• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Guitarist NOT on the Camino

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
It'll come as a surprise to none that my amigo Richard Durrant will not be making his Bicycle/Guitar pilgrimage from St Mungo's in Orkney to Santiago this Autumn (Fall). It won't surprise many that local, community, Arts Centres are under the cosh.

This is not a funding request. I just thought it was rather lovely. So, for those who like this sort of thing here is a link to Richard, and the brilliant Howard Beach, performing the Concierto di Aranjuez live at my local community owned, community run Arts Centre.

See you all on the other side of this. Stay well. Stay safe.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My favorite concerto! I have to admit I wasn’t sure how I’d like it just with piano and guitar instead of a full orchestra, especially the second movement with its typical horn, bassoon, oboe, etc. solos, but I thought it was really beautiful. I do not think there is another piece of music that conveys yearning and melancholy as well as that movemnt, at least not that I have heard. Thanks for posting it, Tinca.

That was excellent tinca.
Simply performed, melodic, precise.
Thank you ever so very much.
Regards
Gerard

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Brings joy. And a touch of Spain. Lovely.

I'm just heartbroken for all the people in the arts whose livelihoods have collapsed due to this pandemic. Almost all are dependant on specific purpose contracts and arrangements. Here they have received no support from Government which seems fixated on commerce and businesses with regular employees. Yet it is the arts that are keeping us all sane, let alone bring us pleasure and joy. Where would we be present without music, books, art, films?

Excellent! Unusual to listen to / see this classic piece performed by a virtuoso guitar player standing and wearing a casual dress with buttoned-down shirt and yellow suspenders :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How lovely....thankyou for sharing this with us. Blessings.

I love Richard's work and his commitment. Thank you.

Thank you for this, tincatinker! I wasn't so sure how I'd feel about the non-trad guitar for this piece, but the timbre improved for me when I watched it with higher quality earphones on my laptop instead of my phone. And it was fun to see this performed stripped down in a smaller, more casual venue with just a deftly played piano for accompaniment. I could see making this a trio with, say, a flute too. [Edited to add a PS: Does anybody know what kind of guitar that is? Is it a Solomon Imperial?]

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow, thanks Tincatinker! That bog oak guitar is something!
I still haven't found out yet what guitar he played for Aranjuez but he uses it again to play Asturias (also linked to it on his website):

Having tried to learn classical guitar in my youth, I was overwhelmed by the camera work in the first movement. The angle chosen was perfect - a view of both hands from below so that the movement of the fingers of the right hand were visible, along with the perfect alignment of the wrist. Then the ability to really focus on the left hand and see how phrases were played from different fret positions and the subtle tone variation that made. It was quite an inspiration. I was disappointed that this superb technical view was not sued so much in the next movements.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.