• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A light sleeper's nightmare

Trekster

I am a light sleeper's nightmare. I have sleep apnea, I snore and I have restless legs.

I don't want to keep others from a good night's sleep, but also don't want to miss out on the camaraderie of the camino by taking private rooms each night. I have had dental impressions made for a Silent Night snore guard and am hopeful that will help.

Does anyone have a list of the albergues (Camino Frances) with rooms for snorers?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Trekster said:
I am a light sleeper's nightmare. I have sleep apnea, I snore and I have restless legs.
Hi Trekster! When are you going? If it's a fairly quiet time you may be able to find a corner of the room away from other pilgs. Don't be shy about explaining to your room mates that you're not being anti-social but in fact the opposite.

Restless legs on the Camino are a real advantage. :D Buen Camino!

tyrrek said:
If it's a fairly quiet time you may be able to find a corner of the room
Quiet time? You are really having fun with me, aren't you Tyrrek!

The big day for these restless legs is June 19...high season, and "yikes" day for my future roomies. With that in mind, I'll pin my hopes on their compassion and this new "Silent Night" device.

I'd also appreciate getting the names of albergues with rooms for snorers -- and I have a feeling the light sleepers will appreciate it, too.

I'm so eager to start this camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Trekster,
I don't know the names of those albergues, although there are a few. It's nice of you to think of others, but there are some prodigious snorers around! There are threads on this forum that cover the issue in depth!
You are not alone, and don't let it put you off the albergue experience.
Buen camino :)

The separate room for snorers concept did not really catch on, so don't plan on them. Typically, a single room is 20-25 Euro, so that always is an option for you. You are very considerate to be concerned for fellow pilgrims, but don't let it become a hair shirt. Half the people I met who complained about snoring were actually snorers themselves! No one who objects to snorers should consider staying in albergues. They are communal sleeping conditions, and one should expect snorers.

Well what can u say? Its really considerate of you to think about the effects of your snoring on others..During my Camino i didnt come across any so called rooms for snorers...
I myself have nothing against people who snore, indeed some of my best friends snore!
What i think a lot a people are concerned about is having their sleep disturbed. Especially after a very long and tiring day.. Having a good rest/sleep becomes central to all that you do on the camino.
Its essential! Myself i am a light sleeper without a doubt and it took a bit of time for me to adjust to the communal sleeping arrangements. However it is possible! Making sure you purchase only the very best ear plugs is probably the most important thing..And i do mean the best! Not the cheap foam ones, but the waxy ones that mould right into your ear.. They really do work!
Single rooms are always an option and should not be ruled out or in , by snorers and non snorers alike!
Sometimes you just need that time out. I found that there was no loss of comaraderie in doing this...This will very much depend on the individual.
I think possibly the most important thing though is" Attitude" , really i think its everything! Accepting that their will be people who snore, that from time to time you will be disturbed etc.. Dont let it worry you..Its part of the camino experience.
Yep patience and tolerence is what its all about, although that is just my humble opinion..Buen Camino :arrow:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you are really worried about bothering fellow pilgrims, plan on taking a baggie full of disposable ear-plugs for those pilgrims that forgot to pack them. While it won't keep you from snoring, it will help your fellow pilgrims get through the night. I'm sure that they would be incredibly thankful for the gesture, and it is a pretty minor investment for you, both in terms of price and weight.

I hope you have a great Camino! I'm a little jealous, as my Camino won't start until Dec. 9th of this year.

Blessings,

Ruth

Thanks for your responses. There have been so many comments about snoring on the forum that I was getting concerned. I will just start walking and see what happens. If it becomes a issue I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Hair shirts have never been my style, but fuzzy legs may be on the horizon. (How many grams is a razor? :wink: )

Thanks again.

I have used a Silent Night device for about a year now. My traveling companions are no longer bothered by my attempts to mimic a locomotive. However, I was a snorer, not a sleep apnea victim. So you may find the device does not resolve your individual situation. The only way to know is to try it out!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've had my Silent Night for about six weeks and my husband says he hasn't slept better in years. I don't have any more worries about keeping others awake at night. Yeah!

ha ha just wait till he gets pissed that you made it out of consideration of total strangers in spain and not for him years ago :lol:

anyways I will take snoring over people rustling bags and packing at 4 am any day....

It had been quite a few years since I'd had reason to share my room with a woman, so when I offered to share with a lady in distress on the CF I didn't even considered the snoring aspect.
Sure enough I was woken by the snoring of the lady in question at around 3am.
And what a lovely, calming, reassuring sound it was.
I lay awake for an hour or so in enjoyment.
Another of the great pleasures of the Camino.

Regds
Gerard

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just tell every one in the room that you snore and apologise.
It's a good idea to have ear pugs to give away , with a smile.

Always interested in devices that can reduce snoring (for my brother-in-law, you understand), so I googled your Silent Night. The one I found is a device that you wear via a wrist-strap. When it hears snoring it gives the wearer a tiny electrical shock that isn't intended to wake them, but causes them to adjust their sleeping position, which often means they stop snoring. I can see that this may be a fine solution when one is just sharing a room with a long-suffering significant other. But what happens when you are in a room full of snoring pilgrims? Could make for some tingly and fidgety nights...

It's the Silent Nite (tm) snore guard device from glidewelldental.com

I can assure you there's nothing electrical about it at all!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.