A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

A Gudiña to get a new albergue

Raggy

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2017, 2018, 2019
The Xunta has announced an investment of around €300,000 to convert the Casa de la Viúva in A Gudiña to an albergue. As far as I can tell, the building is currently used as a tourism office.

I imagine that these plans were formulated some time ago. But given the current situation, I'm struggling to see how this is the best use of money. A Gudiña has an existing municipal albergue and several private accommodations. I think €300K could be put into some programs to help a range of camino businesses to get through these lean times...

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
The Xunta has announced an investment of around €300,000 to convert the Casa de la Viúva in A Gudiña to an albergue. As far as I can tell, the building is currently used as a tourism office.

I imagine that these plans were formulated some time ago. But given the current situation, I'm struggling to see how this is the best use of money. A Gudiña has an existing municipal albergue and several private accommodations. I think €300K could be put into some programs to help a range of camino businesses to get through these lean times...
As long as I can remember the albergue in A Gudina was notorious for bedbugs in several reports here and on other Camino sites. Twice I passed through the town the albergue was closed for fumigation and also all the hospitaleros before A Gudina warned me not to stay there if possible. It was Xunta albergue so I can't see how the changing of location could improve it???

Raggy

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2017, 2018, 2019
Notoriety is harder to clear than bugs. In Nov. 2017 I was told that the infamous infestation was a thing of the past. Sept. 2019 was also fine.
With its concrete walls, steel furniture, and plastic-covered mattresses, it strikes me as a comparatively inhospitable space for bedbugs.

Antonius Vaessen

Camino(s) past & future
2015-2016 VdlPlata - Sanabres
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
I stayed there in 2015, one of my friends was bitten by a bedbug. The hospitalero took immediate action. Exactly a year later the Albergue was temporarily closed probably for fumigation. This being said I have to agree with Raggy. The Albergue is clean and indeed seems an inhospitable place for bedbugs

Camino(s) past & future
Frances x5, Portuguese VdlP12, Sanabres, Aragones, Norte,Salvador,Primitivo, VdlP 17,Madrid18Norte
I had no choice but to stay there in early October 2017 as all the private accommodation was full,mainly with construction workers . Was very pleasantly surprised. No sign of bedbugs either.

Damienw

Mr
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francais 2018

Camino VDP / San Arbres 2019

The old albergue was relatively new in an upscale residential square ( just after the railway bridge?).

I suspect they are unlocking this higher residential value to create local jobs on both sites.

Raggy

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2017, 2018, 2019
The old albergue was relatively new in an upscale residential square ( just after the railway bridge?).
I suspect they are unlocking this higher residential value to create local jobs on both sites.
I don't remember that there was an upscale and a downscale end to A Gudiña. If anything, I'd have guessed that the residences near the albergue were rather ordinary, but it's a fair bet that real estate values and construction projects and support for politicians had something to do with this decision.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 321 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 369 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock