• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A likeable fellow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I wish to show respect for a fellow pilgrim on the forum and humble sorrow for his departure: @falcon269.

I don’t know exactly when @falcon269 joined the forum but think it was more than ten years ago, sometime before October 2009 when I first clicked in. To me, it seemed that Falcon was often here, somewhere, welcoming newcomers, providing intelligent comment and information, occasionally stirring things up. I was in awe of his intellect but rarely had the wit to write on the same page.

When the forum began collecting and publishing data the results were astonishing. Who would have guessed that falcon269 had posted thousands upon thousands of messages, more than anyone else? How many hours a day did this fellow spend here, with us?

And for someone who loathed the ‘like’ button isn’t it ironic that falcon269 consistently gained the highest reaction score of us all? When @JohnnieWalker received a tick from Falcon it was newsworthy, considering that Falcon described “liking” as

"passionless; pap for the teen who has not learned to Love and Hate, or even complete a sentence without putting the qualifying "like" somewhere in it so he makes no commitment to the sentence's content. It would take a nuanced Scale-of-One-to-Ten to give everyone a gradient from which to choose. "Like" gives you the choice between saying nothing and a "5." It is beige; oatmeal without a topping; tepid water; non-alcoholic beer; decaf coffee. Please, please, please save us from Zuckerberg!", https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/whats-new/posts/4910532/

I sometimes wondered about falcon269, who he was, and I wasn’t the only one. Here’s what @Vicrev had to say:

“I am getting a vision of this...." Falcon"....as someone mysterious,awe inspiring,somewhat a sage,something like the Phantom in comic books of old,but,I have an imagination that sometimes runs riot,so please ignore this post............no malice,disrespect,applied or intended……..go Falc!!........ …Vicrev”

I do hope @falcon269 returns to the Forum someday.
Wishing him good health and blessings in these troubled times.

-Lovingkindness

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am glad that you have to some extent clarified that "The Falcon" has (apparently) taken a leave of absence from the Forum. At first I thought you were writing to tell us of his demise. I agree it would be a better forum if he were to return. (Where did you see that he was taking leave - I don't search all sections so must have missed this info). Cheers

Lovingkindness,
I share your kind thoughts and memories of Falcon269.

We three go back many years to the easier times of 2009; in those early years of the Forum it was such fun to share tips and even place names as we posted. Such sharing helped renew our personal camino memories.

Wherever Falcon may be now I, too, wish him a safe and healthy future. It would indeed be a true pleasure to read his comments in future fresh posts.

Margaret

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am glad that you have to some extent clarified that "The Falcon" has (apparently) taken a leave of absence from the Forum. At first I thought you were writing to tell us of his demise. I agree it would be a better forum if he were to return. (Where did you see that he was taking leave - I don't search all sections so must have missed this info). Cheers

Hello, @Saint Mike II
...I had been missing Falcon, he seemed to be absent. On searching for his name the words "deleted member" appeared on his avatar. I do not wish to shock but whenever I see these words I get a little upset...

Last edited:
@lovingkindness, thank you for this. I was so puzzled, seeing a post in an old thread that was clearly his, but with a 'deleted member' number and no longer the familiar avatar. Usually when somebody disappears, we somehow hear about it, but Falcon just seemed to vanish. So I hope he is well, and comes back.

Lovingkindness,
I share your kind thoughts and memories of Falcon269.

We three go back many years to the easier times of 2009; in those early years of the Forum it was such fun to share tips and even place names as we posted. Such sharing helped renew our personal camino memories.

Wherever Falcon may be now I, too, wish him a safe and healthy future. It would indeed be a true pleasure to read his comments in future fresh posts.

Margaret
Love to you, too, @mspath

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@lovingkindness, thank you for this. I was so puzzled, seeing a post in an old thread that was clearly his, but with a 'deleted member' number and no longer the familiar avatar. Usually when somebody disappears, we somehow hear about it, but Falcon just seemed to vanish. So I hope he is well, and comes back.
You're welcome.

While we are on the subject, I miss seeing posts by @Al the optimist. I recall he posted quite often back a few years ago with lots of kindness and wisdom to offer...where might he be? Hope all is well with him, too.
There are many I know. I miss them all.
I have contacted Al in recent months though. He did seem ok and mentioned he looks in occasionally..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The reason people are absent from or leave the forum is a personal and private matter and should not be the subject of speculation. For that reason this thread is being closed, and members are asked not to start similar threads when they notice an absence.
Those who remain members of the forum can be contacted by PM.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.