• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Laxe albergue now closed for some weeks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After a number of management problems the municipal albergue in A Laxe has been closed for an unspecified period. The Xunta state that they hope to reopen it in "a number of weeks" but give no specific date.

https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...revision-pleno-agosto/0003_201708D20C1996.htm
If I remember correctly from earlier this year the trouble was with years-long hospitalera. Don't recall the actuall facts though.
Anyway I didn't like it and two years ago I was told from the owner of the restaurant further up on the main road, that there were zillions of mosquitos. Well, as long as those weren't bed bugs ;)

If I remember correctly from earlier this year the trouble was with years-long hospitalera. Don't recall the actuall facts though.
Anyway I didn't like it and two years ago I was told from the owner of the restaurant further up on the main road, that there were zillions of mosquitos. Well, as long as those weren't bed bugs ;)

Well there were 2 summers ago when it was also closed. Unfortunately we only found out when we were standing at the front door!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I liked it, and it's the only albergue I've stayed in 5 times, but admittedly only in November and December, so no worries about mosquitoes. Twice the local Galician music group was rehearsing when I'm was there, which was fun (especially as they stopped at 10pm). It would be a bummer to arrive and find it closed, as there's not much in the way of alternative accommodation nearby, and it's quite a long day from Oseira.

Hope it's reopened by the time I get there in December (the bar María José, on the main road a couple of 100 yards further on, does very decent food - I think there was one plate and no pans for the albergue's huge kitchen.)

I stayed in A Laxe albergue in February and found it a peculiar experience. The hospitalera told me that most of the lights were not working and in fact only the toilets, showers and one sitting area had functional lights. None in the hallways or dormitory. There were also several areas where water was leaking into the building and lying in pools on the floor. I hope that these problems have been dealt with by now.

I have stayed there several times over the past 12 years and have seen a slow decline in upkeep and hygiene. I personally always got along fine with the hospitalera, but I know others had less than pleasant encounters. Maybe there will be new management soon, like there is in Ponte Ulla.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This article about the number of peregrinos going through Lalín says that the albergue in A Laxe was closed for a week in August. That makes it sound like it is open again. Anyone been there lately?

https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...no-lalin-pasaron-4200/0003_201709D10C2994.htm
So it is not a bad result although much of the number is from Sanabres and nobody really count the Invierno pilgrims:
"En el caso del albergue de A Laxe, de titularidad de la Xunta, a la que el edil agradeció la presteza en facilitarle los datos, las pernoctas fueron 974 de las cuales en junio fueron 349, en julio 299 y en agosto 326 cifra, esta última, explicable por reducida si se considera que estuvo cerrado una semana."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Albergue in the centre of Lalin is absolutely wonderful - Great location in a 4th floor apartment in the commercial center, spotlessly clean, well heated throughout (even a fan heater in the shower room), coin-operated washing machine and dryer, well equipped kitchen, refrigerator stocked with some drinks (and with an honesty box for payment), Nespresso machine (!). It is managed by one of the nicest guys that I met during my camino - Emiliano Garcia (Vice President of the Lalin Camino Association). He runs the Casa do Gato bar/restaurant about 50m away:
https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...ntro-urbano-lalinense/0003_201707D14C4991.htm

Since the Camino de Sanabres does not pass through Lalin city centre, you must divert from the Sanabres path at A Xesta or Estación de Lalin to reach it. See this map for details:
https://www.gronze.com/etapa/cea/lalin

From the Lalin Albergue, it's about 4km to the Albergue at A Laxe, where the Invierno and the Sanabres merge.

(Leave the Albergue, walk through the covered shopping arcade, take a moment to say hello to the bronze pig, then go downhill to the river where you will find an arrow. Unfortunately, you won't see many arrows after that. First you have a pleasant walk through a park with several bridges and paths that all end up in the same place, then you have less pleasant walk through an industrial park until you reach the big roundabout at A Laxe, and a short distance later, the A Laxe Albergue. After that, you will see plenty of arrows again).

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back