• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A little bit of art please

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
"Maybe, it's the color of the sun cut flat
And coverin' the crossroads I'm standing at
Maybe it's the weather or something like that
But Santiago, you been on my mind"
With apologies to B. Dylan
upload_2015-2-5_9-3-19.jpeg
Jerome Bosch of course.
Perhaps we could open a sub-forum for art depicting pilgrims and Saint James? We all must have a favorite painting or statue, or rendition, even an interesting Matamoros.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Here is my favorite in the Burgos cathedral museum; a 15th century representation of Saint James. Small, about 30cm tall, in gold plate with intricate curly beard and hair, wearing his wide brimmed hat and iconic shells he holds a pilgrim's staff complete with water gourd. Perfect.
25Burgos8.jpg

Last edited:
Fossilised scallop shells, April 2011, sur Le voie de Vezelay. For ten years the owner of these shells had been inviting passing pelerines in for a meal. After an omelette, quiche, blueberry tart and chocolate followed by coffee I staggered out the door happy.. ps Happy New Year, Scruffy1....Yes, I know the shells aren't exactly St J himself but, hey, to me, the meal and shells were art :) scallop shells.jpg

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
"Maybe, it's the color of the sun cut flat
And coverin' the crossroads I'm standing at
Maybe it's the weather or something like that
But Santiago, you been on my mind"
With apologies to B. Dylan
View attachment 16203
Jerome Bosch of course.
Perhaps we could open a sub-forum for art depicting pilgrims and Saint James? We all must have a favorite painting or statue, or rendition, even an interesting Matamoros.
Aaaah, Jeroen Bosch. He's from my hometown. I even went to a school named after him. We also have hospitals, museums ect named Jeroen Bosch. He's a famous guy :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Church of belgian Kemzeke...oak statue
http://www.deuzie.be/artikels/27-1-2-St-Jacob slot deel 2.htm
Scroll to nr. 20

And this lovely triptiek!
http://vlaamseprimitieven.vlaamseku...tretten-van-willem-edelheere-en-aleidis-cappu

Copier of Rogier van der Weyden, ‘Edelheere Triptych with the Descent from the Cross and portraits of Willem Edelheere en Aleydis Cappuyns’
In approximately 1435, Rogier van der Weyden painted his world-famous Deposition (now in the Prado in Madrid; the side panels have been lost) for the Chapel of Our Lady of Ginderbuyten in Leuven. From the moment of its creation, the work was considered to be an absolute masterpiece, considering that a copy was made shortly afterwards. This copy is the first in a whole series commissioned from an unknown painter by Willem Edelheere.

The left side panel depicts Willem Edelheere (+1439), his two sons and Saint James the Greater, while the right side panel depicts Edelheere’s wife Aleydis Cappuyns and their two daughters, accompanied by Saint Aleydis (Alice). The coats of arms of the two families are to be seen at the top of the side panels.

The following is written on the right back panel of the Edelheere Triptych: dese tafel heeft veree(r)t he(re)n Wille(m) Edelhee(re) // en(de) Alyt syn werdinne int iaer ons heeren mcccc en xliij (this panel has honoured sir Willem Edelheere // and Alyt, his wife, in the year of our Lord 1443). The inscription dates the work to 1443. Willem had already died by that time. Aleydis only died a few years later, in 1449 or 1450. The triptych was placed on the family altar in Saint Peter’s Church as a kind of monument of commemoration.

The iconography of the painting is clearly linked to its function. The centre panel depicts the deposition. The left back panel features a badly damaged Throne of Mercy in grisaille. God the Father, crowned with a tiara, holds up his dead son. He is accompanied by the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove. The right side panel, which is better preserved, depicts Saint John supporting the swooning Mary.

The triptych is a funerary monument, through which the bodies of Christ and the Madonna on the back panels become objects of devotion and reflection. The swooning Madonna and the Holy Spirit on the back panels and Saint James on the front side panel refer to the altar of the Edelheere Chapel, which was dedicated to these three. The selection and combination of iconographic themes make the Edelheere Triptych an uncommon homogenous whole. The back and front panels are inextricably linked to one another.

Last edited:
Jerome Bosch of course.
A very Masonic piece of at as well. Note the cable tow, bare knee, sandal and more. It is interesting what artists add in a piece

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Church of belgian Kemzeke...oak statue
http://www.deuzie.be/artikels/27-1-2-St-Jacob slot deel 2.htm
Scroll to nr. 20

You do realize that classically the three women are Mary, and the Magdalena, and...Mary Salome the mother of Saint James! So we have both in the same repersentation! There is a small church dedicated to Mary Salome in Santiago, have never seen it open.
And this lovely triptiek!
http://vlaamseprimitieven.vlaamseku...tretten-van-willem-edelheere-en-aleidis-cappu

Copier of Rogier van der Weyden, ‘Edelheere Triptych with the Descent from the Cross and portraits of Willem Edelheere en Aleydis Cappuyns’
In approximately 1435, Rogier van der Weyden painted his world-famous Deposition (now in the Prado in Madrid; the side panels have been lost) for the Chapel of Our Lady of Ginderbuyten in Leuven. From the moment of its creation, the work was considered to be an absolute masterpiece, considering that a copy was made shortly afterwards. This copy is the first in a whole series commissioned from an unknown painter by Willem Edelheere.

The left side panel depicts Willem Edelheere (+1439), his two sons and Saint James the Greater, while the right side panel depicts Edelheere’s wife Aleydis Cappuyns and their two daughters, accompanied by Saint Aleydis (Alice). The coats of arms of the two families are to be seen at the top of the side panels.

The following is written on the right back panel of the Edelheere Triptych: dese tafel heeft veree(r)t he(re)n Wille(m) Edelhee(re) // en(de) Alyt syn werdinne int iaer ons heeren mcccc en xliij (this panel has honoured sir Willem Edelheere // and Alyt, his wife, in the year of our Lord 1443). The inscription dates the work to 1443. Willem had already died by that time. Aleydis only died a few years later, in 1449 or 1450. The triptych was placed on the family altar in Saint Peter’s Church as a kind of monument of commemoration.

The iconography of the painting is clearly linked to its function. The centre panel depicts the deposition. The left back panel features a badly damaged Throne of Mercy in grisaille. God the Father, crowned with a tiara, holds up his dead son. He is accompanied by the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove. The right side panel, which is better preserved, depicts Saint John supporting the swooning Mary.

The triptych is a funerary monument, through which the bodies of Christ and the Madonna on the back panels become objects of devotion and reflection. The swooning Madonna and the Holy Spirit on the back panels and Saint James on the front side panel refer to the altar of the Edelheere Chapel, which was dedicated to these three. The selection and combination of iconographic themes make the Edelheere Triptych an uncommon homogenous whole. The back and front panels are inextricably linked to one another.

St James the Great. Notre-Dame d'Amiens, France
amiens_james_greater2_z (1).jpg

http://professor-moriarty.com/info/...reliefs-telling-story-st-james-greater-amiens

Last year as I was following La Somme I came across an impressive polychrome relief of St James the Greater in the cathedral Notre-Dame d' Amiens. It depicts the conversion of Philetus and Hermogenes to Christianity in four scenes. Directly opposite is a memorial honouring soldiers of the New Zealand Division who fought in the WW1 Battle of the Somme.

Cheers...

Last edited:
Couldn't help myself, this is the entrance to Saint James Cathedral here in Jerusalem. Not a scallop shell in sight since the church the Armenians believe they have been here since before the 3rd century. Saint James is figured in the Turin shroud-like figure underneath. The Armenians agree that Saint James is in Spain, well, most of him. They maintain that the head of the saint is in their possession. Considered heretics by both the Eastern and Western churches they have a difficult often violent history. Should you make it to Jerusalem don't miss their mass, a medieval experience
Armenian-Church-2hl2sl0.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back