• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Gudiña - Accommodation Help Please!

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Hello, now I need your help ;-)

Tomorrow I will arrive in A Gudiña and looking at many, many comments in Eroski and Gronze the albergue there is known since a long time as a 'bed bug castle'! Any recent experiences? Any tips for other accommodation options? I am happy to pay a bit more and avoid to catch chinches ;-)

Buen Camino! SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Greetings from the Caminho Portugês Central!
The problem with chinches was from this summer when I was there. Assume resolved since then.
Lovely stages await you!
Buen Camino!

Same here @SYates
It was summer 2015 and I was warned for the bedbugs and on that exact date when I went through A Gudina the muni albergue was closed due to fumigation. That's all I know although I've heard two days later that albergue opened its doors.

Ultreia!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've stayed there a couple of times (in the late autumn, most recently in 2014) and never had any problems. Very nice albergue, I thought. The Restaurante Óscar (on the road back towards Padornelo) does a great menú - it was heaving with workmen when I got there, always a good sign. I think they also have rooms if you really want to avoid the albergue.

There were bed bugs end of June (I actually saw them) so I booked us in a small hotel, across the main road,opposite the road that leads to the albergue. Sorry, can't remember more details (my blog was lost when the site closed down at Christmas...).
It's a modern albergue so easy to clean, I am sure it has been done by now and it'll be fine.

Tomorrow I will arrive in A Gudiña and looking at many, many comments in Eroski and Gronze the albergue there is known since a long time as a 'bed bug castle'! Any recent experiences? Any tips for other accommodation options? I am happy to pay a bit more and avoid to catch chinches ;-)

Buen Camino! SY

SY, You are making good progress. When will you get to Santiago and how is the weather?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There were bed bugs end of June (I actually saw them) so I booked us in a small hotel, across the main road,opposite the road that leads to the albergue. Sorry, can't remember more details (my blog was lost when the site closed down at Christmas...).
It's a modern albergue so easy to clean, I am sure it has been done by now and it'll be fine.
I also stayed at that hotel and it was really great - the staff were so kind and when I left (2 nights) I went to thank them they gave me a grand farewell - would definitely stay there again just for old times sake - will be going through there in mid May - bed bugs are the worst thing ever but so far have never had that problem on my previous 3 Camino s - stayed at the hotel as I intended to stay longer than 1 night
Buen Camino

Buen Camino! SY

In 2013 we didn't like the look of the Albergue (packed) and we stayed in pleasant Hostal Madrilena on main road as you walk into town 35E double.

In the end none of us wanted to take the risk and we shared a room in Hotel BrumaII (60 Euro/3 people) which was clean, free of chinches and had a big bathroom. Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Current reports on the APOC Facebook page (27 March 2016) of live bedbugs in the Municiple Albergue in A Gudina. This is not good news for this albergue or the ones downstream.

So we were saved, just spoke with a neighbor here in Laza and she confirms also that pilgrims coming from A Guidiña complain of bed bug bites also this year. Buen Camino sin chinches, SY

Hotel Oscar is a weird little place. The bar downstairs is full of hunting trophies of rather small deer, the TV is on the hunting channel and there is a framed newspaper clipping of Franco. The meal was good at the time but both of us got the trots from it. We were there because the municipal was being fumigated and was closed. You did the right thing!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Current reports on the APOC Facebook page (27 March 2016) of live bedbugs in the Municiple Albergue in A Gudina. This is not good news for this albergue or the ones downstream.
I walked through A Gudina last summer and many locals told me that it's a constant problem with bed bugs in that muni albergue (same with Mombuey I was told). They all think the main problem is hospitalero but that might be also a local "political" issue...
Best to plan slightly different stages (Lubian - Campobecerros or Laza) and avoid it. Or stay in private accommodations. There are also hostal before Lubian in Padornelo, hostal in Sta.Maria de Vilavella before A Gudina and if I remember correctly CR in A Venda do Bolaño with exquisite views towards Verin.

We were in a gudina 9 days ago and saw bedbugs in the albergue. We quickly moved to hostel la Madrilena which was nice. Have seen to further bedbugs on the way since and we have always stated in albergues.

I walked through A Gudina last summer and many locals told me that it's a constant problem with bed bugs in that muni albergue (same with Mombuey I was told).

Oh, that's correct, your comment reminded me of the albergue in Mombuey where I luckily wasn't bit, but some other pilgrims were. Their legs had been chewed to the bone! ... OK, not entirely, but anyway, there were buuuugs. I wouldn't put my foot across that doorstep if I was on the Plata, yuck!!

/BP

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh, that's correct, your comment reminded me of the albergue in Mombuey where I luckily wasn't bit, but some other pilgrims were. Their legs had been chewed to the bone! ... OK, not entirely, but anyway, there were buuuugs. I wouldn't put my foot across that doorstep if I was on the Plata, yuck!!

/BP
Hola, BP,
I see you'll be on Primitivo this year. Any exact dates?

Hola, BP,
I see you'll be on Primitivo this year. Any exact dates?

Oh, thanks for asking K1,

But I haven't bought my ticket yet. Been so lazy. In fact I think I'll do it right now. So yes: CamDe Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo. I'll book my flight for Madrid to arrive June 24 and start strolling the following day. Unfortunately I don't know when I will get on the Primitivo, if I ever get there. Towards the middle of July?

Oh, thanks for asking K1,

But I haven't bought my ticket yet. Been so lazy. In fact I think I'll do it right now. So yes: CamDe Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo. I'll book my flight for Madrid to arrive June 24 and start strolling the following day. Unfortunately I don't know when I will get on the Primitivo, if I ever get there. Towards the middle of July?
Oh, that's too late for me if I'll be able to go this year anyway. Via de Bayona, CF, Salvador, Primitivo, CF, Fisterra is my plan. Return home from SdC around June 15th...
Next time ;)

Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back