• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Guide to Effective Water Filtration

davebugg

A Pilgrimage is time I spend praying with my feet
Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2018, 2019, 2025
This guide is meant to be a broad overview of the issue of water safety and treatment while walking. This will be especially applicable for those with immune systems that are compromised by virtue of medical treatments or disease.

Due to word length limitations, and personal interest in the information, I have divided the post into two distinct posts.

Part One is background information about why filtration might be needed and when it is not needed. In general, normal immune systems require no filtration for water in Europe, and Spain's water meets the highest standards for treatment of public water systems.

Part Two specifically talks about the various types of portable water treatment systems and how they function. For those who just want this information, skip Part One and go to 'Part Two' posted below.

The types of water treatment systems referred to here, are those which are lightweight, very compact to carry, and are typically used for wilderness backpacking. However, they can also be effectively used for vacation travel and for walking a camino.

I am being purposefully sparse in scientific geek-speak and literature overviews in order to give those who are interested in the topic a place to start their own research. When specific equipment is mentioned, including things which I personally use, it is not a iron-clad recommendation; it is only a nod that that piece of gear works as intended. As can be seen from the many discussions surrounding gear choices - from shoes to backpacks to water container types - each individual will find what device or technique has the features and functions that suits their own unique, personal needs.

Part One

Why and When Water Filtration is a Good Idea

As someone who has made a career within Public Health at a government health district, I will note that the infrastructure for safe drinking water in Spain is easily the equivalent of any other EU country and other modern, western nations. In general, Spain's drinking water is very safe, and even safer than some other 1st world nations.

I never routinely filter my drinking water when in Spain. There is simply no need to do so. The purpose of this guideline is NOT to imply that the Spanish drinking water supply is questionable.

As can happen in every other first world country, there may be very infrequent and unexpected and temporary outbreaks of waterborne pathogens from unintended and isolated contaminations that are introduced into the water system. These can occur within a small locale in any nation with good and sanitary water treatment systems.

These unusual cases are usually caught quickly, and notifications are issued to residents and others with advisories to boil or disinfect drinking water until the contamination issue is corrected. Again, this happens in every modern, 1st world nation.

Immune System Function

The normal immune system allows us a wide tolerance for the unintentional and unnoticed intake of germs and microorganisms. This enables us to safely consume limited concentrations of pathogens or parasites in food and water. Our immune systems can effectively deal with this intrusion and keep us from becoming ill. If it didn't, we would be sick from food and water on a fairly frequent basis.

Standards of food preparation, storage, and water sanitation are designed to reduce, not eliminate, the level of germs and microorganisms below the threshold concentrations that would make us sick. It does not normally require the complete sterilization of those things we consume.

When we become ill from food or water or from directly touching contaminated environmental surfaces that then transfer pathogens to our mouth, nose, or eyes, it is because we have had contact with a concentration of the bad stuff that is higher than what our immune systems can handle to keep such exposures from becoming an illness or disease.

Immune System Deficiencies

The tolerance for germ exposures by a normal immune system can sometimes overwhelm those whose immune systems are compromised or not fully developed. For example, this is the reason why it is a good idea to not give honey to a child under 1 year of age.

Honey may be a carrier for spores of Clostridium Botulinum bacteria (botulism) as the result of dirt and dust which frequently contaminates honey. If present, the concentration of those spores is limited and the toxins at very low levels. The spores do not multiply in the honey. For adults and older children, that spore concentration is easily handled by the immune system and is of no real consequence. Infants and young children haven't yet 'matured' their immune systems enough to handle even that low spore concentration.

As with all geographic areas in the world, untreated water sources in Spain - - like surface waters (rivers, lakes, and streams) - - should be thought of as always at-risk for various bacteria and parasites. Viruses are far less frequently an issue in the wild. Heavy metal and chemical contamination may also affect surface waters, but those are not usually an issue outside of industrial and urbanized areas.

If filtration for non organic substances, heavy metals, and chemicals is vital there are filtration devices that can do the job. These usually involve additional filters that take the water through progressive stages of filtration.

For example: for pesticides/herbicides and pharmaceutical by-products, the most common way of portable filtering would be an addition of activated charcoal filter for chemicals. The addition of an activated charcoal filter will also improve the taste of the water.

For the type of backpacking mini-style filters talked about here, there are activated charcoal cartridges that easily attach to the main filter with tubing. Once the water has been filter for sediments and pathogens in the main filter, it then passes thru the activated charcoal cartridge. Then the fully filtered water flows into the drinking container.

Please note that these cartridges still have limited ability to completely filter out all traces of heavy metals compared to the larger home-style units that use reverse osmosis filtration. So the best strategy is to not use these portable filters or devices to filter water within urbanized and industrial areas.

As Camino pilgrims in Spain, we often see Fuentes (fountains) as we walk. Most times they are labeled as potable (drinkable) or non-potable (not specifically treated, or it is suspect). There are various Spanish words or emblems that indicate a fuente has water that is non-potable/drinkable. Learn them. Non-portable water can be effectively filtered for pathogens if you absolutely need the water.

Immune Deficiencies and Filtration vs Purification

There is a second issue to consider with regard to drinking water, as mentioned above, and that is the unique issue of the individual who is immune compromised due to either illness or genetics or age (very young or very old), or who are receiving certain medical treatments and medications. While normal individuals in reasonable health can and do safely consume water that is not absolutely and completely free from pathogens, the same consumption can mean severe illness or death to those with immune systems which are dysfunctional.

For these individuals, it is sometimes recommended to always filter water, and in certain cases, to add chemical treatments as well. OR use purified bottled water when traveling . . . even in 1st world countries.

For at risk individuals, routinely purchasing bottled water is an option. However, even for immune compromised individuals, water filtration can be a great solution that is less expensive than bottled water and far more flexible when dealing with diverse or limited water sources.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have never used, or seen a fellow Perigrino with a water purification device. I am intimately familiar with the methods proposed, due to backcountry hiking experience (drinking from streams). Get what you’re saying tho, it’s for immuno-compromised individuals ONLY. Maybe include that in your title?

I have never used, or seen a fellow Perigrino with a water purification device. I am intimately familiar with the methods proposed, due to backcountry hiking experience (drinking from streams). Get what you’re saying tho, it’s for immuno-compromised individuals ONLY. Maybe include that in your title?
Thanks, Damien. I made an edit to include some additional text. It will now mention that point again in the post. Separately, it was already part of the post that I mention how I never filter water myself when doing a camino. :)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My one purification device, which is light and convenient to carry, is a packet of tablets which I acquired as part of a Red Cross emergency kit. I keep them in an external pocket on the waistband of my pack which also contains a cup of water and a variety of flavourings to make the taste of the water more drinkable. Also lots more water in the external pack pockets, which I cannot reach without removing the pack. Convenience and taste are important, as I seldom feel thirsty. I have never used the tablets, but may need to do so some day.

Many may be familiar with the cartoon of an old prospector crawling up to a water hole surrounded by the skulls and bones of cattle. That water hole may be poisoned by dissolved minerals. I don't think water filters and purifiers can help you with this water. So I would stay away from water near agricultural fields as it may have too much fertilizer to be considered safe to drink.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A Guide to Effective Water Filtration
Part Two . . .

What Are the Treatment Options for Water?

Purifiers vs. Filters

Purifiers are not the same as filters. If your medical or personal situation is one where a purifier is needed, check the product information.

An Important Note: Some manufacturers will use the term 'filter' to mean a method of removing odd tastes and some level of minerals (hard water) from drinking water. Brita is one such labeled product. These do NOT filter biological pathogens, chemicals, heavy metals at al. Do not use these types of 'filter' to make water safe to drink; they will not do that job to ANY degree.

Filters:

This type of treatment system mechanically pushes water through an actual filter media, straining out bacteria and protozoa based on the size of those pathogens. Some, but not all filters will eliminate viruses. Keep in mind that the need to eliminate viruses is rarely needed, unless traveling to certain undeveloped, third world regions of the world.

Filters work by forcing water thru 'pores' in the filtering media. Because parasites/protozoa, cysts, bacteria, viruses, etc. have specific sizes, the goal is to have a 'pore' or 'hole' size that is too small for the organism to fit through, but which will still allow water to pass. Think of how a strainer works when you are rinsing dried beans under running water.

Contaminated water goes in on one end, then comes out clean at the other end.

There are subcategories of filtering devices (gravity fed, pumps, hand forced or squeezed, etc.) which I won't get into. They all work on the same 'strainer effect' principal. They only differ on how they apply force to squeeze water through the filtering media.

So, what is the ideal 'pore' size to look for? I look for a a pore size that is stated to be no larger than 0.1 microns in size.

All of the bacteria (e Coli, salmonella, cholera) parasites, cysts, and protozoa (amoebas, giardia, lamblia, cryptosporidium) are larger than 0.1 microns, and thus cannot pass thru that size of a pore. Most of those organisms I mention above are larger than 0.5 microns.

Most viruses that may exist in contaminated waters are smaller than 0.1 microns in size, but viruses are not usually a significant issue unless you are traveling to third world areas, so I do not focus on that level of sanitation for the developed world.

When large amounts of water are not needed - - for example, in campsites with multiple people - - I have listed below some examples of filters that are easy to use, easy to maintain, compact and lightweight, and which will quickly produce plenty of drinkable water for one to four people. Again, this is not a complete list, but simply a selection of those filters which are highly recommended, proven effective, and have good quality control in the manufacturing process. If you are shopping for filters, then compare the specifications of those listed below to any other brand or model to assure that they will be effective.

• Sawyer Mini
Katadyn BeFree
Sawyer Micro
MSR TrailShot
LifeStraw Flex

Purifiers:

These are devices which work to eliminate all viruses, bacteria, parasites, cysts, and protozoa. This level of sanitation is often a good idea if you are traveling in areas where waterborne viruses are a problem. As stated above, this is not really an issue in 1st world nations, unless flooding or other natural disasters have impacted the water system infrastructures.

Types of Purifiers
There are three broad categories:

• Mechanical filters
• Chemical agents
• Ultraviolet devices

Mechanical

These filters are bigger and heavier than the type of filters previously discussed above. The reason for this is the much smaller pore sizes in the filtering media that are needed to eliminate viruses. These pores are so small that it takes a much larger filtering surface to get a reasonable amount of water flow within a reasonable amount of time.

Katadyn is the pioneer in these purifier devices, and it is the brand that I rely on when I am in the suck. . . along with chemical agents as backup.

Chemical

This process relies on the addition of one or more chemicals being placed into a container of contaminated water. In some instances, the water temperature can greatly affect the both the time it takes for the water to be disinfected, as well as the amount of chemical that must be added to the container.

Please note: some chemicals are more effective than others, especially if water is cloudy or discolored or very cold. For all the chemicals, there is a waiting period that must be observed in order for disinfection to occur, which is unlike mechanical filtration which produces immediately drinkable water.

Here are a few of the most popular and effective types:

Aqua Mira
Potable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide Water Purification Tablets
Katadyn Micropur MP1 Purification Tablets

If you are looking at chemical disinfection, then compare the active ingredients of those chemicals listed to other brands. Also, carefully read the package directions in order to use the chemicals properly to achieve full disinfection.

Devices

This is a unique category that relies on technology to zap water. These devices are based on introducing the UV spectrum into the container of water, pressing a button, and letting enough time elapse to blast the nasties ability to reproduce to oblivion. Yup, it doesn't necessarily kill the little do-bads, it keeps them from ever having little do-bads. UV light works by damaging the organisms’ DNA, which kills or deactivates them. The light works on all major classes of waterborne pathogens—protozoa, bacteria and viruses.

I am unabashedly prejudiced against, and hateful of these things. Why? Because they rely on powered technologies which can and do fail. They also may not do a complete job.

If the water is silty, murky, muddy or discolored, the light does not penetrate as far as it should. Particles in the water can shield the pathogens from the light’s effects, like a sunblock that helps with sun burn. if the water is silty, murky, muddy or discolored, the light does not penetrate as far. Particles in the water can shield the microbes from the light’s effects. As a result, your water may not be nearly as disinfected of the pathogens as you think it is.

I know not just from the literature but from experience. Failures with the device happened to me when backpacking in an area with limited water access. Do you know how long it takes to boil 2 liters of water over a fire in a 1/2-liter mug as water sanitation backup plan? When testing other devices in colored and cloudy waters, and then having samples lab tested, there was a percentage of samples that had surviving pathogens.

These devices are quick and simple to use. If water temperature and color are good, the can kill all biological contaminants. They are light and compact. Just make sure you have a Plan B if technology decides to up-chuck all over you. Here are a few of the better rated devices that have been around for a while now:

The Katydyn Series of UV Water Purifiers

This is the only brand that I feel confident enough to mention. Katydyn has a proven track record. I have tested a variety of other brands as they entered the market, but so far I am not impressed. Other manufacturers will come up with a version of the technology and then down the line, they disappear and can no longer be found. And there are many Chinese produced Katadyn knock-offs that are rebadged and labeled for a variety of 'brands'.

Special Mention I want to talk about the nearly 2 pound /907 gm 'CrazyCap 2.0 UV Water Purifier which has been popularized by Efren Gonzalez. Efren does influence the gear choices that some new and experienced pilgrims make, so I decided to spend some time looking at this specific water treatment device.

When using the lab at the Chelan-Douglas Health District to run samples of various stages of water contamination and condition, the CrazyCap 2.0 had a significantly higher rate of viable pathogens after following the instructions for use when treating water than with the various Katydyn models available.

This assessment was based on sampling water over a wide variety of conditions that one would typically encounter when backpacking. I also know that there are situations when planned water resupplies are not there, leading to desperation when one runs out of water and any standing water source needs to be treated prior to hydration. The capacity for carrying treated water using only the CrazyCap can require a more frequent stop to resupply water during warm and hot weather, or with vigorous exertion.

This can be remedied by using the CrazyCap 2.0 to do multiple water treatments in order to fill supplemental water bottles. That does take a bit of time to do, and it does deplete the battery with each treatment. So, perhaps a useful strategy is starting the day with an additional 1 liter of water in a separate bottle, then when empty, dumping the treated water from the CrazyCap into the empty bottle. As you reach a water resupply that might be iffy and can't wait, fill the CrazyCap and treat. Wash, rinse, repeat.

My personal assessment is that a major issue contributing to this is that the built in energy storage seemed to affect the intensity of the UV generation. . .As the charge state of the battery decreased, the amount of UV output appeared to decrease as measured from inside the closed bottle. For cloudy water, this is a big problem as you need far more intense UV radiation to overcome the interference from particulates.

I think Efren discussed this in a video when he said that for such conditions, he first sill mechanically filter water for sediments. If someone mechanically filters cloudy or off colored water first, THEN uses a freshly charge CrazyCap 2.0, this should effectively treat water. OR, if the unit is freshly charged and clear water is filtered in Spain from fuentes, it will also work sufficiently.

After spending time using and testing the CrazyCap 2.0, it is a device that I would not use myself. For me, it is just too costly, too heavy for the capacity it can hold, requires too much fussiness with assuring a high level charge state, and creates too many doubts about its effectiveness past a fresh charge level.

So, that is the overview. I do hope that helps sort out some questions and provides some useful guidance for those wishing to pursue purchasing a water treatment system for backpacking or a camino pilgrimage.

Oh, one more thing. . . If using mechanical filters, do not put contaminated water into your drinking container (bottle or bladder). If you do, the nice clean water will become contaminated. Always use a collapsible bottle to capture contaminated water, and a clean container to filter the treated water into. I will use a permanent marker or label to clearly identify the dirty container form the clean container. Red for 'dirty' water, Blue for 'clean' water.

Last edited:
I appreciate the inputs from those who replied. Please note that I used these comments to do an large edit to the original post. I also divided the original post into two separate parts because of the word count limits.

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

My one purification device, which is light and convenient to carry, is a packet of tablets which I acquired as part of a Red Cross emergency kit. I keep them in an external pocket on the waistband of my pack which also contains a cup of water and a variety of flavourings to make the taste of the water more drinkable. Also lots more water in the external pack pockets, which I cannot reach without removing the pack. Convenience and taste are important, as I seldom feel thirsty. I have never used the tablets, but may need to do so some day.

Hopefully my new edit will further highlight using chemical treatment for water vs mechanical filtration a bit more than it was previously. Thanks for the reply. :)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Always use a collapsible bottle to capture contaminated water, and a clean container to filter the treated water into. I will use a permanent marker or label to clearly identify the dirty container form the clean container. Red for 'dirty' water, Blue for 'clean' water.
Thank you once again Dave.

I've found that the caps on the mylar squeeze and storage bags that are used with Sawyer filters can be replaced with the caps on standard 2 liter soda bottles. I've saved a collection of these caps in various colors. I use white for the filtered water bottle and black for the untreated water. It is a good idea to label the bag also so you don't get mixed up and put the wrong cap on a bag. I may do that some day.

A little tip on filling the bag with the untreated water -- if you happen to bring a boxed milk or juice with you (or wine) cut it open to be like a scoop and collect your water with it to pour into the bag. It is much easier to collect the water that way then repeatedly dunking the bag into a water source and then holding it up. When we had an extra carton on the Appalachian Trail once we had many ultralight hikers wanting to take it from us.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.