• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A\lbergue San Juan De Ortega on July 18 2016

Mrs. D

Time of past OR future Camino
6 August 2015
Arrived in San Juan De Ortega on July 18th and checked into the municipal albergue there. Went up to pick out our beds. It was so smelly( musty) but we picked our beds out anyway as it is the only albergue there. A young couple came in after us and started checking their beds with torches. My partner went over to see what they were at and they showed him a cluster of bed bugs under their matress. We hightailed it out of there and checked into the hotel. They did not close the ace down. Only removed the offending matress. A friend of ours who stayed there that night woke up with numerous bites on her the next morning. We have being on the camino now for 16 days and this is the only place where we have come across them though I know of someone else who got a really bad dose of them in Los Acros. It's not good enough removing one matress!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Who looks after the albergue at San Juan de Ortega? I have never stayed in it; always go past.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't think 'musty' and 'bed bugs' necessarily go together. I stayed at that albergue in 2007 and it was musty and bed bug free.

I sent a quick note to the hospitalero at San Juan de Ortega and received this reply:

"We have certainly had an incidence on a pilgrim who came with bedbugs and not realized it. Fortunately we could tackle quickly the situation with the company specializing in disinfection, dis-insection and extermination, with which we have a contract for maintenance of the facilities and that gives us the treatment two times a year.

The quick action of the company has made it possible to put an end to the problem and we can say that today it is totally eliminated.

Thank you for your interest and we back the need to be aware of the health impact on the Camino".

Thought I read somewhere that that "musty" smell can be a clue that there are bedbugs, too.
San Juan de Ortga has smelled musty for over 100 years! Years ago one sniff was enough for me and I have always walked on to Agés where there are two nice enough albergues and a Burgos city map for all!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Stayed there once in " the good old days", but never again.

I stayed there in 2013 and enjoyed it. It wasn't the private room that is my preference, but the bunk was comfortable enough. There is something about the lighting in the church on certain evenings thruout the year, and I was lucky enough to be in attendance for that.

Where in los arcos were the bed bugs ???

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
San Juan de Ortga has smelled musty for over 100 years! Years ago one sniff was enough for me and I have always walked on to Agés where there are two nice enough albergues and a Burgos city map for all!

LOVED Agés. What an interesting place. Don't remember the name of the albergue I stayed in but it was great.

Where in los arcos were the bed bugs ???

Any place can have bedbugs if a pilgrim arrived before you carrying bedbugs. And any place that pilgrim stays after that could have bedbugs next - and nobody knows where that will be. Of course it is good to know the response policy of certain albergues when bedbugs are reported, too.

I carried a Sea to Summit sleeping bag liner that included an "insect shield."
http://www.seatosummit.com/product/...r+Liner+-+Insect+Shield®&o1=0&o2=0&o3=128
I also sprayed it with Sawyer's pyrethrin insecticide. However I hated the feel of the tech fabric and the closed in feeling when I got inside it (even though it was rectangular), so I often didn't use it. I didn't get bedbugs, but I DID get scabies, I found out after I got home. I think next time I will bring some kind of fabric blend in a rectangular shape, spray it with Sawyer's, and use it as a tucked in bottom sheet on the bed.

I carried a Sea to Summit sleeping bag liner that included an "insect shield."
http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Coolmax®+Adaptor+Traveller+Liner+-+Insect+Shield®&o1=0&o2=0&o3=128
I also sprayed it with Sawyer's pyrethrin insecticide. However I hated the feel of the tech fabric and the closed in feeling when I got inside it (even though it was rectangular), so I often didn't use it. I didn't get bedbugs, but I DID get scabies, I found out after I got home. I think next time I will bring some kind of fabric blend in a rectangular shape, spray it with Sawyer's, and use it as a tucked in bottom sheet on the bed.
Hi JillGat. I was looking at that Sea to Summit liner online. It seems to be quite large. Do you think you could put a light weight sleeping bag inside the liner? That would give protection and a little extra warmth if necessary, without having the yucky feel of the fabric.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi JillGat. I was looking at that Sea to Summit liner online. It seems to be quite large. Do you think you could put a light weight sleeping bag inside the liner? That would give protection and a little extra warmth if necessary, without having the yucky feel of the fabric.

I never needed more warmth. I don't like being restrained while I'm sleeping(tossing/turning), so a bottom sheet and quilt is the perfect combo for me. The sleep sack isn't that big.. it's about the size of a narrow-ish rectanguar bag.

Oh geez, I love these bedbug stories and the comradery of how to fight them. I feel like we are bunch of hobos from the Great Depression, riding the rails and occasionally sleeping with blood sucking critters. There is a certain romance around it all! Where is Woody Guthrie, darn it?!?!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.