• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino A Hard Fall and Amazing Kindness

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept-Oct 2016/July 2018/Sept-Oct 2022
This morning I left from Acebo to Ponferrada. It has been raining, there is distant thunder, and generally gloomy yet lovely. There was even a rainbow in the sky as I was leaving town.

On one of the rocky, steep, downward rocky paths that was fill with rushing water, I slipped, turned my knee very badly, and crashed into the rocks. Standing up was almost impossible. I tried a step, the leg simply gave out, and I crashed again. I have never had any type of physical injury, problem, etc., so this added to the real fear. Believe it or not, I tried one more time to at least back my way down only to have my leg give out.

Then along came amazing people. Vincent and his wife are from Spain. They would not leave me. First, they gave me a pole to see if that would help and it seemed to. I begged them to go on, I would be fine. They did ... but then came back. Vincent said he simply was not going to go until he was sure I was safe at the bottom. As we inched our way, Jose and Roseanne from New Jersey came along. They, too, were not going to leave me until I could get to a place for a taxi.

This is already getting long so I apologize but man oh man. I am a caregiver by profession yet have never cared so much or went to such lengths to help a stranger ... in the rain, on a rocky hill. Jose even made sure I had money for the taxi. I couldn't help but cry once I was on my way into Ponferrada and the hospital. Which, by the way, examines peregrinos free of charge. More kindness.

I did not get anyone's contact information nor did they get mind, sadly. So please, if you are Vincent or Jose or Roseanne or meet them along the Camino, please tell them I would love to connect with them. Thank you, too, for your kindness in reading this very long post! I really needed to be knocked on my ass in order to be fully humbled by all that is the Camino, the people of Spain, and the kind walkers along the way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am sorry, @FChristopher1. And how is the knee now?
This is not the kind of thing you were imagining for the day when you started in the morning...and...you are obviously finding the golden lining of the clouds.
This is the Camino. It brings out the best in all of us. And now you have the joyful task to find a way of paying it forward.
:)
Take care of yourself and buen camino, peregrino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m so sorry you took a fall, but how wonderful to be helped by a threesome of Good Samaritans. I hope your injury doesn’t keep you off the trail long.
Thank you! It is definitely going to be interesting to see where the Camino takes me now. One thing is for sure ... in spite of the pain, gratitude is the overwhelming feeling. Lots to work out!

This morning I left from Acebo to Ponferrada. It has been raining, there is distant thunder, and generally gloomy yet lovely. There was even a rainbow in the sky as I was leaving town.

On one of the rocky, steep, downward rocky paths that was fill with rushing water, I slipped, turned my knee very badly, and crashed into the rocks. Standing up was almost impossible. I tried a step, the leg simply gave out, and I crashed again. I have never had any type of physical injury, problem, etc., so this added to the real fear. Believe it or not, I tried one more time to at least back my way down only to have my leg give out.

Then along came amazing people. Vincent and his wife are from Spain. They would not leave me. First, they gave me a pole to see if that would help and it seemed to. I begged them to go on, I would be fine. They did ... but then came back. Vincent said he simply was not going to go until he was sure I was safe at the bottom. As we inched our way, Jose and Roseanne from New Jersey came along. They, too, were not going to leave me until I could get to a place for a taxi.

This is already getting long so I apologize but man oh man. I am a caregiver by profession yet have never cared so much or went to such lengths to help a stranger ... in the rain, on a rocky hill. Jose even made sure I had money for the taxi. I couldn't help but cry once I was on my way into Ponferrada and the hospital. Which, by the way, examines peregrinos free of charge. More kindness.

I did not get anyone's contact information nor did they get mind, sadly. So please, if you are Vincent or Jose or Roseanne or meet them along the Camino, please tell them I would love to connect with them. Thank you, too, for your kindness in reading this very long post! I really needed to be knocked on my ass in order to be fully humbled by all that is the Camino, the people of Spain, and the kind walkers along the way.

PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE?!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am sorry, @FChristopher1. And how is the knee now?
This is not the kind of thing you were imagining for the day when you started in the morning...and...you are obviously finding the golden lining of the clouds.
This is the Camino. It brings out the best in all of us. And now you have the joyful task to find a way of paying it forward.
:)
Take care of yourself and buen camino, peregrino!

Thank you
PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE?!!
Thank you for asking! I am fine though will not be able to walk for a few days. This may be the end of my Camino for now, I am not sure. The doctor will examine me tomorrow. That being said, kindness continues in many unexpected ways. This has me feeling so incredibly humbled, to say the least.
Be careful, listen to your body, and remember that goodness comes out of nowhere.

€83,-
As caregivers, we can be so hesitant to accept help from others. The reality is that so many wonderful people live in this world and are happy to help someone in need. You would have done the same thing. I am thankful to hear that you are getting the treatment that you need. If you can't finish this trip, there will just have to be another one!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

So sorry @

So sorry! I will never walk without poles. They work as great braces on such down hill stretches.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am fine though will not be able to walk for a few days. This may be the end of my Camino for now, I am not sure. The doctor will examine me tomorrow.
Please keep us posted, and I hope you enjoy the rest time as much as you can.
Tapas can be had by crawling.;)
I will never walk without poles. They work as great braces on such down hill stretches.
Me too. At the same time I know from sad experience that it's possible to take a hard fall even with poles.
And this particular stretch of the Frances takes a lot of heedful vigilance, wet or dry. Take care out there everyone!
Good advice and an upbeat take on life, thanks Christopher!:
Be careful, listen to your body, and remember that goodness comes out of nowhere.

Hey, Camino world. Hello, again, as I resurrect a very old thread. Truly, there is method to my madness as I resurrect a zombie post!
First of all, my 2018 injury ended with ACL replacement surgery, which was successful. Again, no end of wonderful friends and anonymous angels helped me through. Physical Therapy was a nightmare, of course, but made all the difference.
Secondly, I returned to the Camino in Autumn of 2022. Like many, I had hoped to return in 2020 but, well. My Camino that began 5 September 2022 started in St. Jean and yeah ... I made it all the way to Santiago. You can only imagine how it felt when I approached the trail, just above Ponferrada, where I fell. It was a beautiful, hot, and sunny day ... and I was alone, yet again. And I made it. One of those Camino retakes, I guess. And, yeah ... I cried again.
Third, my Camino angels ... Vincent, his wife, Roseanne, and Jose, were in my heart the entire time. I was able to help a few folks along the way last year, returning the love to the Camino.
Why am I rambling?
I am grateful to this forum, those who post, who question, etc. My hope is to return to the Camino in Autumn of 2024, making it all the way to Muxia this time around.
Thanks for reading. I was on the Camino at this time last year so it was in my heart. I don't know if I can be helpful to anyone here but I want to be.
Peace and Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hola @FChristopher1 thank you for "filling us in" on your post Camino 2018 adventures. Most pilgrims feel too embarrassed to admit failure. In relation to those "good samaritans well there is a saying "the Camino will provide". In your case it provided in spades (to use a Bridge expression).
So glad to hear that you did return in 2022 and walk the full camino frances. I can fully understand your trepidation walking from the Cruz to Ponferrada.
Hope you are now planning your next Camino. So a very special Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back