A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

A Laxe albergue gets 250,000 €

0 Euro Camino Bank Note

peregrina2000

Staff member
I know a lot of peregrinos have not enjoyed their stay in the albergue in A Laxe. Looks like the Xunta has heard your complaints— 250,000 for improvements, getting rid of the humidity, etc.

But that’s not the most surprising thing in that article. It says that a total of 6 million euros will be spent on Caminos in Galicia. 1.6 million in towns on the Sanabrés, 1.4 million in towns on the Invierno, and — GASP — 3 million for signage. That’s a lot of yellow paint. :)

gollygolly

Camino(s) past & future
2000, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
My goodness - I recall the A Laxe albuergue as a very interesting building, though very little in the way of close by facilities, such as shops, and a short hike to get to the nearest bar. The alburgue went through some works a couple of years back, though the terrible problems with mosquitoes continued.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Fingers crossed they don't spend the money on "improving" the path.
Well, this sentence has me very worried— roughly translated — The government has already approved the solicitation of 8 maintenance contacts for the Galician parts of the Via de la Plata and Invierno. Given what the Primitivo now looks like in Galicia, with crushed rock replacing almost every single path, I imagine “maintenance” will involve a real boost for the local hormigón industry.

peregrina2000

Staff member

Jim

Camino(s) past & future
2006- Camino Portuguese
2008- Camino Frances
2009- Sanabres extension of the VDLP
2010- Camino Frances
2011- Camino Potuguese
2014- Camino Frances
2017- Camino Finisterre
Crushed rock is horrible! I've chosen the road shoulder to avoid this material-- felt it was kinder to my body.

Last edited:

Shirley Proctor

Camino(s) past & future
From Salamanca 2012 From Pamploma 2006
Rode bike on VDLP 2018 from Seville and El Norte from Irun
I hope they put in some Australian long drop dunnies (ie toilets)

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
I've just read back over my notes because I didn't remember that albergue being bad? We were there in November so maybe it's better in autumn?

My blog says... Our albergue tonight is another xunta. It’s a lovely building with comfy sofas and hot showers. it’s all a bit modern concrete but fabulous nonetheless. If you find yourselves in A Laxe visit Ma Jose… it’s really excellent food! I remember that evening and it was wonderful :)

MJB

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (in sections 2004, 2012, 2015); Portugues (from Oporto 2013); Primitivo (from Castroverde) 2012; Invierno (2016)

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
'Portuguese,Frances,Norte,Salvador/primitivo,Le puy, Inglés, CDM, Invierno, Fin/Mux, VDLP spring19
I did the Invierno and Primitivo in April of different years and the stretches with gravel were a lot easier than the ones with mud.
@MJB I ‘sort of ‘ agree with you. Gravel covering the sloppier muddier sections would be welcome in my opinion, however if the trucks just dump this gravel or rock along the whole way , even on sections that don’t suffer from mud, it would be a shame. Part of the beauty is the change in walking paths.

Buen Camino
Annie

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%