• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A leisurely start from St Jean Pied de Port

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, can anyone recommend a budget place to overnight in St Jean Pied de Port for 8 single ladies, where we are NOT tossed out by 8am? I have checked all the places listed in Gronze, and most of them give the evening curfew time, but not the tossing out time. Besides the gites, I have also looked at all the hotels but all the rooms are double beds, not twin beds. We can top-to-tail in emergencies, but I don’t want to pre-plan such places.

We don’t want to leave early with the hoards, but have a leisurely breakfast, do some last minute shopping (when the shops are open), visit the Pilgrim Office, and so arrive at Orisson about mid-afternoon (they have rolled over our reservation to 2021).

I am of course assuming we can travel in a year’s time. If I have to, I’ll roll over again to the following year, but in the meantime I need something to plan for, and look forward to as we can’t travel this year, and I love the planning and researching bit. Many thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed in Gite d'Etape Azkorria, and was having such a nice talk with the proprieter and I had a hard time getting away in the morning! Mind you, this was early March and there were not that many people walking yet. I stayed two nights, and the second night I was the only person there.

I stayed at the Hotel Ramuntcho because it is right in the centre of St Jean just off the main road at the start od the Camino and close to the Pilgrim Office. I had exactly the opposite problem because I wanted to start out early and before they served breakfast. So no breakfast for me that day though I did buy food at the little supermarket the evening before. I think that it's a great idea to stay at Orisson and to take it easy. I walked to Roncesvalles in one go with a pack that was far too heavy. At some points on the climb I thought that I was going to die. At other points, I wanted to. 🙂 Joking apart, take it easy as you have planned and have a wonderful Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I stayed in Gite d'Etape Azkorria, and was having such a nice talk with the proprieter and I had a hard time getting away in the morning! Mind you, this was early March and there were not that many people walking yet. I stayed two nights, and the second night I was the only person there.

Having stayed with them twice, I enthusiastically second the recommendation for Azkorria!

Alain and Isobel are wonderful hosts and the accommodations are well-maintained.

For the size of the group though, I would recommend an early communication to them to make sure that you all fit with beds acceptable to you. They have a mix of single, double, and bunk beds though I do not remember the exact count of each.

Buen Camino!

B

If things don't work out with a hotel maybe you could find an albergue that will give you better hours in exchange for more money. They will be needing that and the other pilgrims would be appreciative too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
... so arrive at Orisson about mid-afternoon (they have rolled over our reservation to 2021).
While no doubt a good thing for those whose travel plans were affected for this year, I guess it will put a damper on those of us who were planning for '21. If the '20 reservations for Orisson (and other places) are simply rolled over then we wont have a chance to make any 'new' ones come November or not 😢

Nothing personal to the OP just merely commenting on the fact itself.

While no doubt a good thing for those whose travel plans were affected for this year, I guess it will put a damper on those of us who were planning for '21. If the '20 reservations for Orisson (and other places) are simply rolled over then we wont have a chance to make any 'new' ones come November or not 😢

Nothing personal to the OP just merely commenting on the fact itself.
Hmmm...interesting thought/observation.

It's not a universal thing (going to your desire for twin beds in 2 man rooms) but often the "double" beds are just 2 twins pushed together. You could get in contact with them--the place you're thinking about--and ask about it.

Buen camino y'all

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just my 2 cents worth—reflecting only my own experience and preference.

*I’d suggest staying 2 nights in SJPP. The day you arrive is usually a long, hectic travel day so it’s in the PM. First thing, get in line at the Pilgrim Office and do all that. Check in at your albergue. Go for a walk and get the lay of the land of this very unique and compact Camino-oriented town. Eat and drink. Some albergues have an activity in the evening which I highly recommend as a way of meeting people. Sleep.

*Day Two. Enjoy walking, shopping, eating, drinking, relaxing. A beautiful slow day between travel and Camino.

*Day Three. Get up when everyone else does. Eat breakfast. Hit the Camino as early as you can. You get some of the most beautiful photogenic shots of the whole Camino that morning. It’s a strenuous day. Much better to hit it as early as you can. You will thank me! Some albergues only allow one night so you might need to talk to them or you might need to move after your first night.

*One more suggestion that often provokes controversy here. I have no doubt that you could do SJPP to Orisson right now today. But I’d also say that whatever fitness level one has—couch potato to Olympic marathoner—by a little bit of training you can make that day go easier. I found that by going on long walks and by seeking out some steps to climb. You will thank yourself for whatever training you put into it during this next year. I found it as a time to meditate and prepare mentally for my Camino. Buen Camino!!

Last edited:
*I’d suggest staying 2 nights in SJPP.
If you if you have the time, I absolutely agree!
I arrived in the evening, about 7PM, had the whole next day to shop and poke around, and really lucked out because it was a market day and it could buy local cheese, fruit, and bread. Then the next day I walked to Roncesvalles via Valcarlos.

Day Three. Get up when everyone else does. Eat breakfast. Hit the Camino as early as you can.
I disagree about getting an early start if walking to Orisson. Last year I set out around 11 am, and arrived by early afternoon. It's a lovely spot, but I wouldn't want to get there before around 1:00 pm, as there isn't much to do.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Isn’t much to do in Orisson!?!?!? Savage! A bottle of wine, a hunk of cheese, a loaf of bread, the sunshine on their porch overlooking the beautiful green valley - who needs anything more than that? 😎

Isn’t much to do in Orisson!?!?!? Savage! A bottle of wine, a hunk of cheese, a loaf of bread, the sunshine on their porch overlooking the beautiful green valley - who needs anything more than that? 😎
Yes, but I still wouldn't want to be hanging out for 7-8 hours before dinner. I'd rather have a relaxing morning and breakfast in SJPdP before starting out. And it's not always sunny, last year it was cold and wet.

*Day Two. Enjoy walking, shopping, eating, drinking, relaxing. A beautiful slow day between travel and Camino.
Jill, since your group will be taking the Napoleon route, if you take a second day like @Zordmot describes, you could include a leisurely walk to Arneguy or Valcarlos and back.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, can anyone recommend a budget place to overnight in St Jean Pied de Port for 8 single ladies, where we are NOT tossed out by 8am? I have checked all the places listed in Gronze, and most of them give the evening curfew time, but not the tossing out time. Besides the gites, I have also looked at all the hotels but all the rooms are double beds, not twin beds. We can top-to-tail in emergencies, but I don’t want to pre-plan such places.

We don’t want to leave early with the hoards, but have a leisurely breakfast, do some last minute shopping (when the shops are open), visit the Pilgrim Office, and so arrive at Orisson about mid-afternoon (they have rolled over our reservation to 2021).

I am of course assuming we can travel in a year’s time. If I have to, I’ll roll over again to the following year, but in the meantime I need something to plan for, and look forward to as we can’t travel this year, and I love the planning and researching bit. Many thanks!
Belari is a good location. Directly across the street from the Pilgrim Office. Individual beds. The room I stayed in with 2 other gals had 3 beds with adequate space between each. If you don't leave early and you leisurely shop before leaving SJPdP, don't plan on getting to Orisson by noon unless you are running or driving. The climb is a challenge. Best wishes.

I too love Beilari. It’s not only extremely convenient but the food is great, albergue is spotlessly clean, the owners are great, but they offer a fun evening of getting to know each other. I met 2 people that night that are now lifelong friends!

Having said that about Beilari, the first time for me I stayed in an Airbnb. This one is set up to easily accommodate 8 in a group. Large common kitchen. 5 min walk to supermarket and laundromat, 10 min to Camino office. I have his address that I’d send to you. That’s the only way to contact him because Airbnb is shut down at present.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So did I. Wasn't kicked out early and really friendly. That was in July.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just looked at the AirBnB site, and it looks like they are accepting reservations for 2021.

ok, the Airbnb name for that property is:

La croisee des chemins chambre privee

if you google that it will take you to that page in Airbnb

Thank you all for your answers and comments, much appreciated. For those who don’t know me, I have spent many hours in St Jean Pied de Port on three previous visits, and have stayed at Orisson twice before, and the albergue in Valcarlos once. I would happily walk via Valcarlos again, as I love that route, but the others want to stay at Orisson. We will be arriving in St Jean about midday, so we will have the whole afternoon there, which in my opinion is plenty enough time to explore the town.

We are all experienced hikers from the local hiking club, and we live in a hilly area, so I have no fears about the walk up to Orisson. There is absolutely no point getting there before mid-afternoon, especially if it is raining.

I am usually well prepared for a camino ☺, but I have learnt, after taking groups before, that there is always someone who needs something from the pharmacy / delicatessen / outdoor equipment shop / cell phone shop / whatever / before we can set off in the morning. I am anticipating the same in St Jean 😂.

Beilari is not an option, apart from the fact that they serve breakfast early. They have only 14 beds, and I don’t want to lessen the experience of the communal evening for other newbie pilgrims by bringing my group of 8. Beilari is a great place for single pilgrims to start their journey. If I remember correctly, the previous owners even refused to take bookings for groups.

Hotel Ramuntcho does indeed have twin bed rooms, and we’d love to stay there, but at 45 euros per person per night, plus 10 euros for un petit déjeuner per person, it’s not “budget” for us cash-strapped South Africans. Hotel Central is in the same price range.

The airbnb mentioned has only one bedroom for two guests.

Gîte et Chambres Azkorria looks promising, as their check out time is 6:30 to 9:00. They are not exactly budget either at 24 euros per person per night in a bunk bed, plus 7 euros for breakfast, but worth looking at for my group. Thanks for that recommendation – I hadn’t looked at it closely before.

Any other recommendations for 8 separate beds in budget accommodation and a leisurely start to the day?

Thank you all for your answers and comments, much appreciated. For those who don’t know me, I have spent many hours in St Jean Pied de Port on three previous visits, and have stayed at Orisson twice before, and the albergue in Valcarlos once. I would happily walk via Valcarlos again, as I love that route, but the others want to stay at Orisson. We will be arriving in St Jean about midday, so we will have the whole afternoon there, which in my opinion is plenty enough time to explore the town.

We are all experienced hikers from the local hiking club, and we live in a hilly area, so I have no fears about the walk up to Orisson. There is absolutely no point getting there before mid-afternoon, especially if it is raining.

I am usually well prepared for a camino ☺, but I have learnt, after taking groups before, that there is always someone who needs something from the pharmacy / delicatessen / outdoor equipment shop / cell phone shop / whatever / before we can set off in the morning. I am anticipating the same in St Jean 😂.

Beilari is not an option, apart from the fact that they serve breakfast early. They have only 14 beds, and I don’t want to lessen the experience of the communal evening for other newbie pilgrims by bringing my group of 8. Beilari is a great place for single pilgrims to start their journey. If I remember correctly, the previous owners even refused to take bookings for groups.

Hotel Ramuntcho does indeed have twin bed rooms, and we’d love to stay there, but at 45 euros per person per night, plus 10 euros for un petit déjeuner per person, it’s not “budget” for us cash-strapped South Africans. Hotel Central is in the same price range.

The airbnb mentioned has only one bedroom for two guests.

Gîte et Chambres Azkorria looks promising, as their check out time is 6:30 to 9:00. They are not exactly budget either at 24 euros per person per night in a bunk bed, plus 7 euros for breakfast, but worth looking at for my group. Thanks for that recommendation – I hadn’t looked at it closely before.

Any other recommendations for 8 separate beds in budget accommodation and a leisurely start to the day?

Regarding that Airbnb—-did you contact Henri the owner? When I stayed there last year he had a large basque home with multiple bedrooms that were all available. Perhaps only one bedroom was advertised on Airbnb?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I like Gite Compostelle. Older, and a bit rough, but clean and recently taken over by new owners in the past couple of years. Their prices are quite affordable and they have twin beds in many rooms. One block from the main street - let me know if you need their email address.

Last year I stayed in a private room in Gite Bidean, but they have dorms with curtained bunk beds. According to Booking.com their check out time is between 6-10.

Last year I stayed in a private room in Gite Bidean, but they have dorms with curtained bunk beds. According to Booking.com their check out time is between 6-10.

Bunk beds would suit fine , 10 am shopping with bags left in one room , hard to beat.

You can do what we did a few years ago: stay in San Sebastian (a great place!), take an AM train to SJPdP in time for the pilgrims's lunch at one of the many restaurants, get your passport at the pilgrim office, and then start off for Orrisson. It's only a couple or three hours walking after all.

Try Itzalpea in SJPP. It is a family owned property (Mother and daughter) and they may be open to extending hours. Very comfortable place to stay.....

I like Gite Compostelle. Older, and a bit rough, but clean and recently taken over by new owners in the past couple of years. Their prices are quite affordable and they have twin beds in many rooms. One block from the main street - let me know if you need their email address.

Ah, that’s interesting, thanks Annie. I had dismissed Gite Compostella as the reviews aren’t that great (and my group are savvy to things like that). But as YOU’ve mentioned it (from one group leader to another so you understand what I am looking for) I checked it out again. They are certainly in our budget range. Their email address is on Gronze, so I’ll send them a message. Thanks! Any ideas how many beds they have in total? I’m wondering if I could rent the whole place for my group only.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

We are actually booked into Gite Bidean for this year :D, but I am having no joy so far with changing the date to next year. In the meantime I thought I’d ask this very knowledgeable forum for other places to stay.

Try Itzalpea in SJPP. It is a family owned property (Mother and daughter) and they may be open to extending hours. Very comfortable place to stay.....

At a minimum of 45 euros per person per night B&B it is out of our budget 😢.

Ah, that’s interesting, thanks Annie. I had dismissed Gite Compostella as the reviews aren’t that great (and my group are savvy to things like that). But as YOU’ve mentioned it (from one group leader to another so you understand what I am looking for) I checked it out again. They are certainly in our budget range. Their email address is on Gronze, so I’ll send them a message. Thanks! Any ideas how many beds they have in total? I’m wondering if I could rent the whole place for my group only.

I'm not sure the number of beds. They used to have "double" rooms, as well as dorms, and they used to have an apartment available. I've only stayed once, the year after the new people took over, so I'm not sure what updates they've made. Personally, Joe and I loved the place when the old owners had it. They were very kind to us and always celebrated when our group was there. Anyway, the new owners are young(er) and I'd say, just ask questions and ask for photos? I mean, it's not the Ritz, but it is certainly an "authentic" Camino experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
According to Gronze, they have 14 beds in total in 5 rooms

Gite Compostelle.jpg

According to Gronze, they have 14 beds in total in 5 rooms

That’s what it says on Gronze, but if you go into booking.com, and choose an empty date (not difficult at the moment ☹), you can select ALL the options and end up booking 20 beds altogether (for a total of 514 euros) 🤔.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back