselves to hard? Thanks for any info

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is indeed a beautiful walk between A Guarda and Baiona. It isn't a difficult section but if I recall correctly there is a lengthy stretch of walking on an asphalt path along a busy highway into Baiona - safe but long. The coastal views to your left though are absolutely stunning. You could break up the day and stop midway in the lovely little town of Oia. There isn't an albergue in Oia but the Hotel A Raina is a wonderful place to stay.

As noted by @Theatregal there is a long stretch on a road. The road runs right beside the ocean, so it is pretty nice. There is also a fairly wide pedestrian/bike path on the ocean side, so it is not too dangerous in terms of cars. At one point before Baiona the yellow arrows will cross the road and apparently take you over some hills. We decided to stay on the road and headed for lunch on the patio of the Hotel Atlantico (?) which we could see up ahead on the hillside. It's a great patio with beautiful views over the ocean. After lunch, we continued along the coastal road into Baiona. When in Baiona, we met two peregrinas that had followed the yellow arrows. They said that it had been a pretty strenuous walk up through the hills, and they were actually going to take a rest day in Baiona because they were pretty shattered.

We broke it up by going A Guarda to Oia, and then Oia to Baiona. Other than the above, I don't recall any difficult sections. It makes for a couple of short days, and there is not much to do in Oia, but it is a very pretty place, and good for a long lunch with a few glasses of wine as you rest and look out over the ocean.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So I would describe this section generally as rugged coastline bordered by rugged hills and you walk in between mainly on asphalt with great views of both. There is quite a bit of sea side coast walking out from A Guarda but a couple of kms short of Oia and it's mostly walking alongside the road. I also stopped overnight at oia (casa puertas)...but i had started at Caminha. I also stayed on the coast rd for the last few kms into Baiona ....as it was raining I missed the arrow for the last inland stretch. I found any day of near 30km an effort but i was not a fast walker and apart from that one day of rain I was walking in a heatwave...so had to stop quite bit. But if you start early ...
The sunny photos are out from A Guarda...the rainy ones...towards Baiona from Oia.

Attachments

• WP_20170612_023.jpg
    WP_20170612_023.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • WP_20170612_025.jpg
    WP_20170612_025.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • WP_20170613_002.jpg
    WP_20170613_002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • WP_20170613_005.jpg
    WP_20170613_005.jpg
    997.3 KB · Views: 39
Yes you can do it as stated above it's a beatuiful coastal walk which is relatively flat and easy except for short climb to Baredo which is also stunning. You can stop for refreshments in Oia at Casa de Henriqueta or the bar there El Puerto and in Mougas at Porto dos Barcos or Costaverde. Mougas has two Albergues Aguncheiro or further on Camping Mougas where you can also stop for a drink before the climb to Baredo. Download Luis Freixo's maps of the stage at www.caminador.es

We’re hoping to walk that way next year.

Maybe a stop over near Viladeuso?

Sheena

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for all this info. Starting the 20th and all of this answers a lot of Q's for me.

Same comments as above, except I got caught in a very heavy rain the day I walked it last year and found a bus stop about 5kms from Baiona for shelter just about the time a bus arrived. So I luckily had and option to skip the final bit on pavement.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back